Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 06:05 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU ARE A BEAST SIR! I've been on Integra/S2000/Jeep/Civic/Camaro/Corvette forums and been apart of a bunch of builds, but this thread is unlike any other on the net!! The detail that takes hours due to all the editing is great. The Moderators should pay you for the hundreds/probably more that keep coming back just because of your of your build thread!LOL
Old 01-23-14, 03:58 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by geauxsimon
YOU ARE A BEAST SIR! I've been on Integra/S2000/Jeep/Civic/Camaro/Corvette forums and been apart of a bunch of builds, but this thread is unlike any other on the net!! The detail that takes hours due to all the editing is great. The Moderators should pay you for the hundreds/probably more that keep coming back just because of your of your build thread!LOL
Stop tinkering on that keyboard ... be busy with your car before you go back to Timbuktu so we can get it running . I got those ignition coil plugs for your harness in the mail. That was quick. Will install them today on your harness.

Don't worry about the stock hanger . I found the one I had on the platinum silver I parted out. I will give it to you.
Old 01-28-14, 05:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Any updates
Old 01-28-14, 06:07 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Any updates
x2....Im waiting for the merging of the two harnesses together...
Old 01-28-14, 08:27 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Any updates
Originally Posted by CatManD3W
x2....Im waiting for the merging of the two harnesses together...
Been working on it guys... am on page 139 now on the editing . I have been adding a lot of wiring diagrams to help better understand wires that go to body plugs and at the same time working on two different harnesses so I have sample harnesses I can post on the harness build thread , one which is for a manual transmission swapped 2jzgte and the other has basically all the stock plugs like VSVs and is for an auto transmission swapped 2jzgte. I was able only to dedicate an hour a day on all these in the past days. But check it out , there are a lot more details now. Hopefully by Sunday ... will be done on all this editing.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-29-14 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 09:27 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well well.... what's going on here?
Old 01-29-14, 03:12 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JesLet
Well well.... what's going on here?
And you ... better wait a bit before sending your harness for modification.

I think , no more friend friends , help help .. I am thinking of officially charging now anyone who needs help on their harness . J/K

Seriously , give me another 2 weeks then send yours so I can work on it . Hopefully by that time I am done with the 2jzgte harness build.
Old 01-29-14, 03:40 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to do one for a VVTI 2jz? Just messing. Great job on the write up. Makes me wanna go 2jzgte. Now I need one a write up thread for proefi using the plug and pin kit. I will be tackling that this week.
Old 01-29-14, 05:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jwin
Are you going to do one for a VVTI 2jz? Just messing. Great job on the write up. Makes me wanna go 2jzgte. Now I need one a write up thread for proefi using the plug and pin kit. I will be tackling that this week.
Wiring diagrams are the secret ! Learn the process I have been showing on the thread and making a harness should become a breeze. You know my number ... text me if you need help. I would advice making a patch harness and leave your stock harness alone if I were to be asked so when you want to go into another ECU you don't need to work again on that harness or if you want to part out , you have more audience that can buy your harness.

I can't help but post these pictures here I took of the SC Clan . We don't get snow every year in GA. That's why I love this place.

My Red Mamba 2 , the Beige SC and my 2 SC for parts are in the open so were covered with snow . Red Mamba 1 was under the roof so no snow .

the parts SCs that are still actually running ... anyone wants an SC400 drivetrain ? get the one on the right out of my place at North GA , just bring your own wheels and leave the wiring harness, fuel tank and ECU with me

Last edited by gerrb; 01-29-14 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 07:46 AM
Tran2jzZ33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Stuff!

Gerrb, THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME, PATENCE, AND COMMITTMENT!

I'm also a new member on here and have been here lurking a bit for 2jzgte wiring info and z33 trans adapter kit/info. Just trying to read as much as I can. I'm a handy guy mechanically but when it comes to wiring, it just seem like i'll drown in the rainbow sea of oem wires when I stare at a harness... I had to reply to your thread and thankyou!

I come from the 240sx/nissan world, handy diy'er type of guy to the best I can, and I'm currently building a drift spec z33 with a jzs147 non vvti 2jzgte(like that other guy NOLAGG). I've owned my project z33 chassis and aristo 2jz for a few yrs and finally decided to tackle it to finish it up and have fun since i'm beating the crap out of my daily drifter z33....

