Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
we know your hard at work, but we love pics
not a lot to see, but ask and ye shall receive:

Old 07-29-07 | 02:37 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
I have a tip for you , if you have the time let the primer bake in the sun and cure for a few weeks that way any materials you put on the car have a chance to shrink or cure that way once your paint goes on the car will be sweet
This is true
Old 07-29-07 | 03:21 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Paint

Mitsuguy,

I am not a painter either but, as you, I have painted a few cars. The caution on letting paint "cure" was solid. Every coat of anything! Except the ones that say "second must be applied within XXXXX". I think you have beaten the system with your 10 hour bake at 120 degrees. That eliminates the waiting for cure. Bravo!

Please get us pics soon.

John
Old 07-29-07 | 04:13 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

are the mufflers going to be mica red too? I bet the auto paint would chip like the dickens when the mufflers would heat up.

I would consider unbolting the mufflers at the midpipe, rough sanding, and then spraying 1200*F black engine paint and 500*F engine clear to keep the mufflers looking stock...unless you plan on swapping them out after the paint job is done.
Old 07-29-07 | 04:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Blizzy
are the mufflers going to be mica red too? I bet the auto paint would chip like the dickens when the mufflers would heat up.

I would consider unbolting the mufflers at the midpipe, rough sanding, and then spraying 1200*F black engine paint and 500*F engine clear to keep the mufflers looking stock...unless you plan on swapping them out after the paint job is done.
that's pretty much exactly what I was planning on doing... along with fenderwells, and anything else that shouldn't be body color....
Old 07-29-07 | 07:30 PM
twizted
Instructor

I wouldnt let it bake in the sun, i did that with my primer and tacked raged the whole car down after. Some how it had some cantamination on it from outside still. You probably only want a 15min flash time before top coats aswell. Depending on what reducer you use......
Old 07-29-07 | 07:33 PM
twizted
Instructor

Nice job taking all the trims out and the mirrors apart. Great detail!
Old 07-29-07 | 07:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by twizted
I wouldnt let it bake in the sun, i did that with my primer and tacked raged the whole car down after. Some how it had some cantamination on it from outside still. You probably only want a 15min flash time before top coats aswell. Depending on what reducer you use......
yah, my morning tomorrow is gonna be hectic...

tack cloth car

sealer

wait 20 minutes

base coat

wait 20 minutes

clear coat

done

thats per tech sheets at least...

the only thing I am scared about is the mica flake in the paint and making sure it looks right / uniform... I have never sprayed a metallic/mica, so, I've read a million things about getting good coverage and then dusting the whole thing... I especially want to make sure there are no runs - with metallic, I'd have to re-spray that section if anything ran... oh well, we'll see how it goes...
Old 07-29-07 | 07:50 PM
t0p_sh0tta
Rookie

Both your work and write-up are great. I've been thinking of tackling a similar project.
Old 07-29-07 | 07:52 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
yah, my morning tomorrow is gonna be hectic...

tack cloth car

sealer

wait 20 minutes

base coat

wait 20 minutes

clear coat

done

thats per tech sheets at least...

the only thing I am scared about is the mica flake in the paint and making sure it looks right / uniform... I have never sprayed a metallic/mica, so, I've read a million things about getting good coverage and then dusting the whole thing... I especially want to make sure there are no runs - with metallic, I'd have to re-spray that section if anything ran... oh well, we'll see how it goes...
I wouldnt be to worried about it if its just a base coat clear coat system and you have the data sheet for it. Im sure youll be mor ethen happy with the results...
Old 07-29-07 | 10:56 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Paint

Mitsuguy,

I used that Nason paint in 94. I bought it because it was the cheapest stuff I could find and also because I didn't think I would have that 74 Winnebago much longer. Well, I still have the Winebago and that Dodge 440ci engine will not die. The paint is still shiny! Go figure! The stuff I used was a single stage "beige" called "Wimbledon Brown" and looked like it was OEM Winnebago. The horizontal surface under the window is pretty much gone but that is the only rough spot. The thing has sat outside in the Oregon rain for 12 years and I have only washed the coach maybe twice a year. Do not sell that Nason mfr. short. My product was only related to the multi stage stuff you are using by Brand name alone....but still, I hope this gives you an additional measure of confidence in the product. The brand I have used and had the most success with was Sherman Williams but that was a long while ago and it was spendy even then.

Send photos

John
Old 07-30-07 | 09:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

just got done with sealer and paint, getting ready to do clear...

Old 07-30-07 | 09:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

here's the car in Matador Mica Red, sans clear

Old 07-30-07 | 09:43 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

are you going to paint the inside of the cas cap ?
cant wait to see the pictures after its cleared.
Can your neighbors smell what you are doing ?

Quick Reply: Follow my trip as I paint my SC Matador Mica Red