SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 05:57 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
...and a bit anally retentive...
Hehe... Ryan?... I've known you long enough to simply requote what you stated above for the record!

If I take exception to anything it's "a bit". :-P

Seriously, though; good work man! You're almost there!

-scott
Old 11-02-11, 10:27 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Hehe... Ryan?... I've known you long enough to simply requote what you stated above for the record!

If I take exception to anything it's "a bit". :-P

Seriously, though; good work man! You're almost there!

-scott
Scott, you are correct there...A bit is probably quite an understatement...

Originally Posted by copermn
where those pictures at? haha
Coming, I promise...

Originally Posted by Vadim
Good - Ryan.
This is a very efficient electric dryers.
Yes they are...They have worked like a champ since I have installed them along with the Shroud. No overheating issues at all...In fact, I have not seen it above 40% on the OEM temp gauge since I have installed them...No matter what the conditions were. So far, so good....Great not to be overheating...But, I keep m y eye on the temp gauge regularly...

Originally Posted by DoomLight
hmmm nice. i was told that in a 1jzgte instance that i'd need around 3600 cfm to keep temps nominal.

i suppose i could get a way with 2 SPAL 14inch fans. if they can pull a "1270cfm" each.

collecting info exellcent *rubs grubby fingers together*
So far, perfect! I will let you know what happens at the dyno, and once I start using the AC in the heat of the day in stop and go traffic....

Ryan
Old 11-02-11, 10:33 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Success!! No More Overheating!!

As the caption headlines, it appears that I have resolved the overheating issue. Combining the (2) SPAL 14" fans along with the Custom Shroud from TCP Performance is a winning combination!

They have worked like a champ since I have installed the Combo. No overheating issues at all...As mentioned earlier, I have not seen it above 40% on the OEM temp gauge. Not even once...No matter what the conditions were. So far, so good....Great not to be overheating...But, I keep my eye on the temp gauge regularly, to be safe...

I have been working on the transmission set up and software with the TCU. It is now all set up and with the correct parameters for e-shift and normal auto shifting. It still needs tuning now. But the car is coming together. As soon as Darin tunes the transmission, then he can tune it on the dyno. Almost there.....Finally....After 6 looooooooong years!!!!!

SC400TT
Old 11-03-11, 09:12 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this news! Its gonna be incredible once completely finished 110%
Old 11-06-11, 05:40 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Showing its potential... :-)

I was in Ryan's neighborhood yesterday and stopped by to catch up and see the status of his build. His attention to detail combined with a lot of patience is beginning to pay off.

Overall, the stance of the car looks great! The exterior is almost completely assembled and only lacks some running lights, hood vents, and badging on the front bumper. Additionally, seeing the car off the jack stands with weight on wheels and lowered makes it very menacing - especially with the custom headlights installed.

He popped the hood and pointed out updates since I was last there. The headers were tightly wrapped, and the new fan shroud was installed. Additionally, he was able to adapt the OEM under-bumper vent to work with the intercooler to ensure air was getting to the radiator. All the hard work is paying off. We went for a spin, and the car never got close to getting hot.

Needless to say, the potential of the car is beginning to show; additionally, the displacement of the 1uz-fe is evident when he gets on the throttle. The torque is immediate, and the turbos are quick to spool. The combination of the two really puts you back in the seat. In comparison, it doesn't have the lag of my 74mm, 2jz-powered sc300. Admittedly, there is still a LOT to tune, but once he gets the transmission tuned and the engined dialed in, it'll be a very sweet ride and a pleasure to drive.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next visit!

-scott
Old 11-06-11, 08:09 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Thanks Scott. It was definitely a fun ride...I do appreciate the kudos. It's really beginning to become enjoyable again...

Ryan

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
I was in Ryan's neighborhood yesterday and stopped by to catch up and see the status of his build. His attention to detail combined with a lot of patience is beginning to pay off.

Overall, the stance of the car looks great! The exterior is almost completely assembled and only lacks some running lights, hood vents, and badging on the front bumper. Additionally, seeing the car off the jack stands with weight on wheels and lowered makes it very menacing - especially with the custom headlights installed.

