Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

"economical" ...(or broke) meticulous college student daily driver build

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 12:46 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greens14
made some abomination 50/50 tail lights. which ive started redoing( waiting for my new set for more down time)

they fit pretty weak. but im too cheap to get spacers so ill go with really fat tires. which means ill need a braided power steering line
Try to get some 95/97 tails. Those are ugly. Who cares if your sunk, you'll look more ridiculous with fat tires. Why do you need braided line? Oh your door isn't aligned i'm sure you know.

i just dont feel the need to dump money into something that might eventually be sold or wont be tracked aggressively. i'm highly conscious of what to spend.
You're spending quite a bit of money already. Why do you want a nardi wheel? 5spd are fun, but its not worth buying the transmission and all that stuff and swapping. If you planning on selling it down the road, it won't really add much value to it.

Originally Posted by account2x
I just don't know. It looks like you're turning a nice clean SC into a ricer 240.
Ahahah, somewhat true, all the 240 people are now moving onto the SC platform. I did 3 years ago though.

Last edited by abounly; 01-04-12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-04-12, 12:56 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ my door is aligned, its actually just open. I hopped out and snapped some shots. And I used a nardi because I dont use low quality parts. I've seen some cheap steering wheels bend/break etc. Id much rather pay the extra 40 bucks over an ebay wheel for the real deal. I also prefer to drive 5 speed cars, I think $700 for swap components isnt outrageous; I'm over selling the car, If so i would've left everything as it and only gave the car mechanical attention. Also, yea i like grip what can i say? if the sidewall isnt rolling upon turning im ok with the fat tires. As for the 240 comment, I guess it is what it is? I suppose not owning a car at an earlier time makes me lame? my goal isnt to appease anyone but myself. I still appreciate all the feedback though.

Last edited by greens14; 01-04-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-04-12, 01:07 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Naw, its not you its just that the SC is getting cheaper and people are hopping over from the 240 scene to the SC.

Not sure where you're getting $700 for a complete swap. I spent about 350 for my swap since the 5spd parts were "free". Majority of people prefers to drive a 5spd car. Thats why i swapped mine, then shortly I got bored and sold it. If anything swap it early before you get bored of the SC, i swapped mine after 2-3 years and it was too late I was already tired of the SC

As for the steering wheel, why not keep it stock? Unless you do not like the 4 spoke, doubt anyone does.

Paul walker icon doesn't help either
Old 01-04-12, 01:31 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

GASP! youre right. lol, paul walker avatar is an inside joke from zilvia/ az240sx. And yea 700 for 5 speed swap with resurfaced lightened fidanza flywheel exedy clutch etc etc. Its a pretty good deal for a W tranny, considering I dont ever plan on going high hp. And yea i cant STAND the 4 spoke steering wheel. The way i see it is, i picked up my used nardi for 80 bucks no horn button, while is see black 4 spoke steering wheels for about 120+ average. Black 3 spoke wheels are 200+ ... So if i pick up the nardi, sell the old one dirt cheap, after hub costs and everything im only set back about 50 bucks total.... i should probably pick up a quick release though since people like to steel steering wheels.

and also i have a really bad experience with all of my lexus models and power steering. my hpps hose blew into two pieces last time i had 245s upfront. same thing for my 1gs. I figure i may as upgrade it asap as i may not luck out next time and find one locally for 10 bucks!

edit: actually it wasnt like a whole different car when you did the W swap? I've driven a friends IS300 which was a night and day difference from my car. I'm not sure if it was just controlling the revs or if thats the vvti?
Old 01-04-12, 01:40 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

actually it wasnt like a whole different car when you did the W swap? I've driven a friends IS300 which was a night and day difference from my car. I'm not sure if it was just controlling the revs or if thats the vvti?
It was more fun to drive. But my third gear was messed up so i had to baby shift into 3rd gear everytime. Is300 is more fun because it is lighter/better handling/vvti as well. But driving manual when slammed is was kinda hard but you get use to it. I also did it because i've never done such a big job and everyone told me I couldn't. Plus it was fun.
Old 01-04-12, 02:11 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Wow that's horrible news! I thought they weighed about the same. I'm already at the roadblock of waiting for my friend to give me the ok to use his garage to swap em out. ...maybe ill skip out the five speed swap entirely.

Reason I'm so cost conscious is cause I've made the decision to buy a condo this fall while the prices are still down ...if its not gonna be a blast to drive no reason to bother
Old 01-04-12, 02:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Was the car resprayed or what? Original Lexus black onyx (202) has no clearcoat... it's a single stage paint.
Old 01-04-12, 03:58 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Was the car resprayed or what? Original Lexus black onyx (202) has no clearcoat... it's a single stage paint.
Oh really?! Thanks for the info! Ill check engine bay to verify paint code. I'm interested in a car facts since I got it so cheap. Title is clean but I'm a skeptic.
Old 01-04-12, 04:13 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Oh really?! Thanks for the info! Ill check engine bay to verify paint code. I'm interested in a car facts since I got it so cheap. Title is clean but I'm a skeptic.
Is the car black? Lexus only used one color that was black. Black onyx. 202.
Old 01-04-12, 04:29 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm. i really do have no idea what youre talking about? at first i thought i could gasp but ? bad modifications ? because i dont like chrome im a ricer? i suppose this is over my head.
Everything?
half-baked two tone interior
ricer yellow fog light plastic
nasty tail lights
mismatched console lights
oem rims - worse even oem nissan not even lexus rims

The only mod that's debatable is blacked out headlights which some people like but personally think look ugly on an SC.

Point blank It doesn't look "clean"
Old 01-04-12, 04:41 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Is the car black? Lexus only used one color that was black. Black onyx. 202.
Hmmm then i suppose it was resprayed, it shouldve held up much better because this clear coat failure is from hell:

and roof is even worse.

Originally Posted by account2x
Everything?
half-baked two tone interior
ricer yellow fog light plastic
nasty tail lights
mismatched console lights
oem rims - worse even oem nissan not even lexus rims

The only mod that's debatable is blacked out headlights which some people like but personally think look ugly on an SC.

Point blank It doesn't look "clean"
and wow, you dislike the things i like most. thank god its not your car right?
Old 01-04-12, 04:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

You sure its clearcoat failure and not oxidation?
Old 01-04-12, 04:50 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

positive. its down to the base coat. i dont know how a respray could last such a short duration especially since i'd assume it couldnt have been done within five years of its original purchase (full coverage usually).. the arizona sun is a formidable source of destruction for automotive paint but this is excessive.
Old 01-05-12, 10:28 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you are doing the labor yourself..........I think your better off replacing the whole control arms than just the bushing. I considered just buying bushings but then your looking at the costs associated with the downtime at somoeone's shop with your wheels off, up in the air, waiting for some kid to to burn the old bushings out and then pressing new bushings in. So I just bought new ones with bushings pressed in already and installed them.
Old 01-06-12, 05:16 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to get used to account2x's posts. Although the dude is brilliant and I can honestly say I would have never gotten through my 98 cluster swap without him, I disagree with about 95% of what he says.

It looks to me like you're heading in the right direction and you've got a good idea of why needs to be done. Some poeple on this forum just don't understand what it's like to be a poor college student or starving artist in my case.

Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: "economical" ...(or broke) meticulous college student daily driver build