Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 06:33 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

On the fuel rail, they were drop in injectors. I used the largest that anyone had,800cc. The only mod i did on the rail was the fittings on the end. I used a 90 degree to a barb fitting on the front side if motor. I modded the stock fuel rail feed. I grinded off the stock rubber fitting, do to not being long eniugh from the stock sc400 line. After i grinded off the rubber line, i reused the fitting. Just used new fuel lines and clamps. Does it leak, no. Is it what i wanted, not really. It works and doesnt leak. I wanted to keep the stock intake body for now. These injectors along with the tt pump supplied by the relay from battery for better volts, should accomplish my power goals of 550rwhp. The cams and standalone does nothing but help. If i dont reach this, it will still be ok. I wanted more than 450rwhp.

Thanks for the compliments on my thread. Once the car is running and tuned, i plan on modifying this thread for the pertintent info. Or i might just make another and combine the two. :-)
Old 04-04-12, 09:23 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
On the fuel rail, they were drop in injectors. I used the largest that anyone had,800cc. The only mod i did on the rail was the fittings on the end. I used a 90 degree to a barb fitting on the front side if motor. I modded the stock fuel rail feed. I grinded off the stock rubber fitting, do to not being long eniugh from the stock sc400 line. After i grinded off the rubber line, i reused the fitting. Just used new fuel lines and clamps. Does it leak, no. Is it what i wanted, not really. It works and doesnt leak. I wanted to keep the stock intake body for now. These injectors along with the tt pump supplied by the relay from battery for better volts, should accomplish my power goals of 550rwhp. The cams and standalone does nothing but help. If i dont reach this, it will still be ok. I wanted more than 450rwhp.

Thanks for the compliments on my thread. Once the car is running and tuned, i plan on modifying this thread for the pertintent info. Or i might just make another and combine the two. :-)
hmm okay. thanks. maybe i'll buy some injectors i have seen on sale in this thread. they are low impedence tho. so im going to need someone to do the resistor mod.

i really wanna see how ur car comes out. im waiting rather impatiently.
Old 04-10-12, 09:22 PM
Graymatter
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, what's the word!! Did you get that thing running yet?
Old 04-11-12, 05:54 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Still trying to figure out he wiring issue. I know we are close but how close I don't know yet. This thing has nearly made me quit. I ain't giving up. Heard it run again last night but for only a few seconds. Everything is pretty much wired in just troubleshooting some of the wiring. I can't see paying nearly 1000k bucks for the harness work.
Old 04-11-12, 06:50 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Way to stick with it, Mark. Good luck with it sir!
Old 04-11-12, 07:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Still trying to figure out he wiring issue. I know we are close but how close I don't know yet. This thing has nearly made me quit. I ain't giving up. Heard it run again last night but for only a few seconds. Everything is pretty much wired in just troubleshooting some of the wiring. I can't see paying nearly 1000k bucks for the harness work.
Me neither $1k ? ... well that is if you think you can do it .

Am sure you will figure it out and good luck !
Old 04-11-12, 07:08 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks people. Ain't throwing in the towel yet.

If only I could read Chinese!! !
Old 04-11-12, 07:34 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Ok people here goes. I am going to explain this wiring that I understand so far...

Everyone knows the SC400 gets the power for the igniter, coils, and injectors from the black 3 pin plug by the battery. Within this plug there is a wire for ground and a wire for the starter. The black/orange (2) wires on the harness side needs to be tapped into the 12 volts as well. This particular harness is located in the passenger side kick panel.

This needs to be wired to receive the 12 volts while cranking the car.

I couldn't figure or we (Cartmill) couldn't figure out how this was wired in and receiving the power, so I bypassed all of this using separate relays. These were triggered on from the IGN fuse in the driver side kick panel.

Last night we made changes (local Lexus mechanic/tuner) to the AEM to slow the fuel rate down to a bare minimum to get it to run. It was a no go, no matter what we changed, small or large increments is was a no go. We then double checked all the injectors, all 6 plugs to assure they were receiving power. We were under the impression they only received 12 volts on ONE side, NOT BOTH. My car is indeed receiving 12 volts/power to both sides of each 6 injectors.

After emailing a few people, the guru's of the electrical department on this site, they did confirm the 12 volts are normal for each side to have 12 volts, but this changed when the car is trying to crank. One of the wires receives a signal from the AEM for ground to create a pulse on and off to allow fuel to spray by the settings in the AEM.

My questions are the following.....

