Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 01:52 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Giving me a huge confidence boost for when I go single on my 1JZ, Oil line routing and how my TiAL waste gate will look installed on the same mani, plus I have a tru-boost. Thanks for being meticulous with all the pictures. Good job man, taking your time is paying off making sure everything is going just right.
Old 03-10-12, 02:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys thanks for all the kind words. I did use the correct size of vacuum lines for the wastegate to the solenoid. I just used the clamps for extra security. The vaccuum lines are actually about 3-4 inches away from the manifold. I took the picture before i zip tied them away from it. I mounted the aem solenoid on the strut tower next to the turbo. It look like a good place for it. Now i need to run the power to the standalone. Quick i did think about rerouting the feed line to the front. I still may do it after looking into possibly doing a 4 inch dp. This idea is still being considered.

Thanks again people for the kind words!!! Wont be long now to possibly hear this thing run. Finally!!!
Old 03-11-12, 07:41 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Guys thanks for all the kind words. I did use the correct size of vacuum lines for the wastegate to the solenoid. I just used the clamps for extra security. The vaccuum lines are actually about 3-4 inches away from the manifold. I took the picture before i zip tied them away from it. I mounted the aem solenoid on the strut tower next to the turbo. It look like a good place for it. Now i need to run the power to the standalone. Quick i did think about rerouting the feed line to the front. I still may do it after looking into possibly doing a 4 inch dp. This idea is still being considered.

Thanks again people for the kind words!!! Wont be long now to possibly hear this thing run. Finally!!!
Lex, I would recommend still using some reflective sleeving over that wastegate vacuum line. People often have problems with the rubber inside the steel braded line cracking. Even 3-4 inches away from the manifold it will be hell hot.
I had this happen, and I overboosted big time.

We're not trying to pick apart your setup here, just trying to make sure nothing comes back to bite you in the ***. :-)

Last edited by cartmill; 03-11-12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-11-12, 07:52 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoomLight
man ur car is going to idle so horribly with those big injectors. i never tuned before. so i have no idea how to tell u how to get ur car to run.

???

Post of the year.
Old 03-11-12, 08:33 PM
Bigzavs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomLight
man ur car is going to idle so horribly with those big injectors. i never tuned before. so i have no idea how to tell u how to get ur car to run.

u might have to bring it to a tuner asap.
all he has to do is re-scale the map for the increased injector size
Old 03-12-12, 05:41 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ This guy knows .

I was told the same " you car will idle like crap and you mPG will suffer" Not true it's all in the tune my car idle almost like stock and i get 27mpg with 1000cc , it can't get better than that.
Old 03-12-12, 06:10 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why im following this thread to the letter. i am closely following this build. as i am doing most of the same stuff as him. i just haven't made a build thread yet.
Old 03-12-12, 09:54 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I will try and find some locally. Thanks for the heads up. Thanks!!!
Old 03-12-12, 02:41 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

mark, i just replied to your PM. here's some more general info on general EMS injector size changes:

the AEM software has a fairly simple "change injector size" feature in which you basically just type in your original injector size (i think 1jz is 380cc?) and your new injector size (850cc?) and it calculates the fuel and changes the base fuel map by the required amount. the other supplemental fuel maps (coolant correction, air temp correction, etc) don't need to be changed because they just add a percentage of the base fuel map:
NEW INJECTORS-CURRENT INJECTORS x 100/ NEW INJECTORS
850cc - 380cc x 100 / 850 = 55.27% decrease in injection time to get back to the same fuel volume.

this is what people in this thread have been referring to as "injector scaling."
i've used haltechs for many years, and they don't have this feature (the formula is fairly simple if you think about it right) so you have to do it manually, which doesn't take much longer.
in the AEM software you just enter your CCs @ pressure and it calculates it and changes it for you. of course this isn't a 100% dead-on conversion, as every injector and engine setup is different, but it gets you close, so you should be able to just "scale" your injectors up (read: scale your fuel map back to counter the bigger injector size) and get the car to start and drive fairly easily.

credit haltech forums for the injector resizing formula (http://forums.haltech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4229)

i'm no master at this stuff, but i figured this info may help some people who want to learn about this.

Last edited by cartmill; 03-12-12 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 05:25 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This is some great info for anyone who might be going this route in the future. As for me, I am clueless on anything with the standalone. I thought i was mechanical inclined before i started. Through this process of posting comments and threads it has been a long journey. These are the comments that need to be posted on all threads....... that are helpful. Thanks again, Cartmill..... aka.. Jacob. :-)
Old 03-12-12, 05:55 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
This is some great info for anyone who might be going this route in the future. As for me, I am clueless on anything with the standalone. I thought i was mechanical inclined before i started. Through this process of posting comments and threads it has been a long journey. These are the comments that need to be posted on all threads....... that are helpful. Thanks again, Cartmill..... aka.. Jacob. :-)
You gotta put a Z on it. *Jacobz*
Old 03-13-12, 08:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Got the tranny in. What a pain. Had to turn it side ways and slide it in. Ran into a problem, the clutch fork i have is wrong, its too long. Must be for a W58. I will try and find one tomorrow. The welded fitting for the boost solenoid valve turned out great. I ended up putting the bov on the intake side of the piping. I let my buddy take it tonight to get the flange welded on. It just didnt have room on the intake side by the throttle body with the flange. The custom SC400 tranny support turned out perfect. The holes lined up perfect. I will post more pictures of it closer tomorrow. Here is some photos along the way for this evening. Enjoy!!!!

Look at far i had to tilt the motor. CRAZY!!!!

Getting it ready. The atv jack stand sucked at getting it lined up.

Cut the 02 sensors on both sides. Left the rubber in place.

Looked how close i had it...

Starter is in. And locktite.

Almost there. Thats all!!!

MORE tomorrow!!!!
Old 03-13-12, 08:23 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Those o2 sensor grommets are perfect for running an electronic cutout in the exhaust, you just run your switch wires through the grommets :-) this is my plan if I ever get any money.
3" cutout and stock cat back :-)
Old 03-14-12, 07:16 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Would it have been easier to install the clutch to the transmission then put it on bt tightening the 6 pressure plate bolts thru the access holes in the bell housing? I only inquire because i have only removed like 2 r154 trannies from supras but never installed them. So i am not clear on the installation process.
Old 03-14-12, 07:48 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That bracket that holds the fork is backwards, and it has a little spring clip on it too make sure it's there.

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!