Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 06:31 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am truly amazed at the work being done so far.

how did you managed to get the head so clean?

will you be porting out the intake side also?

i also thought about having the head sent into a shop for a port/polish, since i'll be taking it apart.

the smoother it is, the less turbulence there is, so that's always good. but my main issue is getting all ports to flow the same amount.
Old 01-19-15, 04:08 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by irondonkey
i am truly amazed at the work being done so far.

how did you managed to get the head so clean?

will you be porting out the intake side also?

i also thought about having the head sent into a shop for a port/polish, since i'll be taking it apart.

the smoother it is, the less turbulence there is, so that's always good. but my main issue is getting all ports to flow the same amount.
Thank you sir !

There are stuff like gasket / grime & dirt remover from your local auto supplies store. Just make sure it is for aluminum meaning it doesn't have any chemical that hurts aluminum.

It was a simple port / gasket matching I did. I am not in a position to do more. That is, I simply matched the size of the gasket to the intake and exhaust ports of the head and the size of the gasket to the Intake manifold runner and Exhaust manifold ports.

Port and Polish done by the PROs is very EXPENSIVE. Some will do it manually and some by CNC Machine. For my stroker motor for the Black Peal , I paid $2300 for the Race Port Sevice plus another $1750 for the all Ferrea Hardware Stuff. The Head Service included Milling, Porting, Assembly, Valve Job, Chambers,Lash and Assembly , etc.

For me, you have to be careful where you send your head for porting. They have to be experienced with 2JZ otherwise your porting might hurt your HP instead of helping. As I said, bigger is not always better with head ports. A lot of tdhings to be considered. These PROs have the equipments to measure flow on each port and experience in doing such porting on 2JZs play an important role.

Also, if you are not aiming for well OVER 1000rwhp, it is better spending that money for something else rather than a Port and Polish for your Head. The stock 2jzgte head had been proven to flow and support 1000rwhp. There are cars making that power with just cams , upgraded springs and retainers for the head ... no porting.

Based on my research on Porting , "Smoother is not always good especially on the intake ports." For the exhaust ports , you want them smooth and polished so exhaust gas won't cling and develop carbon deposits on the exhaust ports. For the intake ports, they are rough to a certain degree . That is why you use coarser grit like 40 / 80 to grind the intake ports. You want the fuel to somehow cling on the ports to break down into finer mist together with the incoming gush of air. That is at least what I read in many articles.

DISCLAIMER

For those who haven't gone through the whole thread, let me repeat here what I wrote many times on this thread. I am not a mechanic or a pro, I am a mere enthusiast / diy guy just like many here so don't take anything I say on this thread as gospel truth. I simply say things based either on personal experience or what I have read and researched on. As I always said verify , verify , verify what you read on the internet. Not everything you read will be true so do your research diligently .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-19-15 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 05:50 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

hmmm i see...

i talked to one of my friends and he gave me an estimate of $150 to have the head polished and ported.

i think you're referring to the porting job where you are widening up the ports. i was just referring to the port job where you smooth out the inside, along with the areas that cover the combustion chamber. it's as simple as just getting some sandpaper and just running it through the ports smoothing them out.

as for injectors, i believe for that issue, it really comes down to what type of injectors you have. i've used OEM subaru STi injectors before, and they have a 6 hole spray nozzle, as opposed to some other OE JECS injectors that have maybe 4 total. 6 spray hole will give a much finer mist as opposed to something with 4.

i pretty much learned all this from youtube videos haha
Old 01-19-15, 07:59 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

hmmm i see...

i talked to one of my friends and he gave me an estimate of $150 to have the head polished and ported.

i think you're referring to the porting job where you are widening up the ports. i was just referring to the port job where you smooth out the inside, along with the areas that cover the combustion chamber. it's as simple as just getting some sandpaper and just running it through the ports smoothing them out.

as for injectors, i believe for that issue, it really comes down to what type of injectors you have. i've used OEM subaru STi injectors before, and they have a 6 hole spray nozzle, as opposed to some other OE JECS injectors that have maybe 4 total. 6 spray hole will give a much finer mist as opposed to something with 4.

i pretty much learned all this from youtube videos haha
I hear you ! If you will ask my opinion, I will rather spend that $150 for a nice reliable Blow-of-Valve or Wastegate or go fast goodies. That $150 worth of work in my IMHO wont do much meaning, if the stock head without porting can support 1000rwhp , throwing in $150 on head work and you are below that horsepower level would IMHO won't make sense.. just my $0.02. .
Old 01-19-15, 09:22 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Today I am taking advantage of a warm winter day. I want to get the Red Mamba Two Engine bay ready so I can drop the drivetrain. Just primered the bay.. then sand it again.

