2022 Cloudburst Gray Lexus IS350 F-Sport - Build Journey

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 12:31 PM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts
Default 2022 Cloudburst Gray Lexus IS350 F-Sport - Build Journey

Hello,

I am re-creating this topic as at first wasn’t sure what route I would like to go and had some different visions about this car (I even had a moment that I wanted to trade in for some sport hatchback…) but with the time i grew up to this vehicle and I absolutely love it!

I will treat this thread as a journal that I can keep track of progress what was done to the car.

IG: @ryujin_is350f
————————————

February 14, 2022 - Traded in my Civic for brand new IS350 with 8 miles on it

————————————

May 5, 2024 - How the car looks now - at 13,500 miles

————————————

What was done so far:

- Tinted windows 20% all around (except windshield), chrome delete around windows and tinted taillights (clear parts) at VinciRestyling

- Blacked out rear trunk emblems (eBay) and side fender IS500 OEM emblems (Parts# 75361-53060 & 75362-53060) and Real Carbon Fiber license plate frame (
LINK LINK
)

- Replaced most of OEM interior halogen bulbs for LED 6000k
Auxito Auxito

- Real Carbon Fiber side mirror covers from leon_carbonfiber

- Glossy Black front lip for 2021+ IS350 from eBay

- Megan Racing Strut Bar (eBay Link) and aFe Takeda Stage-2 Cold Air Intake w Pro 5R Filter (aFe Power)

————————————

Last edited by Nexus713; 06-28-24 at 04:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexus713:
arentz07 (05-05-24), LEXU5 (05-09-24)
Old 05-05-24, 04:51 PM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

Plans for the nearest future (already got parts just need to find time and weather to install everything):

- RS-R Down Lowering Springs LINK
- GSF/RCF Lower Control Arm Bushings LINK
- Front Lip replacement (previous one has lot of scratches and new one is one piece, better quality) LINK
- Front Bumper Right Garnish Grille (scratched it badly on high curb, completely my fault…) LINK
- Minor cosmetics like yellow tint on DRL, Chrome removal on side mirrors, smoked tint on emblems.

- Big one are wheels - GramLights 57CR in HS Gunmettalic 19x9.5 45 all around. Only problem is that I ordered them in November 2023, they were suppose to be shipped in March but got an update that i will get another update in beginning of May… May came and no update 🤷‍♂️ I might exchange my order for same wheels but 35mm offset in Gloss Black (they have it in stock) as I’m kinda losing my patience and updates from website I ordered (KamiSpeed) are very rare and i have to put few requests before they even answer me.

Link for original wheels that I really want as I love the color and style: 57CR HS Gunmettalic
Link for ‚plan B’ wheels (I like them too and I think they will fit the car just fine): 57CR Gloss Black
Old 05-05-24, 08:31 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

The chrome delete is a big difference!

What's the benefit of this mod?
- GSF/RCF Lower Control Arm Bushings
The following users liked this post:
Nexus713 (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 04:40 AM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lex_Giorgio
The chrome delete is a big difference!

What's the benefit of this mod?
- GSF/RCF Lower Control Arm Bushings
Definitely it is!

Lower Control Arm Bushings are apparently main reason that Lexus IS has issue with excessive inner tire wear. I thought that 2021+ models don’t have this issue but i’m starting noticing that my front tires have some excessive wear from inside and these bushings should help, as they are stiffer than OEM.
There are also even more stiffer options from Figs or RR Racing but they are a bit more expensive so I wanted to test the RCF/GSF ones first!
Lex_Giorgio (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 08:55 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-08-24, 12:09 AM
Pcsnow21
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build! Cloudburst on black is a classic combo. Congrats!
Nexus713 (05-08-24)
Old 05-16-24, 07:57 PM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

So the wheels were shipped and first pair arrived! I was tired of waiting for HS Gunmetallic version so moved forward with plan B - Glossy Black, to match other black elements on the car.

