Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Sarge IS-F's re-build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 08:51 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the silver part. Use the medium grip blue tape. The light hold will fall off with the weight of the newspaper, and/or might not keep the paint from leaking through. ALWAYS overlap the tape, and the paper. Take your time, and check your lines. Any little silver left will show up against the black. Use enamel paint as it is the hardest paint and wont chip easy. Ill have more pics this weekend. It turned out great.

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Did you tape off and paint the entire window trim - including the part that was already black? Or did you just paint the chrome portion?

Last edited by SargeISF; 07-23-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 11:08 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The previous owner of my ISF did this same thing, he painted the chrome in a piano black paint, but just a few months after I bought it the trim started chipping. There are some pretty bad chips on each piece of trim so I'm having to redo it all, and it's a royal PITA since I need to strip the old paint first with a paint stripper while not letting it get anywhere on the car. Hopefully your paint holds up! I'm going to try using PlastiDip when I redo mine.
Old 08-27-12, 06:58 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Update 8/27/2012

1.Installed the new Blackberry Music Gateway with a ground loop isolator. Sounds great, but I had to add some more highs in the setting on the radio. Its awesome. It plays music, but when a call comes in it switches to the internal Bluetooth for the car automatically and back to the music when your done. Also, I have an HTC Vivid, and it auto connects when I turn on the car. Best $50 Ive spent so far. No more wires!!!

2. I installed the Cusco Strut bar. Very tight, and perfect fit. I love the look, and it gives the engine bay a little more bling. I cant really tell if there is any gains in rigidity, but I didn't buy it for that to be honest. I got it at a great price, couldn't pass it up. Overall Im pleased with the look. Ill post pics tomorrow, and a video on the BMG.
Old 08-27-12, 07:17 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I really didn't feel any difference with it on the track Sarge. And I do agree, love what it does to the engine bay.
Old 08-28-12, 06:31 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming u plug the gateway to the auxillary? And where did you place the unit?
Old 08-28-12, 06:53 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Tio, the unit is a little over 3" long and 2" wide. I put mine in the arm rest and it doesn't take up any space. And its plugged in to a flat USB charger, and the aux. I just leave it in there.

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I'm assuming u plug the gateway to the auxillary? And where did you place the unit?
Old 08-28-12, 06:58 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SargeISF
Tio, the unit is a little over 3" long and 2" wide. I put mine in the arm rest and it doesn't take up any space. And its plugged in to a flat USB charger, and the aux. I just leave it in there.
I was looking at this unit a long time ago but wasn't sure on the size and how it worked. I might make the switch over but not sure at the moment as I don't have a usb charger. I have an invertor that takes most of the space in the arm rest...might be looking for a smaller one soon.
Old 08-28-12, 07:13 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Get rid of that inverter Tio. Ill get some pics up in a second. My usb charger was $.99 in Walgreen's.

I was looking at this unit a long time ago but wasn't sure on the size and how it worked. I might make the switch over but not sure at the moment as I don't have a usb charger. I have an invertor that takes most of the space in the arm rest...might be looking for a smaller one soon.
Old 08-28-12, 09:33 AM
rupavi
Driver School Candidate

Update 8/27/2012

It plays music, but when a call comes in it switches to the internal Bluetooth for the car automatically and back to the music when your done. Also, I have an HTC Vivid, and it auto connects when I turn on the car. Best $50 Ive spent so far. No more wires!!!.
How does your phone connect to 2 outputs at the same time. As far as i know the phone can connect to only one bluetooth output at a time. So if your phone auto connects to the car, how can you simultaneously connect to to the blackberry gateway and how does the car switch between the 2 when there is no connection between the 2. I have a belkiin bluetooth receiver and play music wirelessly, but its either i connect to the belkin or to the car, cant have both connected.

This was what was explained to me when i asked if i could have something that would auto switch between 2 outputs.
Old 08-28-12, 10:08 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rupavi
How does your phone connect to 2 outputs at the same time. As far as i know the phone can connect to only one bluetooth output at a time. So if your phone auto connects to the car, how can you simultaneously connect to to the blackberry gateway and how does the car switch between the 2 when there is no connection between the 2. I have a belkiin bluetooth receiver and play music wirelessly, but its either i connect to the belkin or to the car, cant have both connected.

This was what was explained to me when i asked if i could have something that would auto switch between 2 outputs.
It depends on the phone. I have an HTC (Amaze 4G, with Android ICS) as well as the BlackBerry gateway and it can connect simultaneously to the F's nav and the gateway with no problem. This may be due to the fact that the F's nav solely uses the BT calling function while the gateway solely uses BT audio functionality. I'm not sure if that's the case but it works!

BTW Sarge.. great job with the F! It's inspiring to see its evolution. It's looking real good!

Last edited by Boma; 08-28-12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 11:07 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Im not sure the IPhone supports the double connectivity.

Thanks BOMA!

Originally Posted by Boma
It depends on the phone. I have an HTC (Amaze 4G, with Android ICS) as well as the BlackBerry gateway and it can connect simultaneously to the F's nav and the gateway with no problem. This may be due to the fact that the F's nav solely uses the BT calling function while the gateway solely uses BT audio functionality. I'm not sure if that's the case but it works!

BTW Sarge.. great job with the F! It's inspiring to see its evolution. It's looking real good!
Old 08-28-12, 11:11 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Here is how it can connect. The blackberry gateway uses NFC technology.
Old 08-28-12, 01:48 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Here is the video I made to show you how its installed. Its my first time making videos, so forgive me,lol!!

http://youtu.be/hin2IZpvFns
Old 08-29-12, 12:52 AM
rupavi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boma

Here is how it can connect. The blackberry gateway uses NFC technology.
Thanks for the input. I think i'll give the blackberry gateway a shot and see if it works.
Old 09-12-12, 12:01 PM
parasitius
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. I think i'll give the blackberry gateway a shot and see if it works.
I can assure anyone who is wondering that iPhone (at least 4S) works perfectly with Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway for music (A2DP) + in-car hands-free calling. I run the exact setup on my Acura TL-S and it's flawless, and about 10x better sound quality than the A2DP rubbish on my old car's stereo.

Quick Reply: Sarge IS-F's re-build Thread