Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

ProjectGS#2: NA-T Build in 24 hours.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 06:43 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool.

So the block is stock and tranny is stock too, right? How much hp you think she's putting to the wheels?

Looking forward to see the pics & vids.
Old 08-01-10, 08:12 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok Jeff, we are all waiting, throw us numbers ? im ready to drop off my GS, not far from ya buddy!
however in my case throw in the numbers w/tranny, ya with 210k miles i might need to beef up my tranny !
Old 08-01-10, 09:12 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd say its around 300rwhp, but I haven't been able to push it all the way. The reason I say it's around 300rwhp is because the stock injectors can handle around 260whp or so before maxing out. I'm already maxing out the injectors and leaning out up top so that leads me to believe I'm near 300. That was the goal for this project anyway, low boost around 7psi and run right at 300whp.

I'm getting a new set of injectors and going to give it another go once those are installed. For now, I can't floor it unless I want to risk damaging my engine. For now, I still drive it around town since it's still my daily and I try staying out of boost.
Old 08-01-10, 12:40 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

great work
Old 08-02-10, 02:17 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info. I thought stock injectors were able to handle 300rwhp...

If I go turbo, 300rwhp would be my goal.

Can the stock block cope with 7psi in the long run without any major problems?
Old 08-02-10, 08:20 AM
cloead
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any recommendations for controlling fuel on a budget?
Old 08-02-10, 08:22 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Stock injectors can handle 300rwhp if you run a high ratio rising rate fuel pressure regulator. However that will also require running a return line and fittings. Add all of that up and you're looking at almost $300 or so. The better way is to just get a larger set of 550cc injectors and leave the fuel lines stock. Going the route of bigger injectors opens you up to the opportunity to make more power in the future.
Old 08-02-10, 09:34 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

in for pics and vid
Old 08-13-10, 12:41 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry was busy for the past week or so. Didn't have much time to update the post. Right now, I'm running the turbo setup with no CEL! Going to go in for state inspection/emissions testing sometime next week. I think I'll pass

Here's just some pictures of the downpipe and midpipe I fabricated.

Built the front half and used the OEM rear half of the midpipe. I wanted to retain use of the factory 3rd cat. This keeps the exhaust smells at a minimum when sitting and idling in traffic. There was a ton of rust on the factory midpipe and I had to grind it all off lol.

Shot of the midpipe on the car.

Where the midpipe connects to the downpipe. You can also see the wastegate and dump tube in this picture.

View from top down of the downpipe from where it exits the turbo.
Old 08-13-10, 01:22 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Nice work on the midpipe. Looks very clean.

However, I am 100% I do not have that 3rd cat under my GS3. I have seen it on a German GS3, but mine does not have it. Instead of the cat mine has a resonator.

Is there a difference between the 98-00 models and the 01-05 models? I know the header isn't exactly the same design. Which would be better to have on the car?
Old 08-13-10, 02:30 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is a difference

01-05 GS models :

Source : http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop

Denis.
Old 08-13-10, 12:15 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice work Jeff
Old 08-13-10, 12:43 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Stock injectors can handle 300rwhp if you run a high ratio rising rate fuel pressure regulator. However that will also require running a return line and fittings. Add all of that up and you're looking at almost $300 or so. The better way is to just get a larger set of 550cc injectors and leave the fuel lines stock. Going the route of bigger injectors opens you up to the opportunity to make more power in the future.
I'm nowhere near your knowledge, but I have to fundamentally disagree. Running fuel lines with a rising rate fuel regulator is the foundation will allow you to add injectors, fuel management, etc., later and while you’re currently around 300hp. The 550cc injectors alone with cause you to run rich.

Aren't you putting the cart in front of the horse?

BTW - nice work
Old 08-13-10, 02:29 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Is it cool if I post the picture I took, Jeff?
Old 08-13-10, 03:11 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I'm nowhere near your knowledge, but I have to fundamentally disagree. Running fuel lines with a rising rate fuel regulator is the foundation will allow you to add injectors, fuel management, etc., later and while you’re currently around 300hp. The 550cc injectors alone with cause you to run rich.

Aren't you putting the cart in front of the horse?

BTW - nice work
The reason for the rising rate FPR is to allow the fuel rail pressure to compensate for the intake manifold pressure. Think of it this way, stock fuel pressure is 43psi. When you hit 8psi of boost, the pressure inside the intake manifold will push back against the injectors. So the manifold pressure and fuel rail will fight each other. So the 8psi boost in the intake manifold will push back on the fuel rail and that ends up giving you an effective 35psi of fuel pressure. Fuel injectors are rated usually at a base rail pressure of 43psi.

So if you have a set of 550cc injectors and run them at 35psi rail pressure, then you end up with a set of 450cc injectors. Basically I'm putting in larger injectors to compensate for the drop of fuel pressure. Of course this only works up to a certain point, if your rail pressure drops too low then the fuel will not atomize properly and the car will run like crap. People put a rising rate FPR to combat this pressure drop. So, to keep 550cc injectors flowing at 550cc then you will need to have a rail pressure of 51psi when running 8psi boost in the intake manifold. That's what a 1:1 ratio FPR does. For every 1psi rise in the intake manifold pressure, it will increase rail pressure by the same amount

So, for low power just keep the stock rail and get some bigger injectors if you have issues of leaning out up in the top of the rpm range. Also, I'm not just throwing in bigger injectors and calling it a day. I have to retune the ecu to run them properly.

Here's a video of me doing some testing and pulls at 5psi of boost. I'm going to raise it to 8psi next week when I get my new wastegate in.

EDIT: I just wanted to say....THERE'S NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrqOnIp4aIQ

Last edited by JeffTsai; 08-13-10 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: ProjectGS#2: NA-T Build in 24 hours.