Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 07:25 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Mang - I actually have chromed coil cover bolts . But after cleaning up the bolts you sent and installing them. I honestly like them better since they add a certain character to the engine bay. The original chromed bolts were sunken so you don't even notice them. Actually the ones you sent have saved my as? a couple of minutes ago. One of the wrench I was holding accidentally dropped when I opened th hood and landed on top of the bolt thus averting any crack on my transparent coil cover.... phew..

For me , you are right , they look better than the sunken ones.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-15-13 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-15-13, 07:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Old 09-15-13, 10:09 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks nice! I think they will stand out more with black valve cover. Well, on the way to the junkyard....
Old 09-15-13, 01:32 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JesLet
Looks nice! I think they will stand out more with black valve cover. Well, on the way to the junkyard....
They are a lot nicer in person .. pictures don't do justice on those bolts in my opinion.

Decided to paint parts of the engine bay that are pretty scratched up like the top of my driver side wheel well & brake cylinder. I did paint the front jamb to its oem color of black . I think it is better than the red (3k3) paint I did last year before I dropped the engine in.

Old 09-15-13, 02:45 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice you painted it black like how they come out from the factory.
Old 09-16-13, 07:29 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Mang - I actually have chromed coil cover bolts . But after cleaning up the bolts you sent and installing them. I honestly like them better since they add a certain character to the engine bay. The original chromed bolts were sunken so you don't even notice them. Actually the ones you sent have saved my as? a couple of minutes ago. One of the wrench I was holding accidentally dropped when I opened th hood and landed on top of the bolt thus averting any crack on my transparent coil cover.... phew..

For me , you are right , they look better than the sunken ones.

Glad you like them buddy
Old 09-18-13, 07:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JesLet
Nice you painted it black like how they come out from the factory.
Well , trying to keep myself busy .

Hey send me those pods .. I know what to do with them .

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Glad you like them buddy
Indeed I do . They look good especially now I have my intake manifold and nitrous lines / setup back in place.
Old 09-19-13, 06:27 PM
TopNotch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats up Gerry! Finally got to read through all of your thread. Nice meeting you last week! Next time hopefully the car is all together so I can go for a ride! I'll continue to follow this build!

Keylan
Old 09-19-13, 06:39 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TopNotch
Whats up Gerry! Finally got to read through all of your thread. Nice meeting you last week! Next time hopefully the car is all together so I can go for a ride! I'll continue to follow this build!

Keylan
Thanks Keylan ! It was really nice meeting you too. I hope you enjoy your new V2. I have learned a lot from it and it was a good ECU.... easy to learn. For its price , specs and what it can do now with the new firmware , the AEM V2 is right on the money , I would say. And knowing what you can do after seeing you resurrect that dead MKIV , am sure you will be able to play with the AEM v2 in no time since as you mentioned you have an access to a dyno.

I can take you for a ride with the stock ECU and at around 400rwhp right now but not with proEFI .. haha.. need to learn a lot of things. Everything is back together as of today but it is slow as hell. When you get used to something faster , 400 seems slow I guess. I really need to step up and learn faster on the new ecu. But I want to make sure also I know the ins and outs of proEFI's functionality before bringing it to the dyno just like I did with the V2 so I don't damage anything on my engine. A small mistake can melt pistons or worse bore a hole on the side of the block if not careful.

Damn , it is you I admire on that MKIV build of yours. I wouldn't have done what you did on that car. Truly amazing ... only someone with patience and determination could have pulled that MKIV from the grave. Seeing that car now , really astonishing... my hats off to you buddy .

Last edited by gerrb; 09-20-13 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-21-13, 06:07 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Some people pmed me and asked me some questions on the setup regarding using the stock JDM ECU while learning how to tune with the proEFI. Let me sum up them here.

a) did I continue using the Siemens 2433cc injectors with the stock ECU ?

No I didn't... I got some Bosch 480cc injectors which cost me $120 of eba? that where just cleaned and flow tested by Fuel Injector Connection . On the picture below , on the left are the Siemens Deka 2433cc injectors and on the right are the Bosch 480cc injectors . I made sure I got injectors with the same EV1 connectors so I didn't have to change injector clips and they are both 14mm on the rail so I use exactly the same rail.

b) Did I have to install the stock 02 sensor ( narrowband ) for the close loop of the stock ECU ?

