Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12 | 12:03 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

mark, step up the game to O-10 son!
Old 05-25-12 | 08:35 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

That engine bay looks brand new! I wouldnt expect anything less from you though. Congrats on such a clean build. Hope to see it soon!
Old 05-25-12 | 09:35 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice brother, I only served 4 years in the military I couldn't see myself doing 20 lol.
Old 05-26-12 | 07:03 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Yes.. I will have 20 years in September. I am going to try and retire but I need to run the numbers and see what it will look like money wise. I served only 4 active, the rest is National Guard, currently E-7.
Great, Im trying to join the Air Force now but having alil issue getting past my asvab, they are extremely picky rigt now due to the economy, but the test is the only thing stopping me right now, physical part is no problem
Old 05-26-12 | 07:46 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Is this thing tuned yet?
Old 05-26-12 | 01:01 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

More updates. I tried to trouble shoot the wiring mess for sometime with the help of Cartmill. I ended running two seperate relays by the AEM. One is for the AEM and the other for the coils, ignitors, and injectors. I did this by tapping the switched 12 volts on by the IGN fuse in the driver side kick panel. Ran a wire from the battery for the both relays to supply constant 12 volts, then grounded them to a bolt nearby. If anyone is wanting to this, on the relay, 87 gets constant 12 volts form battery, 86 gets switched from IGN fuse, 30 gets power to the source, 85 is ground. Installed the shifter, added 3.4 quarts of fluid with the Redline, the shifter ****, stereo with nav, and a couple of panels.

The car does start and run, but immediately dies. But hen starts right up. I think it might be in the IACV. I still need someone to remove theirs and tell me what all goes inside theirs. I cant find anything on this 1JZ. I couldn't have done without the patient and understanding Cartmill... Another thing about the R154, I installed the new MC bushing and washer, and the shifter still has alot of play. I drove 2 other cars with the R154, and they have play also. I was thinking this would eliminate all the play. Does the 4 inch extension have anything to do with this play... Especially in 1st and 3rd. I actually put it in, and then unistalled thinking I had done something wrong...

The DP is being custom made. The flanges came in and money well spent. Hopefully this will be on by Tuesday, exhaust with gaskets installed, finishing putting panels back on, tidying up loose ends, AND POST A START UP VIDEO WITH SOME STREET PULLS.

When you use the AEM, the fuel pump is triggered by a ground, NOT by 12 volts. All I had to do, was extend my current ground.

i need more clarification. the fuel pump ecu is way on the other side of the car. can u tell me where u found the fuel pump ground near the ecu area?
Old 05-26-12 | 07:35 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Doomlight,

I bypassed the factory ECU for the fuel pump all together. I ran 10 gauge wire from the battery to a seperate relay to turn on and off the fuel pump. Since I was using the TT fuel pump, everyone said to run it this way to provide more volts without a drop. I triggered the ground from the relay to the above black wire to the AEM. The AEM triggers my fuel pump by a negative. I still have it wired from a switched 12 volt source inside the car, then triggered to the AEM. I would still say you can do this, just find the ground on the fuel pump relay and tie it in. I dont know which color off hand to tell you which it is. Contact cartmill or Quicksc4 by PM. They will prolly know.
Old 05-26-12 | 07:38 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
Great, Im trying to join the Air Force now but having alil issue getting past my asvab, they are extremely picky rigt now due to the economy, but the test is the only thing stopping me right now, physical part is no problem

They make ASVAB study guides. My step son has one as we speak. I am trying to get him to join any branch of his choice, as long as he joins. I told him AF, but the overall decision is his. GL and keep at it. It will come....
Old 05-26-12 | 07:43 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Is this thing tuned yet?

Man, I have been slacking on the tuning thing. I need to do this ASAP. My wife has been wanting to go and its hard to get both of us off at the same time. My garage door also broke completely, so I had to set my priorities. That was $635 unexpected bucks.

Back to story, it should be tuned in the next two weeks. I have a 72 hour OT check coming...

I am also tired of driving it at 6 pounds of boost.. It is wanting more, especially in third and fourth gear... To add to this, one of my valve covers has a crack seeping oil down behind the cam gears. I have ordered the new covers and havent received them yet, along with a new turbo blanket. The one I had started to flake and look like crap. So it had to go. This was another reason the car hasnt been tuned. Waiting on valve cover on passenger side. Its been sitting for over a week all cleaned up, ready for new part....

Dont worry, I will post pictures of the old versus the new.
Old 05-26-12 | 09:42 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

dang. how did it crack?
Old 05-26-12 | 11:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Still going strong i see... Nice work
Old 05-27-12 | 06:57 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by DoomLight
dang. how did it crack?
I am not sure how it cracked. maybe overtightened or from old age. I need this in, so i can get this tuned asap. i am ready to see some hp!!
Old 05-27-12 | 04:44 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

They make ASVAB study guides. My step son has one as we speak. I am trying to get him to join any branch of his choice, as long as he joins. I told him AF, but the overall decision is his. GL and keep at it. It will come....
Thanks for the kind words, i have a fe books already jus making ure i read it from front to back a few times before i retake my test.
Old 05-28-12 | 07:27 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I am still unhapy with the R154 and its first gear. I need to know if the extension I have done along with many others, have had problems with it going into first gear. Once the car barely starts rolling in first it stays in and seems to be normal. Let me rephrase, it goes into first or I think it does, but when I let the clutch out a little, it will grind. If I hold the shifter into first, and let the clutch out, it does fine. I am thinking it is due to the four inch extension and the angle of the extension. The extension seems to be throwing it off...

I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem or is it the R154 I bought? I do have possible access to another built R154 and wanted to clarify this problem..

Lastly, would me redoing the extension an extend the whole housing solve this problem? Is this why more people are doing this mod instead of the extension of the shifter itself?

I need this problem solved. Thanks
Old 05-30-12 | 09:04 PM
1cleen1JZ
Driver

very nice. waiting on your tune with more boost.

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!