I just want my SCs to look descent cosmetically. They are not meant to be show cars. If I want attention then I drive around town with a MKIV with the targa off . I love to keep the SCs in sleeper form... good interior since that is where you are, good looking admirable engine bay with a drive train that can support one's ego on the streets and a good presentable external look. I love the looks on people's faces with new and good looking cars and you pass them , then they try to play catch up... let them get near you , look at them and then push that accelerator...it is a nice feeling when you know someone beside you on the street spent >$60k on his car and yet can't catch up and wondering what kind of a car you have.... just a plain raggedy looking 20 year old car .

Old 01-19-15, 10:36 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well damn... I have my timing already set. I am not running alot of hp like yours but I think it will be safe to weld mine while the engine is out.

Anyway, have you tried "Mean Green" cleaner? Stuff is pretty good cleaning up sludge under the valve covers.
Old 01-19-15, 10:51 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i have some 19x10 and 19x11 going on the car.

also found a trade for my wise wing, got a 97+ front bumper on the way!

im excited for those cosmetic changes.
Old 01-19-15, 11:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JesLet
Well damn... I have my timing already set. I am not running alot of hp like yours but I think it will be safe to weld mine while the engine is out.

Anyway, have you tried "Mean Green" cleaner? Stuff is pretty good cleaning up sludge under the valve covers.
hahaha...just one of those safety precautions . Your engine is out so you might as well weld that timing gear.

Yes, I have a gallon of mean green which I use. I believe it was my good buddy Steve (lilScSteve) who mentioned about that degreaser / cleaner to me.

i have some 19x10 and 19x11 going on the car.

also found a trade for my wise wing, got a 97+ front bumper on the way!

im excited for those cosmetic changes.
Nice... 11" width wheels. Those 97" kit are getting pricey now a days.

Am tired of looking at Red Mamba Two engine bay in gray / light color for a year now.. hahaha.
I sprayed the first coat today..now I can see those spots I still need to sand and put putty / bondo. Then tomorrow another warm day , I will spray two or three more coats and then clear coat.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-19-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 01:27 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I hate body work . Now I have to look for the high and lows , put bondo / putty then sand then paint . Too much work I hate doing ... No wonder a good paint job cost a lot of money.

Old 01-19-15, 03:30 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

She's getting there, great work with the engine bay. We all know what she's going to look like after you're done.
Now get back to work, we're all waiting! See folks this is what happens when you mix a little Airwolf, a little MacGyver and sneeze from Chuck Norris-You get one BAD AZ* Mamba! ha!

steve
Old 01-20-15, 09:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Yesterday I sprayed a darker red to easily cover the primer and not use a lot of paint. Today I use the real color I want this car to be -> 3R3 Barcelona Red Met

Done with 4 coats of base and 1st coat of Clear Coat .. Got to do 3 more clear coat

Old 01-20-15, 10:23 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

2nd coat for clear coat just sprayed... damn I don't even want to put an engine now on this bay, lest the paint job get scratched . It aint perfect but surely so shiny already just after 2 clear coats... two more to go . Pictures don't even do it justice.

Old 01-20-15, 11:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I am done with this engine bay ...after 4 coats of clear.. this is how it looks. I wish the pictures do justice on the engine bay, but they don't... damn engine bay is wet look that I hate to get it scratched up during engine install.

Time to paint the brake booster same color as my shroud & coil cover -> 202 Black and the bellhousing 500F red. I would like the bellhousing and my short block to be in red as usual so I could easily spot fluid like oil that leaks... easy to spot where it is coming from.

Bellhousing done

Brake booster is being primered

painted

short block also painted with 500F red enamel so I can easily spot oil or coolant leaks

brake booster back in

Last edited by gerrb; 01-20-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 03:33 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks good man.....Cant wait to see the engine back in there!!!!
Old 01-20-15, 05:45 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Simply outstanding work bro, keep the pictures coming

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys