Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My MKIV 93.5 NA-T Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 06:34 AM
VasFinest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My MKIV 93.5 NA-T Build

Hello All I figured I would start my build thread. It wont be that in depths as most of you know whats going on by just reading what I am typing. I am not allowed to upload photos so dunno when I am able to one day I will post the pictures (the few I take are all on my droid x).

To Start off with a lil of my history with Supras. I bought my first Supra during my 2nd tour in Iraq from a dealership down in texas. I got a decent deal on it 13.5k for a 95 targa 5 speed. My plans for building started there. I bought a na-t kit from xs power (yeah I didnt know woulda pieced a lot better kit together for what I paid if I knew what I know now or atleast bought a driftmotion kit). I had no clue about forced induction, fuel systems, Spark or anything. I was a straight newb to the whole world of building a fast car. I went ahead and found a used haltek e6x with all of the bells and whistles to handle my tunning and was going to go to work. Then I found Supraforums. I would use my 30 mins on the computer a night to browse through posts copy them and paste them on a thumbstick so I had good reading material for my down time.

I learned all about the w58 (the supras weakest point... well that and crank walk which I will get to later). I found out that I needed a r154 to handle my 500 hp goal. So I forums shopped around and found Will. He had a full swap for 2.5k and was willing to hold it til I got home and was able to pick it up with cash. I also ordered BPU stuff and a set of toms advox coilovers. So I got home and was able to enjoy my Supra for a little bit. I put on my bpu parts and suspension did a full tune up and got a feel for driving the car for a week or so. Then the rear wheel bearing went out.

I learned very quickly that when you need parts that you can play hell getting them. I was able to find a wheel hub at a local autozone. I tried everywere to get it pressed in but all the shops were closed. Against my better judgement I called Pep boys. They were able to do it that night so I brought the hub assembly in and got it pressed. Everything went well so I thought seemed straight. Had the car running by 10 that night but it seemed off. I thought it was the allignment of taking the hub off so I parked the car and brought it to a local allignment shop the next day. When they took the tires off to raise the coilovers up to get it on the machine the guy pulled me to the pressed in hub and shook the wheel, And as you can guess were this is going told me the wheel hub was bad. He tells me cant do the allignment til I get it fixed. So with my temper I drive over to Pepboys.
They say that the bearing must of been bad because you cant press in a bearing wrong (Which I knew was total bull****). So they brought the car into there garage and said yeah the bearing is bad. They told me that I would need to buy a new one and they would do the press for free. As I was waiting I noticed that they had the car still in there garage with the tire off. I asked the guy what was going on he handed me a slip for removal and replacement of the rear hub (some ridiculous **** like $800) and said they werent going to charge me for the press. I laughed and told him to bring my car outside and to go **** himself.
I try everywere for a new hub and guess the only place that has it (yeah they had 2) Pep boys. Think it was the weekend so yeah suply and demand is a *****... gotta love karma. I went and picked up the bearing from them and called everywere to get it pressed in. Yet again against my better judgement I let pep boys do it for free. Well this time the guy pressing it in pressed it in damn near sideways and chewed the whole inside of the hub up. Without saying anything he went got the other one they had in stock and pressed it in. The guy came out with the hub showed it to me and handed me the old bearing. At this point I am beyond pissed. Instead of make a scene I just walk out and to this day I learned 2 things. **** Pep Boys and not to have my supra as a DD.
With a chewed hub I start putting everything back together and realize that the axle nut stripped the axle out right by the assembly. FML at this point. Long story short 2 weeks later and a trip to the dealership I replaxed the axle. Lifes good the Supra is running good again almost summer time and I volunteer to go on my 3rd tour to Iraq.
Well A week before I am to ship to N.C. a lovely little deer runs out infront of my car.. I hit rocks while locking up my breaks and total my car. with a 15k check I head off to Iraq.