Until I found this thread, I've just been following these other ones, and also have been conversing with a cool saudi guy and few others who's already completed a 2jz swapped 350z with factory controls(a/c, heat, cruise, gauges, etc).
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/3...ngine%20Wiring
http://1jzmerc.com/files/pdf/pinout-toyota-jza80.png
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...al-cost-2.html
Just reading all the pages, familiarizing myself with terms, pins, plug orientation and all...
My z is fully caged, will just be a bare chassis, and I'm just worried about having a "good" engine and want to get the motor running on stock ecu(with only the single turbo as a mod) first before adding any aftermarket gauges/upgrades or investing anymore money. I got the engine and r154 trans from a good friend and I know for sure it's a jzs147 aristo motor, but since it's been sitting for while, it's just an assurance to get it running stock first. Since I'm undecided to use the r154 and leaning more towards the z33 6spd, I won't have to worry about any of the jzs147 aristo auto trans wiring(i think).

Here's a few pics of my process, like you suggested, but before even reading this thread...I just made sure I traced all the wires to the pinouts on the 80pin plugs and 40pin body plug...labeled it all, and ripped out stuff i didnt need like anything dealing with auto trans, traction control, ac, heat, abs, twinturbo wastegate, oem bov stuff, and yada yada...
Oh, my harness didn't come with the 40pin plug(#11215) so made an order with driftmotion for that and a bunch of other plugs my harness was missing or broken, lol I ordered the same "clean injection" ebay coil plugs as your friend Aaron! haha

well, i'll quit thread jacking/spamming, I'm going to take my time and rebuild this harness along with making the custom main power cable, ign, m-rel relays and whatever else harness I think I need but a little weary about so will keep reading and researching! Keep up the great work!

More pics of my crap on fb,
fb.com/nodrft
fb.com/ktranman

p.s. I want to eventually crank the motor on the ground like on those youtube videos...haha

Last edited by Tran2jzZ33; 01-29-14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 05:14 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Thank you sir ... Glad to be of help !
Old 01-30-14, 05:15 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Everything we have done so far was straight forward. We have been inspecting & replacing plugs that are broken , extending wires (This is actually for me the worst or most laborious part of making a 2jzgte harness for your car.) , removing plugs / pins and wires that are not needed or in some instances keeping un-needed wires for some other purposes in the future , checking connectivity from one pin of a plug to another pin of another plug and lastly updating our chart. These, we are all doing so far on the plugs / pins / wires that are already on the Aristo 2jzgte harness. They are all properly laid out already so you don't have to do any measuring how long the wires will be or finding out where the plugs should be. That is the actual 2jzgte harness you are already working on. That is the very reason why I use it to start with as my base harness. Most of the plugs to get that engine running are already there.

Not all let's say SC300 harnesses are same . Let me give you some examples .

Here you see two SC300 engine harnesses. The orange ellipsis shows the same body plugs from both harnesses. The red square shows body plugs that are present in one SC300 but not in the other SC300.

Two same body plugs from different SC300 doesn't necessarily mean that they have the same pins / wirings.

Observe pin 13 of Body Plug IJ1 ( I have previously posted the different common body plugs so you get familiar with them since I will start mentioning them more and more from now on).

Pin 13 (I surely do hope you know how to identify pin numbers on a plug by now ) on the left is empty and Pin 13 on the right it is occupied and yet these are both from an SC300 . So depending on your model year , wirings / pinnings can be different.

The wiring diagrams of the particular year and model of car you are working on will be your best friend. And with the Internet now a days , I can almost guarantee you , somewhere somehow you can find a copy o such wiring diagram. Research ... Research ... Research is the keyword.

I am telling you all these not to discourage you and say Oh crap this is getting harder ! NO IT IS NOT . I am just mentioning that there maybe differences on body plugs. Bottom line , you need the actual original engine harness of the car you want to swap a 2jzgte so you can extract those plugs you will merge into the ARisto 2jzgte harness. Do not just grab let's say any SC300 body plugs and merge them into the harness you are building. I am not saying that wouldn't work. In fact more likely it would. But I am just trying to avoid the possibility of missing something.

To further emphasize my point ... let me add into the mix an SC400 engine harness

The top one is from an SC400 engine harness. It has same common body plugs but may have extra as shown on the red square . So not all SC300/SC400 have exactly the same plugs. Extract them if possible from the actual car for which you are making the 2jzgte wiring harness

Since two wires from the IACV needs to go to the 40 pin ECU connector , let's explore a bit that connector .

Nothing especial , you take out pins the same way you do on the 80 pin ECU Connector

Last edited by gerrb; 02-01-14 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 05:22 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Now that we have covered most if not all of the plugs and wires on your Aristo 2jzgte harness , we need to take the 40 pin Connector and Body Plugs from your SC300/SC400/MKIV engine harness.

