Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Follow my trip as I paint my SC Matador Mica Red

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 10:26 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cody-

This is a hell of a write up man. I am loving reading this. There is a ton of valuable information.

Good luck finishing off the paint job this weekend-
Mark
Old 07-26-07, 10:28 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
Interesting thread. I'm suprised you are able to do what you have done with that compressor. Are you going to be painting by panels? Looking forward to your progress as I'm in the same boat. Got screwed by a painter so I'm learning to paint myself.
me too =[ earl schieab or watever SUCKS haha

so yea HOW DID you remove the paint? sry if i missed it on the other posts
Old 07-26-07, 10:37 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Looking great Cody!!! Now I'm gonna have to come to Vegas again to see the final product!
Old 07-26-07, 10:42 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
Interesting thread. I'm suprised you are able to do what you have done with that compressor. Are you going to be painting by panels? Looking forward to your progress as I'm in the same boat. Got screwed by a painter so I'm learning to paint myself.
I'm not sure what this compressor really is, as it's kinda old, but in primering last night, the compressor would outrun the gun and end up turning itself off 'cause it got back up to 120 psi in the tank... it also draws so much power on startup that having it and a box fan on the same outlet causes the compressor to start hard, and having it and a halogen lamp will cause the breaker to blow on startup... I didn't think to check if it was a 15a or 20a circuit, but either way thats some current draw...

I bought it cause it seemed like a good deal, it's seeming better by the minute...

edit: I have only ever had one car painted by someone else - I did it on the cheap too, but had a shop actually do the paint - I did all the prep work - removed lights, etc... I absolutely hated the job - there were two runs, and two very thin spots, and I paid a decent amount of money for the actual painting... This way, I figure if I screw it up, I screw it up and fix it... I couldn't see myself paying the 3000-4000 for a paint job and not being 100% happy with it... (obviously I'm more picky when I pay to have something done rather than doing it myself)

Last edited by mitsuguy; 07-26-07 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 10:48 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by vwynn
me too =[ earl schieab or watever SUCKS haha

so yea HOW DID you remove the paint? sry if i missed it on the other posts
yah, you missed it... you don't remove all the paint - only areas that need attention... everything else is sanded down - I used 180 grit for final sand before primer... paint sticks exceptionally well to existing paint, so it's actually preferred to scuff the existing paint rather than to go to bare metal 98% of the time - the other 2% includes cars that have had multiple paint jobs or shoddy repair / paint work....
Old 07-26-07, 11:03 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

o... i guess my idea of using airplane paint stripper isnt a good idea? my brother (not fwynn) that drives a sentra used that checmical to remove the paint off his rear bumper and well it gets the job done perdy quick. eats up paint and skin quick! got some on my elbow and well i was screaming..

but yea.. i guess when i get the car repainted again ill sand it myself rather then chemically strip it.
Old 07-26-07, 11:38 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

o... i guess my idea of using airplane paint stripper isnt a good idea? my brother (not fwynn) that drives a sentra used that checmical to remove the paint off his rear bumper and well it gets the job done perdy quick. eats up paint and skin quick! got some on my elbow and well i was screaming..

but yea.. i guess when i get the car repainted again ill sand it myself rather then chemically strip it.
that aircraft stripper you speak of is awesome... it works wonderfully...

on small parts...

problem with doing it to a big car is it has to go everywhere... it gets inside cracks, crevices, door jambs and such... cleaning it off is an exercise in futility - it never wants to come off even on small parts...
Old 07-26-07, 12:08 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

oh i see... does that stuff eat up rubber trim and such?
Old 07-26-07, 09:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Alright, as promised, here's some pics... first group is the car sanded 180 grit, ready for primer - I am doing the bumpers separately, so the rear will be tended to later (tomorrow, actually)...

Old 07-26-07, 09:54 PM
paulwd
Driver

Looking forward to seeing the finished job, I would like to be in a position to do mine , but I do not have the space at home to do it. So mine is in a paint shop being done. Paint stripper was used to remove the paint, but only one panel at a time, and it was masked off to control any spills,
Follow my trip as I paint my SC Matador Mica Red-img_0505_1_1.jpg

Plus being a 16 year old car, too much paint from touch ups, repairs etc, it really needed to go back to bare metal.

There is always the pleasure of saying you did it yourself, keep the good work up.

Last edited by paulwd; 07-29-07 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 09:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

alright, and here's with primer, unsanded as of these pics (I just got done sanding to 320 grit, and am ready to finish the bumpers) add 1.5 hours to time spent - total time spent: 27 hours

Old 07-26-07, 09:57 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking really good!
Old 07-26-07, 11:11 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

nice. did you mask you own garage yet before spraying?
Old 07-26-07, 11:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

nice. did you mask you own garage yet before spraying?
nope, and I don't intend on it... with the HVLP gun, there is very little overspray...
Old 07-27-07, 03:13 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

loking great man

Quick Reply: Follow my trip as I paint my SC Matador Mica Red