Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 06:49 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Damn , it wasn't as easy as I thought . You have to be very careful of metal pieces going inside. I had to tap them up side down so the metal pieces falls to the ground instead. And did a lot of frequent vacuuming. Just to make sure , tomorrow I would do a lot of rinsing with water , carb cleaner and compressed air .

Here they are .. finally , I can connect my catchcan lines .

Old 08-04-13, 10:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Every thing back together , now my catchcan lines are doing their jobs...test drove the car around town , no oil leaks from the valve covers . Finally I am done with those valve cover fittings which I have been putting aside for a while now.

Old 08-04-13, 11:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Previous picture seems to show that the -10an line is touching the turbo exhaust housing. Actually it is more than an inch above the housing .

The other is perfect , right before the nitrous lines. I initially thought of using -12an catch can lines and am glad I didn't otherwise I would have had a problem on that side .

Old 08-04-13, 06:43 PM
QGs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok gerrb, I spent like 3 hours reading this thread from the beginning to now. . Holly cow,,, all the things I want to do with my sc you did, all the tools I need you have. .. what in the world is your occupation, I'm mean I never seen any body do the things you did. .I hand it to you buddy. . You are what we call in NY Boss..lol.. keep it up. .I can't wait to see the red Dragon running. .amazing work. .my sc still have the stock twins on my gte..smh..I have to catch up at least half way..
Old 08-04-13, 07:20 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Gerry, what a nice job on those. On the intake side of the valver cover, where is that AN line venting to? Kinda hard to see it on my cell. Car looks amazing. I wouldn't even trade it for an MKIV. It looks that great man. When I get back from second vacation, I want to come down there and see it personally. What's the status of the tuning lessons and your car being tuned? I am about ready to pick up those tuning 101 books. Lol

Btw, can you feed my outside dogs daily while I am gone and give them fresh water? Lol
Old 08-04-13, 07:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

always loved this engine bay.. How in the world did u get or create the clear engine cover..
Old 08-05-13, 05:38 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by QGs300
Ok gerrb, I spent like 3 hours reading this thread from the beginning to now. . Holly cow,,, all the things I want to do with my sc you did, all the tools I need you have. .. what in the world is your occupation, I'm mean I never seen any body do the things you did. .I hand it to you buddy. . You are what we call in NY Boss..lol.. keep it up. .I can't wait to see the red Dragon running. .amazing work. .my sc still have the stock twins on my gte..smh..I have to catch up at least half way..
Thank your sir for the compliments. I am just like most of the people on this forum , one who works hard to make a living and enjoy the little which we work hard for. The car runs fine now up to 17lbs of boost which is quite a good power already for daily driving. I want to turn it up with flex fuel and nitrous but AEM v2 firmware upgrade ain't out yet. I am tempted to grab the ProEFI, am tired of waiting. Am pretty sure time will come you will get yours just like the way you like it.

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Gerry, what a nice job on those. On the intake side of the valver cover, where is that AN line venting to? Kinda hard to see it on my cell. Car looks amazing. I wouldn't even trade it for an MKIV. It looks that great man. When I get back from second vacation, I want to come down there and see it personally. What's the status of the tuning lessons and your car being tuned? I am about ready to pick up those tuning 101 books. Lol

Btw, can you feed my outside dogs daily while I am gone and give them fresh water? Lol
Thanks Mark , both left and right valve cover lines go to the catch can . And another line from the catch can to the turbo intake for scavenging purposes. The vacuum created in the turbo helps pull the pressure out from the crankcase . The element inside a well designed catch can will separate the oil which drops at the bottom of the can and air free of oil (theoretically) recirculated back into the engine. Too much pressure at the crankcase blows your seals which starts your oil leaks that is why a vacuum source like the turbo inlet helps pull that pressure out . A lot of catch can do not have the return line to the turbo which makes them mere oil collectors keeping the engine bay clean. The original OEM 2jzgte engine design as far as I remember has that exhaust valve cover outlet ported back to the turbo inlet .

Learned a lot with my tuning lessons. I can mess around with my cars since there is no fear of breaking someone else car. It's the danger associated with it. No room for mistake. Well, I have no plans of tuning other people's car so no danger for me anyway. I can send you the books if you want. I am done with them. They teach you the basic principles of EFI and tuning but nothing about your AEM v2. My car is well tuned up to 17lbs right now , pump gas .. I will turn it up once AEM v2 flex fuel firmware update is out , that is if I haven't bought yet the ProEFI... getting tired of waiting. Besides , with the nitrous, which is tricky , I would ask a real pro with experience with direct port nitrous to tune it . I ain't taking the risk. Too much money to blow up in smoke at a fraction of a second with one mistake.

Damn , leave a bag full of food and a drum full of water out there so they don't starve and thirst while you are gone ..lmaol .

Originally Posted by tmf2004
always loved this engine bay.. How in the world did u get or create the clear engine cover..
thanks .. I bought that cover more than 3 years ago. They don't produce them anymore. A month ago I called the place where I bought it and said one of the employee was willing to sell his personal piece but double the freaking price. They wan't $400 ... crazy !

