Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Finally a small build going on with my SC300

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 05:43 AM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow nice job dude. hopefully ill be addin this into my up coming build plans looks awesome and that dash could have come out the factory like that. really good job :thumbs
Old 05-14-11, 07:09 AM
Catracho30
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job.i might doing this to mine soon
Old 05-14-11, 08:39 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

good job, looking good! it's amazing what we can do when we take our time...
Old 05-14-11, 08:58 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Lookin pretty good man keep it up and be sure to post the finished result.
Old 05-19-11, 06:39 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

damn you got mad skills on the painting and dying it looks straight up oem
Old 05-26-11, 01:14 PM
boostin240
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. I basically cleaned the surface really well with some degreaser to make sure all the old dirt and grime came off. Then I dried the pieces and warmed them up with a heat gun, I also made sure the room temperature was good enough to spray in. I then basically gave a few light coats one at a time letting them dry.

Once each coat was dry I would recoat a few times until the surface was all painted and the coating even. Otherwise you can notice areas that have more paint then others. In this case I used a flat black color from Duplicolor, the vinyl and carpet spray you can get at most auto parts stores.

I will be ordering SEM very soon to try out on my upcoming project, a 1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille which has factory original Turquoise interior. Ill post up the build progress somewhere on here soon. Im curious to see which one I will prefer, since so far I have only dealt with the Duplicolor. I used it in the past on my Nissan 240sx dashboards and they held up very well.

So far its been over a month and the paint is holding up very good. I also bought some 3M DiNoc Vinyl and I am covering some of my interior trim and the wood in it. I got an IS300 steering wheel and need to hunt down an airbag. After that, my carpet and head liner will be next on the to do list and the final touches will be RSX leather seats and some form of back seats to finish the interior off.
Old 08-18-11, 02:11 PM
boostin240
Driver

Some updates on the build, I finally got all the parts for my black steering wheel setup. I ordered an IS300 steering wheel off EBAY with the UP/DOWN buttons for about $80 bux. It was obviously missing an airbag, so I looked around and found a RAV4 airbag, also on Ebay and snatched it for $70 bux shipped. So for a total of Under $160, I was able to get a working airbag and wheel both in black with a more modern look.

I have to say that first driving impressions are amazing. I feel as if I am in a new car, not just because it looks sooo much nicer, but the wheel feels so much more sportier and im almost positive its more responsive. I feel the car more now, every corner I take and every turn I take I feel it much better then with the original wheel.

Ill post up some pictures of it later tonight.
Old 08-18-11, 03:14 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey looks like nice results. But does it smell like paint at all in your car? How did you address this issue?
Old 08-18-11, 03:20 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sem is now carried by oreilys auto parts. At least here in alabama. I used duplicolor the first time on my trim pieces and it didnt turn out at all. Nor the carpet. It showed wear within two weeks on the floormats. Sem is the best paint ever that i have used. I hope you have better luck than i did. Good luck on your build. Looks good so far.
Old 08-19-11, 08:49 PM
boostin240
Driver

Here are some updates on the steering wheel:

Old 08-19-11, 09:02 PM
boostin240
Driver

Originally Posted by One HoT
Hey looks like nice results. But does it smell like paint at all in your car? How did you address this issue?
Smelled like it for a while, lol... so I just bought 2 packs of cigs and smoked em hahaha then I jammed 3 x black ice trees in there at once.

But I agree with the previous poster, the duplicolor is nowhere near as good as SEM, so for the 3-5 extra bux you pay per can its worth it, however I didn't expect to go as far with the car as I did. However its getting very addicting. The more I do on it the better it gets, the more I want to modify and the more I want to fix / repair / restore. I have to say it again, the steering wheel made a ton of difference, I just love the car so much more now, it flows better with the interior, makes the car look way newer and just feels so much nicer in your hands.

Next up is going to be the 5spd swap and I'm stuck between the leather TRD shifter and the ***** TRD shifter. Both are pretty nice and leather tends to wear out but the ***** one seems to be too light.

Next on the interior agenda is to source some black leather seats from an RSX and do my carpet and headliner as well as finish the rest of my carbon fiber vinyl on the wood trim. KEEP IN MIND MY CAR WAS IN VERY WORN OUT SHAPE compared to most of the cars on this forum. I bought the car last year for $1800. It had 203xxx miles, leaking a ton of oil from the oil pressure sensor, worn out shocks, no dash lights, no interior lights, no trunk supports, bad passenger side door panel, blown speakers, leaking LCD screen and almost bald tires on the original 15" wheels. In less a year I got it feel and look more like a proper Lexus. If I only had more money this car would already be 1JZ swapped with proper wheels with some decent suspension mods.

Old 08-20-11, 12:24 AM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

go with the ***** i think it looks a little sportier. and the interior is looking on point, hope the paint holds up for ya