Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

new ride!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 02:19 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
i love what you are doing, most people see these car as garbage at this condition, forgetting that its the people who drove it got it that way. Props to you!
haha thanks,

I'll admit its not easy, and frustrating at times, but i've learned a lot about the car and taking things apart by just asking questions and making attempts at fixing things.
Old 01-25-08, 07:29 AM
Scotty93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see you back in an SC. Will be looking forward to your final project. Your last car was sharp...
Old 01-25-08, 08:48 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Today I worked on cleaning up the engine bay a little. Not too much since I'm going to be tearing it up once the valve cover gasket + other tune up supplies get here.

I sprayed out all the vacuum lines to see if that would help with the idle issue, no luck yet. Probably be easier to diagnose once I get everything in place. In the engines current condition ANYTHING could be causing the idle issue.

What surprised me most was the idle is steady, it doesn't fluctuate and its not rough, its smooth as hell, just at around 100.

Go figure.

What I do love about working on cars like this... If you can handle most of the mechanical work, do a good tune-up, have some time and knowledgeable friends... You can save a little cash in the end. More mod money

Last edited by Curry; 01-25-08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 11:32 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

HORRAY!!

This is all that was in the coolant reservoir. About 2 tablespoons worth of coolant.

At the very bottom was some nasty paste looking stuff...

Needless to say the headgasket is probably gone. I have already ordered the gasket/seal kit from mark over at Club NA-T. I guess it's time to rip this baby apart.

Old 01-25-08, 11:35 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol oh boy u got a job on ur hands.
Old 01-25-08, 11:48 AM
juiSCee
Pole Position

Curry... good to see you got back on your feet man... good luck w/ this SC. will be waiting to see how it comes along...
Old 01-25-08, 03:23 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Everything I need to tune this motor up has been ordered.

1. Complete gasket and seal kit from mark (1.3MM Steel head gasket for turbo included)

2. ARP Studs

3. Water Pump + timing belt

4. Other tune up supplies

5. Springs. Though, the car is already low since 3 tires are still flat. LOL
Old 01-25-08, 05:02 PM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Have fun tearing apart that ge... lol You will soon hate the egr more than you thought possible.
Old 01-25-08, 05:06 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 100mgbluep
Have fun tearing apart that ge... lol You will soon hate the egr more than you thought possible.
Its not that bad on the 400 is it on the 300?
Old 01-25-08, 05:14 PM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Tearing the engine down or taking the egr off? Either way, it sucks.... Bolts on the back of the black with no room to get back there.. ugh, how im dreading changing out my headgasket
Old 01-25-08, 05:16 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 100mgbluep
Tearing the engine down or taking the egr off? Either way, it sucks.... Bolts on the back of the black with no room to get back there.. ugh, how im dreading changing out my headgasket
The EGR, I took mine all off my 400. The egr pipe in the back is a bit of a pain...
Old 01-25-08, 05:17 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Haha, todd mentioned this same thing to me this morning!

Since we're going to be in there deep, i'm going to be doing the EGR delete and coolant bypass.

I'm moving the car over to travis' garage sometime this week so we have someplace warm to work on it.

I've been doing all this work in 20-30 degree weather btw. lol. Oh and power washing a carpet in this weather... NOT FUN. I woke up this morning and the carpet was frozen to the concrete. LOL. The sun took care of that though.
Old 01-25-08, 05:27 PM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Ya, i spent a night trying to install a T61 in 24* weather.... That wasnt fun either
Old 01-25-08, 05:29 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man keep posting pictures along the way! i cant wait to see the finish product!
Old 01-25-08, 09:06 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Well after a few hours of searching, speaking to gazi and todd and poking around I found some good info and have a better sense of direction now.

A search on the brief white puffs of smoke from a cold start means that i'm probably burning coolant.

I also found this post by dave:

"White smoke is either the transmission shift modulator is bad and allowing the engine to suck and burn transmission fluid (repair costs under $100) or it’s really, really bad. White smoke could also be coolant or antifreeze that is either leaking, or being forced into the combustion chambers and being burned. The exhaust will look wet and have a sweet smell to it. A bad head gasket (75% of the time), a broken head (15% of the time) or a broken cylinder wall (10% of the time) will be the reason your engine is burning coolant or antifreeze. The repairs start at $400 and go to $4,000."

There was also a post saying that white momentary smoke at start up could be that the PS vacuum hose is sucking up some of the fluid. I believe thats what it said.

But first to be 100% sure as to whether or not the head gasket is blown I'm going to drain the oil and see if it looks like a delicious milkshake.

If its NOT:

Ill do a compression test, install the new plugs, wires, PCV, cap and rotor. Then i'll flush the coolant and see how the car runs.

Last edited by Curry; 01-25-08 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: new ride!