Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1996 SC400 slicktop build - The Gold Dragon

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
stheodore
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 1996 SC400 slicktop build - The Gold Dragon

Pardon the long introduction but I think it may help to set the stage if you don't know me. I'm a passionate Toyota/Lexus guy and have enjoyed these amazing cars since the 1990s. I started out with MKIV Supras, and went on to own 6 of them between 1999 and 2018. Although I still love them, the rising market values really put a damper on my enthusiasm to actually use the cars as they became more collectible than useful. That, and I really over-modified a few of them, learning a lot in the process about the good and bad side of modifications. Somewhat simultaneously, I bought a 2003 Lexus IS300 5MT/LSD in 2005 and owned it through 2017. Since that time I have had 3 more IS300s, with the final two of them being turbocharged cars with T56 Magnum-F transmissions. I still have the most recent one.

Along the way I developed somewhat of a reputation for loving the hardtop/slicktop examples most of all. This started with Supras, and 5 out of the 6 I owned were rare hardtop Twin Turbo models. My second IS300 was a true slicktop (2001 automatic), and I converted my third IS300 into a slicktop along the way with a carbon fiber sunroof plug that I had built just for me. Although I still love those platforms, my taste continues to change over time. Lately I've been way more into V8s and was on the verge of performing a V8 swap on my IS300 when I came across a real SC400 slicktop back east. I sent a good friend to look at the car for me and, after gaining intelligence about it, I decided to make an offer and buy the car. Today was the day that the car was delivered to me, and so my journey with the car is officially starting.

First things first, I need to assess the car, clean the car up, and see what she needs. There will be a variety of mechanical and cosmetic items on the agenda which will take time, but it should be both fun and satisfying to share the journey here with others who care so much about these great cars. It is my very first Z30 (UZZ31) chassis, and so far it does feel very similar to my former beloved JZA80, which of course makes me smile.

Should I decide to fully commit to this car and platform, I will be selling my current IS300-T after de-modifying it substantially and putting my efforts into the SC400. That will very likely mean 4 planned phases of attack.

Phase 1: Stock (1UZ-FE/A340E) - maintain/service the car, perform cosmetic modifications, and enjoy it in its natural form
Phase 2: Manual swap (1UZ-FE/T-56 Magnum-F) - full conversion to 6MT, likely using the transmission from my IS300 paired with the Grannas Racing kit
Phase 3: LS power (LS/T56 Magnum-F) - engine conversion to LS series V8, committing to full aluminum block, enjoy in NA form
Phase 4: LS/Turbo/Manual - the final form will be a turbocharged LS series engine paired with the manual 6MT

Starting with an SC400 was key for me as I really want to enjoy the natural form of the car for a while first, and then essentially enhance it along the way in various forms. As I am a real weight weenie, I'm taking great pains to play that along the way. As I do have an actual race car project aside from this, I will attempt to keep this car quite streetable and useful.

Today was BASELINE day of course. I cleaned the car a bit, filled the tank with Shell's 92 octane unleaded and headed straight to the scale (truck scale, good to +/- 20 pound).

Baseline weight: 3640 pounds, fully loaded with fuel, all tools, all books, everything that the car should have

Then I busted out my Dragy accelerometer and went to run some baseline quarter mile times on an un-prepped surface. After looking up that these cars should trap around 91-93 mph bone stock, I was hopeful that this old 184k mile gal still had the power to do it.

Run #1: 15.05 @ 91.80 mph
Run #2: 15.19 @ 92.42 mph
Run #3: 14.95 @ 92.44 mph (TRAC off)

I thought I felt a bit of hesitation induced by TRAC on the second run, and so turned it off for Run 3. I was really impressed to see this full weight 184k mile SC400 run a high 14 on an un-prepped surface. So, we're off to a solid start.

I'm including a few photos so you can see this old girl in her current un-restored glory, and of course the best Dragy result too.

My friends even dubbed her the Gold Dragon today, so she officially has a name.

As mentioned, it will only be maintenance, cosmetic, and minor mods to start things off, but I'm really looking forward to the journey. Here is a video that I published to my YouTube channel marking her arrival too.

I appreciate the space here to share what I'm up to, and I hope everyone else is having fun with their SCs too.

Fresh off the transporter, with my IS300-T behind her

Side by side with my 2002 Intensa Blue Pearl IS300-T

Rear view of both cars

Her first fueling under my care

Straight to the scales to get baseline weight of 3640 pounds

First car wash after running performance times

Mileage right off the truck

Best quarter mile pass as a completely stock SC400 with no weight reduction and a full tank of fuel onboard.
The following 3 users liked this post by stheodore:
DaveGS4 (Yesterday), fastturbo (Yesterday), KJH (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

This should be epic. I have known Steve Theodore since forever, having watched up close and from afar his various builds over the years. He is a dear friend and, as you can already tell, he is blessed with excellent writing skills and a silver tongue if you taken the opportunity to view his YouTube video. Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
stheodore (Yesterday)