Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 10:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Stock lines I believe is between -4AN and -6AN lines. If you don't want to touch your current -6 an feed , then just install another -6 an for the second pump and let it go to the other end of the fuel rail. Otherwise , go at least -8 an feed and split it into two -6an going to each end of fuel rail. The more fuel you can flow and supply your engine , less danger of getting lean and damaging your engine. So take out any part of the fuel system that will impede flow of fuel. Overkill on your fuel system is the way to go if you can do it. That is what had been told to me by BL when I was building my red dragon fuel system for which I have a Weldon 2345a and stock TT pump. (TT pump just because I dont want any noise for cruising and at WOT Weldon kicks in and pump noise should be drowned by exhaust ).

Use these figures as a fuel line sizing standard. They have incorporated safety room on these figures .. but it is what you will find if you google "Fuel Line Size for Horsepower"

* Up to 250 HP = 5/16" or -04 AN
* Up to 375 HP = 3/8" or -06 AN
* Up to 700 HP = 1/2" or -08 AN
* Up to 1000 HP = 5/8" or -10 AN
* Up to 1500 HP = 3/4" or -12 AN

If you use a return-style regulator, you will also need a return line from the regulator back to the tank. The size of the return line is dependent on the size of the pump you are using, regardless of the engine's horsepower output. The return line must have limited or NO pressure in it. In most cases, the minimum return line size will match that of the supply line, but a larger return line is sometimes preferred.

Use these ratings to decide your return line sizing based upon fuel pump output:

* Up to 45 GPH = 5/16" or -04 AN
* Up to 90 GPH = 3/8" or -06 AN
* Up to 250 GPH = 1/2" or -08 AN
* Up to 450 GPH = 5/8" or -10 AN
* Up to 900 GPH = 3/4"or -12 AN

Last edited by gerrb; 05-14-13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 10:09 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good info. Where did you get the information provided above. I want to make sure I understand this info. How can the -6 be rated at that and me having way beyond that now? That's where I get loss. Everything else makes sense.
Old 05-14-13, 10:29 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My fuel shop that I get all my pumps from ( high flow fuel ) say they have customers running -6 line with dual pumps and stock feed line as return making close to 1000rwhp. Maybe those numbers above are for e85 applications which would make more sense. I think you should be ok with -6an feed line with two pumps. He also stated that the chart above looks like its for carburetor applications sense they only require 8-15psi opposed 30-50psi on a efi system. Just passing on information from my source.... everyone has there own logic to it tho..
Old 05-14-13, 10:31 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Good info. Where did you get the information provided above. I want to make sure I understand this info. How can the -6 be rated at that and me having way beyond that now? That's where I get loss. Everything else makes sense.
Google -> "Fuel Line Size and Horsepower " , you will see many sites with that info.

True , your -6an actually is providing you the volume for your 500rwhp car. The figures stated on the table takes into consideration SAFETY . They want you to have more than actually being used just not to get lean. Just like, why is the MKIV rated 320rwhp and yet the fuel lines they installed can supply a 500rwhp volume of fuel. Why didn't they used -4AN size lines instead of -5AN lines. Again on fuel .. more is better in this case. That is at least how it was explained to me when I couldn't decide on my fuel system.

Just like when I talked to Weldon , they will tell you that their -2345a needs a -10AN RETURN which is freaking huge but if you talk to these known supra builders a -6an RETURN is big enough. I am sure there is a reason why they want you to go big and they have done their research on it.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-14-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 10:57 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Both of the explanations make perfect sense. I think I might just install the other TT pump and get a slight retune. Who knows, I might even go way beyond the expectations on the dyno. It would be sweet for this BW to spool about 500 rpm's sooner. I am hoping the new TT Auto LSD, will help this somehow. I will posting pictures of the install tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 05-14-13, 11:42 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
My fuel shop that I get all my pumps from ( high flow fuel ) say they have customers running -6 line with dual pumps and stock feed line as return making close to 1000rwhp. Maybe those numbers above are for e85 applications which would make more sense. I think you should be ok with -6an feed line with two pumps. He also stated that the chart above looks like its for carburetor applications sense they only require 8-15psi opposed 30-50psi on a efi system. Just passing on information from my source.... everyone has there own logic to it tho..
^^^^^This
Old 05-14-13, 11:51 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

FWIW , since you are adding another pump , you might as well use E85 (PTFE) friendly lines and fittings even if you are not planning to use E85 for now. The price is the same and even cheaper depending on where you get the line and fittings. I get most of my lines and fittings at anfittingsdirect.com . So when you , one day decide to try E85 , you are good to go and not have added costs again. You never know. When you become a boost junkie, you always want for more.

Also , Richard did a good job on that dual pump install. Just want to add something.. my $0.2 , keep that end of the return hose far away from the TT pump socks inlets. Cut it shorter maybe but make sure return fuel still goes into the slosh tank. Whatever you do , keep it away from the pump inlets. Rushing return fuel can create bubbles and you don't want the pump taking in air instead of fuel.... again can cause lean spikes. Another info I learned just talking from these well known supra builders and Weldon people about fuel systems.
Old 05-14-13, 12:01 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

It would be sweet for this BW to spool about 500 rpm's sooner. I am hoping the new TT Auto LSD, will help this somehow. I will posting pictures of the install tomorrow or Thursday.
The mac valve would help your spool.

I wouldn't run more than 22 psi on 93 with that setup if you wanna keep it together.

600whp on 66mm on pump gas, on stock 1jz with 264 cams is not gonna be easy/may not happen it's not realistic imo that 2jzgte territory.

If you really want 600whp , i would pour some C16 in there and strap it down
Old 05-14-13, 01:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Now that is a thought. Now I need to call Zen Motors and see if the lines they put in are E85 friendly. Now that I have the volume of fuel, well almost, I might tune it for E85. Now I wish that I had a selector for the fuel difference. I am limited to the AEM V2 on fuel setup. I wish it automatically detected which fuel I put in. But in the back of my mind, I still can use race gas and see what happens. I wonder how long the stock headgasket will hold with that level of power... I think we will be getting close to maximum here folks for a daily driver.

I understand that E85 requires about 30% more volume of fuel, with this being said, I am assuming even with the lower RPM's with the new TT rear end, my gas mileage will be worse. Is it really worth the fuel to run strictly E85? It smells like corn, burns cool as ever, but not everyone sells it.... Thats my biggest problem...

I need you all's opinion....
Old 05-14-13, 01:47 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^ You my friend can do just that with the v2! The software is out I believe for flex fuel for the V2 so I would consider doing that while your doing your fuel system. Sure its going to be a few extra bucks for fittings and the gm flex fuel sensor but would be well worth it!

For that hanger, I realized that after I installed the hanger and what I did was cut the line shorter like you said!
Old 05-14-13, 01:52 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

On the V2 is that something I can download online or is it an option for purchase? My luck I will have to purchase it. If so how much? But still considering doing this for E85 only. Again not available every where. Yeah we have it but I dont want to stuck somewhere where I cant find it but with the new software it may be my answer to both. How is the mileage compared to 93 octane if you stay out of it???
Old 05-14-13, 02:07 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

On the V2 is that something I can download online or is it an option for purchase? My luck I will have to purchase it. If so how much? But still considering doing this for E85 only. Again not available every where. Yeah we have it but I dont want to stuck somewhere where I cant find it but with the new software it may be my answer to both. How is the mileage compared to 93 octane if you stay out of it???
I believe its just upgrading your version of AEMTuner and no purchase needed. That's the other reason why I stayed with pump because I don't want to be stuck somewhere with no E85 and around here, its scares lol But with the new v2 software update I might consider it my self sense you can pump anything and the map will adjust according. As for millage on e85, no idea.. Omar could answer that question sense hes had a setup with it.
Old 05-14-13, 02:11 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Yes you can do flex fuel with the V2.

Brad was testing the Beta on saturday when i called you, it's call the V3.

It's not out for the public yet only certain shops and tuner have access to it.

If you can do flex fuel you will be fine.

You will need bigger injectors some ID1000 will get you 700whp on E85 with some good flowing pumps.

My na-t 701 setup on E85 get the same MPG with my 400whp gte SC on 93 octane .

Both cars get 250 miles on full tanks.

I wouldn't tune it till you get the V3 software, upgrade the pumps, injectors, fuel filters,fuel rail and go from there.
Old 05-14-13, 02:22 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

When do you think the V3 will be out?

Will Brad email this and send it to me on a thumb drive, of course a fee will be accessed.

I first need to see if the lines Zen Motors installed are E85 compatible. I am assuming they are. I really dont know.

If the lines are a go for E85, I might rock the new rear end for a while, until I can get my hands on the new V3. Then and only then I will go for a retune. I really dont want 700, but 600 I think is attainable with my current setup without changing out the injectors and so on. Again, I am only going by what I have read on here and what has been posted from others. I think with all my currect setup and dual TT pumps, and E85, I can get 600. I dont want to push the head gasket or bottom end too much.. Boost is so addictive now!!! I love it.

So you are saying, that even with the volume of E85, not to retune unitl I get the new verison of the V3? Could I also as an option, tune for E85 if I meet all the requirements, and save that map, and still save the 93 octane I have for now? I will have to carry my laptop with me until the new verison is out. I just want to be clear, thats all. Thanks for explaining in lamin terms.
Old 05-14-13, 02:59 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Stock lines I believe is between -4AN and -6AN lines. If you don't want to touch your current -6 an feed , then just install another -6 an for the second pump and let it go to the other end of the fuel rail. Otherwise , go at least -8 an feed and split it into two -6an going to each end of fuel rail. The more fuel you can flow and supply your engine , less danger of getting lean and damaging your engine. So take out any part of the fuel system that will impede flow of fuel. Overkill on your fuel system is the way to go if you can do it. That is what had been told to me by BL when I was building my red dragon fuel system for which I have a Weldon 2345a and stock TT pump. (TT pump just because I dont want any noise for cruising and at WOT Weldon kicks in and pump noise should be drowned by exhaust ).

Use these figures as a fuel line sizing standard. They have incorporated safety room on these figures .. but it is what you will find if you google "Fuel Line Size for Horsepower"

* Up to 250 HP = 5/16" or -04 AN
* Up to 375 HP = 3/8" or -06 AN
* Up to 700 HP = 1/2" or -08 AN
* Up to 1000 HP = 5/8" or -10 AN
* Up to 1500 HP = 3/4" or -12 AN

If you use a return-style regulator, you will also need a return line from the regulator back to the tank. The size of the return line is dependent on the size of the pump you are using, regardless of the engine's horsepower output. The return line must have limited or NO pressure in it. In most cases, the minimum return line size will match that of the supply line, but a larger return line is sometimes preferred.

Use these ratings to decide your return line sizing based upon fuel pump output:

* Up to 45 GPH = 5/16" or -04 AN
* Up to 90 GPH = 3/8" or -06 AN
* Up to 250 GPH = 1/2" or -08 AN
* Up to 450 GPH = 5/8" or -10 AN
* Up to 900 GPH = 3/4"or -12 AN

Thanks Mark, and Jerry...great information, bookmarked for future builds!

steve

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!