Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

2002 gs430

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 06:13 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 94 Posts

I like your confidence, but this thread is really triggering me. Kidding, sort of. Doing good work!!
Old 01-07-24, 12:43 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks! I'm definitely pushing the limit of my skills and experience but it's the only way to get better. I'm fortunate to be able to work from home most days and have another car to drive. Otherwise this work would not be happening.

I'm officially over the hump now. Got the driver's mount out and the top half was sheared off. This one took a little more work...rather than pull the mount itself I removed the whole assembly from where it attaches to the block. With the steering rack off, I could get a socket with a swivel on the two rear bolts. At the front, I was just barely able to break the top bolt loose the same way. The bottom one was tricky...had to drop the AC compressor and pull the oil filter housing off. From there I could get a wrench on it then double it up at the end with another to get leverage to break it loose. I really wish I had gotten a set of long offset box wrenches at Harbor Freight. I was looking at them thinking they'd come in handy one day and it would have been perfect for that last bolt. But from there I could remove the whole thing from the rear. There was just enough room to get it out with the steering rack dropped.

But as it stands now, the engine is back down in place, subframe is up, and steering rack is attached. I'm going to actually try and relax and enjoy what's left of the weekend now.

Last edited by JonGS3; 01-07-24 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-09-24, 10:32 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Gotta give a shout out to A-Premium Auto Parts. They've been great about working with me regarding the PS line. They had no problem setting up a return/refund and will inspect the line to see if there was a manufacturing issue with it.
Old 01-10-24, 04:44 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Just got it all back together. That new reservoir looking so fresh and clean. I figure I'll end the night on a high note and start it tomorrow to bleed the PS system and hope that nothing I touched is leaking.

Old 01-11-24, 02:52 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Everything is good so far mechanically. I cannot believe how smooth the engine is now with the new mounts. I can't even feel it running. Here's hoping to no leaks with the power steering system.
Old 01-13-24, 01:30 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Got these old dogs cleaned up

Old 01-13-24, 01:32 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

I pulled my old mufflers off only to realize the flanges on these are about a 1/4" longer than those on the resonator pipes so I couldn't bolt these on. Then had to fight to get my old ones back on which was a real pain in the *** considering my hitch receiver is sandwiched between the body and exhaust hanger brackets so it was all just one big pain in the *** for nothing ugh
Old 01-14-24, 12:18 PM
firelizard

Received 451 Likes on 357 Posts

Those cleaned up nice. Interesting that they didn't just bolt right on, I also would have assumed that they should...
If you do get them installed, please post a clip of how they sound; they're my top contender for an axle-back on my GS430. If you don't get them installed, PM me about selling.
The following users liked this post:
Lurkskywalker (01-14-24)
Old 01-14-24, 02:11 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

I was googling the part number and it looks like they were sold with mid-pipes that replace the resonators so maybe that's why they don't full mate up. But they're definitely getting installed. I'll just need to go to an exhaust shop to have them replace the flanges on the stock mid pipes.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (01-14-24)
Old 01-14-24, 07:10 PM
Lurkskywalker
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Man those polished up great. Can’t wait to hear them on the car
Old 01-14-24, 09:01 PM
firelizard

Received 451 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGS3
I was googling the part number and it looks like they were sold with mid-pipes that replace the resonators so maybe that's why they don't full mate up.
That would make sense. Is the piping diameter larger than stocl?
Old 01-19-24, 05:08 PM
naluloa
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a leaky power steering pump or hose and after reading your ordeal with the power steering lines, I'm not sure if I wanna do it lol. You really have to drop the steering rack in order to replace the power steering lines?? Or maybe it's not as bad on the GS400, but I can't imagine why it would be any different.

Also, nice car and I'm jealous of your black interior!

Also also, dwoods mentioned a backfire tune for the ECU, is this only for the GS430?
Old 01-20-24, 08:01 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by firelizard
That would make sense. Is the piping diameter larger than stocl?
I didn't measure but no it looked to be the same diameter. The pipes mated up fine, just couldn't bolt them together
Old 01-20-24, 08:26 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by naluloa
I have a leaky power steering pump or hose and after reading your ordeal with the power steering lines, I'm not sure if I wanna do it lol. You really have to drop the steering rack in order to replace the power steering lines?? Or maybe it's not as bad on the GS400, but I can't imagine why it would be any different.

Also, nice car and I'm jealous of your black interior!

Also also, dwoods mentioned a backfire tune for the ECU, is this only for the GS430?
Thanks. I don't know if you really have to drop the rack but it would be quite difficult to get to either of the banjo bolts as well as pull the line off. There isn't much "extra" line to work with...the routing is very tight. I don't think my high pressure line was actually leaking. I just wanted to change it out of precaution while I was in there. I wasn't sure exactly where my leak was coming from because fluid was everywhere but in hindsight I think it was primarily either of the hoses coming out of the reservoir. They were hard as a rock and I had to break the ends apart to disconnect them because they wouldn't slide off.

Otherwise, doing the pump itself isn't that bad and you can do the reservoir supply line as well as the rubber section of the return hose. That should probably resolve your issue.
Old 01-20-24, 09:05 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

It wouldn't be the weekend if I didn't spend it dicking around with the car some more. With the PS and mounts done above, I've got the most pressing mechanical issues completed. I want to get back to the interior to finish swapping, sound deadening, restoring, etc. The dash will be the last to do so I figure I'd start with the rear and work forward.

Trunk carpets, deck lid, and rear seats are out.

First aid kit has been modernized: flashlight, tire plug kit, and a battery jump pack

Who I believe was the 2nd to last owner, AKA Captain Dip****, thought it appropriate to install a 2ohm DVC sub which was barely secured to the rear deck with a couple wood screws. Obviously this is not the appropriate impedance for the Mark Levinson system:

It provided zero sound or even movement of the cone so I wasn't sure if the lower impedance damaged the sub output of the amp. I thought I'd take a gamble and replace the sub to see if it would work. From what I could gather searching, the OEM ML sub is SVC 8ohm so I found this Dayton one:
Amazon Amazon

Set in place for testing and I have sound!

A trim ring should be arriving tomorrow so that I can properly secure it.

Sound deadening has begun using the remaining material from doing my wife's car. More is arriving this weekend to complete the trunk and rear deck.

Rear seat restoration in the meantime. A bit tricky getting clear pics with the sunlight but the difference is still apparent:

After cleaning and dying:

I'm going to wait until they're reinstalled to apply conditioner...

Quick Reply: 2002 gs430