He popped the hood and pointed out updates since I was last there. The headers were tightly wrapped, and the new fan shroud was installed. Additionally, he was able to adapt the OEM under-bumper vent to work with the intercooler to ensure air was getting to the radiator. All the hard work is paying off. We went for a spin, and the car never got close to getting hot.

Needless to say, the potential of the car is beginning to show; additionally, the displacement of the 1uz-fe is evident when he gets on the throttle. The torque is immediate, and the turbos are quick to spool. The combination of the two really puts you back in the seat. In comparison, it doesn't have the lag of my 74mm, 2jz-powered sc300. Admittedly, there is still a LOT to tune, but once he gets the transmission tuned and the engined dialed in, it'll be a very sweet ride and a pleasure to drive.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next visit!

-scott
Old 11-06-11, 07:38 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Ryan,

Just curious, what temperature you are trying to run your car at?

I'm using a Megan Racing radiator, a 160 MR Gasket thermostat, water and water wetter and on the cold mornings we've been having lately it will stay at 160 on the highway without the heat or fans on. I actually think this is a little TOO cold. I put in a Stant 170 thermostat and the stupid thing wouldn't open so I gave up on that idea. Thinking about going back to the OEM 180.

FYI I am using stock Camry e-fans and they work WAY better than the 14 inch electric fans I was using. The fans themselves are shrouded and I made my own air damn from the front bumper opening to the radiator core support were there used to be a stock plastic part.

I have a Mishimoto 140 thermostat if you are interested. I decided it would be far too cold here in North Carolina but it would probably be fine on a Florida car with lots of turbo heat.

Still waiting to see some results of your project, don't get on the forums much anymore but still check your progress when I do.

KC
Old 11-06-11, 09:46 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Hey KC. thanks for checking in. I run the stock temp and OEM thermostat. I never looked into the OEM Camry e-fans. I am curious how thick your e-fan set up is? You probably have a lot more room in front that I do. I will see how I do when I get the AC hooked up and run it in the hot summer weather next year, or if we get some hot days here before that.

Post up a pic of your e-fans when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Ryan

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Hey Ryan,

Just curious, what temperature you are trying to run your car at?

I'm using a Megan Racing radiator, a 160 MR Gasket thermostat, water and water wetter and on the cold mornings we've been having lately it will stay at 160 on the highway without the heat or fans on. I actually think this is a little TOO cold. I put in a Stant 170 thermostat and the stupid thing wouldn't open so I gave up on that idea. Thinking about going back to the OEM 180.

FYI I am using stock Camry e-fans and they work WAY better than the 14 inch electric fans I was using. The fans themselves are shrouded and I made my own air damn from the front bumper opening to the radiator core support were there used to be a stock plastic part.

I have a Mishimoto 140 thermostat if you are interested. I decided it would be far too cold here in North Carolina but it would probably be fine on a Florida car with lots of turbo heat.

Still waiting to see some results of your project, don't get on the forums much anymore but still check your progress when I do.

KC
Old 11-27-11, 10:40 PM
trd87t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,

Hats off to you man. Love to see the attention to detail you have put into this project. Makes for a long project but well worth the extra time IMHO. Just read through the whole thing (over the course of a few days though) and just simply amazed.... just don't have much more words than "wow".

Keep up the good work!

-J
Old 12-18-11, 11:34 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Lemon into Lemonade!

Well, time for a new post...Since I last posted, the toughest thing I was facing was hooking up with Darin...With him being constantly in demand for both tuning and building people's rides, plus with me being in a bike accident, going through rehab, and working, it was near impossible to even connect, much less schedule a tuning session. Previously, Darin and I had discussed him tuning my BL built auto transmission, and he said he would consider it. When we finally hooked up, he decided that since he had not tuned my Transmission controller, and his tight schedule, he declined tuning my tranny. This, of course, was a huge let down for me, but I did understand. So, now, I was in a pickle...I could not really drive the car very much, nor dyno it until I worked out the transmission issues and tuned it. I started searching for someone to tune it, and I could find no one in Central Florida that was interested, not even remotely...So, once again, my project was stalled.

