Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 02:40 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it started? Hope you have some running videos today!
Old 09-14-09, 10:26 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey gang, I thought I would update you on my progress. As mentioned previously, I spent the weekend completing the installation of the Big Brakes, and then prepping the car for start up. We filled the car with fluids, and rechecked everything one more time.

Then we disconnected the coils and cranked the engine to build oil pressure and be sure that the break in oil was well spread throughout the engine. Then we connected the coils and attempted start up.

The car would not start. We checked over everything and found a few issues that I will be addressing over the next few days, and then I should be good.
  • The injector feeding the number 2 cylinder got very hot during start up, so we disconnected it and tested the lead with a Noid tester, it showed constant light, so that indicates a problem either in the wiring or in the injector programming. I tested the lead and got a constant twelve volts which should not happen.
  • I also checked the injector, and it ohmed out fine, 2.2 ohms constant. I ordered another injector to replace it just as I am uncomfortable with it since it overheated so much.
  • I need to check and verify the Cam sensor set up in the SM4.
So, hopefully everything will be completed out and we can reattempt start-up on the car this weekend.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 09-15-09, 06:00 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan,

Bummer........

You sure you have spark? Seems like with one injector acting up, for whatever reason, it should still start. Would run like crap and probably smoke a bit but I would think it would still run.

Depending on how long you were trying to get it to start, you might want to consider changing the oil sooner than you originally planned. Could have quite a bit of fuel in it now. You should probably also pull the plugs and make sure they aren't soaked with gas, at least the one plug with the over zelous injector.

KC
Old 09-15-09, 07:04 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

KC, thanks for asking. Yes, I did have spark. Checked that. I really believe the base map had a few configuration errors, and that was probably the issue. I have Autronic looking at my Map, and they will be able to tell me pretty quickly if so.

Scott (motorheaddown) is coming over tonight to assist me in running down that injector lead and determining if there is a wiring issue.

I will pull that plug tonight, just haven't had time.

Ryan

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Ryan,

Bummer........

You sure you have spark? Seems like with one injector acting up, for whatever reason, it should still start. Would run like crap and probably smoke a bit but I would think it would still run.

Depending on how long you were trying to get it to start, you might want to consider changing the oil sooner than you originally planned. Could have quite a bit of fuel in it now. You should probably also pull the plugs and make sure they aren't soaked with gas, at least the one plug with the over zelous injector.

KC
Old 09-16-09, 03:22 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Update on the NON-START

Well, after a few hours of trouble shooting the harness, as well as over an hour on the phone with Autronic (Most excellent customer support from Autronic), Scott and I determined that the batch-fire wiring for injector #2 was inadvertantly tied to ground instead of the ECU, and the +12v switched source that powers all the injectors was tied into injector #2 on the SM4. This resulted in frying injector #2 because there was a short circuit to ground due (through the injector) when power was applied with the key "on".

Luckily, the motor was not hydrolocked, and there was not any conrod damage. The injector most definitely needs to be replaced, as the plastic casing is partially melted, with clear burn marks on it. Plus, I found fuel in the connector receptacle when I unplugged the clip from the injector, and the only way that could have gotten there was for the injector to crack internally and fuel to be forced up into that area. I have ordered another one.

This was a most unfortunate event. We are now going to go through the entire loom to make sure everything is correct. To note, the wiring was thoroughly checked after getting the loom back, but only at the ECU. Should have checked each injector lead as well.

The good news is that this does not appear to be a huge set back, and it should be corrected this week. Perhaps she can start up this weekend.....

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 09-16-09 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 08:03 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I'd like to edit my post a little bit. That's understandable for a little mistake, but it's not acceptable for the mistake when it can cause something to burn or damage the engine because that's serious.

Last edited by stevechumo; 09-16-09 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 05:02 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on finding the problem so quickly.........

and

GL on getting it started once it's re-sorted out.

KC
Old 09-19-09, 12:54 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Checked all the wiring, corrected the hard ground on the number 2 injector lead, and installed the new injector along with the fuel rail. Scott D and I spent all day on the car. Learned a few interesting points, and all I have to do is reconnect the front fuel line to the rail, tighten up both fuel lines on that side, reinstall the Throttle Body, and charge tube, and I should be ready to attempt start up once again. Wish me luck....

Ryan
Old 09-20-09, 05:43 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck man!!
Old 09-21-09, 12:44 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
.... Wish me luck....

Ryan
All lucks to you, Ryan! Lucks come to those who are dedicated.
Old 09-21-09, 09:22 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Richie
Good luck man!!
Thanks Richie!!

Originally Posted by stevechumo
All lucks to you, Ryan! Lucks come to those who are dedicated.
I agree, Steve, but I prefer to prepare carefully, and depend upon luck to cover the rest.....

I did attempt re-start on Sunday, still not start, but no fried injectors..... Fixed that problem.

It appears that the TPS senor is possibly reversed. Seems that in earlier vs newer models of the 1UZ, the TPS wiring can be reversed, so I have a voltage error the SM4 was providing, and I have to be sure that G1 and G2 are not reversed as well, regarding the cam sensors. It should start once I have ironed that out.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 09-21-09, 12:51 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Gauge Pod Update

I stopped by the interior shop and got to see the revised Gauge Pod Faceplate. I wanted a richer more OEM matching look, so I had it made out of real Burl wood to match the stock Burl interior, since I decided to stay with that for my black interior. Also, I got rid of the screw holes. These are just cell phone pics, but as you can see, it is turning out real nice. It just needs to be wet sanded and polished. It is a spot on match!!

Close up:

Whole plate:
Old 09-24-09, 08:12 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This thing on the road yet?
Old 10-08-09, 11:03 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Milestone Update

Gang, the beast started tonight!! It sounded good too!! I still have to work out the stepper motor settings so I can get it to idle on it's own, but it is awesome. I made a video, and I called Shane so he can testify that he heard it.

If anybody knows how to save the mini cam disc to a file in their computer, please tell me how so I can post this up on Photobucket or YouTube. I can play the disc on my computer but I could not figure how to save it to file.

We're almost on the road!!

Ryan.
Old 10-09-09, 12:05 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I'm happy for you, Ryan. It's worth the wait.

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II