Well I tell myself that I need to save money and buy a house what a good start 15k. so I throw it in savings and let it sit. My tour to Iraq starts comming to an end and I volunteer to shift to Afghanistan for the surge. Well I dunno what it is about Supra's but once you have them in your blood seems they never leave. My mom bought me a house (My money but she closed on it cause she is my power of attorney) and I still had my Supra Money in Savings... Yeah with 3 months left in Afghanistan my mom gets the phone call she needs to be at the house to sign for a car I just bought off of ebay. 16.3k shipped to my door later I am with my new baby and were this thread comes about.
Old 02-06-11, 06:35 AM
VasFinest
Driver School Candidate

1993.5 Toyota Supra Targa Premier Edition 5 speed manual. AEM EMS, 62mm turbo, Dual fuel pumps, 750cc injectors tuned on E85. Just needs the intercooler piping reinstalled and brackets replaced on the front mount. Good deal especially for Ebay I am in heaven!

So I get back from Afghanistan and I got a new house a new to me Supra and a few k in savings. Oh before I deployed a local shop that helped me install my BPU sold me a ge engine trans ecu wiring harness for a hell of a price and held it for me til I got back. I put the intercooler piping kit on it and use some 1/4" steel brakets to hold up the Front mount and tada its ready to drive! Well the cars gas gauge reads .5 way so for a first drive I am going to get it filled up (closest place to me is 45 mins away up in D.C. and a lil 95 fun will be great). So I pull it out and of course I have to heat up the tires so I get grip... I hit the back roads heading to 95. 1.5 miles from my house I realy start getting into her. 1st gear... 2nd gear... 3rd gear... 4th and POP!!! I try again and it goes in this time but I wanna check out what the pop is so I slow down and pull into a school to take a look. I get out no fluids on the ground seems ok... in first it starts making a horible clanking sound :-) First day driving the car the first day I blew my first w58 Good sign right? So I get the car towed back to my house. **Thank you Mister Timmy with SOS towing*** I would hate to see my tow bills over the years with any other company. the next weekend off I go pick up my engine and tranny from my local shop and throw the new to me w58 in it while I go ahead and order flywheel bolts for my r154 swap sitting in my garage.

This W58 I will baby until my r154 swap is totally ready to go in. takes about 11 hours (first supra tranny change ever by myself). Now I should have would have and could have taken the flywheel off checked everything out but I just wanted to drive again until winter time when I was going to put the r154, 1000cc, injectors, 72mm turbo, hks 272's, delete the distributor and run coilpacks (get wrench time in and double check to make sure the car was done right) Plus I have another engine if anything goes seriously wrong.

When I was in Afghanistan I found a lil guy named Matt Small that said to hit him up when I get home. He can help me with my build when I start it. He hit me up and said he finally had his SC ready and was going to a event up in germantown lexus. Perfect timing to test out my new tranny. The night before the Event I go pick my soldier up from Walter Reed to bring him out to the car show (Walter Reed can be really depressing its good to get out ever now and then). I go through the city to pick him up and my car ends up overheating (it was roughly 90 degrees and the car has dual electric fans) So I let the car sit for a bit we took a hobble to the local gas station and picked up some antifreeze and everything was good all back to normal! Until going around 495 we ran out of fuel with the car on half a tank and wow I didnt notice the fuel light on. So 1 am my dad drives up to DC with my 8 5 gal jugs of e85 and I am back in buisiness with the fuel gauge problem on note. The next day we take a short way out of DC hit the beltway and go to the Lexus event. I meet up with Matt for the first time and yeah my car gets disected with every problem pointed out. This is also the day I met Omar. Event went good we all go back to Matts house for a few beers and I see Wills supra. The guy from NY that I bought my r154 swap from. Hella Small world. Everything goes good my soldiers pain meds start wearing off and we head back to Walter Reed. On the way Back down Matts bumpy *** road my exhaust falls down. Matt came out and helped me throw a new bolt in it to hold it up (straight pipe no hangers hks carbon muffler) and off I go again. I drop my soldier off and head home. Everything is going good besides the few rough events I had.