No I didn't ... instead of using my AEM wideband gauge and sensor , I am now using my Innovate LC-1 gauge and wideband sensor. The LC-1 has two outputs , one for the wideband voltage of 0-5v and another output which you can be use for the stock ECU narrowband voltage of 0-1v . That ouput I connected to the 02 input of the stock ECU for close loop .

c) Will your Q45 simulates all the stock TPS pinouts ?

Yes .. even the DL1 pin .. just wire it properly. I think 3 or 4 pages before this page I posted a picture the Q45 TPS pins diagram

d) What about your AEM 5 bar map sensor , did you use it ?

No , I unplugged that when I use the JDM Ecu and plug in the stock TT map sensor which I wired in parallel

e) how do you control boost ?

I have a manual boost controller for now . Was thinking of getting that tru-boost thing.. I don't know yet.

f) Are you using your 272 cams with the stock JDM ECU ?

yes

SO BY just changing the injectors which takes around 15 to 20 minutes and plugging the right map sensor , I am able to run the car with the JDM ECU with stock drivability boosting up to the boost cut (am guessing here around 400rwhp) OR the proEFI for which I am still in the learning process of how to tune it. No downtime for the car which was the objective for this whole exercise. I don't want to be in a hurry running the car with proEFI with a half assed tune and run the risk of damaging the engine. I want to make sure that if I use the proEFI full time , I have tuned the car properly with all the proEFI features. It will take a while since I am just trying to learn by research, asking people , experimenting and studying the tune of one of the MKIV since it has the proEFI.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-21-13 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 05:39 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you are able to run 272s with a stock ecu? How far off is the fueling curve, seeing as the vacuum will be much lower throughout most of the range?
Old 09-22-13, 10:12 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Wow, you are able to run 272s with a stock ecu? How far off is the fueling curve, seeing as the vacuum will be much lower throughout most of the range?
It actually idles and drives good with the stock JDM ECU. At start up AFRs will be 10.7 . As it warms up , goes up and hovers around 13.5 fully warmed up. The stock ecu is good in adjusting stuff with the right inputs. IF , I had 440cc instead of 480cc , my idle AFRs would probably be around 14 - 14.5.

Vacuum with the Brian Crower 272 cams is at around 12 inHG . With the stock ECU, I don't even hear any lopey sound. I guess the , the JDM ecu makes it's own adjustments on fueling and timing with those cams... I don't know. I had BC Springs and Titanium Retainers with BC Valves with new valve seals on the head. At WOT , the AFRs go down around 10.5 - 11. This setup at least will enable me to use the car daily while am on the learning curve with regards proEFI.

I would try to do some experimentation later just to satisfy my curiousity and desire to learn ... like will it run or even start with the AEM 5 bar map sensor.
Old 09-22-13, 01:48 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I'm surprised it doesn't lope at idle. The only thing I can figure is the cam gears are adjusted to where they are limiting overlap.
Old 09-22-13, 02:53 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Interesting. I'm surprised it doesn't lope at idle. The only thing I can figure is the cam gears are adjusted to where they are limiting overlap.
I was expecting it to lope at idle too but as though the ecu was pulling the idle higher so the lopey sound is not as distinct as when I had the AEM v2... .. I really don't know. I took a video which I will load to photobucket once I am back home. The cam gears are at 0 degrees so there should be no effect I guess.

I did two experiements...

a) With the 480cc injectors , if you use the AEM 5 bar map .. it won't start ..

So with those injectors , it will only start with the stock TT map sensor which I believe is 2.3 bar map (effectively being 1.3 if I am not mistaken) . The AEM 5 bar map is PSIa (absolute).

b) With th 2433cc injectors , It will start with the AEM 5 bar map. It idles and AFRs are good at 13.5 once warmed up....

Is it because the injectors are around 5 times the size of the 480cc and the map sensor is around 5 times the size of the stock TT ? I don't know ...... I am puzzled. If I start the 2433cc injectors with the stock TT map it is very rich.. 10 and below since it get stucked at 10.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-22-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 09:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Dennis - here you go .. everything installed back with the Acura bolts. I was thinking of using them too in a black coil cover in my next project.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys