Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 04:13 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan....it is awesome to see you going for finishing touches like paint and gauges. Does this mean your motor is fully assembled and waiting for the engine bay to be painted to be dropped in? Also, what standalone are you going with?
Old 09-12-07, 06:09 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Ryan....it is awesome to see you going for finishing touches like paint and gauges. Does this mean your motor is fully assembled and waiting for the engine bay to be painted to be dropped in? Also, what standalone are you going with?
Thanks, Blizzy...I have been watching your awesome write up as well. My motor is in the fnal stages of asssembly...I am awaiting a new water pump, that is all.

After much research, I am going with the Autronic SM4. I have been in touch with several Autronic dealers and users, including the founder of Autronic, Ray Hall. They have all been extremely helpful in providing me with the knowledge I needed to make an informed decision. The SM4 is the closes thing to a MOTEC that is on the market, and it does things the MOTEC does not do, at a much better price, I might add...The SM4 is also extremely well made, and is known for its reliability. It has a litany of features that really set it apart from the crowd, IMHO.

I have also been speaking with Dr. Tweak, of Phoenix Tuning...An awesome master at wiring up virtually any ECU and harness anyone could want. He especially has lots of experience with wiring up different Toyota wiring harnesses. Dr. Tweak is making a Plug-N-Play, military spec wiring harness for the SM4...he is also adding the extra plug for the Auto Transmission ECU I am adding...Kudos to Dr. Tweak...Just send him your harness, he will either direct wire it and send it back to you within a few weeks, or he can make a plug-n-play harness for you. His prices are also very reasonable...

The Auto Transmission ECU I am using is from Powertrain Control Solutions, the TCM-2000, is a universal, fully mappable and tuneable ECU that controls all aspects of the electronic shifting of the A340 that I sent off to be built by BoostLogic. It not only allows me to adjust and set the individual shift points (PCS will provide the base Maps for this), but it allows me to set the force of the shift in accordance with the amount of engine load and boost I am at on any particular moment. This means no harsh shifts when driving easy in the city and loping around, but instant shifts on the fly when I stomp on it... This unit also allows paddle type shifting if I decide to add that feature to my set-up...I am seriously considering this too...

Special work is being done by Driven Concepts out of Tampa...Ian (DC Mango on CL), is a master craftsman at customizing cars. If any of you SC guys lurk on the GS forums on CL, you can find his GS Thread detailing his gorgeous, Two-Tone, TT GS300 Project Car. These guys know how to customize a car...

These are the kinds of things I am doing to make this my Ultimate driving machine...Can't hardly wait to drive it...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 09-23-07 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-12-07, 06:24 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where and how are you mouting your gauges? I have the defi control unit but never got around to buying any boost gauges. Where did you get yours? Are you having a pod made or what?

Jonny
Old 09-12-07, 07:59 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
Where and how are you mouting your gauges? I have the defi control unit but never got around to buying any boost gauges. Where did you get yours? Are you having a pod made or what?

Jonny
Johnny, I am indeed having a Pod made for the gauges...If you refer back in my thread, you will see that I already had a custom Plate/Pod made for 3 52mm gauges to be fit into the center console...

Current Gauges(AutoMeters will be coming out)

I do not intend to change that, I like the plate quite a bit, and it really looks OEM, which is an important thing to me...I am probably going to change the arrangement of the pods and place 3 Defi gauges in the center console, and place the AEM and 1 Defi gauge in that separate POD. The location of that Pod is hush, hush for now, but when it is done, I think you will like it. Keep in mind that I like everything to look as close to OEM as possible, especially in the interior, so, it should look quite good.

keep watching, you will see it...

Ryan
Old 09-12-07, 08:10 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Johnny, I am indeed having a Pod made for the gauges...If you refer back in my thread, you will see that I already had a custom Plate/Pod made for 3 52mm gauges to be fit into the center console...

Current Gauges(AutoMeters will be coming out)

I do not intend to change that, I like the plate quite a bit, and it really looks OEM, which is an important thing to me...I am probably going to change the arrangement of the pods and place 3 Defi gauges in the center console, and place the AEM and 1 Defi gauge in that separate POD. The location of that Pod is hush, hush for now, but when it is done, I think you will like it. Keep in mind that I like everything to look as close to OEM as possible, especially in the interior, so, it should look quite good.

keep watching, you will see it...