I decided to at least get the transmission set up and wired correctly so that I could be prepared to fly in a tuner. So, first, I checked all wiring and connections to make sure they were correct, or determine what issues still needed attention. Since I was having a problem with the shifter linkage, I took my car into Lexus of Orlando, and had them perform a thorough review of everything, and to repair the linkage issue, and they did a most excellent job, as they always do. I have always had nothing short of excellent service and support from Lexus of Orlando, and Alan Sandberg at the dealership, and once again, they delivered. I even got a free Loaner...

Then, I called PCS, and spoke to them about my dilemma. They truly have the best customer service and support of any after market, performance manufacturer that I have ever met or dealt with. They spent hours with me getting the transmission programmed correctly so that all the shift indicators on the shifter and the E-shift were functioning properly. They also sent me a base map and helped me to get the car running a little better. They also said that if I could get my car to them, they would tune it (transmission) for me. So, I started to look at when and how I would get my SC up to Virginia, where they were located.

They mentioned to me that it was unfortunate that I had not contacted them afew weeks earlier, as they were in Orlando at the PRI show, and they would have gladly met up with me to tune my transmission then...Ughhhhhhh if only I had known...

But, as fortune would have it, PCS called me back and let me know that the owner and founder of PCS, Russ Taylor, was driving down to Florida to pick up his nely rebuilt Mazda 3 pure race car from a custom fabricator in Davenport FL, and that he wanted to hook up with me and tune my transmission. Now get this...Russ, wrote the code that is in the TCU, he is a mechanical engineer, a master transmission mechanic, and much more...There was no better person to train my transmission than Russ. We hooked up yesterday, December 17th, 2011, in the evening on his drive back to Virginia, and he spent the the next 2 hours tuning and tweaking and repairing everything about my BL tranny...Needless to say, the ride is phenomenal, and the transmission is so close to stock in normal driving that I was flabbergasted...In performance, my car absolutely came ALIVE! It shifts perfectly! E-Shift is instantaneous, and flawless. I am now able to get the power to the road. I roasted the rear tires in first gear from a dead stop to redline...Something this car has never, ever done before...The car easily burns rubber shifting into second, and at WOT continues to roast the tires until I let off...I can be driving done the road at 40 mph, step on it, and it rips the tires loose from the pavement with ease...All this and mre, and I am at LOW BOOST. Wait until Darin gets ahold of this car on the Dyno...I can hardly stand the anticipation!! The car is wicked fast on the Interstate, simply pressing the throttle partially and it downshifts immediately, and the turbos wine, and the car surges forward, with ease...And of course, when I let off, that most beautiful sound of the BOV expelling extra air is magical to listen...It has been worth all that I have gone through to get here. I am looking forward to January, when Darin can out his finishing touches on the Dyno Tune!

Stay tuned guys...Got to go make some carbon fiber pieces made, and somplete the interior...

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan
Old 12-18-11, 04:35 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ryan, I'm one of the happy people to hear about your update and development with your SC400TT!!! Rep for us SC400 guys Ryan and we'll all rep back!!! LOL

Daniel
Old 12-19-11, 08:48 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait for some dyno numbers!
Old 12-19-11, 11:51 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im excited for some numbers
Old 12-20-11, 08:29 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...after reading this latest update,im strengthened in my resolve to complete my project! Major kudos to you Ryan!! Years upon years of blood,sweat and many tears have let to this beast finally being unleashed out of the cage... I'm on pins and needles waiting for the dyno! -don't have me waiting too long or i might have to take a premature trip to FL,lol
Old 12-29-11, 05:55 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update Ryan.

It is a great feeling when you get a fortuitous opportunity such as the one you had in meeting up with someone of such capability, character, and interest as Russ to personally work on your car. I can understand your new-found enthusiasm!

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II