Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Mini Build - What $2k and time can do

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 05:34 AM
Ratman2356
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Glad you did some good maintenance on the engine. Did you handle the timing belt, seals, and water pump yourself?
No, I had a local shop do the water pump, timing belt job. I did the rest. I would like to have done it myself but time was an issue as well as the weather. I have a decent set of tools in my garage but it's full so i work on my stuff in my driveway and we were having a pretty lengthy cold snap at the time.
Old 02-14-11, 05:41 AM
Ratman2356
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
how can u guys not like the woodgrain?

Ratman please tell me where u got all that woodgrain, I think that is one of the most classiest upgrades ive seen done to the interior here and im sorry to say but at my first opportunity I will be doing the exact same thing to my car lol.

Your steering wheel is first class as well.

That is the sort of tasteful modding im all about.
Woodgrain kit came from ebay. You can search for this " Lexus SC300 SC400 92-97 Wood Chrome Dash Kit Trim Parts " company is called Hakimov and goes by the name of Doorpillars. They will take a best offer of $80.00 for the 1st gen set. Note that there were some quality issues with the cutting of the switchplates, they were not rounded off very well IMO. Overall I like it more and more but as mentioned before, I am glad I didn't add the pieces for the stereo and HVAC controls as they take it over the top into the realm of cheesy-ness

Really appreciate the positive comments too
Old 02-14-11, 05:49 AM
Ratman2356
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hil
Interested in those custom stickers for the window switches if you don't mind sharing. Nice build btw
Its called waterslide decal paper and it comes in clear and white. You can get it from hobby stores or off ebay. Cost is about 3 bucks a sheet there, the more you buy the cheaper it is tho. The white makes decals to apply to darker surfaces and the clear is for lighter surfaces. I have an inkjet printer so I got the inkjet paper. You just type up what you want the decal to say and print it and then cut it out and apply it like you would for decals on a model car or plane. (dip in water and slide off onto the application surface and let dry)

I think I used Ariel 3 Point font.
Old 02-14-11, 05:56 AM
Ratman2356
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
What's up with the airbag? Doesn't look like it's sitting in there straight.

Also, it looks like the emblem has been painted over. It's supposed to be chrome.
Yeah, it was off center a little in the picture, I had to go back and line it up properly. The emblem was chrome but had a couple of spots where it had flaked off. I was afraid to try to peel it off, started too actually but it feels like it is attached in a weird way that would tear up the bag surface if I kept at it, so I stopped. I semmed it for now till it warms up and I can work on masking it off really well and redo it with a chrome pen or another emblem once I figure out how to safely remove it.

I already had the SEM on hand as I do interior repair, leather, vinyl, cloth etc for a living.

I probably should have just left it alone in retrospect.

I am glad most of you are liking it. Budget modding can be a lot fun, not as much fun as unlimited funds modding I imagine but better than stock for sure in most cases.
Old 02-14-11, 07:09 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman2356
Its called waterslide decal paper and it comes in clear and white. You can get it from hobby stores or off ebay. Cost is about 3 bucks a sheet there, the more you buy the cheaper it is tho. The white makes decals to apply to darker surfaces and the clear is for lighter surfaces. I have an inkjet printer so I got the inkjet paper. You just type up what you want the decal to say and print it and then cut it out and apply it like you would for decals on a model car or plane. (dip in water and slide off onto the application surface and let dry)

I think I used Ariel 3 Point font.
WHOAH.... how flexible is this stuff?? Flexible enough to wrap around the wood dash panels...
Old 02-14-11, 04:01 PM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

looks good... just needs a drop...
Old 02-14-11, 04:08 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman2356
Woodgrain kit came from ebay. You can search for this " Lexus SC300 SC400 92-97 Wood Chrome Dash Kit Trim Parts " company is called Hakimov and goes by the name of Doorpillars. They will take a best offer of $80.00 for the 1st gen set. Note that there were some quality issues with the cutting of the switchplates, they were not rounded off very well IMO. Overall I like it more and more but as mentioned before, I am glad I didn't add the pieces for the stereo and HVAC controls as they take it over the top into the realm of cheesy-ness

Really appreciate the positive comments too
thanks man---im definitely going to get one of these kits
Old 02-15-11, 04:33 PM
Ratman2356
Rookie

Originally Posted by Klaus
WHOAH.... how flexible is this stuff?? Flexible enough to wrap around the wood dash panels...
Easily. Here is a link to a random ebay seller. I am not promoteing them, I just found one that showed good detail of the product and how to use it and some of the things you can do with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-sheets-Inkjet...ht_4890wt_1002

You can search yourself for waterslide decal paper as well.
Old 02-27-11, 01:28 PM
TuanLegend
Lead Lap

where you get yoru clear side markers?
Old 02-27-11, 07:44 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

gonna keep tabs on this thread
Old 02-27-11, 08:21 PM
mr/griffin