Little sneak peak while waiting for second pair to arrive:

In addition to wheels I ordered:

- Ceramic Coating CQUARTZ DLUX
LINK LINK

- Rays Black Center Caps LINK (same product but ordered brand new from ebay for 98$ 4-pack!)
- Center Cap Yellow/Black sticker set LINK
Old 05-16-24, 08:29 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I have some genuine interest in finding out the reasons why you want to mod this car. I know I have not wanted to do it, but perhaps if I knew your reasoning I might be inclined to do it myself. Your car, in its factory form, is gorgeous to begin with. So, appearance may not be the first impetus to mod. Please share your thoughts if you have the time. Thanks.
Old 05-17-24, 04:54 AM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
I have some genuine interest in finding out the reasons why you want to mod this car. I know I have not wanted to do it, but perhaps if I knew your reasoning I might be inclined to do it myself. Your car, in its factory form, is gorgeous to begin with. So, appearance may not be the first impetus to mod. Please share your thoughts if you have the time. Thanks.
This is very good question!

So first I have to agree that car looks amazing from factory. One of best looking sedans right now imho.

About appearance mods - first of all I’m not fan of chrome, I really like blacked out look so chrome delete and tinted windows were first things I wanted to do. I wish I could use OEM parts to replace Chrome around windows but it is just too expensive to replace and glossy black vinyl will do alright.

I also don’t like the gap between wheels and fenders - I understand that it has a purpose since car is AWD, it’s just I personally like cars being lowered (nothing too crazy like stanced out with crazy camber, it is my daily so I want it to be drive able through speed bumps and stuff) - hence the reason for lowering springs that I will put soon! Same reason for front splitter/side skirts - it just adds that nice touch in my opinion.

For the wheels - I actually like them from factory, the color is nice i just wish they had more concave to it. I decided to replace them with GramLights after seeing some photos of the car with 5 spoke wheels and in my opinion it fits the car and ‘jdm’ style a lot, plus black wheels will fit the build since everything other details are glossy black as well. I will still keep OEM wheels as a ‘winter set’, I will just have to powdercoat them as there is too much curb scratches on it that is hard to look at (thanks to my beloved wife lol).

Intake, Exhaust - mostly for the sound, car doesn’t sound bad from factory but I would like to hear the engine a little bit more. I don’t want it to be too obnoxious and ‘riced’ but nice deep sound while accelerating will bring smile every time I step on that throttle! Intake already helped but Borla S-Type Axleback will be the cherry on top I believe 👌🏻

———————

tl;dr It’s really about personalizing the car to my own liking/style. I love the car from factory but there are few details that I would like to improve and i know some might say it’s waste of money or pointless, or even makes car less practical - but at the end of the day It’s making me happy every morning when I go to work or every weekend when I go to drive around some twisty roads. I plan to keep this vehicle for longer for sure so that’s also the reason that I change some stuff as I don’t plan to trade in anytime soon!
Old 05-17-24, 06:11 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexus713
This is very good question!

So first I have to agree that car looks amazing from factory. One of best looking sedans right now imho.

About appearance mods - first of all I’m not fan of chrome, I really like blacked out look so chrome delete and tinted windows were first things I wanted to do. I wish I could use OEM parts to replace Chrome around windows but it is just too expensive to replace and glossy black vinyl will do alright.

I also don’t like the gap between wheels and fenders - I understand that it has a purpose since car is AWD, it’s just I personally like cars being lowered (nothing too crazy like stanced out with crazy camber, it is my daily so I want it to be drive able through speed bumps and stuff) - hence the reason for lowering springs that I will put soon! Same reason for front splitter/side skirts - it just adds that nice touch in my opinion.

For the wheels - I actually like them from factory, the color is nice i just wish they had more concave to it. I decided to replace them with GramLights after seeing some photos of the car with 5 spoke wheels and in my opinion it fits the car and ‘jdm’ style a lot, plus black wheels will fit the build since everything other details are glossy black as well. I will still keep OEM wheels as a ‘winter set’, I will just have to powdercoat them as there is too much curb scratches on it that is hard to look at (thanks to my beloved wife lol).

