Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 08:54 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your twin Zirgo fans are covered by 1 main shroud that covers the entire radiator, then it's ok. Otherwise, you might get overheating issue because 2 individual fans won't cover the entire area. I'm running 2 individual 14" fans as pullers and I'm still getting overheated in 80 degree weather after 45 mins in stop-n-go traffic. I then installed a 3rd 14" fan as the pusher in the front of the A/C condenser and it helped quite a bit. Both of my 14" fans only cover 80% of the radiator surface.
Old 04-22-09, 09:28 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought about that as well. That is why I went with the Zirgos in the shroud. They cover the full length and height of the radiator, and pretty much create an airtight seal between the radiator and the shroud, effectively pulling air at 3500 CFM through the whole area of the radiator. If it is not enough, I will need a pusher as well. How are you compensatriong for the extra amperage you must be drawing? A higher capacity alternator? I have coinsidered this. Mine is a newly remanufactured one from Lexus, since they do not sell brand new ones anymore, but remanned ones through Toyota/Lexus.

Ryan
Old 04-23-09, 05:22 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the high capacity alternator from David (Lextreme) that's 145 amp. It has the same housing as the OEM. I believe the OEM is only 115 amp. I also use the blue Optima battery.
Old 04-24-09, 01:38 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbos look great, what filters did you finally decide on?
Old 04-24-09, 06:51 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Car and turbos/manifold look freakin' sick man. Props.
Old 04-25-09, 07:46 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Turbos look great, what filters did you finally decide on?
Thanks Zach. HKS Shorts.

Originally Posted by slappy96
Car and turbos/manifold look freakin' sick man. Props.
Thanks, it has been a lot of work to get here.

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I use the high capacity alternator from David (Lextreme) that's 145 amp. It has the same housing as the OEM. I believe the OEM is only 115 amp. I also use the blue Optima battery.
I do not recall now....I think stock is 120 amps, but I could be wrong. I use the yellow top.

Ryan
Old 04-29-09, 08:48 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock alt on a 92 SC400 is 100 amps. have it on my window sticker
Old 04-29-09, 09:26 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

You are both right....weird.

I don't know what the discriminant is. 120A is cheaper. Go figure.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/...185667.jpg?v=0
Old 04-30-09, 06:56 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

My car is not a 92 either. I am quite sure it is 120 amps.

Ryan
Old 05-02-09, 08:04 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Got some time to work on the car last yesterday. Got several things done:
  • Connected all the Catchcan lines and secured the catchcan
  • Relocated the Water/Meth pump from the drives side to the passenger's side
  • got the new SS braided hose made up from Amazon to connect the high pressure side of the power steering
  • Installed the new thermostat and water neck
  • made up the new SS braided lines for the transmission snd connected it up to the external cooler
  • Mounted the twin Zirgo fans
  • Mounted the radiator
  • Started working with the water tubing for the radiator, that will need some fabrication....
Much more to do this weekend....Almost there, but damn sometimes it seems to take forever....

Here are a few pics of some of the work and the Carbing radiator cooling plate that I bought and had polished.

Carbing Plate:

Greddy Catchcan mounted:

Twin Zirgo's mounted:

Tranny lines made and connected:

Relocated Water/Meth Pump:

Ryan
Old 05-02-09, 05:14 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i totally remember when this thread strated when i had my old '92 SC. i went through just about all the pages and im super impressed..

i say the only thing that will do it justice on clublexus is if u do professional pics as the unveiling muhaha..

looking forward to seeing how this is gonna turn out..
Old 05-02-09, 10:58 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

The modified dash is completed and I picked it up today, along with the Driver's side airbag, passenger side airbag and ashtray. I'll post up some pics tomorrow. Gotta get some shut eye....

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-10-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 09:38 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Well, the car is really at the point where it is near completed, but little things that don't quite fit right, or little, but critical changes need to be made, mainly with fitment, or size of tubes or fittings, or clamps, etc, require me to trial and error, and order, or search high and low for the right fitment or custom part. This is time consuming, but it is worth it to get it right.

Also, if you all have noticed, my garage has been a wreck. My wife did not want to pay for the storage unit anymore, several months ago, so we had to move it all home. The garage was not prepared for all that stuff, so we piled it in there, and over the next few months, it got dismally unorganized, as well as became rather maddening having to make room to work on the car each time....Moving things out, then moving them in....What a true pain in the a$$ that was. The ritual got old....So, I have spent the last 2.5 days working on the garage and shelving, and re-rganizing with my wife's tremendous help, and although not yet done, a massive improvement. The trash man will probably curse me out a few times tomorrow.

Any way, I was quite disappointed that I did not get time to turn any wrenches this weekend. So, tonight, after we finished up the garage, I had to test fit the second of the Cool-Flex tubes I had bought for the radiator tubing. If you recall, I had mentioned in a recent, previous post that I was still going to have to fabricate (Pay a welder) to cut up and weld on some special tubing for me to fit my radiator tubes. This was indeed a disappointing thought, not to mention even more time and hassle to find the right welder, plus the extra expense....So I worked on the long tube tonight, and trial and errored the best route to run the tube, and it worked out absolutely perfect!! The long tube (the one that routes from the bottom of the radiator to the water neck/thermostat housing), clears and fits beautifully!!

As with anything we do in life, along with practice comes experience, then comes practical knowledge, then added success....So, I decided to give it a go with the upper tube again. This is the one that I was sure I had to fabricate and weld up a special pipe for du to the tight corners. Well, I had previously connected both ends onto the Cool-Flex Tubes, and left it that way in despair froma few nights ago.

So, I decided to just start turing and re-positioning that tube to see if I could get a better fitment, and much to my delight, I realized that all I had to do was adjust a bend from one direction to another by facing the curve straight up, instead of to the side. This took the tube off the turbo, still allowed plenty of clearance for the hood, and took off the pressure to try to make an almost impossible and extremely short radius 90 degree bend plus it cleared the other tube. Hallelujah!! Success!! It clears, and looks beautiful. The only issue I have is that the upper feed tube is slightly short, so I will replace it with a longer one, and voila!! I will be done with ALL tubing, hoses, and pipes.

A major milestone with this project.

I love all the extra room in the garage now....

Here are a few pics of the Cool-Flex radiator tubes....Well worth the money, and absolutely gorgeous, IMHO.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-10-09 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 01:17 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

love this build up...thanks for posting it.
Old 06-13-09, 09:01 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Any Updates on this build?

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II