Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Biggu's engine refresher build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 01:45 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this may be a retarded question, so forgive me in advance, but couldn't the return line return too much fuel into the swirl pot --like at idle and low load-- which would make the fuel pressure uncontrollable?

i would think a LOT of that fuel is being returned at low load, as those twin 044s surely push lots of fuel. so if those are pumping constantly back to the swirl pot, and the walbro is feeding the swirl pot... see what i mean?

maybe i'm missing something.
Old 04-10-12, 01:54 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
yep, the swirl pot is 2.34 gallons of fuel but the return from the fuel rail returns back into the swirl pot not the fuel tank so it stays full.
So you still are not using any more fuel than a single Walbro can feed. That is surprising. Maybe the Walbro keeps up because it is under lower head pressure?
Old 04-10-12, 01:58 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cartmill
this may be a retarded question, so forgive me in advance, but couldn't the return line return too much fuel into the swirl pot --like at idle and low load-- which would make the fuel pressure uncontrollable?

i would think a LOT of that fuel is being returned at low load, as those twin 044s surely push lots of fuel. so if those are pumping constantly back to the swirl pot, and the walbro is feeding the swirl pot... see what i mean?

maybe i'm missing something.
He has two -6 returns from pot to tank. I would guess these allow pressure to equalize. I am still baffled regarding a single Walbro feeding the whole system though LOL.
Old 04-10-12, 05:07 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One return from the rail to the pot
One return from the pot to the tank
so in case the pot gets filled the rest goes back to the tank.

The walbro can keep up since the return line from the rail is filling up the pot also.

See with the SCs you can sump the tank but it's pita , not enough room like the supra wher you have the tank outside the trunk and it's under the car.
Old 04-10-12, 06:19 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I know the rail is returning to the pot, but where did that fuel come from to begin with? The walbro Bottom line is that the Walbro feeds the pot. If the walbro cant fill the pot as fast as the engine burns fuel, what will the 044s pump?
Old 04-10-12, 06:23 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I have a feeling the car has not gone lean only because the pot is acting as a surge buffer. I bet at full tilt, the level in the pot is dropping as the walbro cant keep up. Then, during non-WOT driving the pot has time till fill back up.
Old 04-11-12, 05:42 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think your just thinking way to much into it, Look at many other fuel swirl pot setups and you will see that they are much smaller than these, mine is the XL American editions.

With as much fuel as the 044 is pushing to the rail i can tell you its not using it all up and providing a constant feed back into the swirl pot. the walbro is running full steam at all times. im not worried about the pot running low at all, the walbro will be able to keep up with the demand with out a doubt.

Most people dont even use a walbro in their setups. most people just use a very basic low pressure pump because the high pressure feeds return to the tank and its not going to use the full flow of the fuel.

Single walbros are normally good for up to 500hp or so, most people double the pumps to be on the safe end.

Ill let you guys know once its on the dyno and we can figure it out for sure but with the way this tank is sized im not worried about it. most swirl/surge tank pots are only half a gallon of fuel.
Old 04-11-12, 06:26 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I don't doubt it works. It's just surprising is all. I'm sure the twin pumps are helping by pulling through the Walbro as well, so it's not exactly like the Walbro is doing ALL the work.
Old 05-01-12, 08:28 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Intake is fixed so the tire no longer rubs the filter, trunk plate seam welded in place, battery tie down welded in place. exhaust is made, just tack welded in place we need to finish welding it all up and put the tip on the muffler and polish it. after that we will cut the rear quarters out weld them up and re do the catch can setup. Im going to remove the can completely and just do a scavenge setup on it and just be done with it.

Also just found out the car is running right now! apparently the timing was way out and we just needed to change it.

****ty sound clip on face book but yea
Facebook Post
Old 05-02-12, 04:49 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Nice! I never realized how that widebody kit has so much belly pan built into it. Interesting. The exhaust looks awesome!
Old 05-02-12, 08:20 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

that side gets welded tomorrow, and ill cut the other side and get it welded hopefully tomorrow.

Should get tuned friday IIRC.

BTW My exhaust is probably the best sounding exhaust Ive EVER herd. no joke.
Old 05-02-12, 10:06 PM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a burns stainless muffler?
Old 05-03-12, 05:12 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MIKU*SC3
Is that a burns stainless muffler?
damn right it is.
Old 05-09-12, 08:09 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

should be throwing her on the dyno today!
Old 05-09-12, 09:12 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait for the results make sure you make it a flix..lol

Quick Reply: Biggu's engine refresher build thread.