I drive the car back up to Jersey while I am going through rehabilitation I can atleast enjoy life a little bit. Evertyhing goes great on the drive up there! The tranny install was a success and it was holding the power! I get a Vette under my belt an R6 an M3 (so much for taking it easy on the tranny). Lifes goooood! For the moment anyways... Me and my friend were heading out to the movies and I got a good piece of a new vette. Its fun showing off new toys. I park the car in the back of the lot and get a good photo Op. We go in watch a movie come out and I start my car. I hear a clanking sound whenever my clutch is pressed in... I flip **** thinking I blew another tranny. I drive the car to his house and park it. The next day he lends me his truck to go back out and check my car out. I jack it up and notice an oil spot on the asphault. I check the dipstick its good check trans fluid its good... start the car up and still the sound is there. I shut it off and make the decision I am going to cannonball run it back to VA friday after my appoinments are done.
I leave Jersey a little after noon and get it. I dont think I went under 85 the whole way besides when I got stuck behind dumb ****s that dont realize I am trying to limp my car back home and avoid DC friday traffic. It ran strong for all of 30-40 miles then my clutch start slipping when I hit boost. All good she still drove.... **** 495 I hit 495 and of course road work at 2 pm on a friday...I was able to keep moving all except once and that one time I about through the towel in. I went to take off in first gear and the car stalled. While I was rolling I tried starting it up... Nothing I was coasting to the shoulder and just flicked my flasher on when I tried for the final time to start and boom back in buisiness... I made it to my parents house South of Fredericksburg, Va from Ft. Dix in 2.5-3 hours. I get it in the garage.

I spend Friday night ripping the trans out... and find the culprit... a flywheel bolt backed out... I needed a break. I replaced 4 trans in a matter of 5 weeks (mustang, supra, eclipse, and sonoma) I let my car sit for about a month. I actually got really depressed and didnt even bother comming home. Think it was Matt that hit me up and asked about my car I told him what was up and he said just knock it out its easy doing the swap... Just like doing a w58 swap. After a months I finally just did it. Took a weekend off and threw the r154 in. It was too easy Matt was on call for any problems I ran into Drift Motion told me all the extra lil bolts I need... And Ron Rosner Toyota of Fredericksburg, Va gave me free clutch plate bolts just to get my car running so they could see it. Rear main, throwout, pilot, all the stuff replaced. Cars running strong lil slip in full boost but I figure its because I didnt get the flywheel turned (shoulda woulda coulda but I wanted to drive it!) After a few miles the clutch stops slipping!

Too easy Lifes good I get Transferred from Ft. Dix to Ft. Belvoir with TBI clinic at Walter Reed. I get to work on my car and bring her out all the time I am loving life and my trips to walter reed give me a chance to get my e85 gas cans filled. Its all going smooth... then I stop hearing my BOV whistle when I let off the gas. I park the car for a week or so until I hear ISP was having a winter meet. I have never heard of ISP besides Matt and Omar Telling me they are the ones to go to to get my car tuned. This lights a match under my *** to get my car driveable so I can meet the people and see if I like em (as I learned from my last Supra Events I dont care how convienient **** is or how inexpensive if it dont feel right there is no way I am going to do it... I have a daily driver now for this exact reason). So I take my bumper off and check out the BOV it seems to be working properly... I start tracing the intercooler piping thinking something might have come loose or whatever and I found the culprit. The 2.5-3" 90 comming from the Turbo to the intercooler got too hot from the header and melted. Over time the melted part got hard and cracked making a hole in the silicone. That was a easy and cheap $25 fix thank you ebay! I hit Matt up and he says he will meet me up at ISP and grab some beer (Va all gas stations sell beer).

I get to ISP and pop back a few beers then get out and start mingling until Matt got there. Walked around and ended up talking to a guy with a white Mercedes CLK500 with an AMG swap (This guy was cool as **** and that car couldnt have been done up better). He ended up dynoing his car right before I did. Was Nice to see they had the Dyno up and were dynoing cars. Matt Gets there and I see Omar. We are all sitting around BSing while the benz got Dynoed. I went up and asked Peter if I could get a dyno run after. Said he "Always loves putting a Supra on the dyno." Well I am excited I go out and start my car and pull it in. Good stuff!

Its an Odd feeling hooking your car up to a dyno with 50 people watching. But as soon as the wastegate opened and the ears got covered all I could do is Grin. 412.6 at 7.5k RPM running rich as hell with breakup. I couldnt have been happier I bought a good starting car and I was comfortable enough driving it to be ready for more power. Sorry to anyone that has driven lightly modded cars and buys a 700 HP car... No Wrench Time No Respect...

So I melted another hose after driving it hard for a few weeks after all good its winter time it snowed taking it down for winter. Allllll good. I hit Matt (who dropped off the face of the Earth and changed his number) and Omar up seeing if they could help me with my winter build. Omar says he is down and we set a date for this past weekend. And Matt Finally hit me up on FB with his new number so he is going to Shim the VVTI head I gott off of Omar before Omar gets down to start helping with the swap.
Old 02-06-11, 06:36 AM
VasFinest
Driver School Candidate

I acquired a few parts over the past few months. IS300 vvti head, TT hks 264 cams, precision 72mm turbo,and 1000cc precision injectors. Omar said he had the new oil pump water pump and small **** I needed for the build. So, I talk to Omar about what I am going to need to get the cams in the car. He sends me to SRT racing to get Mo to machine the cams. He did a great job. Thanks Mo! So everything is about ready to start.

Quick explantion of the VVTI head. I wanted to go distributorless for turbo clearance issues. I definately went the expensive route I could of gone distributor block off plate ls1 coil packs tt oil pump tt crank cog etc. but hey live and learn. Plus I already had bought the parts.

So The friday before Omar comes down I go up and grab Matt. He comes down we drink a few beers go out to see the local Hooters girls and end up back at my parents house. About 1 am and a semi sober daze he teaches me how to check valve clearances. This is the first and only part of the build that goes easy and smooth. They are all perfect. .008 on the intake .010 on the exhaust. Plus I get a valuable lesson on shimming and checking the valve clearances. (If you do any motor work I would suggest getting factory manuals just to double check yourself).

My new head is ready to go Omar comes down and we start ripping everything apart after we trace all of the wires. This thing is a wiring nightmare. Wires running from the MSD to the fans sensors broken off with random wires laying in the engine bay... Yeah fun times but most of them were figured out and we delete a lot of em as I am going back to fan clutch for heating issues. All of the motor accessories are taken off of the car and the valve covers taken off and we start trying to drop the oil pan. Figured we would be able to lift the engine enough to get the oil pan dropped so we can replace the oil pump... no go! We end up taking the extra 10 minutes and pulling the engine and trans out.

The engine and trans came out smoothly plus this gives me a chance to wash my engine bay. It really does need it :-p. We start take the trans off get the engine on a stand and start going to work sorta... I drop the rear black pan and find 3 large chunks of metal in the oil pan. Wow yeah my thrust washers were sitting there smiling at me. What a hell of a day! By this time we have been at work on the car for about 14 hours and it was definately a stopping point. We come to the conclusion I need my spare GE engine and we will start from there next weekend.

Throug out the week I get the engine from my house to my parents house get the engine all tore down and prepped ready to go. I didnt find any smiling thrust washers in the bottom of this one thank god. I am able to get the block painted and prepped. Get the trans all wire brushed looking nice and pretty. Start polishing all the accessories. Water necks tensioner pulley PS bottle radiator overflow bottle waterpump pipe dipstick (I was a polishing fool I have a lot more time then money). Only things that turned out like **** were the valve covers. I pull the car halfway out of the garage and get to work with a scrub brush a gallon of simple green a gallon of purple power and 3 cans of engine degreaser. The engine bay turned out ok I was wishing for a pressure washer the whole time. Saturday night Omar comes down and we put in more work.

We get the engine all put back together new gaskets water pump oil pump crank cog cleaned up underdrive and all that, it was a long night. But it paid off we put the new rear main in (I fuct up my other rear main putting it in when I did my trans swap the spring didnt sit right) attacheced the trans and boom in she went! It was time for a break. I could finish up the other little things on my own. Omar was beat and so was I so about 1 pm after working 16 or so hours we called it a night.
Old 02-06-11, 06:36 AM
VasFinest
Driver School Candidate

So Monday Omar had off work. I went up to MD picked him up and we went down to talk to Peter Lee at ISP racing to do some welding. I needed my 90 welded on my turbo and a q45 tb welded on my ffim (Thanks again Will!). So we went down and Peter welded on the 90 and the q45 we came to the conclusion we needed the flange to weld on not the whole TB. OK right here let me say something. Never weld on a turbo 90 without having the car there. Peter also says that the FFIm is way to big and will cause lag. Tells me to bring him my lower runner and he will see what he can fit together to get it to fit right(I hope he can make a nice FFIM for a good price it will help the NA world out a lot. It sucks buying 1.2-2k FFIMs new). It will end up needing more modification. Peter you were definately right saying this was a bad idea. Me and Omar went to a local junkyard too and got the coilpack clips and tried to find the tps sensor clip for the q45 with no luck. Go figure a big *** junkyard without a single q45. So we end up parting ways and I am left with the mission of getting a q45 flange and finishing up mounting a few things on the car.

So this past Wedsnday I get to the junkyard with my lil craftsman set and get a while q45 flange and tb. Yeah I didnt think I would need a metric set of allen keys.

Thursday I have a few appointments at walter reed so I swing by ISP racing in a gap I had for lunch. Peters vast knowledge still amazes me. He goes over a few workings for me and tells me there is no point atm to go with a q45. I am running 2.5" intercooler piping and the stock tb will work just as well. I am able to get a few prices on parts I need to finish up my build and head out. Its amazing how 2 hours fly by when you are learning about **** you are interested in!

I get a phone call at 3 ish about someone needing my old rear sump oil pan. Get another call at 5 saying he was on his way from NY and then at 10 he showed up. This worked out good I done ran out of money for the current 2 weeks to keep persuing with my build so yeah. I cant remember this guys name but dude is straight! Went flawlessly and I am able to get a few more misc parts for the car.

Today is Sunday and Omars BDAY! Happy Bday bro! I am slacking still havent finished mounting up the trans and getting the hoses cleaned and filling fluids and getting the engine accessories mounted up. **** therapy I hate having needles jabbed into my neck and spine takes all motivation out of you for doing anything but laying there. I figured I would post this up before I headed out to the garage.

<~^~*THANK YOUS*~^~>
* My Parents, For years there 24x40 garage has been cluttered with my cars. Plus my dad is a trooper when it comes to sticking it out and talking since whenever I do any car work. My mom always supports me and my friends with food and beer runs!
* Matt Small (Slow_SC3, The GTE Master), Thanks bro you have helped me learn quickly and always have made me figure **** out while pointing me in the right direction. Without you I would never have been able to learn the Supra World.
* Omar (The GE Master), You are breaking everything down so I can learn while you help with my build. Thanks for keeping my spirits high when **** seems to not work right and passing your knowledge down!
*My friends for giving me hella deals on parts I need for the build and puting in wrench time doing remedial **** like taking off body panels and whatnot.
*Peter Lee ~www.clubispracing.com~ ISP Racing Hanna St. Beltsville MD - Your welds are superb, your knowledge is vast, Thank you for helping man. Making a soldiers dreams come true one stage at a time. I am still working on getting you into the Washington Post for helping with my Rehabilitation! See you on Vday to get my hooker tuned!
*Mr. Timmy ~S.O.S. Towing~ Fredericksburg, Va - I have never seen someone so dedicated with such a friendly policy. You have been a family friend for years and have helped me out no matter what time of day it was. Alls it has ever taken was a call and you were there or on standby to make hour long trips!
Old 02-06-11, 06:43 AM
N1T3MARE
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great build story! Sounds like a journey, but well worth it. Post up pics when you can. Also, thank you for serving our country in the military. That means the most to me.

Dee E.

Last edited by N1T3MARE; 02-06-11 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 08:53 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

no pics =( cliff notes?
Old 02-06-11, 09:30 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics are the (almost) most important thing.
Old 02-06-11, 09:54 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is this a state of the union speech? lol
Old 02-06-11, 10:17 AM
Access
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadu
no pics =( cliff notes?
this! this! this!
Old 02-06-11, 10:33 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My signature is relevant to this thread.
Old 02-06-11, 11:09 AM
Turbo?
Pole Position

pics or ban
Old 02-06-11, 12:25 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

way to much reading..
Old 02-06-11, 02:19 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

SC300_704 way to much reading..
Haha my eyes hurt. But ya nice story tho

Lets see
Pics
Pics
Old 02-06-11, 03:12 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Tom Clancy, nice novel...now lets go Dr. Seuss for a bit and toss in some illustrations
Old 02-06-11, 06:13 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Pics or it never happened!

Quick Reply: My MKIV 93.5 NA-T Build