Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Grey to Black Conversion - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 07:47 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good! SEM paint is some good stuff. Looking forward to the completed project.
Old 05-24-10, 09:40 PM
GS300916
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup SEM is good stuff i also used bulldog adhension promoter it was 25.00 bucks for one bottle.

Ive been lazy this last week ... ill have some pics of the leather seat replacement covers i got from ebay in black so other owners can see the quality.

Ill also take some pics of the rear side, and front pillars in suede

If tomorrow is a nice day i might take the dash out but i been major lagging on it ...
Old 05-25-10, 08:03 PM
GS300916
Rookie

Here are some pictures of the seats from ebay in black.

Im using my cell phone as a camera so it doesnt look quite as black but rest assured its definately black...

It came with 4 headrest and 2 arm rest both front and back the rest of the covers.

I thought i was gonna get jacked out of the front armrest so im quite happy.

Shipping was super fast even though it was from china.

Grey to Black Conversion - Build Thread-upclose.jpg

Grey to Black Conversion - Build Thread-second.jpg

Im working out a deal to get these installed soon...
Old 05-25-10, 11:08 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your plans for the seatbelts ? and for the inside door handles since those get touched alot ? Even the great dyes that i've used, have shown wear in the short term. Not a huge deal. Just curious since im on the boarder line about keeping my 147 right now, and if I keep it this is a mod that ive been planning for almost 10 years.
Old 05-25-10, 11:30 PM
GS300916
Rookie

I didnt think of either one to tell you the truth the gray color sorta offsets the black but im sure it will bug me.

For the seat belts ill look into some 93-97 toyotas and lexus and see if those fit. I believe a avalon around 1995 should fit hopefully? if they have black interior...

If that doesnt work ill try to dye the seat belts like my carpet.... If that doesnt work ill paint the damn thing................

I found this interesting ...
http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=31382

There are better paints now for soft touch painting...

The inner door handle i havent given much thought but ill be having some interior pieces painted and prepped with ppg paint for a higher quality which will hopefully withstand the abuse.
Old 05-26-10, 07:38 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300916
...If that doesnt work ill try to dye the seat belts like my carpet.... If that doesnt work ill paint the damn thing................

I found this interesting ...
http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=31382

There are better paints now for soft touch painting...

The inner door handle i havent given much thought but ill be having some interior pieces painted and prepped with ppg paint for a higher quality which will hopefully withstand the abuse.

Thats pretty cool way to change the color of the seat belts. I very sure it would be frowned upon by the DOT and NHTSA due to degrading the material with the VOC's in the chemicals, but I think alot of us would do it anyway.

Im thought about using some interior door handles out of a 2gs. Ill have to look at my wifes tonight. I thought about redoing the door panels and reshaping them to give them a little more current look. Just not sure if I want to put all that effort forth for this car anymore
Old 05-26-10, 10:00 AM
GS300916
Rookie

Im not sure how difficult it is to remove the webing from the actual seat belt assembly due to the sensor... but this is interesting

http://gotbelts.com/index.html

On the actual handle part.... of the door and lock switch if its removable you can send it to get dipped in chrome which gives the interior a little bling bling look .... I was going to have my door handled dipped later too in chrome to copy the job design jzs147 look but im not a fan of how it looks... hasnst grown no me yet

As far as the inner door handle cover... ppg paint should last pretty long... bulldog plus paint might work well together...

As like many im super **** about detail so ... i will slowly have everything converted to match......... the only thing its a pain in the *** .... the two things really making things expensive is the exterior paint when the car needs to be repainted... and my headliner everything else seems affordable
Old 05-26-10, 10:05 AM
GS300916
Rookie

Here are my front , rear, and side pillars wrapped in suede.....

Grey to Black Conversion - Build Thread-1.jpg

Missing one piece

Grey to Black Conversion - Build Thread-2.jpg

Grey to Black Conversion - Build Thread-3.jpg

For you guys who have time to Do it Yourself i found this interesting.

Here is a closeup of the rear pillar the upholstery guy created a custom bracket support. Either he broke something or he wanted to add support....

He did tell me the rear was really weak so he added the metal brackets.

If someone could tell me what bulb i can buy to replace the rear pillar to LED that would be great........... since i plan on putting my interior back in place soon
Old 05-26-10, 10:15 AM
GS300916
Rookie

I been researching sound deadening and i really cant afford to shell out 450 bucks for some good secondskinaudio stuff to see the results. I wanted a combo of damplifier plus luxury liner pro.

I sent them a email requesting a discount and was planning to spend a couple hundred and showcasing their products but in order to really get the full effect it would cost around 600 bucks which is quite unaffordable for me.

I think its quite of a loss for them theres alot of 1gs and ls400 owners who would love to reduce ride noise but are hesistant to shell out the money unless there are real life examples....

I would gladly pay 400 if i knew 100% it would make my ride noise as quiet as a whistle...

If someone has some suggestions let me know....

For a cheaper alternative i might pick up a small kit just to do the sunroof since its as thin as a whistle and than add some of this below it.....

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/mercha...tegory_Code=CU
Old 05-26-10, 06:46 PM
Duds
Pole Position

I used two rolls of raamat to do my supra, plan on doing the same to the Lexus if I ever have time to pull the interior.
Old 05-26-10, 07:26 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea those rear pillars are weak. A piece that held the interior light housing broke off so I had to rig some dynamat in there for it to hold.
Old 05-27-10, 06:16 AM
BarberMike
Rookie

Man I would loooove to fix my rear pillars I'd like to know how to go about it, the area that hold the light is already in pieces and both my light are dangling, I boughtt he car like that the old owner put duct tape grrrrr!

I'd love to fix this
Old 05-27-10, 03:38 PM
GS300916
Rookie

Yeah the rear area peices tend to break over time... the heat makes them hard and it starts to crack easily. Luckily for me i covered it in suede so i dont have to worry about it.

I dropped my front and rear seats off tonight to get covered so ill have pics in a couple days. this guys been doing upholstery for more than 20 years so well see how he likes it.

Not a lakers fan at all but i hope they win tonight i got a couple bucks on the line which will go to my damplifier!!!! so wish me luck... Lakers > 8 FTW = Damplifier Pro + Luxury Liner
Old 05-27-10, 05:59 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the same seats from ebay and i wrapped them myself...wasnt hard at all, just took alot of time haha. and you gotta have hog ring pliers...i got a pair from the MAC man. and my work had really good hog rings cause we sometimes have to do seat covers lol. like on the new IS-C with the ugly blue seats that will fade into the white/tan middle section of the seat....
Old 05-27-10, 06:57 PM
GS300916
Rookie

Yeah ... thanks to your thread thats why i bought the seats...

Quick Reply: Grey to Black Conversion - Build Thread