Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12 | 12:47 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

i'm personally not a fan of cams, but my modded cars are usually my DDs.
i like my stock cam smooth idle

but when it comes to making power, they're a huge upgrade...
Old 02-19-12 | 07:48 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

im basically doing everything you've done. soooo i just need the injectors and the driftmotion AEM kit. i wanna see a dyno sheet when its all said and done. cause if those 1mm of lift help. then i'll buy them. cause i wanna hit 500hp on 93 octane myself.
Old 02-19-12 | 08:22 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

264's as far as lope are concerned are discreet, you have to really listen. 272's and 280's are a dead giveaway!

And as miniscule as "1mm" of lift is concerned, the amount of air per/ rev is exponentially increased with a single turbo system.

You are going to love this thing when it's at WOT, that's for damn sure.
Old 02-20-12 | 04:53 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
264's as far as lope are concerned are discreet, you have to really listen. 272's and 280's are a dead giveaway!

And as miniscule as "1mm" of lift is concerned, the amount of air per/ rev is exponentially increased with a single turbo system.

You are going to love this thing when it's at WOT, that's for damn sure.
Thats what I wanted to hear about the cams!

More progress today. The oil feed line to my gauge came in from DM. Had to loosen up the AC compressor to get to it. Unplug the oil pressure sending switch, then unplug the factory screw. Kinda aggravating to put in, buts its done. Wired the gauges with power and ground, and mounted them securely with the plastic screw caps. Here is a few pictures along the way.

The 02 sensor plug fit perfect to remove it.. Size 7/8.

Screwed in and placed over the AC compressor.

Fitting plug in and tightened up with teflon tape..

Sorry for the poor lighting, but they look great. Will try to make more if deemed a requirement.
Old 02-21-12 | 06:08 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

so what did you do with the stock oil pressure switch?

oh no, the dreaded pillar 3 gauge pod!!
Old 02-21-12 | 06:21 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I left it on the workbench,and the actual wiring hanging there, as per DM. I guess I need to pull the oil light now on the cluster.

Come on now, it aint that bad! :-)

At first I had really mixed emotions about it, but after my research, it seemed that really no one had gotten one to place on the A pillar, so I went in for the kill. Turned out quite nicely, in my book. How long I will like it there.................................dont know.
Old 02-21-12 | 08:26 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

couldn't you have just gotten a "T" for the end of that new line you installed
?
i'm not hating here, just wondering why you'd do all that work and leave wires hanging and have your oil pressure light ON on your dash...
Old 02-21-12 | 08:40 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by cartmill
couldn't you have just gotten a "T" for the end of that new line you installed
?
i'm not hating here, just wondering why you'd do all that work and leave wires hanging and have your oil pressure light ON on your dash...
Its all good. This was what they recommended. I will just pull the bulb. No biggie!
Old 02-21-12 | 12:33 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Here is all i done today, tucked all the wires, mounted the ecu back in place for the steering wheel tilt, and cleaned up the inside a bit.

Old 02-21-12 | 02:21 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

it is more work to pull that cluster bulb out than it is to put a damn T at the end of the oil pressure line you just installed.
wtf?

and if you were going to be ghetto, you could just ground the damn wire coming out of that oil pressure switch plug....
Old 02-21-12 | 02:38 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I like the pillar pod. 3 gauges is quite a bit to squeeze in there, but it is better than putting them in the glove box or screwing them to the dash. I have my AFR gauge in my ash tray, so I can't talk Don't worry about the idiot light. just pull the bulb like you said and move on.
Old 02-21-12 | 04:36 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
it is better than putting them in the glove box .
You don't like the gauges in the glove box? that's what i like keep it clean and when you get stop by a cop he won't be all up in your business because it's hidden in the glove box.
No need to open the glove box if your tune if good, and the ecu does what it suppose to do

It's coming along , so far how much time before you fire it up?

the oil pressure switch , i would let the stock one alone and just drill and tap the bolt on the oil filter housing.
Yeah just pull the bulb and you back in business!!
Old 02-21-12 | 05:14 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Cartmill, there is a method for my madness.... I like the way i done it. It should be less than three weeks at the max before first time to fire it up and troubleshoot problems.. So far so good on everything. Got more done this afternoon. I know it dont look like much but it is more progress. Installed the valve covers, new gaskets, new breather hose in the middle with clamps, double checked my plugs, set them all at .028. Connected both oil catch can lines and tightened, installed the drive belt and again checked the time again. Dead on. Ran the heater control valve vacuum and ziptied it.

All for today... thanks for the compliments... its getting close!!!!!
Old 02-21-12 | 05:17 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

It's just a personal preference. I dont like them in the glove box because I actually use my glove box and don't want gauges and lines in there.

Also, it's hard to watch the gauges when they are way over there if you street tune or are troubleshooting on the street. You have to drive around with the glove box hanging open too lol.

I should show you where my boost gauge is mounted. You would love it

EDIT: Nice update. Those VCs and the PCV setup look great
Old 02-21-12 | 05:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks Stockhatch. They do indeed look better than before. I was looking through my progress yesterday and was like..... man i have done alot. They will be gleaming when everything is finished and running correctly.

Show me some pictures. The only thing i want in the glovebox is the owner manuals, past receipts, and the boost controller, well maybe some napkins. :-)

Which boost controller and why guys? I dont know. Other questions is it ok to leave the 18 pound spring in the wastagate for the first run of the motor, or buy like an 8 pound one and use the boost controller. I also need some guidance on what line goes where on the tial wastagte.. One goes to boost controller and the other to a vacuum, correct?

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!