Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 10:19 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Ryan are you planning on using the the stock ignition system?

Ever consider going to coil on plug or coil packs and lose the distributors?
Old 02-08-09, 07:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Ryan are you planning on using the the stock ignition system?

Ever consider going to coil on plug or coil packs and lose the distributors?
For now, the stock ignition system. I will be adding the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Spark. If this is still not enough, then I will go through the added complication and major expense of adding CDI.

Ryan
Old 02-08-09, 08:41 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Well gang, my car is definitely coming together...
The rear Wilwood BBKs are almost installed.
The Custom wiring harness from Phoenix Tuning that we had to cut to getthrough the firewall has been reconnected by Motorheaddown.
The Custom molded 2000 Front Bumper has been painted.
The Custom Hood Vents have been filled and painted.
Much more to get done this week...They still need to be wet sanded and buffed...

Here are a few pics of the Bumper and the Hood...

More coming...
Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 02-08-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 08:56 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Pics of the underside of the hood...When the slots were cut out of the hood, the the reinforcement frame was cut in some areas as well. It caused the frame to separate from the hood in a few areas, as well as left gaping holes in the frame. They had to be filled and re-attached to the hood, as well as have the appearance of an OEM look (my ****-retentiveness...:sadance: ). It was important for these holes to sanded and filled properly. The painter, Jack Gonzalez, went well beyond my expectations...Great job Jack!!
Here are some pics of the hood (just the underside):

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-08-09, 08:59 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Here are a few more:

Last ones...I cannot wait to complete this project...Sorry for the poor camera pics...My cell phone took the pics...
Ryan
Old 02-08-09, 09:18 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL i love the polished trans cradle bar haha
Old 02-08-09, 09:31 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twizted
LOL i love the polished trans cradle bar haha
Yep...So do I... As far as I am concerned, its all in the details...

Ryan
Old 02-14-09, 03:03 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I want to post up a progress report on how my car is doing. As I have stated recently, when building a car at the level I am with SC400TT, it is really a massive undertaking...I underestimated several things when I started the planning of this project. The number one item was time. Now that I really do not have any more "shops" to deal with except for the fabrication of my hard water pipes for the radiator, I have had time to work on the car myself, and with my partner, Charles Stuart, aka, Chaz. Without his dedication, I would be significantly farther behind, and this project may have only been a dream. I cannot thank Chaz enough for all he has sacrificed and done. He has literally built a major part of my car. My hat is off to you, my close friend. I also want to thank Scott Davidson, aka, motorheaddown, who has assisted me dearly in some of the wiring and electronics of this project.... I also want to thank Scott, aka, Ki soarer who has spent countless hours on helping in pulling out and installing the different versions of my interior.... I also want to thank Dave Penton, aka 2jznat, for all the humor in my looooong build thread and for the towing of my car to Orlando from Tampa. I also want to thank Justin Baloh, who is currently building my headlights. I mentioned several posts back that I have "very special" headlights being built for this project...They are...I have seen the pics, and they are not yhet done, but will be soon. They are so special that I will not post a pic up of them until the whole car is complete. I will post a few teaser shots though...If you want a hint of how they are turning out, keep thinking Audi...and OEM...There is no other SC light like them.... Thanks also to the venerable Zach Culver, aka, UZZ TT, who provided the Super made clear lenses that I so needed to create these lights.... Major thanks goes to Shane Ligon, who builds these kinds of project cars from scratch (Even V8 MR2's), he has been a great technical help, and has also machined several custom parts for this project. A special thanks to David Phan, aka, LEXTREME, who is the impetus for my whole project...David's website is the first I found about 6 years ago when I was searching for more ways to add power to this beautiful SC. If David had not been there (His website, parts, tech articles, own experiences, and his friendship) I may not have ever taken this direction to build such a project. Thanks, David. You are the Man and the Myth.... Lastly, but not least, thanks to Scott Marshall, aka, ScottURnot, who provided several key components (Some of which were custom) for this project at very special rates, and the hours of phone calls discussing build theories and practicalities of this project and his beast of a project. There is a great bond of friendship and comraderie that develops when a project like this is undertaken...I thank each of you...

OK, so here is the progress, and I will post up some pics in some future posts.
  • The Turbo oil feed has been completed
  • The Turbo Oil return has been completed
  • The External Oil Cooler has been installed
  • The External Transmisssion Cooler has been installed
  • The high Pressure Oil Sandwich Plate configuration has been designed, built and installed (Whew, what a pain)
  • The Fuel Return Line has been completed
There is still much to do...I will keep you updated...

I want to thank a few more people here..
  • Deron Golding, aka, nextlevelcoupe, you have become a good friend. I appreciate your attention to detail and look forward to seeing your latest version of your car complete. A good friend, too.
  • Jose, aka, CleanSC, whose WHite turbo SC is one of the cleanest I have ever seen, what an inspiration you have been. A good friend too.
  • Gazi, aka, Aliga. You have provided me with dozens of critical parts for this project, as well as the best deal on a black interior that anyone has ever gotten...What a great resource you are to the Lexus community!!
  • Eric, aka, Cowboy. Thanks for your commitment to building quality custom parts for the SC. You have certainly made our projects easier and more custom with your hard work...
ANybody else I am missing, please forgive me, and please speak up. I certainly want to thank you and list your name publicly, because this project, which is near completion, is a compilation of work and ideas from several people...I love the Lexus community!!! My Hat's off to you all!!

Ryan
Old 02-14-09, 07:14 AM
kirkMKIV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see its finally coming together man.
Old 02-14-09, 10:33 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Removed the turbos, the manifolds and the downpipes so they can be ceramic coated. What a PITA!! Had to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine to remove them. They go on Monday.
Here are some pics of the recent work.
This is the reconnected Autronic harness:

Here are the two external coolers connected:

The oil cooler:

The tranny cooler:

Oil cooler feed and return lines:

More coming...
Old 02-14-09, 10:47 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Top view of the oil cooler:

Top view of the tranny cooler:

Oil cooer feed and return line on the sandwich plate:

The whole high pressure set up showing the sandwich plate, the oil cooler feed and return connections and SS Braided hose:

The transmission cooler feed and return lines:

More...
Old 02-14-09, 11:12 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Oil return lines from the turbos:

Another pic of the oil return:

Return coming out of the turbo, nice straight flow:

Fuel return Line:

Ryan
Old 02-15-09, 09:44 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Ryan, its looking good! BTW thanks for thye mention of me in you recodnition of people! I have really done nothing but BS cars via phone. LOL

Anyway, keep wrenching, you are getting close.
Old 02-15-09, 10:02 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. Do you have the oil feed to the turbos split from one line coming out of the sandwich plate, to a 'Y' fitting- with one line going to each turbo? I think that's what I see. They are directional like the oil cooler I suppose? (Btw are you going to wrap that oil return line thats next to the belt, or you think it's good as is?)

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 02-15-09 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-15-09, 02:52 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Very nice. Do you have the oil feed to the turbos split from one line coming out of the sandwich plate, to a 'Y' fitting- with one line going to each turbo? I think that's what I see. They are directional like the oil cooler I suppose? (Btw are you going to wrap that oil return line thats next to the belt, or you think it's good as is?)
Thanks Scott!! You have been great help!!

Zach, correct. I am coming out of the sandwich plate with a 1/4 NPT (that is what the sandwich plate offers), and that goes to a -6 feed, to a -4 reducer, to a -4 Y-Block which splits off the oil feed to (2) -4 feeds, (1) to each turbo. I will monitor that and the pressure to make sure there is not too much oil feeding into the turbos. Should be fine as is...The Sandwich plate has a right and a left, so pay attention to that when you set up your feeds and returns. Just look at my pics and you should be able to figure it lut. If you notice the one fitting that was not connected to anything on the plate, I am using that 1/4 NPT to connect to the DEFI oil pressure gauge.

Why would I wrap the oil return lines next to the belt? Those lines will not be very hot, they do not touch the belt, so I am not sure of your question...

Ryan

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II