Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

MOEJZ's - Build/Swap and how I got here :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 09:59 PM
moejz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Epik
Moe, why the choice to use the hydro fan and Aristo WP?

Rush.. yes, if you look at the aluminum cross brace under the tranny, one side says "L6" and one side says "Turbo" with arrows facing different directions. Stock GS300 piece, just flip it.
yeap ...Epik is correct on the Cross member.

Jeff, From my past experience with running the hydro fan setup in my Supras, I can honestly say that nothing cools the turbo motors better than the hydrofans or the clutch fans. The hydrofans move so much air you won't believe it lol and it is very reliable and serviceable ( waterpump). Also, it is servo controlled so the speed is variable according to the temperature.
another thing was I saved some money not replacing it which I spent on other things.
Old 07-17-09, 01:25 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all good points. i can definitely see the benefits on a street car in that case.
Old 07-20-09, 09:20 AM
moejz
Pole Position

Okay so here is what I did over the weekend :

Didn't have time to order another tranny mount, so I went to the junk yard and found one off the SC300. This mount is about 1/8th of an inch shorter than the GS300 mount, but not enough to make a difference and worked perfectly.

My hydrofan did not come with a shroud, so i looked for a hydrofan from a 93 Camry ( v6 Model) as they came with it. Another car that came with that is a earlier model Avalons.
After measuring, the GS radiator is the same size as the Camry's so pulled the hydrofan setup as well. I had to do some mods to the fan as I am using the MkIV TT radiator.

Pulled the Throttle cable from the Same Camry. For those that don't know, the Camry's throttle cable works for a MKIII Supra with a 2jzgte conversion. it also calls for a 2jzgte throttle cable and either one works. The are both the same length. . I am sure this will work for this set as well.

Also pulled off a ABS FR hard brake line from a GS as I had damaged mine during engine installation .

So since I am a budget minded guy when it comes to playing with cars, I think I did pretty good savings with all these parts :

lets see :

If bought brand new :
Tranny mount : 70.00
2jzgte throttle cable : 45.00
Hydrofan ( used ) : 150.00 aproximately
Brake line : $30.00
TOTAL = Aproximately $295.oo

What I paid at the junkyard :
Mount
Hydrofan/Shroud/surge tank/
Tranny cooler
Throttle cable
brake line

TOTAL = $58.00
------------------------

Now on to some pictures. The turbos have been mounted and bolted down. I just need to tighten the drain lines. Time to buy a bigger wrench lol.

The turbo outlet piping actually fits and was designed to clear the ABS lines seems like. Nice work EPIK - it actually fits . And it sits in perfect location to run the IC piping down.

Enjoy :

Old 07-20-09, 09:22 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Looks great
Old 07-20-09, 09:34 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So sick! Great job!
Old 07-20-09, 09:35 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

the last picture makes it look like your engine has come alive and is climbing out of your car lol. the turbos are the eyes...

great deals on all the parts!

epik or moejz, whats the power output on that setup?
Old 07-20-09, 12:31 PM
moejz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
the last picture makes it look like your engine has come alive and is climbing out of your car lol. the turbos are the eyes...

great deals on all the parts!

epik or moejz, whats the power output on that setup?

Thanks Lex... I will find out about the power once I have this car up and running. I will have to get it tuned before giving it some heavy padling and will post the numbers. Its all part of this build plan.
Old 07-20-09, 06:33 PM
rush007
Driver School Candidate

so why was it you changed the throttle cable, is that required for the swap? what about the injectors or fuel pump? can the stock fuel system be used or what should be changed?
Old 07-20-09, 08:58 PM
moejz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rush007
so why was it you changed the throttle cable, is that required for the swap? what about the injectors or fuel pump? can the stock fuel system be used or what should be changed?
GE throttle cable is too short ( different intake design. )
I did not change the injectors, no need to as they are 440's and can handle decent power. I will eventually change them when I deicde to push for big power.
I will be changing the fuel pump as well just for good measure. Stock fuel system should be good for at or around 350 hp...after that may get risky.
Old 07-21-09, 06:43 PM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good Moe. I'm gonna try and follow your lead
Old 07-23-09, 08:56 AM
moejz
Pole Position

Hey Howat....hows it going bud!.

Well, I did some more work on this. Took me some extra time to properly mount the Radiator hydrofan from the Camry .

Made some aluminum brakcets and mounted them up solid so looks almost like factory.

I also mounted the intercooler and used the Aristo bumper support to mount it up .
The Aristo bumper is almost half the size but the mounts were a bit off. ( I did not have the Aristo bumper support brackets ). Quick fix was to enlarge the two closest holes and mount them like factory . solid now.

Also pulled off the body kit from the Blue GS300 I bought a few weeks ago and test moounted it on the black GS. Had to trim the grill opening to clear the intercooler but it sits very nice now. I like it.

Here is some foto from my phone with IC mounted. Will be routing the IC piping today

Old 07-26-09, 09:42 PM
moejz
Pole Position

well, after bolting everything up and filling and topping most of the fluid, I tried the fire up the car and "Nothing" no click..nor crank.
Then my friend noticed that my tranny indicator lights was showing the car was in reverse, when the lever was in Park . Lol...so had to go underneath and readjust my shifter.

After the shifter was fixed, car started right up. I still need to fill the power steering fluid as well as the hydrodan fluid. Didn't have enough.

Need to fab a small y-pipe to a single 3 inch to connect my dual downpipes to my new exhaust.

I will be running the HKS silent power ( twin ) exhaust made for the Aristo. Should be here this week.

Here is a quick startup video...its loud without the exhaust but the engine sounds very good.

Here is a short video I took. My friend stopped by and game a hand..( in the video ) lol

Car as it sits. I was going to put a fiull body kit, but will only use the front and buy a different sides/and rear maybe.

Last edited by moejz; 07-26-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 11:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds really good...
Old 07-28-09, 06:22 PM
rush007
Driver School Candidate

looking good, sounds good. like i said before, im following your lead too. prepping my motor for install. why did you use the supra mounts? are the gs one not strong enoung? anyway thanks for all the info,much appreciated. first 2jz build. need to extend the harness still, thats going to suck!
Old 07-28-09, 08:59 PM
moejz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rush007
looking good, sounds good. like i said before, im following your lead too. prepping my motor for install. why did you use the supra mounts? are the gs one not strong enoung? anyway thanks for all the info,much appreciated. first 2jz build. need to extend the harness still, thats going to suck!
Thanks..and glad this swap thread is going to help you guys. That was the plan form the start.

Supra/98 MKIV mounts are enclosed in a metal casing and real solid. They don't break apart like the round rubber mounts do that comes on the Aristo and the GS300. Also, its cheaper than buying the GS300 mounts from lexus.
I also like the fact it places the engine about 1/2 an inch lower which all equates to a lower center of gravity

Post any questions here and I'll try my best to answer.

Wiring is super straight forward.

Last edited by moejz; 07-29-09 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: MOEJZ's - Build/Swap and how I got here :)