Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

2002 gs430

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-24, 02:44 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Pulled it back in and finally took care of behind the gas lid which I've been dying to do.

Old 07-14-24, 02:45 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Let the body cool for awhile. Then, with the cleanest it's been in probably 15 years, I set to work.

Started with the hood and took a quick progress pic

Old 07-14-24, 02:50 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

I used a Griot's orange pad with their complete compound. This was my first time using an orbital buffer on paint so I didn't want to get too aggressive. I didn't bother on bumpers or wing for obvious reasons. Then I used their Best Show Wax with a red pad and this was the result. I wasn't expecting miracles with how bad the paint is overall but I think it's definitely an improvement and the grille matches the hood a lot better than before.
Old 07-14-24, 02:52 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Last edited by JonGS3; 07-14-24 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-14-24, 03:02 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Not too bad for polishing a turd I guess. The end goal for the body is too simply make it less worse so I think I'm heading in the right direction as far as that goes.

The clear on the roof is much worse than I thought it was. In addition to a few cloudy spots where it and the paint are gone, the remaining clear is starting to show tiny little cracks throughout as it's failing. My wife's car has the same issue so I think I may try my hand at putting a wrap on both of our roofs just to keep them from getting worse.

The lower paint on the rear bumper isn't that bad so I think my first attempts at spraying paint will be to do the top of the wing and upper portion of the rear bumper above the chrome strip. I figure that way I'll have hard lines to go up against so I won't have to try and blend it in.

If that is relatively successful then I'll try respraying the entire front bumper since the whole thing is a lost cause.
Old Today, 03:41 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Spent about 12 hours working this weekend to begin the audio upgrades. I don't think I've ever spent so much time on the car with so little to show but I guess wiring is like that. My biggest and only issue is that the amp I got for the components is just a little too wide to fit above the glovebox in the CD changer area so that kind of threw off my whole weekend plans. It was a like new used amp for less than half of MSRP so I jumped on it without looking closely enough into fitment. My wife will probably end up benefiting from that but I've got a just as good but better fitting replacement coming that should work perfectly. Anyways, on with the show:

Head unit is a Pioneer single DIN. As much as I would have liked to go with a more period correct old school Alpine, I didn't want to give up newer Bluetooth connectivity standards. This one should work great though. Reason I chose it is the accompanying Pioneer app allows you to "unlock" advanced tuning features as such as an active 3 way crossover, 31 band EQ, and time alignment. I was originally looking at getting a DSP since those seem to be hot **** these days but they're so expensive and I think this should more than suffice in the meantime. It will also allow me to run active components which I've never experienced before so I have high hopes for sound quality once I get the tune dialed in.

Not wanting to hack into the stock wiring, I used the adapter harness for the long gone armrest phone to connect power, ground, and accessory turn on to the head unit's harness and tapped into the cigarette lighter harness to control dimming with the headlights on. That then plugs into the stock wiring harness:

I got the OEM double-din trim from Japan but apparently I need the proper brackets to actually snap it into place. That's on hold for the moment and I also have a like new OEM DIN pocket coming from the middle east because that was the cheapest and nicest one I could find. So I used the Metra DIN kit for now. I also finally got around to properly routing the wiring for my dash cam so it's no longer hanging down the middle. That and my phone mount charger are running off the 12v accessory outlet in the armrest:

Components are Focal Performance 165AS. Another solid "used" but never actually used buy for quite a bit off MSRP. Thanks to the guys on the DIYmobileaudio forums for hoarding equipment they never use and then selling it off for cheap.

Mounted up in door adapters with silicone baffles to seal against the door panel:

Nice upgrade over ML

However, I bought a half inch speaker ring adapter because I was worried about it clearing the window but then it was too thick to fit the door panel over it. Fortunately, the Focals had just enough clearance without the ring. More butyl rubber tape was used to help seal the back of the adapter against the metal door skin

The silicone baffles came with these egg foam pads to deflect rear soundwaves

Of course the door's crossbar is in the way but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try and use it anyway

And since I have more deadening then I'll need to finish the last door, I figured why not add some more to the fronts

The tweeters came with good angled surface mount adapters. Thanks to wifey for helping aim it while I marked mounting holes in the stock tweeter cover:

One of these days I'll get brave and try making fiberglass sail panels but this works alright for now

Old Today, 03:45 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

So yeah, that's it with audio for now. I only got the passenger side speakers mounted to test fitment but they aren't actually hooked up to anything yet. Still need to run speaker wires through the door boot. However, I did also run power and RCAs to the trunk for a future sub amp so at least that is out of the way for now.

Old Today, 03:59 PM
JonGS3
Intermediate

And one other thing I thought I'd try that actually made a bit of difference: TRD door stabilizers! I swear I didn't buy these just because they say TRD on them. I don't remember how I found out about them but I saw the GR86 guys speaking positively of them in addition to a few mentions on here. I like to drive with my elbow on the door sill with my hand on top of the door and noticed it flexing against the body going over bumps and even pulling into my driveway that's on a somewhat steep slope. A bought a pair for the front thinking I'd just sell them off if they didn't do anything but they actually do reduce that flex enough to notice. Plus the doors close with a more definitive thud. I'll get a pair for the rear eventually too. Despite not being a huge difference, small improvements like these should add up in the long run as I work to stiffen the car up without reducing its ride quality. These are the universal ones btw. Our cars aren't officially listed as being compatible but they fit perfectly.

Black wedges attach to the door while a matching wedge/latch assembly fits in place of the stock latch. This wedge is spring loaded so it slides back as you close the door to ensure a tight fit between the two surfaces.