Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 03:13 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
You can only mandrel bend down to a certain radius before you start to excessively weaken the pipe. Remember in mandrel bending, you stretch out the outer wall of the bend thus thinning it.

The shown pipe is 3" and the radius of the bend is VERY small. An equal radius mandrel bent pipe would have a paper thin wall at the outer portion of the bend. Obviously for a downpipe you do not want this.

Section cuts like Ryan's guarantee uniform pipe wall thickness and strength. It takes much longer and is more labor intensive but you also get any (and/or even variable) radius which helps a TON in an application like this where space is at a premium. That pipe needs to contort into many funky angles while retaining strength.
Jose, So eloquently spoken... I could not have stated it any better.

Yeah, I am real pleased with this fabricator's attention to detail...He likes doing things right...Keep in mind, everything is only Tacked together right now...once completed, all the plumbing will be removed and then welded and polished, and coated.

Below are a few pics of the lengthened upper Downpipe, and the Fabricator, Raphael, welding the passenger headers...Enjoy...

Ryan
Old 02-05-06, 06:39 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

from where (exactly) you will take oil for turbos?
I was thinkig about fresh (just filtered oil) from below oil filter. there is some plugs, but not sure with one is fresh oil AFTER filter.
thanks
Jerry
btw
your project looks realy good!!!!
Old 02-05-06, 10:20 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics Ryan, quality work
Old 02-05-06, 10:46 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JTJerryls400
from where (exactly) you will take oil for turbos?
I was thinkig about fresh (just filtered oil) from below oil filter. there is some plugs, but not sure with one is fresh oil AFTER filter.
thanks
Jerry
btw
your project looks realy good!!!!
The oil lines will be tapped off the feed line. There will be a "T" there to feed each turbo, and each turbo will have its own drain back to the sump using gravity flow. This is mentioned somewhere else in this thread as well...

Ryan
Old 02-06-06, 09:09 PM
USAF_RT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't heat going to be an issue, being in such close proximity to the belts?

Just wondering.

-Sean
Old 02-07-06, 05:32 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by USAF_RT
Isn't heat going to be an issue, being in such close proximity to the belts?

Just wondering.

-Sean
Heat is always a cencern in every turbo application...That is why we ceramic coat the plumbing, add heat shields and wrap the components necessary to keep heat down...

Ryan
Old 02-07-06, 05:44 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Here is a pic of the passenger side header as it is nearing completion of welding...

I am beginning to get excited... Perhaps my car will be running by the end of February...

Ryan
Old 02-07-06, 06:35 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I am little concern about the secondary Y coming together. Its coming in such a sharp angle. UHHMMMMMMMM??????
Attached Thumbnails SC400TT Project Car-sc400tt.jpg  

Last edited by Lextreme; 02-07-06 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-07-06, 06:52 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

The second picture i created would have better exhaust dynamics.
Attached Thumbnails SC400TT Project Car-sc400tt-2.jpg  
Old 02-07-06, 10:07 AM
Lvangundy

I'm curious as to why you're "only" running a 13.1 with that much power? Your trap is high so you must be gaining A LOT of speed towards the high end.

Are you losing traction? Bad launches?

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
By the way Ryan, I'm still waiting for you to beat my #'s

510RWHP, and 487RWTQ
13.1 @ 116MPH

How long are you going to let my SC 400 reign King?

And Chris and I are now changing to our 3rd set of turbos.
Divided T3 exhaust 57MM compressors

A little ball busting never hurt anyone. Did it?
Old 02-07-06, 10:18 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextreme
The second picture i created would have better exhaust dynamics.
Dave:

Thanks for pointing that out. I was aware of the angle, but not greatly concerned at this point. You are correct in that we may not have the most ideal angle for that merge that you pointed out...I do not know if this angle will have any negative effect at all, or if it does, how much it will be. At this point, I will look at it again, and if we deem it necessary to modify beforehand, we will. If not, we will move forward, get my car running, tuned and such and determine if there is a response issue to address. At this point, getting the plumbing done in an overall proper way is my priority, not a minor merge angle. But I will keep it in mind...

BTW, at least I do not have a log style header in there, or worse yet, trying to build this project off of the stock manifolds...

Ryan
Old 02-07-06, 11:54 AM
chrisman
Driver

hi guys, there been alot of action on this thread lately.. glad to see the progress..
the headers--any headers are good to see..they look like they should work fine..
keep up the work ryan--even though sometimes it seems overwhelming..

lvangundy-- had asked about rdms 13.1-- actually i drove the car on that run--i let of the gas 2 times.. we had just gotten to the track,, and i got in line before rdm was there..
one of the solonoids in the trans was acting up on ocassion,,and even on that run i had a problem..so i did lift of the throttle 2 times and i did run 13.1.. also remember that we are using a stock converter with stall raised a few hundred rpm.. so off the line the car is relatively slow until the rpms go over 3000..
--the car has run much better than it did that day.. so--you are right that it should have run better et--maybe it has?..
david had asked about the dyno--the dyno was a dynojet..
Old 02-08-06, 09:24 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Looking good Ryan.
I read in a Mag, or mabe Chris told me that a 10 degree bend in section welding or less results in an air flow of almost the same as straight pipe. Don't know if it's ture or not, but I read it some.
Mandrel bends are just easier, and less time comsuming. Thats a lot of welding. You fab guy is gonna have a nice tan

Lvangundy My car has pretty bad 60 foot times. i think the best was a 2.3, with a 2.4 being average.
Old 02-08-06, 12:42 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, wouldn't want to screw up the 'exhaust dynamics'

The headers look good to me, and it's great to see this kind of progress. Who will be building your trans?
Bob....2.4 short time? Shame on you!
Old 02-08-06, 03:02 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
Yeah, wouldn't want to screw up the 'exhaust dynamics'

The headers look good to me, and it's great to see this kind of progress. Who will be building your trans?

Lex Luthor...Looks like BoostLogic will be selected to build it...Thanks for the Kudos...This project has been long in getting it going...Finding good help is tough.

I may select SP for the tranny, not sure yet...Gotta do a little more research on the two companies first...

Gang, wait until you see what we have come up with to solve the lack of space on the Drivers side...Pure brilliance on the part of the shop doing this work...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 02-12-06 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car