Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*right click save* wow. great job man.
Old 09-02-09, 10:02 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Urgent Help Needed:

My fog is held only by one bolt/screw to the rear since the mounting tab for the side on inside the bumper is too short. Both fogs are currently flopping around

Does anyone know what bolt/screw size fits in that side tab? I am planning to screw it in and use a large washer to reach the bumper's tab
Old 09-02-09, 10:46 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Urgent Help Needed:

My fog is held only by one bolt/screw to the rear since the mounting tab for the side on inside the bumper is too short. Both fogs are currently flopping around

Does anyone know what bolt/screw size fits in that side tab? I am planning to screw it in and use a large washer to reach the bumper's tab
I believe it's 5 or 6mm screw. You can find it at Ace Hardware or Martinet Hardware.
Old 09-02-09, 06:59 PM
clean
Driver

thaz a good paint job,
Old 09-02-09, 07:02 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Beautiful

The vertex hood spoiler is a really nice touch as well.
Old 09-03-09, 05:00 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

8mm socket head.
Old 09-03-09, 07:17 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a hell of a change. I love it.
Old 09-03-09, 07:39 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

15mm spacers and your SC will be juuust right. Looks great, one of the cleanest red SC's around now.
Old 09-04-09, 12:57 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

So I thought everything was well until the area the area around my driver side headlight/highbeams got screwed up. For some mysterious reason, unknown to this very minute, the clear coat in the immediate area somehow shrunk up and turned into the crinkly matte finish.

The finish on the area was fine before the bumper was on the car. It was fine when we picked up the car and when we picked it up, me and CrazySC300 scrutinized it and didn't see it. The same goes when I brought the car over to Chrispy's house. So somehow abruptly it got messed up while curing.

So I figured I needed some other work done anyways, I went back to Makito Nakai from Seven Apple Body Works / Shine, to take care of all of it for me.

1. My fogs are flopping around since it is only held by 2 bolts instead of three due to the tabs being too short. They needed to be securely mounted asap before it becomes a road debris

2. Where the fender and bumper meets, my bumper jammed into the fender after I scraped the bumper a few times and the paint on the bumper got slightly damaged.

3. In the driver side highbeams where the clearcoat defect was, there were some fitment issues with my highbeam. There is a gap and the curvature of the opening is somewhat irregular so some shaving could improve it.

4. There isn't enough paint in gaps of between the sideskirts and the body panel, which made the gaps appear to be more apparent.

5. Rear license plate is mounted with a screws so it can be made more secure with rivet screw holes.

6. Hood spoiler needed to be refinished

While being busy working as a production manager, Makito was nice enough to spare some time to multi-tasked to help me out. Now that is definitely customer service, especially when many of my problems had nothing to do with the kit.

Here are some pictures from throughout the day

All wrapped up with slits cut up to expose the hood spoiler and side skirt gaps.

The bumper getting worked on. The defective clearcoat and basecoat got sanded off around the driver side highbeam area. Same goes for the paint on the side that was caused by ineptitude with driving lowered cars.

A tab was retrofitted on to properly mount the fogs. It will be later be trimmed. I never said or expected the kit to be perfect.

Bumper getting touched up and blended in the paint booth

After many many hours later

Oddly, the clear coat cured really weird again in that area for some mysterious reason in that area despite being sanded down and re-sprayed the base coat, pearl coat, and clear coat. It seems as if the primer or basecoat is absorbing the clear and causing it to slightly shrink. Who the heck knows why. We'll wet sand and polish it in a couple of days after it is cured.

So while Makito was working on the car, I lurked around the facilities to snap up some pictures.

Ahhh, SC bumpers waiting to be boxed up and shipped out

More SC bumpers fresh out of the mold in the back waiting to get worked on.

Now this is one of the most coveted items in the building. The mold for the kit! It was stashed in the back corner.

So yea, mad props and special thanks to Makito and Ken for awesome customer service!

Last edited by xknowonex; 09-04-09 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 01:09 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Wow... So, this is Shine Auto or the other place you got your body work done? They mold stuff too and sell? I guess they are a distributor?
Old 09-04-09, 01:17 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Wow... So, this is Shine Auto or the other place you got your body work done? They mold stuff too and sell? I guess they are a distributor?
I went directly to Shine Auto since the production manager Makito Nakai runs his side body shop business Seven Apple Works - http://www.myspace.com/sevenappleworks - in the Shine building. I figured that he would be most competent person to resolve my issues.

Shine does everything in house: Making molds, making kits, sell them directly, and bodywork.

He is actually quite well known within the Mazda, Supra, and 350z community.

Last edited by xknowonex; 09-04-09 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 01:47 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Good info... Sounds like a really great honest guy... 2 thumbs up
Old 09-04-09, 06:58 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks dope man, hope everything gets sorted out.
Old 09-04-09, 08:39 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wait... so the question comes to mind, how much would all the work actually cost someone who's not dealing with Shine directly like you are... like for example someone out of state who can't just drive back and forth to Shine Seven Apple, etc.

Without reviewing (so if I get the number wrong then oh well) I thought I read somewhere in earlier posts that your savings was around $400ish-$500ish compared to a genuine Auto Couture kit... but then it seems like there was more work that needed to be done after that guesstimate. Makes me wonder if it's worth it either way, you know? Does one pay $400-500 more (or whatever the number was) for genuine with supposedly better fitment, or $400-500 less for the Shine kit, which you might or might not have to make a few "after" visits to the body shop to get just right?

I'm not taking sides here, just working out the pros/cons.
Old 09-04-09, 09:35 AM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raine
Wait... so the question comes to mind, how much would all the work actually cost someone who's not dealing with Shine directly like you are... like for example someone out of state who can't just drive back and forth to Shine Seven Apple, etc.

Without reviewing (so if I get the number wrong then oh well) I thought I read somewhere in earlier posts that your savings was around $400ish-$500ish compared to a genuine Auto Couture kit... but then it seems like there was more work that needed to be done after that guesstimate. Makes me wonder if it's worth it either way, you know? Does one pay $400-500 more (or whatever the number was) for genuine with supposedly better fitment, or $400-500 less for the Shine kit, which you might or might not have to make a few "after" visits to the body shop to get just right?

I'm not taking sides here, just working out the pros/cons.
Good question

Quick Reply: My Shine Auto Project Build Thread