On the harness side of the 1JZ, does one of the black/orange wires needs to be tied into the AEM or left to the relay supplying the 12 volts?

If indeed the injectors fire, cyl1/cyl 5 should go to the same AEM pin, cyl 3/cyl 6 should go to the same AEM pin, cyl2 /cyl4 should go to the same AEM pin, where in the harness would I find each of the wires, if only the original 2 black orange wires are supplying all six? I am thinking they both need to stay connected to the 12 volts. The reason I say this, is because one wire is supplying 3, and the other wire for the other 3? Correct?

Cartmill advised this.....which makes perfect sense to me....

if you are looking at each fuel injector, you will see the black/orange wire. this should be 12V+. the black/orange wire for all 6 injectors should be T'd together in the harness and come out down by your AEM.

the other wire on each injector should be the signal (ground pulse from the AEM). this wire should be a different color for each injector, going back to the AEM for a ground pulse.

so your AEM just pulses ONE of the two injector wires, and the other wire is 12v+.

With this being said, I need to find the color for each of the injectors, and wire that to the pinout on the AEM, for each output on it? Problem solved???

Someone else chime in... I am trying to make sense of this.. I should have become an engineer in electrical versus going after a Master's in Emergency Management. :-)
Old 04-11-12, 07:51 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are on the right track!

The ECU (AEM) will/needs to ground (-) the injector circuit to open the injector plunger, and spray every rotation.

So if both sides of the injector have power(12v+), you are not making a circuit.

Each of the ECU "Pulses" is the AEM grounding (-) the circuit, completing it, and operating the injector.

Crude diagram:

12v+ --------------------
[AEM(-)/ ]--------------- [===]

12v+ --------------------
[AEM(-)-----]--------------- [===]<<<

Last edited by spoolxexo; 04-11-12 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-11-12, 08:02 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So big Black/ Orange wire "powers" (12v+) the injectors on one side.

And the AEM/Soarer injector pinout (-Ground) goes to the other side of the appropriately numbered injector.

Almost there!
Old 04-11-12, 08:12 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last night we made changes (local Lexus mechanic/tuner) to the AEM to slow the fuel rate down to a bare minimum to get it to run. It was a no go, no matter what we changed, small or large increments is was a no go.
this is exactly what i did with you on the phone last week as well. no matter what we did, the injectors seemed to either A) fire during the wrong phase and fill a cylinder up with fuel, or B) just go full ON all the time.

We then double checked all the injectors, all 6 plugs to assure they were receiving power. We were under the impression they only received 12 volts on ONE side, NOT BOTH. My car is indeed receiving 12 volts/power to both sides of each 6 injectors.
each injector clip should have 12v switched on the black/orange wire ONLY. the other wire is a pulsed GROUND. the 12v connects with the pulsed ground and pulses the injector open/closed for 1ms, 2ms, 3ms, whatever your aem map says.

After emailing a few people, the guru's of the electrical department on this site, they did confirm the 12 volts are normal for each side to have 12 volts, but this changed when the car is trying to crank. One of the wires receives a signal from the AEM for ground to create a pulse on and off to allow fuel to spray by the settings in the AEM.
did you type this incorrectly? as far as i know, only one side should have 12v

My questions are the following.....
On the harness side of the 1JZ, does one of the black/orange wires needs to be tied into the AEM or left to the relay supplying the 12 volts?
all six injectors should have 12v going to their black/orange wire. the only wire that goes back to the AEM pin should be the different color wire for each injector.

Cartmill advised this.....which makes perfect sense to me....

if you are looking at each fuel injector, you will see the black/orange wire. this should be 12V+. the black/orange wire for all 6 injectors should be T'd together in the harness and come out down by your AEM.

the other wire on each injector should be the signal (ground pulse from the AEM). this wire should be a different color for each injector, going back to the AEM for a ground pulse.

so your AEM just pulses ONE of the two injector wires, and the other wire is 12v+.

With this being said, I need to find the color for each of the injectors, and wire that to the pinout on the AEM, for each output on it? Problem solved???
exactly.

now, what i was trying to explain earlier (you used part of the info for your post that i didnt quote) is that the 1JZ stock ecu/harness fires the fuel injectors in PAIRS. there are only 3 firing signals: the cyl 1/5 signal, the cyl 3/6 signal, and the cyl 2/4 signal.

so what i have been trying to explain lately, like i posted in that Driftmotion AEMv2 thread, is that we need to make sure that the AEM is sending only 3 injector ground pulses (ie, wired and setup to fire the injectors in pairs like the stock ecu/harness is).

AS I RECALL (though i can hardly remember what happened 15 minutes ago) your AEM is setup to fire 6 injector signals separately (fully sequential) instead of 3 injector signals (semi-sequential, like your harness). i could be wrong about this, but that's what i'm thinking. this is so strange that these things should be checked.
an incorrect injector order can spray fuel into the cylinder at the wrong time and fill it up with fuel. this may not be the problem, but it would be a fairly simple check at this point.

we did tinker with your AEM map quite a bit on the phone, and apparently you and your local lexus buddy did as well, so you should get a fresh map from Aaron at driftmotion, and verify that he wired that 1jz jumper harness for 3 injector signals instead of 6.
i would talk to that guy, have him email you a fresh map already scaled for your 800cc injectors, and try again.

Last edited by cartmill; 04-11-12 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-11-12, 08:17 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a confusing diagram LOL.

Mark, you are correct that if one side of each injector is fed with 12v, and the other side of each PAIR of batch fired injectors goes to a signal wire from the AEM, you should be good to go.

So you will have three signal wires from the AEM. Each signal wire will fire two injectors at once. With the key ON, you should have 12v on BOTH injector pins to ground. And ~0v between the two injector pins. When you crank, the signal pins going to the AEM should start pulsing between 12v and ground. Get a noid test light from harbor freight or autozone and plug it into each injector plug to test for pulse.

You really need to either get a wiring guru over there, physically with the car, or send the harness off in my opinion. If nobody working on the car directly can trace the harness, and verify power feeds, you are chasing your tail and may end up burning the car down in the worst case.
Old 04-11-12, 08:29 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This is what makes this 55 pages of this thread so useful.. Thanks spoolxexo. If you only knew how it made me smile last night when i heard it run for a few seconds....

More on the wiring.

The correct firing for this 1JZGTE is as follows.... Injectors 1, and 4 are together.
Injectors 3, and 5 are together.
Injectors 2, and 6 are together.

I retraced all the wiring back to the patch harness and compared the color of all the injector wires back to the harness before the plug in on the patch. The #1 and 4, have a blk/orange for power, and a yellow wire. The #3, and 5, have a black/orange for 12 volts and a black/yellow wire. The #2 and number 6, have black/ornage for 12 volts and a solid black wire.

From the back side of the patch harness, where the 1JZ plugs in is as follows, Plug X:

#1 and #4 goes to B5, Injector 4 on the AEM V2
#3 and #5 goes to B19, injector 6 on the AEM V2
#2 and #6 splits off and goes to D1 for switched 12 volts and the other wire goes to B3 Injector 3.

Remember folks, this is a modified Honda/Acura AEM V2 with a DM patch harness.

To supply power to the AEM, I have done as follows:

Plug T has 3 wires coming from for the power. +B is switched power main relay. +B1 switched power relay. and IGSW also switched power relay. The last one is BATT for constant 12 volts from battery. I chose to run these wires to the relays for the other stuff. So far so good.
Old 04-11-12, 08:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
So big Black/ Orange wire "powers" (12v+) the injectors on one side.

And the AEM/Soarer injector pinout (-Ground) goes to the other side of the appropriately numbered injector.

Almost there!
12v common to all one side of the injectors from the +positive source. The injector being a coil with resistance , should also have 12v on the other side.. but that circuit is completed only by the ground signal (pulse) provided by the ECU. If you get a droid light , you will see it pulsating / intermittently lighting that is because the circuit is completed only every time that ground signal is present which consequently opens up the injector so fuel can be injected.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-11-12 at 08:56 AM. Reason: I stand to be corrected
Old 04-11-12, 08:39 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

AS I RECALL (though i can hardly remember what happened 15 minutes ago) your AEM is setup to fire 6 injector signals separately (fully sequential) instead of 3 injector signals (semi-sequential, like your harness). i could be wrong about this, but that's what i'm thinking. this is so strange that these things should be checked.
an incorrect injector order can spray fuel into the cylinder at the wrong time and fill it up with fuel. this may not be the problem, but it would be a fairly simple check at this point.

we did tinker with your AEM map quite a bit on the phone, and apparently you and your local lexus buddy did as well, so you should get a fresh map from Aaron at driftmotion, and verify that he wired that 1jz jumper harness for 3 injector signals instead of 6.
i would talk to that guy, have him email you a fresh map already scaled for your 800cc injectors, and try again.[/QUOTE]

Let me call DM and double check. If this is the case, we aren't too far along to hear it run at idle.

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!