Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

kt636 slow build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 03:40 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

off topic but wat steering wheel is that in ur car... nice build btw!
Old 06-06-11, 10:59 AM
kt636
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadu
awesome build.. where can I get more info on rebuilding the transmission like that?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=MT&P=1

I basically read the manual over and over like 3-4 times and go through in my head on what to do what needs to be done. This is my first time taking apart a rear wheel drive transmission. I was super nervous at first but I went ahead and did it anyway. Have a good clean working space, take your time, organize all parts taken out (mine were all in zip lock bags) and you should be set.
Old 06-06-11, 11:14 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Is300 I think.
Old 06-06-11, 11:26 AM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by lookEVO
How much of the D plenum did you order? Are you gonna do velocity stacks?
I ordered 23" which I knew was a little over. I just measured my final length and its at 19 3/4". My initial plan was to go with velocity stacks but it exceeds my budget so I'm going to round out the edges to make it curve like a semi velocity stack. If you can get someone to weld for cheap then here is what I was planning to do. Cut up the base of the D plenum after you drilled your 2" hole for the manifold. Weld in the velocity stacks and weld back the plate to the plenum.
Old 06-06-11, 11:28 AM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by cmh
off topic but wat steering wheel is that in ur car... nice build btw!
Originally Posted by MKIVS374
Is300 I think.
Thanks. yup its from an IS300 manual
Old 06-06-11, 11:57 AM
kt636
Rookie

Here is what I found at the junk yard yesterday.

I was going to order the adapter piece for relocating the reservoir from the dealer for $32 but I found one that work. It came out of a 92-96 Camry and it only cost me $2!

Got the throttle cable from the same car as well. Here is a side by side picture of the sc3 and the Camry cable. I bolt it up to the car and hand test fit the cable and the TB and its about 1.5" short. I think I have a solution for this already so I'll be heading to the bicycle shop when I'm almost done.

I searched the yard for options for the reservoir and I found a couple from various Nissan that would work but its a little bulky. As I was leaving, I walked across a strip out car and the only thing was left is this power steering reservoir and its an sc400.

From the way it looks, the sc4 PS reservoir sits on the opposite side as the sc3. I was planning to make my own bracket but I found a way to make it work. I bent one of the tap to face upward and cut the other tap completely off. I also have to move the fuse box about an 1" toward the fender. I'll be making a bracket for that later.

I spent a total of $25 at the junk yard yesterday and its worth every pennies of it.
Old 06-06-11, 12:10 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Nice build looks good
Old 06-06-11, 10:27 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kt636
I ordered 23" which I knew was a little over. I just measured my final length and its at 19 3/4". My initial plan was to go with velocity stacks but it exceeds my budget so I'm going to round out the edges to make it curve like a semi velocity stack. If you can get someone to weld for cheap then here is what I was planning to do. Cut up the base of the D plenum after you drilled your 2" hole for the manifold. Weld in the velocity stacks and weld back the plate to the plenum.
Yeah, at 40 bucks each that is a little steep... still isnt terrible but we will see.. Im definitely doing this. thanks for pointing me in the direction. You dont think youll miss out, not having the velocity stacks?
Old 06-06-11, 11:42 PM
kt636
Rookie

2jzgte IAC check valve and grommet came in today as well as 1/4" think aluminum plate that I bought from Ebay to make the end for the manifold.

I didn't have a way of holding the plenum securely on my drill press to drill the holes for the runner so I took it to a local machine shop and $40 later its back. I messed up on drilling two of the bolt hole so I need to oval it out a bit to get it to fit.

Spent a portion of my time doing this... didn't turn out all that bad.

Old 06-07-11, 12:09 AM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Yeah, at 40 bucks each that is a little steep... still isnt terrible but we will see.. Im definitely doing this. thanks for pointing me in the direction. You dont think youll miss out, not having the velocity stacks?
I don't think that I'm missing out all that much comparing what I did to having velocity stacks. I've been debating a lot about this and the Greddy unit that bolt on to the 2jzgte doesn't have anything and its proven on some high horse supra. If you really want them velocity stacks, what I was considering doing was to get 916 Ducati velocity stacks. You can get them on eBay for under $30 a pair and from what I researched I think they are 50mm. That's a little under 2" but you can cut them down at the bevel where it's at 2".
Old 07-22-11, 10:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

nice build. I am in the works of getting my rmr d plenum machined and welded right now. did you use a 45 degree angle on the back for the D plenum? also did you find the right throttle cable, i think there are a couple longer toyota ones out there.
I ordered 19 inches of D plenum so I'm hoping everything works out alright.
hopefully you have it all finished by now.