SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 10:51 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Update

Hey gang,
  • The boost has been adjusted on the wastegates. MInimum boost now set at 10 lbs.
  • The Profec B is being removed, and boost will be controlled by the Autronic ECU, as it is a much better way to do...Anybody need a Profec B? .
  • I had to order the Serial Port connector and terminator plug from Innovate so I can re-program the second analog output connected to the AFR Gauge. That will fix the gauge, and I can then read boost from the cabin without having to connect my computer to my car just to see AFR readings when driving around.
  • Completing the wire trace so I can stop having to press the manual release every time I want to move the gated shifter into reverse or park from drive....Currently, that is a serious pain in the rear...
If all goes well, I should have the car back on the dyno next week with Darin. I will keep you posted.

Thanks to Dan Osypian for all of his help.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-08-12 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 11:13 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great news, call you in the a.m
Old 05-10-12, 03:29 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Incredible build.

Just curious.....since you are using the Autotronic and a separate transmission controller, how are you pulling timing between shifts to keep the sprag from blowing itself to itty bitty pieces. At the power level right now, it won't be an issue but as you get closer to your goal it will definitely have an affect on the longevity of your built transmission.
Old 05-13-12, 05:27 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
great news, call you in the a.m
Deron, yes it is. Finally got the gated shifter issue resolved, because my car is a 93' the instructions on the forum do not work for the shifting back up to reverse or park without having to press the manual lock release every time. But, there is another guy on the forums with I believe, a 92, that had the same issue as me. Followed what he did and now it works! the devil is in the details...buzz me up when you get a chance.

Originally Posted by shaodome
Incredible build.

Just curious.....since you are using the Autotronic and a separate transmission controller, how are you pulling timing between shifts to keep the sprag from blowing itself to itty bitty pieces. At the power level right now, it won't be an issue but as you get closer to your goal it will definitely have an affect on the longevity of your built transmission.
Shahdome, great question. Be it that I am not a transmission expert, let me answer your questions as best as I understand.
1) Timing is run by the Autronic SM4. It adjusts timing based upon the way it is set up in the tune so that it maintains optimal conditions for ignition, fuel, air ratios, economy, load, tps, etc.
2) The PCS is a very sophisticated transmission controller that is wired into the stock harness too, and I do not believe it adjusts timing, but that it instead is mainly looking at TPS, and makes solenoid and valve adjustments to change how quickly and how harshly the built transmission shifts. The PCS can be tuned based upon many parameters, not only TPS, and it is sophisticated enough that it can make a transmission slip to ease shifting harshness as well as lessen slip to zero when needed in aggressive driving, and it will know the difference. In regards to the sprag, and blowing it to smithereens, it is my understanding after speaking with many Supra owners, and researching the subject matter quite intensely, that it is the 2nd gear sprag, that is the weakest link, and the danger is when spinning at WOT in 1st gear, shifting into second gear and suddenly hooking up that subjects the sprag, to the pressures that can cause it to roll, thereby killing the Toyota 4 speed auto. The goal is to make sure this does not happen, which means I need to exercise caution when driving the he'll out of it. I also had PCS tune it to help prevent that from happening, but I will have to ask them what they did as I do not understand it. I hope that helps?

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-13-12 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-13-12, 05:31 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Btw, driving on street tires should help out as they tend to have a lot less traction that slicks...

Ryan
Old 05-23-12, 05:02 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Progress Update

Just want tp give all of you an update. As I mentioned recently, I needed to get the boost controller sorted out, along with the Innovate Air/Fuel gauge reading the mix coming from the wideband, fix the gated shifter auto shift lock issue, and button up the car. This is all completed now.

The Innovate is a pain...great unit, accurate, quality, but, the LC1 is a bit painful and very complex to set up and program. The wideband has to frequently be "free air" calibrated because any anomaly in the wiring resets it. It also cannot share power and ground with other devices because of it's stringent tolerances for voltage. But it is working well now...

My interior is mostly buttoned up now, and that makes my car feel much more complete. No more tons of wires hanging out everywhere. You can see from the pics that it now looks like a car again...

Just finalizing a few more items and back to the dyno...hopefully within the next few weeks at most. Car drives well...

The customizing of my interior will be after the dyno, and then the buttoning up of the exterior. Wow, it has been a very long time...