Intake, Exhaust - mostly for the sound, car doesn’t sound bad from factory but I would like to hear the engine a little bit more. I don’t want it to be too obnoxious and ‘riced’ but nice deep sound while accelerating will bring smile every time I step on that throttle! Intake already helped but Borla S-Type Axleback will be the cherry on top I believe 👌🏻

———————

tl;dr It’s really about personalizing the car to my own liking/style. I love the car from factory but there are few details that I would like to improve and i know some might say it’s waste of money or pointless, or even makes car less practical - but at the end of the day It’s making me happy every morning when I go to work or every weekend when I go to drive around some twisty roads. I plan to keep this vehicle for longer for sure so that’s also the reason that I change some stuff as I don’t plan to trade in anytime soon!
Thanks for the insight on why you mod. Your very last paragraph clued me in. "... its making me happy every morning when I go to work or every weekend when I go to drive around some twisty roads.", That resonates with me. And your point about jdm style also gave me some understanding - your new rims do indeed look jdm. Enjoy your ride, and I hope you have an ear to ear grin for a very long time.
Nexus713 (05-17-24)
Old 05-19-24, 03:57 PM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

Today I replaced scratched bumper grill garnish and front splitter/lip.
Had to remove bumper for that - process was fairly easy, few bolts on top, few under and couple in wheel wells plus many clips.
Now it looks much better 👍🏻

OLD FRONT LIP:

NEW FRONT LIP:

BUMPER GRILL GARNISH BEFORE:

BUMPER GRILL GARNISH AFTER:

———————————

IN THE MIDDLE OF PROCESS:

Old 05-20-24, 12:38 PM
frid4
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Today I replaced scratched bumper grill garnish and front splitter/lip.
Had to remove bumper for that - process was fairly easy, few bolts on top, few under and couple in wheel wells plus many clips.
Now it looks much better 👍🏻

OLD FRONT LIP:

NEW FRONT LIP:

BUMPER GRILL GARNISH BEFORE:

BUMPER GRILL GARNISH AFTER:

———————————

IN THE MIDDLE OF PROCESS:

Looks good man, you didnt think about getting the 4IS Fog lights while you had that out?
Old 05-20-24, 01:30 PM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by frid4
Looks good man, you didnt think about getting the 4IS Fog lights while you had that out?
Thanks! I was checking them out and reading some opinions, but apparently fog lights are covering brake vents/inlets so that might somehow affect brakes cooling (probably not by much and won’t affect regular daily driving, but still rather have that functioning than fog lights).
But hey - maybe in the future I will try them on 👍🏻
Old 05-20-24, 03:28 PM
frid4
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks! I was checking them out and reading some opinions, but apparently fog lights are covering brake vents/inlets so that might somehow affect brakes cooling (probably not by much and won’t affect regular daily driving, but still rather have that functioning than fog lights).
But hey - maybe in the future I will try them on 👍🏻
Ive noticed those vents are infact vents yes, but they are not the main vents for the brakes.The main vents are as seen in the picture. (Source I took my wheel well cover off). But to each their own your build is looking good.

Nexus713 (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 06:39 PM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

During the weekend I also put the new wheels!

Rays GramLights 57CR in Glossy Black (to match with other gloss black elements of the car)

Front: 19x8.5 +35
Rear: 19x9.5 +25

Center caps - Rays Black ones are coming soon, hopefully this or next week
Lug bolts from Melvius, black 27mm - LINK

I’m happy with the fitment - rear is sticking out like 5mm maybe but car will be lowered next week so it should put some negative camber to it. In case I need to adjust camber I will get rear adjustable arms from RR Racing.

Quick Reply: 2022 Cloudburst Gray Lexus IS350 F-Sport - Build Journey