Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

B-ver's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-09, 01:41 AM
wheels 2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ok.Thanks for the help i think i might go with miller or lincoln i will see what the sales man at the welding store says.

Last edited by wheels 2; 06-15-09 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-15-09, 02:29 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

Wow its good to see the car for the most part put together.. However i dunno if im a big fan of the flames on the bottom and the flowers on the back.. Seems like it clashes a little bit to me..

But the overall outcome of the car itself(less the vinyl) is amazing.. Great job
Old 07-05-09, 10:54 PM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sorry to everyone that has been following this thread. Not because of the flames, but because I havent really kept up with the updates laitly. Well most of the last couple weeks have been spent on wireing which doesnt include many pics. I did get the exhaust done over the weekend which was one of the last big things missing on this project. Its 98% ready to fire up, still needs some wireing and things like breathers for the valve covers.

Picked up some injectors, thanks to Bob over at Drift Office, he ordered some out of his own pocket and didnt allow me to pay for them. Picked up new connectors and had to reuse alot of the pins off the stock harness. What took alot of my time was taking out and reusing so many of the connectors to make the harnesses. To be honest, I just suck at wireing. I can make it work but I'm really not that good at sitting there soldering and heat shrinking so many things. Here's some pics of the progress.

Got me a tial V44, cut off the original 4 bolt flange and welded on the vband. Fits so nice.

Starting on the down pipe. Goes from 3.5" to 4"

Not a real fan of the cut and weld method but didnt really have much of a choice with how tight the radius needed to be. I feel so JDM for some reason. Splits from 4" to twin 3" next to the gate. Yeah its a tight fit.

Megan racing is up the street from us, and I usually help them out with setting up thier team cars, they help me out when I need stuff. So I went threw thier pile of damaged exhausts and basicly grabbed anything in 3". It took about 12 of thier exhausts to cut appart to make the twin pipes running under my car. I know its not pretty but at least its free.

I hate wires.

More hate on wires. Didnt even take a pic of the finished product.

There is something else that has come up this week. One of the FD teams was looking for a driver and asked if I wanted to come out today for testing (july 5th) at Drift Day and I agreed. Tanaka racing (http://site.tanakaracing.net/Home_Page.html) has a blown 427 with about 700hp and 750 torque vette, how could you not want to. A few of my friends were out there as well and I must say, its nice to have that much power. You really dont need to push the gas more then half way at any time, the 295 nitto's are just spinning. At first we did some open area drifts and the car was nice. Really predictable. With Taka's help we sort of mapped out the track size for Formula D and set up a practice track. Thats when things got a bit hairy, driving in this 800 foot by 350 foot area seemed to bring some problems out in the steering. I felt uneasy and would over shoot the corner. We made some drastic adjustments to the car that changed how the car reacted to inputs while in drift and it started to regain its comfort level.

Well long story short, they asked if I would like to drive it next week in vegas for Formula D, and after talking it over with a few friends, I agreed to drive. I'm really excited to get this chance as a driver to be behind the wheel, not in just any car but one that is already a proven contender.

Dont give up on my project because I havent. Still putting hours of work in and I'm so close to getting her running, then its time for testing.
Old 07-05-09, 11:26 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new ride....good luck in Vegas..
Old 07-06-09, 09:39 AM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the new opportunity
Old 07-06-09, 09:55 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

good luck in vegas!! good to see some new updates on your project.. i hope it didnt come off as flaming on my last post. just a personal opinion thats all..
Old 07-06-09, 10:10 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

right on alex. good luck with the tanaka vette. if you ever need a hand with work on the sc ill be more than happy to come down and help out.
Old 07-06-09, 10:27 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait so what happened to the original Tanaka Corvette driver?
Old 07-06-09, 06:13 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

so sick!!!!!!
Old 07-06-09, 07:54 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good Alex. Lovin' your JDM welds.
Old 07-08-09, 12:05 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the dry weight. Did the final alignment today but there are still a bunch of stuff missing from the car like gas, oil, trans fluid, passenger seat, mirrors, and other stuff so this is just the dry weight. To me just having the car under 3000lbs is really good for her. I know if I built the same car again that I could bring the weight down even more but I'm really happy to be in this area right now. Down side is that the car is maxed out on what I can do with the alignment. I have to run it the way she is and see what she feels like before any changes can be made. 53% front weight isnt too bad, usually try to be closer to 52%. For some reason the cars I've driven that was at 52% felt the best.

Just worked on alot of small things mostly. Trying to get the car ready to fire up. Turbo mounted in for the last time, added a power steering cooler, also added a line lock but installed it on the rear brakes so that I can lock out the rear instead of locking in the fronts. They require us to keep moving durring burn outs, need to keep rolling or you end up digging into the track surface, so since the rear brakes are big, added the line lock just to delete the rear brakes, that way they are not dragging while your trying to do rolling burn outs.

Got to still run some hoses and such and need to go pick that up. Dont have much time before vegas so spent some of it getting the scooters up and running, and taking care of orders.
Old 07-08-09, 08:12 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is very impressive weight loss. good job!
Old 07-08-09, 03:01 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

very impressive alex, let me know when you want me to come drive the car around for you!
Old 07-09-09, 03:28 PM
Sc300drive
Driver School Candidate

Dude that is a crazy build u got going there!
Old 07-09-09, 10:08 PM
wheels 2
Pole Position

How much longer till you get it running?

Quick Reply: B-ver's Build Thread