This picture shows you how some wires go from the 40 pin connector to the other body plugs. All those Body plugs are already pinned with wires. We are not de-pinning any of them FOR NOW. Since these are coming from the car for which you are doing the harness , pinning on these plugs are presumably good and done for us. We will just have to verify them. The most we need to do if ever is remove those not needed or move pins if there is a need.

So now the question is from where to where do we cut our body plugs and the 40 pin ECU connector from the SC300 / SC400 / MKIV for which we are doing the harness ?

Do not arbitrarily go and just cut it 30 inches away from the plugs and roll the rest in a ball of wire just like pictured here ... PLEASE NO !!!

You have to observe and evaluate your harness. Which of the plugs on your harness are unique to your car and do not connect to any of the components in the engine you are taking out ? You are more likely to need them .

If you have done this at least once , you probably by now know which plugs you will need to merge with the Aristo 2jzgte harness.

So what are the plugs I need to get from my current engine harness and how can I be sure I don't miss any plug that needs merging with the Aristo 2jzgte harness ?

For the SC300/SC400/MKIV , I can tell you right now which are all the plugs in your current engine harness you need to keep and merge with the Aristo 2jzgte harness and which one to just throw and discard just because I have done it before. But again the SC300 harness you have might not be the same SC300 harness that I have which is a possibility as I have previously shown with pictures.

Let's say nobody is there to tell you which one. The process of elimination will be of big help in determining what plugs on my current harness I need to take and merge with my Aristo 2jzgte harness. You should have the most updated CHART now for reference .

On your SC300 harness, you will take out all the plugs and wires that go to the 80 pin ECU connector that you have worked on so far on the Aristo 2jzgte harness. You surely don't need them if they are already on the new harness you are working on.

You see this is another good reason why I wanted to work on the plugs / wires that lead to the 80 pin ECU connector first in as much as I can. It will help those who are new in the elimination process ..that is determining what plugs is left from my current SC300 harness that I need to merge to the Aristo 2jzgte harness. For those who have done it before or can read diagrams or knows every component on the engines they are working on , this isn't even necessary. I am trying to help those without any harness build experience and are not also auto mechanics that know their engines by heart.

I usually start taking out all the wraps and covers to clean it up to give me a better view but not allowing it to be messy or tangled .

Continue removing all the wraps all the way down to every plug . Re-use those hard plastic covers in your new harness if you can. There is a lot of heat near the firewall behind the engine. The plastic cover helps a lot in protecting the harness . Exactly why Lexus used it.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-01-14 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 05:24 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Non VVTi 2jzgte Lexus SC Engine Harness Build - Post # 53

This SC300 harness is basically all unwrapped. I left some bits and pieces just to keep it still organized and not becoming a ball of messy wires.

We want to find all the plugs that are in our old harness and needed to be merged or incorporated in our 2jzgte harness.

For those who know well the Aristo 2jzgte and the SC300 2jzge engines , those who have done a 2jzgte harness for a swap... it is easy , just by looking at the plugs of this harness , right away can pinpoint which plugs they need to get from this harness.

Like , they would say , oh these are the injector plugs . Let me take out all of them and their wires now. I don't need them.

or will say , oh that is for the SC300 igniter , noise filter and coil. I don't need that and I will take out those plugs and wires

And they will continue doing it with all those plugs and wires they know they don't need until what is left is what is needed to be merged with the Aristo 2jzgte harness.

And some don't even have to go through that elimination process even if they know what is not needed. All they do is take those wirings and plugs they need to merge with the Aristo 2jzgte harness. Once you have done it once or twice , you can be on the same boat. You can skip all that lengthy process of elimination.

But what about those who never did a 2jzgte harness for a swap before and really have no idea which plugs to get from the original harness ? I suggest you use the process of elimination

Get your updated Chart . By now you know that you have worked on every plug that is on your Aristo 2jzgte harness.

You will use the 80 pin Connector on your Chart . We know that from the SC300 harness we need the 40 pin connector and all those body plugs / connectors you see in the picture except the 80 pin connector . Though if a pin from the 80 pin connector has a wire that connects to the other plugs , we have to make sure that is done on our 2jzgte harness too. So , we start removing unnecessary wires from SC300 80 pin connector.

Start with the first line of your Chart , Pin 1... check your SC300 80 pin connector . .. does it have a pin and wire on that slot ? In this case , no , so you have nothing to do. .. proceed to the next line in your chart.

It shows pin 3.......check your SC300 80 pin connector ... does it have a pin and wire on that slot ? In this cas , yes , so take out the pin , pull the wire up to 6 inches before the plug then cut it. You want to keep the plug with a pigtail so you can reuse it in the future... proceed to the next line in your chart.

