93 GS300 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 09:10 PM
Losaun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 GS300 Build

Hi guys, My name is Losaun,

I have a 93 GS300. I was looking forward to putting a 2JGTE swap into my GS until I found a black on black sc300 5speed for a dirt cheap price. So I purchased a GE engine for little of nothing. Cam seals, timing belt, water pump, rear man seal, dipstick seal, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket have all been changed. I have a few issues I need help right now.

1. when I spin the crank shouldn't I hear compression sounds? I spin the crank on the old engine and can hear compression sounds. Is there something I am missing? The new engine has under 90K on it and is really clean. I am trying to avoid putting the engine in the car and it has major failure issues. I know the timing is correct.

2. I dropped my torque converter on the floor from about 2 feet off the ground. should I be worried.

3. What do I need to do to get the torque converter seated into the trans correctly..

4. When I press the brakes hard at low speeds the front drivers wheels seems to completely move. what could this be?

5. I have the engine and trans out of the car and I am anxious to put the new one in but my rack and pinion is completly busted. Should I do it before the I put the engine back in? (potentially stupid question.....) Sorry...

Here are some pictures of my baby!!!

Last edited by Losaun; 11-20-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-18-09, 07:29 PM
Losaun
Driver

Come on guys help me out please.... I am new here....
Old 11-18-09, 09:07 PM
phollero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Losaun
Hi guys, My name is Losaun,

I have a 93 GS300. I was looking forward to putting a 2JGTE swap into my GS until I found a black on black sc300 5speed for a dirt cheap price. So I purchased a GE engine for little of nothing. Cam seals, timing belt, water pump, rear man seal, dipstick seal, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket have all been changed. I have a few issues I need help right now.

1. when I spin the crank shouldn't I hear compression sounds? I spin the crank on the old engine and can hear compression sounds. Is there something I am missing? The new engine has under 90K on it and is really clean. I am trying to avoid putting the engine in the car and it has major failure issues. I know the timing is correct.

2. I dropped my torque converter on the floor from about 2 feet off the ground. should I be worried.

3. What do I need to do to get the torque converter seated into the trans correctly..

4. When I press the brakes hard at low speeds the front drivers wheels seems to completely move. what could this be?

5. I have the engine and trans out of the car and I am anxious to put the new one in but my rack and pinion is completly busted. Should I do it before the I put the engine back in? (potentially stupid question.....) Sorry...
Welcome to the club...

1. You should feel resistance when you rotate the crank because of compression. You don't necessarily hear it.

2. Inspect your torque converter on the outside for dents or holes. It is hollow inside because it fills with transmission fluid so you don't want holes leaking out transmission fluid. You don't want dents because it needs to spin smoothly. Dents would cause it to be out of balance and wobble.

3. Torque converter seating: Using a feeler gauge and straight edge, measure between the installed surface of the transmission and the straight edge.
Clearance should be less than 0.1 mm (0.004 in.) Almost flush.
See picture below.

4. Most likely warped rotors are causing your steering wheel to shimmy. Service your brakes by bleeding dirty fluid, check/replace rotors and grease your caliper pins with caliper grease.

5. Yes, you should fix your steering rack and pinion first. It is easier to work on it with the engine out of the way from above unless you have a lift to work on it from below. If it's completely busted I would try to find a used one from a junk yard and just replace the whole assembly.

Excessive play can be caused by several things:
1. Steering system joints (Worn)
2. Suspension arm ball joints (Worn)
3. Intermediate shaft, Universal joint, Sliding yoke (Worn)
4. Front wheel bearing (Worn)
5. Power steering gear
6. PPS system
Attached Thumbnails 93 GS300 Build-snapshot-2009-11-18-20-54-12.jpg  
Old 11-19-09, 05:15 PM
Losaun
Driver

Originally Posted by phollero
Welcome to the club...

1. You should feel resistance when you rotate the crank because of compression. You don't necessarily hear it.

2. Inspect your torque converter on the outside for dents or holes. It is hollow inside because it fills with transmission fluid so you don't want holes leaking out transmission fluid. You don't want dents because it needs to spin smoothly. Dents would cause it to be out of balance and wobble.

3. Torque converter seating: Using a feeler gauge and straight edge, measure between the installed surface of the transmission and the straight edge.
Clearance should be less than 0.1 mm (0.004 in.) Almost flush.
See picture below.

4. Most likely warped rotors are causing your steering wheel to shimmy. Service your brakes by bleeding dirty fluid, check/replace rotors and grease your caliper pins with caliper grease.

5. Yes, you should fix your steering rack and pinion first. It is easier to work on it with the engine out of the way from above unless you have a lift to work on it from below. If it's completely busted I would try to find a used one from a junk yard and just replace the whole assembly.

Excessive play can be caused by several things:
1. Steering system joints (Worn)
2. Suspension arm ball joints (Worn)
3. Intermediate shaft, Universal joint, Sliding yoke (Worn)
4. Front wheel bearing (Worn)
5. Power steering gear
6. PPS system
Thank you Phollero,

When I am reinstalling the torque converter shouldn't I be able to spin the propeller on the end of the transmission and see the converter spin as well? I realize you gave me a good and effectient way to verify correct installation already I am just curious.

thank you so much man.....
Old 11-19-09, 06:14 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Well i would do a compession check on the engine before u install it better safe than sorry and also make sure u fill the torque convertor with tranny fluid before u install it. i usually put it on the ground and slowly fill it with tranny fluid, spin the convertor, the goal is to make sure all the veins of the torque convertor are filledhope this helps
Old 11-20-09, 04:20 PM
Losaun
Driver

Originally Posted by plkyone
Well i would do a compession check on the engine before u install it better safe than sorry and also make sure u fill the torque convertor with tranny fluid before u install it. i usually put it on the ground and slowly fill it with tranny fluid, spin the convertor, the goal is to make sure all the veins of the torque convertor are filledhope this helps
Thanks Plkyone,
Is there a lexus kit available to do this with? Or will a generic one work. If so please provide as much info as possible. I am not an engine guy. (At least not yet!!)
Old 11-20-09, 07:37 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

well u would need a comperssion tester, remove the spark plugs and screw the compression guage into the spark plug hole you will have to crank the engine @ a normal starting speed a few times and watch the compression guage (this has to be done on all 6 chambers)to tell u the truth it may be easier for u to find a shop that will help u cause its kinda a pain in the a** if u dont have the proper tools

Naw generic tool will work it should have the metric adapter to fit the plug hole
Old 11-20-09, 08:00 PM
Losaun
Driver

Originally Posted by plkyone
well u would need a comperssion tester, remove the spark plugs and screw the compression guage into the spark plug hole you will have to crank the engine @ a normal starting speed a few times and watch the compression guage (this has to be done on all 6 chambers)to tell u the truth it may be easier for u to find a shop that will help u cause its kinda a pain in the a** if u dont have the proper tools

Naw generic tool will work it should have the metric adapter to fit the plug hole
thanks a million buddy....