Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 06:06 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by guessd
You want 500 whp on pump gas? How much boost are you going to be willing to run on pump gas? You probably know this, but It's probably going to take 20+ psi to make 500 rwhp on pump gas. On race gas, it'll have no problem making over 600. This is assuming that's the GT40 with the 56trim 61mm compressor wheel and a GT40 exhaust wheel?

Either way, good luck with your project.

p.s.: My car was a daily driven street car
There will be iterations of this turbo, eg; a Level 1, a Level 2, and perhaps a Level 3. I am starting out with Level 1, and monitoring the cars behavior on that first. Once I am satisfied, I will go to Level 2, and then perhaps Level 3. I will not divulge at this time what each Level entails, but you all will see it as it unfolds. Level 2 and 3 will cost significantly more money than Level 1, and it will include details such as changing out stock internals to forged ones, changes to exhaust design, engine management, and such.

BTW, I never suggested your previous car was not a street car... I I have specific goals for my car, this project has been well thought out, well planned, and pre-designed...My number 1 goal is not top HP at the upper limits, but quickness of the car on the lower end...

It is indeed a Garrett GT40 throughout, with the exception of the Precision outer turbine housing, I think you can see that in the above pics...

Ryan
Old 01-14-05, 06:59 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the project, sounds very well thought out.
Old 01-14-05, 08:28 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400T
There will be iterations of this turbo, eg; a Level 1, a Level 2, and perhaps a Level 3. I am starting out with Level 1, and monitoring the cars behavior on that first. Once I am satisfied, I will go to Level 2, and then perhaps Level 3. I will not divulge at this time what each Level entails, but you all will see it as it unfolds. Level 2 and 3 will cost significantly more money than Level 1, and it will include details such as changing out stock internals to forged ones, changes to exhaust design, engine management, and such.

BTW, I never suggested your previous car was not a street car... I I have specific goals for my car, this project has been well thought out, well planned, and pre-designed...My number 1 goal is not top HP at the upper limits, but quickness of the car on the lower end...

It is indeed a Garrett GT40 throughout, with the exception of the Precision outer turbine housing, I think you can see that in the above pics...

Ryan
What's special about the turbine housing? I see there's the anti-surge H cover w/ a v-band as a compressor cover, is that what you mean because the exhaust housing looks like a typical .68 a/r housing to me?
Old 01-14-05, 08:34 AM
chrisman
Driver

technics is right.. it sounds like youve gotta plan.. .. its great to hear everything is coming together.. its like they say.. "fighting the war is easy, getting all the soldiers there at the same time is the hard part "...there may be a TREND happening at clublexus.. turbos for evryone..
Old 01-14-05, 09:50 AM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

awesome work ryan

i will be playing close attention to your progress as i will be the ones interested when you're complete

but for now, keep up the awesome work and we all look forward to the completion of your project

Old 01-14-05, 10:55 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck with the project Ryan!!!! I along with countless other I'm sure, will be following this project closely!!!
The more I see projects like yours and chrisman's, the more I crave the Boost!!!!
Old 01-14-05, 01:24 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That turbo is sexy, that tial wastegate looks even better... Is there any chance youll have this project done by Feb 19th to make the CL Southeast meet in Orlando??
Old 01-15-05, 01:34 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by guessd
What's special about the turbine housing? I see there's the anti-surge H cover w/ a v-band as a compressor cover, is that what you mean because the exhaust housing looks like a typical .68 a/r housing to me?
If you had seen the Garrett turbine housing, you would understand...It was much larger, making fitting it even more difficult, plus it was a .89 AR...longer time for spool up...

Ryan
Old 01-15-05, 01:41 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by got_trd
That turbo is sexy, that tial wastegate looks even better... Is there any chance youll have this project done by Feb 19th to make the CL Southeast meet in Orlando??
I did not know about that meet...I will try to have it complete by then, but that is a tall order...

After the Turbo is complete, comes the AC kit, Rotora Big brakes, new black paint, Torsen LSD and torque converter... Oh yeah, I have to install the Premier/MB Quart/JL/Alpine V12 Stereo system-Still in the box waiting installation ....

Then, I will be done...At least for a little while...Untill I need more BOOST

Last edited by SC400T; 01-15-05 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-15-05, 02:14 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

500 rwhp can achieve with 15-16 psi in the V8.
Old 01-16-05, 12:00 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

How much for the tranny shift kit?
Old 01-16-05, 08:49 AM
Verge
Rookie

14.7psi should double the original horsepower... so that would be 250, but on stock compression... lowering it means... yep, 15-16 psi would be right around the 500 mark at the crank
Old 01-16-05, 09:31 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Philly#1 Lex
How much for the tranny shift kit?
I bought it from MV automatics in Australia...$345 US is what I paid for it, no exchange for my original valve body, not worth the cost to ship it...It makes a huge difference in shifting speed...Would be nice to have a Tiptronic setup with it...

Ryan
Old 01-16-05, 12:09 PM
Tatanko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400T
I bought it from MV automatics in Australia...$345 US is what I paid for it, no exchange for my original valve body, not worth the cost to ship it...It makes a huge difference in shifting speed...Would be nice to have a Tiptronic setup with it...

Ryan
Happen to have a link...? Sounds like a good investment to me.
Old 01-17-05, 06:10 PM
20s
Rookie

Yes i am also very interested in this shift kit as well, I actually went to a shop today and they said they would fully build my engine (rods, pistons, etc.) and twin turbo my sc for about $12,000. They will do just the twin turbo system for $7,000. I was thinkin of using twin GT25s.

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car