Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

LBC2IS 2008 IS350 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 11:19 PM
LBC2IS
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LBC2IS 2008 IS350 Build Thread

Finally getting around to putting together a thread covering my journey with my 2008 Lexus IS350. My goal from the onset has been creating the perfect OEM+ build that provides a sporty ride, without ruining the daily driver aspect of the car.

Current Spec
  • 2008 Lexus IS350 (non-nav) - Smokey Granite Mica
  • F-Sport Forged Aluminum 19” Wheels (19x8 front and 19x9 rear)
  • Toyo Proxes Sport Tires (Front: 235/35r19 and Rear: 255/35r19)
  • 2010-11 IS-F Steering ECU (-41 part #)
  • F-Sport Performance Springs
  • F-Sport Sway Bars
  • RC-F Lower Control Arm Bushings (OEM)
  • F-Sport Performance Intake System
  • F-Sport Shifter ****
  • OEM Lexus Front Lip
  • IS-F Rear Tail Lights (OEM)
  • Tananbe Medallion Catback Exhaust
  • StopTech Slotted Rotors and performance pads
  • StopTech SS Brake Lines
  • GTA Bluetooth Kit
  • F-Sport Interior Carpets (OEM)

The Journey
Growing up in the import (Honda) scene, Lexus was never really a brand on my radar. As I got older and wanted something a little more “adult”, I purchased an ‘06 IS350 in Pearl White. It was more a function of right time/right price as I really didn’t think I was going to like it. And I didn’t like it — I LOVED it. So much power, great looks and phenomenal sound system. For some dumb reason though, I felt the need to sell to fund some other life choices, but always regretted it.

Fast forward a couple of years and I was back on the hunt for a new daily. I wanted something that was Japanese, sufficiently powerful, capable and comfortable — so basically another IS350. Lady Luck was with me because it just so happened sound that time my father-in-law was selling his ‘08!

Bone stock 2008 IS350 with 60k miles on it. Best of all, my father in law (who bought it new) took incredibly good care of it so it was a fantastic foundation.

First order of business was replacing the front grill with an IS-F style unit that made the car look a little more sporty. Took the chance to black out the Lexus emblem as well.

Next was the ride height because the stock suspension, while comfortable, didn’t deliver the performance-oriented handling I was looking for. In OEM+ fashion, I installed a set of brand new F-Sport springs and sway bars

Around the same time, the wanted to wake up the motor a bit, and decided to get the F-Sport Performance air intake system. Ah yes, that sweet, sweet sound of induction noise kicking in around 3500rpm.

Hearing the notes from the new intake setup was intoxicating. Never been a huge fan of the way most V6s sound, but this hits a sweet spot.

This is where things start to accelerate. I was really loving this car, and felt like it was starting to match the OEM+ vision I had for it. That said, while I actually really like the standard wheels, I always had my eye on a set of the Lexus F-Sport forged wheels. Was debating on putting spacers on the stock wheels, but ended up going full send on the 19” forged wheels! Had to order from three separate dealerships to get a full set, but totally worth it. Paired the new wheels with a set of Toyo Proxes Sport tires — perfect combo. 235/35 in front with 255/35 in the rear

Around the same time, also ended up installing the Tanabe Medallion catback exhaust so I could hear this gem of a motor a little more.

Enjoyed those updates for a while, as the car now had the handling, looks, and sound I wanted. But of course, like any enthusiast I was plotting the next round of updates.

Next up was a set of IS-F taillights to clean up the rear and get rid of the amber turn signals.

After reading for years about people on here doing the RC-F LCA bushing update, decided to purchase a set and install. Super easy job and considering the relatively cheap cost for new parts, well worth it. Not a night and day handling difference, but when paired with other suspension upgrades it definitely is noticeable.

Way back when I purchased the car, I had a local shop resurface the brakes which I’ve regretted ever since. For years I’ve had a slight vibration in the rear during light/medium braking, so finally bit the bullet and did a full brake job
  • F/R brake update with StopTech slotted rotors, pads and SS brake lines
  • Painted front calipers

A couple of weeks later decided to get some additional parts installed that I had in the garage, but never got around to putting on:
  • 2011 IS-F Steering ECU (Calibrated by Lexology in Hermosa Beach - 10/10 recommend)
  • Painted and installed OEM front lip
  • Yellow fog light tint (vinyl tint)
  • New OEM headlight assemblies to replace the hopelessly faded units

And that brings us to where the car is today. I’ve grown to absolutely love this thing, and to this day still love every second behind the wheel.

What’s Next
As for what’s in store for the IS — I’ve got my eye on an LSD to really transform its handling, and possibly explore some coilovers to provide a more fine tuned approach to the suspension. I’ve also flirted with the idea of selling and getting into an IS-F as well, but have a hard time justifying the cost given this car is 9/10ths as good.

Looking back, if I were able to start over with the car knowing what I know now, I would’ve absolutely prioritized the steering ECU, LCA bushings and updated F-Sport springs. Like any modification, it’s how everything works together and I think those three things provided the greatest leap in handling feel and performance — to the extent that I wish those were the first things I did. But as with any project, it’s about the journey, figuring out what works and what doesn’t, and constantly evolving the car.

More to come!

Last edited by LBC2IS; 05-08-24 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Typis
Old 05-09-24, 05:21 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Great build! Glad you're enjoying the IS350 (enough so that you ended up getting a second one) and the OEM+ philosophy is the way to go .
The following users liked this post:
LBC2IS (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 08:22 AM
LBC2IS
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Great build! Glad you're enjoying the IS350 (enough so that you ended up getting a second one) and the OEM+ philosophy is the way to go .
Thank you! Your build has been a huge inspiration for how I approach each update to the IS.

QQ: When looking at installing your LSD, did you consider the Cusco unit or is the OS Giken the only way to go?
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 07:03 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LBC2IS
Thank you! Your build has been a huge inspiration for how I approach each update to the IS.

QQ: When looking at installing your LSD, did you consider the Cusco unit or is the OS Giken the only way to go?
Glad to hear that my build thread is still helping others like you with a performance focused OEM+ build. Regarding LSDs, I looked at the overall performance capabilities as well as long term ownership costs and the OS Giken has both factors down in spades. Though the initial price of the OS Giken TCD is more expensive than the Cusco, the OS Giken does not require an overhaul/rebuild which makes it more cost effective in the long run. The OS Giken LSD has no chatter from the clutch plates and the lockup of an OS Giken diff is typically more smoother and stable than the Cusco in motorsport applications.