It shows pin 5 ..... check your SC300 80 pin connector ... does it have a pin and wire on that slot ? In this case, yes ,so take out the pin , pull the wire up to 6 inches before the plug then cut it. .. proceed to the next line in your chart.

It shows pin 6 ......check your SC300 80 pin connector ... does it have a pin and wire on that slot ? In this case, yes ,so take out the pin , pull the wire up to 6 inches before the plug then cut it. ... proceed to the next line in your chart.

What you are trying to do is remove all those wires on your SC300 harness that you don't need on your 2jzgte harness because you already have them. Once you are done with all those pins on the 80 pin connector , what should be left behind on the SC300 harness would be wires / plugs that we don't need on the Aristo 2jzgte harness and a bit more that where not removed by the process we just did. I will show you how to remove them next.

TAKE NOTE :

a) IF you are taking out a pin from the SC300 80 pin connector and it's wire has connectivity to any of the body plugs or to the 40 pin connector . don't take it out for now. We will do them last. You want to make sure that connectivity is transfered to your Aristo 2jzgte 80 pin connector.

B) When you pull out a pin / wire from the SC300 80 pin connector , if there are wires T'ed or branching out from it , take those wires out too and cut them also 6 inches near their plug.

I normally don't do what I asked you to do above since I know what plugs/wires I have to get from the SC300 .... but for the sake of this tutorial , I decided to do it so to show you what we end up with if you do it . This is what I came up with . I have less wires now on the SC300 80 pin harness.

So what are those left over wires from the SC300 80 pin connector ?

a) around 6 of those wires have direct connectivity to the body plugs or 40 pin ECU connector that is why I didn't remove them yet.
b) some of them are basically just for the SC300 like wires for MAF which the Aristo 2jzgte didn't have. .. .....we will find out next

You see when I told you to take out a pin , take out the wire and cut it 6 inches before the plug , some of those plugs didn't have their other wire end or go back to the SC300 80 pin connector so the connectors are still there.... just like pictured ...

Now time to do the reverse to further to investigate those wires still there on the SC300 80 pin connector

a) from the plugs trace their wires , if they end up at the SC300 80 pin connector , take out their pin and wire ....

or simply get the 2jzge 80 pin configration chart and see what are those pins and if you don't need , take them out with their wirings

It may sound to be a ridiculuous process but will help you determine what you need from your current SC300 harness if you don't have the slightest idea of which plug / wire you need from your SC300 harness.

Like on my end , I don't have to do that pin by pin removal ...II can just cut those wires since I know where to connect them or if I do the process of elimination , I can do a bunch at once and would start from the plugs , pulling the wires towards the 80 pin connector since I know which plugs are not needed and will end at the 80 pin connector. The tedious process above is for those who do not have the slightest idea of what plug / wires you need to keep and merge with the Aristo 2jzgte harness.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-01-14 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 05:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Q) Why can't we just cut the wire like this and then connect those wires to where they should be connected on the Aristo 2jzgte harness ?

You can actually .... For those who have the wiring diagrams and can read them, who knows which plugs they need , who knows which wire goes to which wire on the Aristo 2jzgte harness , you don't have to go through the tedious process I just mentioned. It was meant to help people who don't have the slightest idea of what plugs they need to take from the SC300 and merge with the Aristo 2jzgte harness. I was trying to teach a process especially not all harnesses are the same. If you can pick up right away the needed plugs just like I said and know where to connect them... you are golden. Exactly the reason why I said, after doing it once or twice.. it becomes easy.

I will eventually enumerate pin by pin of each body plugs .. what goes to them just like what I did on each plug so far to make it easy . One wouldn't even need to know what plug to take from the SC300 cause I will enumerate the plugs they need and what to check from each pin .. that is , where the wire should go. I was just teaching a possible way of doing things if somebody didn't have someone to tell all these details.

In fact , let me give the common plugs and their asssociated wirings that one should have after that tedious exercise ...

Alll those plugs near the 80 pin connector ..

The two big plugs infront of the fuse box and its wirings

The Lexus SC power steering plug

for the SC300 , depending on what alternator you use , the round plug ..and have to incorporate its wiring on the harness. The SC400 alternator wires are not on the harness just like the SC300 .

heater valve plug

horn plug

Q) How do you know which are the pin numbering of plugs that has slots and pins that are neither on the first or second row ... they are between just like pictured ?

Usually , you will read it belonging to the next row .. like the first big pin at the center of the picture is not pin 3 , it will be pin 7

Last edited by gerrb; 02-01-14 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys