Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 05:33 AM
Rodneyc77
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dope build, really serious stuff going on...

I love the kinetik stuff... I have a few in my car... a HC1800 upfront and a HC2400 in the rear... are you doing a high output alternator?
Old 08-19-10, 07:59 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I went over to the shop yesterday to see the fenders for myself and talk to the guy at the body shop. Though we dont really have any VIP style cars out here he seems to have an understanding of what I want as far as the look I want. I showed him in a few VIP magazines and even let him hold onto one so that he can compare. He has done a lot of widebody type work in the past which is why I guess he is more comfortable with the flare than trying to pull it to fit. I think it will come out good. He said I would be able to drive it basically slammed. So lets see how it turns out.

Some pics from yesterday. This is with the car slammed (zero air) he says that I could drive it at this height with no rubbing issues.
Attached Thumbnails Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn2976_small.jpg   Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn2979_small.jpg   Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn2980_small.jpg   Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn2981_small.jpg  
Old 08-19-10, 08:23 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive
front is more aggressive than the rear? also, did you add a spacer in the front? it looks much different than that on the previous pics.

Are you sure you like that aftermarket "flair" look when going with vip style? Did you bring them pics of how you wanted yours to look? last, it looks like they are going to pull the rear too much possibly.
The front is not more aggressive than the rear I guess it is just the angle of the pic. It seemed that way to me too so I called to make sure they had not mounted one of the rear wheels on the front or something like that. Seeing it in person it looks a lot better. I think it will look better with a smaller tire size though.

I think the aftermarket flare is cool but I really had not thought it would be needed. I think it is just more a comfort level with that style of fender mod for my body guy.
Old 08-19-10, 08:25 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rodneyc77
Dope build, really serious stuff going on...

I love the kinetik stuff... I have a few in my car... a HC1800 upfront and a HC2400 in the rear... are you doing a high output alternator?
No plans to upgrade the alternator at this time. I will wait and see how it performs.
Old 08-19-10, 08:28 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

On another note while I was there I did have them take the exhaust off because it was looking really bad since my car has been running rich for awhile. I got some cleaning products that were recommended to me in the Detailing section of the forum and have started the process of getting them cleaned up.

Here is the pic of how they looked coming off of the car.
Attached Thumbnails Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn2999_small.jpg  
Old 08-19-10, 08:42 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

After about 10 minutes of scrubbing with Grime Reaper degreaser and sprying with a hose this is how they look. So there is hope!
Attached Thumbnails Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn3013_small.jpg   Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn3017_small.jpg  
Old 08-19-10, 09:09 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Hey Mark, build is coming along very nicely. The front looks like it's going to be really aggressive and flush, especially when you get a slightly stretched tire on there, but the rears look like they are going to be sunk in too deep. I know you are getting spacers to flush out the rears more, but is your body guy taking that into consideration?
Old 08-19-10, 09:32 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by veritek
Hey Mark, build is coming along very nicely. The front looks like it's going to be really aggressive and flush, especially when you get a slightly stretched tire on there, but the rears look like they are going to be sunk in too deep. I know you are getting spacers to flush out the rears more, but is your body guy taking that into consideration?
No he doesn't know anything about spacers and I will only use them if I must. I don't think its going to look as sunken in as the way it looks because I think the fender is going to be trimmed a little or something.
Old 08-19-10, 05:08 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have them get your fenders exactly where you want them before they paint!

If you don't get it done right, you won't be happy. I'd say have them trim the fender or push it in a bit. If you trim it, it'll be more symetrical with the front, and would raise up the fender arch slightly, and when you are lowering the car it will match with the front, and not tuck as much in the rear. It'd almost be 'radiusing' the fenders, without going too crazy.

IMO, I'd do it anyways, just because I don't like when the rear fender is lower than the front, and tucking almost to the rim, when the front is just touching the tire, yet the car is 'level,' you know what I mean?

You'll need to get it pushed in a bit anyway, because it looks too pulled. I know they made them match, but it is too much in the rear, you'll definitely need spacers.
Old 08-19-10, 11:44 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Mark, This fitment is $$
Old 08-20-10, 05:33 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VipDout

Mark, This fitment is $$
I don't understand what you mean James. That fitment is the reason that we had to do a fender mod. When we attempted to lower the car more it would not tuck and that was with no tire on the wheel. I really prefer the tucked look when I am slammed so I wanted to make sure that the fender could tuck the tire/wheel. I'm not a huge fan of negative camber either so the fender mod was suggested.
Old 08-20-10, 07:52 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Automan
I don't understand what you mean James. That fitment is the reason that we had to do a fender mod. When we attempted to lower the car more it would not tuck and that was with no tire on the wheel. I really prefer the tucked look when I am slammed so I wanted to make sure that the fender could tuck the tire/wheel. I'm not a huge fan of negative camber either so the fender mod was suggested.
i guess you are going more for the flared look like on this but lower and tucking

you need a smaller width tire to tuck it with fender hitting the rim and tire tucking up underneath like this

Old 08-20-10, 08:42 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn...that looks unreal, like a professional photoshopper managed to stretch that lip 6".

I always wonder can these cars with the tire stretching, be daily drivers??? I mean, can you last 2 summers with the same tires?
Old 08-20-10, 08:46 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Man I need to apply to whatever employer you work for cause your straight BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
Old 08-20-10, 09:55 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carbongs
i guess you are going more for the flared look like on this but lower and tucking

you need a smaller width tire to tuck it with fender hitting the rim and tire tucking up underneath like this

See I was actually trying to avoid having it look something like that because that is way to much for me. The tire does not even go all the way to the edge of the wheel. I have had way to much bad luck with tires to do something like that. Actually what I wanted was for my wider wheel to tuck like my old wheels did. It doesn't look like it will have that same look but I guess we will see when it is done.
Attached Thumbnails Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn0655_small.jpg   Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography-dscn0657_small.jpg  

Quick Reply: Automan's New Build / "Auto"biography