More to come soon.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-24-12 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 05:15 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Much appreciation to Dan Osypian

I want to be sure to give credit where it is due...Dan Osypian has been doing all of this most recent work for me...I simply do not have the time due to work demands on my time, so Dan stepped up and did it for me...He is one of the very few I have ever trusted to work on this project, especially with the complex wiring that is required for a project such as this one. Dan's work is excellent due to his meticulous nature, and he treats my car as if it's his own...Many props to Dan!!!

This project would be stalled so very much longer if he did not work on it.

Many bows to you Dan

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-23-12 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-23-12, 05:18 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default Question for you wiring gurus

Anybody out there remember what the 2 large plugs are for that sit under the center console about mid way down the tunnel? I cannot remember this for anything...

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-23-12, 05:47 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no idea, but im pretty sure mine is unplugged and its working just fine.
Old 05-23-12, 06:10 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

In that area you have plugs for:

Shift Lock ECU
Parking Brake Switch
O/D Switch
A/T Indicator Light
ECT Switch
Mobile Phone <--- Obviously not used.
Old 05-23-12, 07:39 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Btw, driving on street tires should help out as they tend to have a lot less traction that slicks...

Ryan
The idea of using street tires to combat this issue doesn't seem like the best idea unless you just wanted to have fun skidding around (we all do that, haha). To go faster requires traction, end of discussion. To acquire said traction means having proper tires.....but that is a whole different thread.

You are correct in what you are saying about the 2nd gear sprag. Things can be done in the tune to deal with the issue of not having an input from the transmission to pull timing on the shift, but I would bring it up with your tuner. They may have built that into your tune, but with all the money and time invested, it is worth bringing up the question, ya know?
Old 05-23-12, 08:37 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shaodome
The idea of using street tires to combat this issue doesn't seem like the best idea unless you just wanted to have fun skidding around (we all do that, haha). To go faster requires traction, end of discussion. To acquire said traction means having proper tires.....but that is a whole different thread.

You are correct in what you are saying about the 2nd gear sprag. Things can be done in the tune to deal with the issue of not having an input from the transmission to pull timing on the shift, but I would bring it up with your tuner. They may have built that into your tune, but with all the money and time invested, it is worth bringing up the question, ya know?
I get your point, but if you go back and read, I never stated street tires as a solution to the issue...I think you took that too literally...It was more of an after thought. Plus, even the best street tires do not compare to slicks, and I am not about to drive around the street on slicks. This car is for the street, and ocassionally for the track (which I will change out tires and rims for the track at those specific times). As I mentioned, I well know of the 2nd gear sprag weakness. It is a matter of the tune, and the way I drive, plus, I have been looking into someone building a custom billet sprag that should be much stronger and not be nearly as likely to roll when stressed...

I just wanted to be sure to answer your question as intelligently as I could since you asked a very poignant question about the auto trans, which of course, is a very complex piece of machinery...All Auto transmissions are...
Old 05-23-12, 08:38 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biggu
no idea, but im pretty sure mine is unplugged and its working just fine.

Originally Posted by CleanSC
In that area you have plugs for:

Shift Lock ECU
Parking Brake Switch
O/D Switch
A/T Indicator Light
ECT Switch
Mobile Phone <--- Obviously not used.
Thanks Jose...

Ryan
Old 05-23-12, 08:44 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I get your point, but if you go back and read, I never stated street tires as a solution to the issue...I think you took that too literally...It was more of an after thought. Plus, even the best street tires do not compare to slicks, and I am not about to drive around the street on slicks. This car is for the street, and ocassionally for the track (which I will change out tires and rims for the track at those specific times). As I mentioned, I well know of the 2nd gear sprag weakness. It is a matter of the tune, and the way I drive, plus, I have been looking into someone building a custom billet sprag that should be much stronger and not be nearly as likely to roll when stressed...

I just wanted to be sure to answer your question as intelligently as I could since you asked a very poignant question about the auto trans, which of course, is a very complex piece of machinery...All Auto transmissions are...
As for the sprag upgrade, have you contacted ATF in florida (atfspeed.com). I am told their toyo trans use something like you mention, but don't know if they are willing to part with it as a seperate item.
Old 05-23-12, 09:42 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good!!! cant wait for VIDEO...lol. Also did you cut the cluster hump part out of another dash to put on that dash?

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II