Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My Shine Auto Project Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 12:19 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't mean to thumbs down. I'm on my phone posting.

I was curious because I too have a 97+ black SC400 with minimal imperfections. I'm going to be taking this plunge within the next 2-3 months.
Old 08-04-09, 12:19 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rvaquino
Once everything's done we should meet up sometime and get some pictures going!
I live in walnut/diamond bar! Man, your car is gonna look hot with the kit and that color!
Old 08-04-09, 12:58 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man i really wanna see this when finished
Old 08-04-09, 01:40 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex

Here is the shop's address

Utu Autobody Repair
3500 Westminster Ave Ste F
Santa Ana, CA 92703

If you plan to stop by, tell him that Jerry from the Clublexus forum with a red SC inside his shop referred you. The owner is a middle aged Vietnamese man so if his son isn't there, bring along a Vietnamese friend.
I'm going to have to check this shop out to get a quote. I want to get a new front bumper since mine has a crack and license plate holes.
Old 08-04-09, 08:09 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryeno
it'll be worth it tho.

First day after i installed my 97+ kit i was speechless. It just looked soo damn good. And now whenever i see a pre 97 car they just disgust me. They look like somekind of weird koi fish car.

I don't know if that was meant to be funny but I had a laugh. And I agree to an extent
Old 08-04-09, 11:02 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'll be worth it tho.

First day after i installed my 97+ kit i was speechless. It just looked soo damn good. And now whenever i see a pre 97 car they just disgust me. They look like somekind of weird koi fish car.
Word, I really dislike the pre-97 bodies, tails, shifter, list goes on
Old 08-04-09, 11:33 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

So far i put in a 96 auto dimming rear view mirror, 96 trunk sidelining with grove for first aid kit, 3 spoke wheel (still working on the airbag) and full 97+ kit (missing the door moldings)

Right now i am installing the 97+ molded ignition key ring and retrofiting a 96 headlight switch for the fog light ability.

I'm literally 3 mods (not including seats or pass airbag) away from my car being a true newer model sc. The climate control + sensors + guage cluster displaying the temp/mpg data, auto dimming side mirrors and homelink are the only that are still "old" on my car.
Thats alot of small details. I would just skip out on the older steering wheels entirely and get the SC430/GS430 one. Feels way better
Old 08-04-09, 11:44 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Hows the color matching with those wheels? I was worried that either the wood grain or the leather wouldnt match the car. Thats why i went rx300 in my 92 300 5spd and is300 in my brothers 98 400.
Its close enough unless you're going to nitpick. Only issue is getting a single stage airbag since they cost 500+ if you can find one. So, I am just running a dummy airbag from a Camry with a Toyota logo.
Old 08-04-09, 11:53 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

i'm just running that stiched up airbag until i either decide to actually buy a rx300 one or fix up the deployed spare i have.

Its funny i got pulled over a few days ago and the cop didnt even mention the stiching.
Since when was it illegal to drive without a functional airbag??

As long as you don't have anything obstructing your view (gps, radar, junk hanging off your mirror) and you are properly restrained, I have never heard of anything.
Old 08-05-09, 12:01 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I thought if your car come with an airbag its illegal to disable or remove them. You have to get permission from the NHTSA to do it.
If it is, it probably cannot be enforced. Fix-it tickets for all the people with Nardi wheels? Correct me if I am wrong but I have never heard of anyone getting a fix-ticket for having an aftermarket steering wheel.
Old 08-05-09, 12:12 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryeno, it's gonna be damn hard to match the wood anyway since all your wood is different colors from sun damage. Did I ever show you the ES330 wood/black leather wheel I got? It looks good. I was about to install it yesterday after I transplanted my airbag into it but I hit a roadblock because the wheel I got had some damage unfortunately.. I bought it from LKQ too which is where a lot of people go to buy wheels.

Jerry, how'd you attach your airbag cover btw, did you use the metal bracket? If not let me know if you'd consider swapping the wheels because if your not running an airbag, the internal damage that's preventing me from installing my wheel won't affect the installation of your dummy cover. I'll compensate you if you agree let me know!
Old 08-05-09, 12:16 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCboy
Ryeno, it's gonna be damn hard to match the wood anyway since all your wood is different colors from sun damage. Did I ever show you the ES330 wood/black leather wheel I got? It looks good. I was about to install it yesterday after I transplanted my airbag into it but I hit a roadblock because the wheel I got had some damage unfortunately.. I bought it from LKQ too which is where a lot of people go to buy wheels.

Jerry, how'd you attach your airbag cover btw, did you use the metal bracket? If not let me know if you'd consider swapping the wheels because if your not running an airbag, the internal damage that's preventing me from installing my wheel won't affect the installation of your dummy cover. I'll compensate you if you agree let me know!
I did use the metal bracket since I don't think there is any other way to install the airbag. I don't think there is a way to install the cover onto the steering wheel without the entire thing and have your horns working etc.
Old 08-05-09, 12:19 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I did use the metal bracket since I don't think there is any other way to install the airbag. I don't think there is a way to install the cover onto the steering wheel without the entire thing and have your horns working etc.
Right I forgot lol. Hmm I guess I'll buy another wheel from LKQ and hope for the best. I'm running the Camry cover too, except I shaved out the T part, made an oval from black plastic and filled in that hole, then stuck on a L emblem. It looks pretty good. Then I had to do some work to fit it on my 99 bag. If you can find a bag for a 3 spoke SC I can help you install it if you want.
Old 08-05-09, 12:26 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Just an old pic for reference

Wait so you are trying to stuff your functional airbag into the newer style steering wheel?

I don't know man. The airbag can produce alot of force and I would not trust it improperly rigged behind something.

Either

a. Run it without a functional airbag by not connecting it.

b. Get a 2001 RX bag which is extremely rare and can fetch $500+

Last edited by xknowonex; 08-05-09 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 07:14 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Ryeno

Metra has a single DIN stereo install kit. Go get it!

Quick Reply: My Shine Auto Project Build Thread