Ryan
Sounds awesome man. Now just tell the people who are designing the pod to make a 2nd one

Jonny
Old 09-12-07, 04:26 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan, take a look at this!

http://www.stackltd.com/st8130.html

Baller status!
Old 09-13-07, 04:51 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DCMango
Ryan, take a look at this!

http://www.stackltd.com/st8130.html

Baller status!
Ian, nice stuff!! I believe a member has this installed in his dash, I believe it is Gadget...I like it, but it is not for me...I prefer the stock cluster...I like the Defi look better as well... Thanks for the suggestion....

As anyone reading this thread knows, I have driven this car very little during the last 3 years due to the inordinate time it has taken to get to this point... I got up extra early this morning, and decided to take the Defi EGT gauge and mock place it in different areas of my car to get an idea of where I want the additional gauges placed. I made up my mind, Ian, and I will tell you when we deliver you my car.

While I was sitting in my car, it felt absolutely awesome...I mean just to sit in it gave me a great thrill...The smell of the new leather, the look of the pristine interior, the feel of the high quality interior, the solid thud from shutting the door...Man, I love this car!!! Toyota/Lexus built a winner when they designed and made this model...I can hardly wait to get it on the road...The time is coming...Soon...

Ryan
Old 09-13-07, 05:00 AM
paulwd
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing finished pictures Ryan.

Truly awesome what you are doing.
Old 09-13-07, 05:07 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by paulwd
Looking forward to seeing finished pictures Ryan.

Truly awesome what you are doing.
Thanks, Paul...I appreciate all the wonderful coments and the cheers from you and the community...Man, people are watching this project from all over the world!!! Truly amazing!!!

Yeah, it is an awesome project...I hope the V8 SC/Soarer GS and LS community can really benefit from my hard work...They will be able to do this in much less the time...And less money...

Ryan
Old 10-11-07, 10:26 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Gang: I received the Transmission ECU... Powertrain Control Solutions builds the best Automatic Transmission ECU on the market!! I am excited to add this to my project car. I am now even more convinced that this is the way to go instead of a 6 speed swap...A BL built A340 transmission and a PCS controller...

Enjoy the pics, much more to come. Car is in the paint shop right now...

Controller

Controller and manual

For size comparison
Old 10-16-07, 08:55 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested to see what the transmission controller can do.
Old 10-29-07, 08:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Gang, the Autronic SM4 is arriving at the dealer tomorrow, and will be shipping out to me, right away. They will ship the harness to Dr. Tweak of Phoenix Tuning, and he will work his magic on the Plug-N-Play harness for both the PCS and the SM4. I had Dave Frost of East Orange Customs weld an enclosure of matching sheet metal in the baffle area where the air box was. I did not like the way it was cut out to fit the 3" IC return to the Intake...The hole was gaping, and it would allow large amounts of water, sand, dirt, bugs, etc to pour into my engine bay. So, David welded it shut, and welded a 3" tube into the baffle repair, and now the structural integrity is as good as new in that area, and the steel pipe he welded will be primered with a special priner, and then painted with the same PPG paint. I will post pics up when completed. I know it seems like a little thing, but I am a detail oriented man, and I like doing the "little" things right just as much as the big things...
The engine bay should be painted this week, then I can install my engine and tranny back into place. I am looking forward to it. Then, my car ships to Driven Concepts in Tampa...I can't wait to see their completed work.
Ryan
Old 10-29-07, 08:33 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Richie
Very interested to see what the transmission controller can do.
So am I...I have read up a lot on it, and it is amazing. I will post up it's capabilities in a near future reply...When I have a few more minutes to type it up. I t mainly gives much greater control of shift points, power at each point, flexibility to base it upon load, boost, etc, in each gear...E-Shift...that will make driving the auto much more like a manual...

I am looking forward to it, Richie...

Ryan
Old 10-29-07, 09:07 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Looking mighty good bro.... i am so jealous.....
Old 10-30-07, 04:53 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

this thing is looking good bro...very nice!!! cant wait til its finished....

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II