Last edited by gerrb; 08-05-13 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 06:07 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Today, I ordered a ProEFI system since I thought of selling the AEM v2 and this evening AEM Tuner 3.2 and firmware 02v02 had been released .. .

Decided to upgrade my firmware and install the new AEM Tuner , play with it while my new EMS isn't around yet.

Upgraded my map for the SC and started to play around with the tables . AEM now have Engine Failsafes like coolant , oil pressure , fuel pressure and O2 lean out protection . With its flex fuel capability and some failsafes , it will more than serve the needs of most people .

Old 08-05-13, 07:49 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sir gerrb, I never get tired lookin at your Red Mamba's engine bay.. Really shows your hard work..
At least you finally got the EMS you've always wanted.. keep us posted..
Old 08-06-13, 07:53 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

So basically the aem matches the features of what the pro efi brings to the table ?
Old 08-06-13, 08:33 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PoGikoSc4
Sir gerrb, I never get tired lookin at your Red Mamba's engine bay.. Really shows your hard work..
At least you finally got the EMS you've always wanted.. keep us posted..
when will we get yours done ? Damn , why is it that hours after I ordered my proEFI , these firmware came out ? For the purpose of this car , I could have lived with AEM v2 ... impatience doesn't pay off !

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
So basically the aem matches the features of what the pro efi brings to the table ?
No sir. There is more to it with proEFI than the AEM v2 . It's not just the flex fuel thing or the failsafes incorporated now on the AEM v2. A lot of the features of the AEM Infinity-10 like the flex fuel and major engine protections had been added now to the AEM v2. For most users these features are good enough. The only thing I wished they have on the v2 will be traction control. Then for a lot cheaper cost , most of the features an ordinary boost junkie need is all there. The Infinity-10 has that but it doesn't support the auto transmission. And with the rate of time AEM brings out these features , you never know when it will ever come out. I love my AEM v2 , don't get me wrong. I had no prior knowledge about tuning and as you all can see , I was able to start my SC with the given startup maps. No other ECU / EMS there gives you the best startup maps but AEM. I have a Haltech PS2000 and proEFI 128 on my MKIVs and I could personally say , AEM v2 / Infinity-10 would be the easiest to setup . With the knowledge I have acquired from the dyno shop lessons I had , my car is running well up to 17lbs on pump gas. I haven't gone above due to the fact that I was waiting for these flex fuel thing.

MY PERSONAL VIEW is , what makes the proEFI superior is all the other features and more failsafes it has compared to the AEM boxes both Infinity-10 and AEM v2. The proEFI has a stiffer learning curve if you want to work on it on your own compared to the AEM boxes. Though I know as you will see in other forums , there would always be politics , debates on these boxes. And I am not gonna side with anyone. It is up to the individual to check what works best for his project. Once you have seen and compared all of them , you will have to decide for yourself what best suits your needs , budget and what you or your tuner can work on. One box maybe overkill for a certain project while another box maybe underfeatured for another project.

Bottom line , we should choose the ECU not based on politics but on what we need , what we can pay for and what we or our tuner can work on. So , we got to do our homework and not simply go where the pack goes or where there is more noise.

Honestly , looking at it now , for a DAILY DRIVER in which a 400-500rwhp is more than enough , take note I am talking about a daily driver, day in day out and not a weekend warrior or a drag car or a dyno queen or a garage queen, I believe staying with the stock GTE ecu is the best . Build around it and you would always be happy with less issues. Ali_SC3 have said that time and again and kudos / my hats off to him. He had said this a long time ago and followed it up with his GTE ECU mod thread for the benefit of us all. How many cars on the streets have that 400-500rwhp ? And how many times in a day you would need to use that power ? IT INDEED IS A DISEASE ! We love to have so much RWHP that we seldom use , for which we spend tons of money and spend lots of time working on them rather than enjoying them. I am guilty as anybody here .. .

Last edited by gerrb; 08-06-13 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-06-13, 09:11 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

It is indeed a disease. I am so thankful I decided to keep mine. I drove it around a few days ago and OMG what was I thinking, To add to this, driving Jays car is just amazing. Its nothing but a race car. Hard to start cold, have to stay on the gas until slightly warm, then OMG at the power throughout the power range, even on low boost. High boost is just AMAZING. If he got a 3.26 TT rear end and better tires, this thing would be ungodly.

I tried to check for an update on the AEM, and it is saying it up to date. Am I doing something wrong. Might be this stupid Windows 8. I am hoping with the new features it is compatible.
Old 08-06-13, 09:13 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Also Jerry, where did you get the turbo shield?

I LIKE IT.
Old 08-06-13, 09:17 AM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

I need to replace my fuel pump and re-wire my boost/wideband gauges also install my turbo timer & oil pressure gauge. My wiring skills sucks big time lol but once those are taking care off, I can cruise the SC around just to break in the motor. I will need help w/ wirings tho so whenever u have free time on fri or sat just LMK
Old 08-06-13, 09:21 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Wiring those are straight forward. I am not a wiring guru, but I did all of mine w/o issues.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys