Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 01:14 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Looking at weather.com...it will be damn a lot cooler in the next couple of days and I am not waiting for next week to get the engine in.... heck... it is going in today

Something still is wrong with my hoist...wheels at the back gets lifted as you lift engine...put some weights from differentials and a tranny to keep it on the ground...lol

Last edited by gerrb; 02-18-15 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 01:50 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The leveler will help you a lot if you are alone...a little bit more and it will be in

Old 02-18-15, 02:02 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerrb
LMAOL, are you crazy ..... 24 hrs to do a gte swap ? Easier said than done.

No , don't touch those seals , they are in good shape. Too cold out there today.
Lmaol im slightly Crazy; ).. will leave the Rear main seal alone for sure.

AND Damnnn..... you are a true SOLDIER Mr. Gerrb! Man oh man, sure you proved yourself again. Hard work does pay off even if it makes your nutz freeze and fingers breaks with this freezing cold weather we have here in ATL. Smh.. you the Man, Sir! Btw, engine bay looks awesome.

Last edited by PoGikoSc4; 02-18-15 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added bay looks awesome
Old 02-18-15, 03:06 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
What's up man... a lot of us MKIV owners are now having sleeper SCs, best flatform to cross interchange our MKIV parts.... Damn at 68k miles and one owner, that is a winner ! Are you planning to put a GTE head or just boost the stock GE long block.?

It is a pleasure that my build thread can help a lot of people. We all want to save by doing things ourselves. Am pretty sure you are way more knowledgeable than I am , you having more experience on these. Well we all know that the stock GE block with a good aftermarket ECU and bolt ons can indeed hold a good amount of power once a good tuner have done his magic, specially yours is a very low mileage block .

Aren't you tuning your own cars too ?

You are welcome my friend !
Thanks. Plans are to use the GE head and long block and keep the compression at 9.5/1 or so, whatever the stock TT head gasket drops it to. Do the ARP studs and call it a day. Turbo kit I will use either Boostlogic NA-T kit or PHR when their kit comes out. I will do an E85 fuel system and PRO EFI along with the built trans and converter. I am basically copying my old set up for the Supra when it was an auto car. I am positive I can run mid/low 10s all day long with this set up and it should be dead reliable. My Supra ran 10.00X with only 585whp with the auto.

I will let Larry at SP work his magic. I don't tune standalones.

Steve K.
Old 02-18-15, 04:55 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PoGikoSc4
Lmaol im slightly Crazy; ).. will leave the Rear main seal alone for sure.

AND Damnnn..... you are a true SOLDIER Mr. Gerrb! Man oh man, sure you proved yourself again. Hard work does pay off even if it makes your nutz freeze and fingers breaks with this freezing cold weather we have here in ATL. Smh.. you the Man, Sir! Btw, engine bay looks awesome.
Thank you Rey. I want to wrap things up with this car in the next couple of days so I have a run around town 2jzgte daily driver. My youngest daughter keeps on reminding me of my promise to give her my Benz once this car is done and am getting tired of it. Should not take much. Just need to button it up and being all stock for now, should not have a problem getting it going. I want to work on the Blue Angel, my 3rd SC soon whose built drive train is ready . Just need to do another harness then drop the drive train on the bay but first paint the bay RSP. I want to be able to play around painting the white and blue SCs comes summer. This Red Mamba still has a good paint so I will leave it as is for now not unless I get the itch to repaint it too. Hey , you still have those large / huge thick plastics ? I need to make a makeshift paint booth where I can practice. Hope I can do it myself, another learning process. But will be fun if I succeed or they are all going to the PROS for painting.

Originally Posted by 1A1
Thanks. Plans are to use the GE head and long block and keep the compression at 9.5/1 or so, whatever the stock TT head gasket drops it to. Do the ARP studs and call it a day. Turbo kit I will use either Boostlogic NA-T kit or PHR when their kit comes out. I will do an E85 fuel system and PRO EFI along with the built trans and converter. I am basically copying my old set up for the Supra when it was an auto car. I am positive I can run mid/low 10s all day long with this set up and it should be dead reliable. My Supra ran 10.00X with only 585whp with the auto.

I will let Larry at SP work his magic. I don't tune standalones.

Steve K.
Nice...with a very low mileage GE you have, it will be perfect. Surely SP will work on their magic with E85 and ProEFI. 600rwhp is plentiful and easy to achieve with the right bolt ons especially you will be on E85.

I was always tempted to do an NA-T since I have 4 GE blocks with me. But I want to be able to interchange parts on all my toys since I will eventually have five or six 2jzgte toys, hahaha. Damn GE has a different exhaust and intake manifolds. Good thing with them though, GE long blocks are easy and cheap to find. But I know my GE short blocks will always come handy for my toys if something goes wrong with my GTEs. These GTEs are getting pricier. Aristo 2jzgte used to be $1800 shipped and now they want $2600-2800 shipped. 3 Years ago, I bought two Supra 6speed swaps for $5500 shipped each and now they want at least $8000. I guess the demand and supply had caused the spike in prices.

Are you using aftermarket intake mani ? What auto trans will you go with ?

Last edited by gerrb; 02-19-15 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 06:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Now that the engine is in , I believe the suspension drop on this car is perfect. When I got this car, it already got aftermarket springs and suspension. So all I need is a better set of wider tires for a better daily driver.

Front

Rear

Old 02-19-15, 08:09 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 97 front bumper that needs painting. i can buy all the supply, and if you want to practice your paint skills, you can use that as the guinea pig

still cant believe you put the engine in yourself in this cold lol

my friend has a fresh GE block from the machine shop, i'm thinking about getting that, and sourcing out a GTE head to put on it.

1j or 2j head... hmmmmm

Last edited by irondonkey; 02-19-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 10:01 AM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mang Gerrb, yes I still have those heavy industrial plastic unrolled,. Just LMK, maybe we can call it quits w/ your gte coil cover . Hahaha
I can send you pic of the industrial plastic.
Old 02-19-15, 10:23 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by irondonkey
i have a 97 front bumper that needs painting. i can buy all the supply, and if you want to practice your paint skills, you can use that as the guinea pig

still cant believe you put the engine in yourself in this cold lol

my friend has a fresh GE block from the machine shop, i'm thinking about getting that, and sourcing out a GTE head to put on it.

1j or 2j head... hmmmmm
hahaha...i know it was cold and even worst today and am bolting things up.

Since you don't have anything yet...do the math. At the end of the day, piecing an engine together might end you spending more compared to getting the whole swap. I would understand if you have a lot of the parts already then get what is missing but looks to me you are starting from zero..

Originally Posted by PoGikoSc4
Mang Gerrb, yes I still have those heavy industrial plastic unrolled,. Just LMK, maybe we can call it quits w/ your gte coil cover . Hahaha
I can send you pic of the industrial plastic.
what are the sizes ? length / width ? Sure I will trade you the GTE Coil / Plug Cover

This is how the engine bay looks so far

Last edited by gerrb; 02-19-15 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 10:53 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the GE bottom he said he'll let me have for 550. everything is super shiny, new bearings, polished crank, decked head, and all assembled. comes with all the motor accessories too. he's got all the parts. i also do too, off my stock SC 2j motor. i would just need to find a GTE head from the headgasket up. my goal is to run stock everything for a while.
Old 02-19-15, 01:33 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by irondonkey
well the GE bottom he said he'll let me have for 550. everything is super shiny, new bearings, polished crank, decked head, and all assembled. comes with all the motor accessories too. he's got all the parts. i also do too, off my stock SC 2j motor. i would just need to find a GTE head from the headgasket up. my goal is to run stock everything for a while.
I would say do more research my friend. Looks to me you are not yet that familiar with where you want to go. Let me help you to make it easier for both of us . So let's say you get your buddy's block at $550. What else do you need ?

GTE head - $500
Cam - $100
Valve covers - $250
Coil / Plug Cover - $75
Coils - $125
Intake (plenum / runner / TB ) - $250
stock twins - $200
ECU - $150
Aristo Harness- $100
MAP sensor - $50
IACV - $125'
transmission / flexplate / converter - $300
other small pieces like solenoids - ???

Total of $2275 ... shipping/paypal fees of all those items will probably run you another $500 since turbo setup and transmission will be very heavy and large...

So 2225 + 550 + 500 = $3275 ...

Where as a 2JZGTE non VVTI is $2600 shipped and VVTi is $2200 shipped . And a complete 1JZ auto swap is less than $1500 shipped.

And the most important thing, most parts mentioned above or those that you don't have are hard to find now. I have been scouring different websites for GTE Parts in the past 5 years almost EVERY SINGLE DAY because of what I need for my 2JZGTE toys . Non VVTi GTE heads are getting harder to find. Aren't you wandering why I get a lot of these JZ good deals ? lmaol.... I spend a lot of time looking for them so I can tell you if a GTE part is hard to find and how much they go for.

At times we think we are able to save by piecing the swap together starting with a GE Block... but actually not if you don't have most of the parts.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-19-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 03:20 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

More Pictures of RED MAMBA's Engine Bay

Old 02-20-15, 04:07 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOWWW!! That bay looks awesome!!
Old 02-20-15, 05:09 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost there Gerrb, a few more checks and you'll be good! So tomorrow is Saturday, any plans to start er up over the weekend?
Old 02-20-15, 05:30 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

wow that turned out great. for the poster wanting the GTE block you can get complete engine for less than that. As Gerry said sometimes it's cheaper to buy the engine.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys