Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 05:31 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah a lot of info helped my build. luckily i have a good tuner. once i get the a/c to work. i wont have the stalling problem. sometimes it happens to me. but its rare that it falls on its face and stalls.
Old 07-07-13, 11:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
The sensor is only a month old. I thought the same thing and I kept the old sensor. Its like the car lost all the adjustments the local tuner had made. The AEM gauge is one only a year old and is digital.
You got that laptop connected yet to your ECU ? I am waiting

These are the reasons why I doubt the map you sent me is the one on your ECU right now ..

One , you said that your car idles at around 850rpm, but that map pegs the idle at around 1075rpm at warmed up temp of 176degrees F

Your O2 Feedback Control is OFF . Not unless your fuel map have been perfectly dialed in for every rpm and load points which takes a lot of time to do , I wonder why that 02 feedback control is off. One thing I can think of is someone was meddling / adjusting your idle % vs Target map and had to turn it off and forgot to turn it back on.

That 02 Feedback Target map is used by the ECU to adjust fuel and bring your AFR close to what is written on that map based on the current afr and figures given by the 02 sensor to your ECU. That's another reason why I told you to make sure that O2 sensor is good otherwise we will be chasing our tails.

I wonder why a couple of maps are not even set .. just like your Boost Fuel Trim

If you don't get me later when you call buddy , that means I was out on a dinner date and will call you back . You know the rules when I am on a dinner date with my wife ... .
Old 07-07-13, 01:42 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I sent you the new map. When you get a chance, look it over. LMK how and what needs to be tweaked. I compared it to the very good Youtube video.
Old 07-08-13, 05:48 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I will help you in as much as I can man , Damn, you paid I believe $1400 for your original tune and your car sat at Zen for at least 7 weeks and now we can't even find a copy of the original tune. Who ever tinkered with your tune might have a copy. He should have saved the original one so you can always revert to it.

Values on some maps of your current tune are out of whack and need work . Let me give you one sample.

These numbers in green have no place on that ignition (timing) map. And part of that Zone is your idle . I bet your AFR right now on idle is crap . You should avoid big dips just like one I circled on the 3D map. Changes in values from cell to cell should be subtle. Open your Windows 8 laptop and load the file you sent me with 2nd on the filename so you see the figures clearly I am referring to.

I will put back the numbers where they should be , set some fuel trims , set your O2 Feedback Sensor and enable 02 feedback control. Send you the file and you get a laptop that will enable you to load the tune. Always save with a descriptive name your last map so you can always revert back to it. I am going to make small changes at a time so you can catch up with me and learn why I did the change so eventually you know how things work around your ECU and your car's tune.

We would have to bring back your tune to where it used to be first. I wan't to make sure you have the right AFRs otherwise all the other changes will be to no avail. At this point , I am groping in the dark, If we can't get hold of your original tune for which your AFRs should have been well dialed in, would have to modify your current map till we get the right AFRs. Being away far from the car , we would need to set logs on the ECU so I see exactly what is happening. IF you want , we can set your laptop which is connected to your ECU so I can access it remotely and work on your tune while you observe what I am doing . But , lets do it the hard way for now , I make changes, send it to you and explain things. I want you to learn your way around your AEM ecu and the ins and outs of your tuning software and your particular tune.

Last edited by gerrb; 07-08-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 08:02 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks Jerry. I appreciate any help right now. This idling and rich condition is driving me crazy. I will see if I can find a Windows 8 laptop. I will call you tomorrow afternoon. Again Jerry I appreciate any further help.
Old 07-09-13, 04:18 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

No problem buddy. Btw , I don't know how long you have been running very rich but you better watch out the condition of your oil . Too much fuel that is un burnt may wash down your cylinders . It may go down into your oil pan and make your oil less effective and eventually may spun a bearing.

I will send back your current map with some changes before noon. Call me when you are ready , I will explain to you what I did before loading it. Remember always save and rename your old / last map with a descriptive name so you can easily remember which is which. I also hope you get hold of your original tune.You still have exactly the same setup , same components.. so I don't see any reason why it needs major changes. We might be able to set your AFRs but your MBTs can only be derived best from a dyno. And that original tune of yours have been derived from a dyno. So your best bet right now is get hold of the original tune. Reload it and go from there.

Last edited by gerrb; 07-09-13 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-09-13, 06:48 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Mark - I have analyzed the two data logs you sent me and the AFR values are consistent with what you saw on the AEM software while we were on the phone and car is running.. It was really rich at around 10 AFR . But remember the AEM gauge was showing us around 13.5 AFR . The ECU and Gauge are using exactly the same 02 sensor and we have confirmed through a component swap that the sensor is good and yet gauge and ecu have a huge difference in AFR values.

These make me conclude that

a) The guy who worked on the map , didn't do the 02 sensor calibration on the ECU . He probably just chosed AEM (gauge) EUGO sensor and thought everything was good. The O2 gains should have been adjusted so that AEM gauge and AEM ecu are getting more or less the same AFR values and not 10 lets say on the EMS and 13.5 on the gauge.

b) Because of that , the AFR value being used by the ECU to do its math for the other maps is all screwed up because it is starting with the wrong value in the first place. Like you have been telling me your gauge AFR goes out of whack .. like it goes very lean, that is because the ECU is cutting back on the fuel just because it is seeing a rich mixture on its end.

Here is one of the data logs.. most of the AFR hovers around 10 . Check the values I encircled in yellow .

As I suggested , the best thing for you right now is get hold of a copy of your original tune otherwise you will be forced to get a totally new tune. Your current map has a lot of trims that are not even set. You yourself had already said that you are getting fuel on your catch can . I believe that is a sign of running very rich ... watch closely the condition of that oil of yours buddy .. .. I hate to hear from you that you spun a bearing.

I have a feeling that there is even nothing wrong with your original tune since the components in your setup are still exactly the same. Based on our conversation , I believe when you started experiencing an erratic behaviour on your car , you thought it was your tune so you asked someone to work on it. . At around same time , you were having problem on that exhaust manifold leak ....that could have been the cause of the car's erratic behaviour and not it was because of your tune.

Well before we can go any further , I guess first , since you got that manifold leak again , you have to resolve it since it may introduce unwanted air into your O2 sensor and gives you bad readings. And then we reload your original tune which I hope you can get from whoever worked on it or from Dan .

Good Luck buddy on that manifold exhaust leak . I hope you get it resolved once and for all . I know that is a pain to work on.
Old 07-09-13, 07:49 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Gerry, I have looked over the spacer for my T4 online. Are all the T4 spacers and gaskets the same? Talking about the bolt pattern across in measurements, etc?
Old 07-09-13, 07:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I also wanted to thank you for taking the amount of time you have in trying to resolve this issue. I maybe be forced to sell and buy a 2JZ bottom end and start over... :-)

I just need to justify it to my wife.. LOL
Old 07-09-13, 07:59 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Gerry, I have looked over the spacer for my T4 online. Are all the T4 spacers and gaskets the same? Talking about the bolt pattern across in measurements, etc?
If you are referring to the measurements , yes all T4 flanges should have same sizes.. but they may differ in thickness.

I also wanted to thank you for taking the amount of time you have in trying to resolve this issue. I maybe be forced to sell and buy a 2JZ bottom end and start over... :-)

I just need to justify it to my wife.. LOL
no problem buddy... for now I believe , we just have to get your original tune and reload it once you have resolved that manifold leak of yours . Looks to me your current map is not doing you any good. Make sure you resolve what the real problem is on that leak , otherwise it will just recur .

Last edited by gerrb; 07-10-13 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-09-13, 09:05 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Well , this is something that just came to my mind and something to think about. Maybe the people who knows better can help us here. Why is your exhaust manifold leaking on the flange area again. You had it a couple of weeks ago. The first time , your manifold flange was warped. Now, you are feeling that exhaust leak once again. Is it because of the quality of the manifold ? How many are getting same problem because of this manifold ? Or is it because your exhaust gas temperature (EGT) are getting extraordinarily high which is causing this problem ?

Can high exhaust gas temperature be attributed to bad tune like being lean on WOT ? This being lean on WOT is a situation that maybe happening in your car due to the fact that your 02 sensor is not properly calibrated in your CAL , the ECU sees your condition to be rich so it regulates the fuel when in fact it is really lean (remember your gauge AFR registers higher numbers than what the ECU sees as we have observed ) . Or can high EGTs be also caused by bad ignition timing ? These are something beyond me .. lol .. I need to hear the right answer too .

Last edited by gerrb; 07-10-13 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-13-13, 11:40 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont jump to the 2j yet!
Old 07-14-13, 10:52 PM
JoshWhite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, this may be a bit off topic, but I had a quick question for you experienced modders that live down south. In your opinion, what is the best/one of the best tuning places in the southeast? I'm located about 10 minutes from Metro ATL, and I've been looking to find a good and reliable tuner for my '94 SC300.

And best of luck to the OP with his tuning issues!
Old 07-15-13, 05:17 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I think Batlground did a overall good job. Try them. The problem is they are appointment only. They will not answer the phone and they keep the gate closed so trying to schedule an appointment could be kinda hard. Check out the Southest section. Post up there. Should be plenty of feedback to help your decision making. GL.
Old 07-15-13, 05:21 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Batlground did a overall good job. Try them. The problem is they are appointment only. They will not answer the phone and they keep the gate closed so trying to schedule an appointment could be kinda hard. Check out the Southest section. Post up there. Should be plenty of feedback to help your decision making. GL.
Then i would never give them my business.

Find somebody else

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!