Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 03:14 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by holaback
Are you saying not in the same league becaue you drive a "luxery car" which is simply a rebaged toyota.
I'm thinking he meant that people expect others to tune their 240s. Not many people expect others to tune a Lexus. Especially not a 400 model since the 2J-T and 1J swaps are becoming more and more common.

BTW, the Soarer is a rebadged Lexus. It was designed in CA as a Lexus
Old 03-28-06, 08:28 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by holaback
Are you saying not in the same league becaue you drive a "luxery car" which is simply a rebaged toyota. Would a 240sx be any different it was listed as a Infiniti 240SX?
While there are definitely some very nice 240's and other mid range sporty compact cars the SC was considerably more expensive and refined when new. "not in the same league" is a fair and accurate assessment of the starting base automobile. These are now all "used" cars and examples from showroom perfect to total beater can be found for both. That said take a showroom perfect 240SX and a showroom perfect SC400 and it is really inarguable that the 2 cars are different. Similar to a Corvette and a Ferrari. Both appealing sports cars but obviously in a "different league" from each other. This is in not a "dis" on ANYBODY's car regardless of make/model/year... simply true.

Some have spent MORE on their Corvette in upgrades than a new Ferrari costs. The car will probably outperform the Ferrari in the areas of modification. Still, it is and always will be a "Corvette". ( and I have always liked Corvettes) Even with all the upgrades typically performed to any car the "base" car will still have whatever "base" is left. The frame and bodyshell of the 240SX simply did not have the same level of engineering expense applied and therefore resulting refinement as an SC400. This is not being snobby it is just what it is.
Old 03-29-06, 12:20 AM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agreed with Jbrady on everything. I also understand HOLABACK's point of view but do not agree with HOLABACK. I know he just tried to point out his preference for modified cars that could reach the same level with other cars when it's carefully modified. Beside successful modifications, any other things in stock form make the difference. However, the betterness still depends on personal preference on the performance that whether he's happy with it or not. That's why he chooses somethings over somethings else.

Lexus is not a rebadged Toyota. It's on a higher level than regular Toyota, although it's made by Toyota. A corporation can choose whatever name it wants for its product. Nowadays with global trade, the brand issue is hardly a real product made by the manufacturers anymore. It's only rebadged when the same car has 2 different makes just as in the case of the SUV Isuzu Rodeo that is bought by Honda and changed to Honda Passport.

Last edited by SCSpeed; 03-29-06 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-29-06, 05:01 PM
twizzle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCSpeed
Lexus is not a rebadged Toyota. It's on a higher level than regular Toyota, although it's made by Toyota.
what? just so you know, in japan, the sc300/400 is a TOYOTA, lexus doesnt even exist.
Old 03-29-06, 05:13 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twizzle
what? just so you know, in japan, the sc300/400 is a TOYOTA, lexus doesnt even exist.
Nice job with a hijack of one of the most productive threads I can think of in the SC forum.

I'll add though, that Lexus did just begin selling in Japan, IIRC. And, we're not in Japan, so let's speak on American terms here.
Old 03-30-06, 07:58 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Let me ask you something. What would you say when Mercedes Bentz owns the entire Chrysler corporation but the cars that come out of the Chrysler plant are still called Chrysler and not Mercedez Bents? I'd be surprised if you call those Chrysler "Mercedez Bentz". If you can't explain this, I'll help you out.

MongooseGS,
Thumbs up.
Old 03-31-06, 03:40 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"gimme that thread fool its a full time Jack move" people...let kill this 240/ talk... some people are watching this thread closely...I have my fingers crossed waiting for sc400TT success...what is so spectacular in tuning a car where parts are on hand and already done (1000x)....what TT is doing is pretty much a prototype... so please keep the noise to a minimum and let me watch this movie!
Old 03-31-06, 06:39 AM
Timdog1650
Rookie

Amen to that ^^^

Where are the dyno vids already!?
Old 03-31-06, 10:33 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
"gimme that thread fool its a full time Jack move" people...let kill this 240/ talk... some people are watching this thread closely...I have my fingers crossed waiting for sc400TT success...what is so spectacular in tuning a car where parts are on hand and already done (1000x)....what TT is doing is pretty much a prototype... so please keep the noise to a minimum and let me watch this movie!

Originally Posted by timdog1650
"Amen to that ^^^

Where are the dyno vids already!?
Agreed with both of you guys... The learning on this one is truly a jewel to anyone that follows this thread. When this is done, I will have shared with all of you the sum of my experiences in building this project...And what an experience it has been. Challenging, exciting, scarey, frustrating, etc. One thing is for sure...You will all know what to do and not to do should you decide to TT your SC400. You will also know how to avoid many potential pitfalls, and be able to greatly shorten your own time and some costs when you build your own project. So, let's get back on track, and stay the course...We have an interesting and revealing ride coming up in the next many weeks...What a journey!!!

Thanks for all of your support, gang... It's great knolwing you are cheering me on...inspires me to finish the course...

Ryan
Old 03-31-06, 11:01 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You know, funny you mention that because SC300/400 are not soarers.
Old 03-31-06, 11:11 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Holaback, I know where you are coming from and that's fine, maybe in another thread.

I don't think you are aware of the exclusitivity of the turbo SC4 club. People, we have to understand that 240sx are extremely popular tuner cars. The fact that you can name off so many nice 240's and so many ratty 240's proves the point right there. Tuning a 240 is completely off the scale in terms of rarity like that of getting an SC4 running off that turbo. SC400TT has been on the quest of a lifetime (I can't even remember when it started) and he is still working on it. With the 240sx, you can call up any local tuner shop and order any part for your car and it'll be at your doorstep in a few business days.

So when it comes to tuning a Lexus (v8) versus tuning a 240sx, you have 0 argument.

Yea Lexus is rebadged from Japan. We're all aware of that...so what?
Old 04-01-06, 08:52 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Agreed with both of you guys... The learning on this one is truly a jewel to anyone that follows this thread. When this is done, I will have shared with all of you the sum of my experiences in building this project...And what an experience it has been. Challenging, exciting, scarey, frustrating, etc. One thing is for sure...You will all know what to do and not to do should you decide to TT your SC400. You will also know how to avoid many potential pitfalls, and be able to greatly shorten your own time and some costs when you build your own project. So, let's get back on track, and stay the course...We have an interesting and revealing ride coming up in the next many weeks...What a journey!!!

Thanks for all of your support, gang... It's great knolwing you are cheering me on...inspires me to finish the course...

Ryan
Top job Ryan!!!!!
Looking foreward to seeing it finished
Old 04-01-06, 11:21 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

i took a trip down to see ryan yesterday and the car looks good. i also got to enjoy some of ryans steaks so the next club lexus bar b q will deffinatly be held at ryans house . the car is coming along nicely and lets just say it will be done soon ....
Old 05-01-06, 08:02 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer479
i took a trip down to see ryan yesterday and the car looks good. i also got to enjoy some of ryans steaks so the next club lexus bar b q will deffinatly be held at ryans house . the car is coming along nicely and lets just say it will be done soon ....
Hello Hank. I really enjoyed our meal and discussing the challenges of the TT project. Thanks for coming down.

Ryan
Old 05-01-06, 08:06 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Gang:

As an update on my project, I am receiving new flanges this week, so that the plumbing can be completed, and the exhaust has been re-designed to assist with the lack of space within the engine compartment. Thanks to Hank for his suggestions on the exhaust design...

Watch for more pics to come...also a pic of what not to pay someone to build...a must see.

Thanks,
Ryan

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car