Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 08:42 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Knowing that my two newly delivered 2jzgte VVTi engines have 165-170 compressions and less than 5% leak down across all cylinders , while I am building my ultimate engine setup for the 1997 SC300 5speed , I will install one of these engines with a 6speed v160 and get the car running stock as though it came from the factory that way. That way , it will make my wife happy. She hates seeing non running cars. For her, a non running car is a junk car so it has to be towed to the junkyard.. hahaha..

It will take a while to get my ultimate 3.4 stroker fully built motor / v160 setup be done. After doing all the paper pushing I would need at least $18-20k just for the long block since I would like one of the well known SF sponsors and supra builders to build it. I had an initial conversation with Geo of Realstreet Performance to build my stroker long block after having seen his car making +1600rwhp on an Auto Transmission and unfilled block. That would be over 1700rwhp on a 6 speed. Just damn impressive so I know it will be worth it to spend $20k on that stroker long block from them with all the bells and whistles of the best parts you can think of.

Back to the engine I would temporarily install just to get the 97 sc300 5speed running for now , today I am changing the front sump into a rear sump , change the engine brackets and mounts and most of all inspect the inside of the engine that there are no metallic dirt on the oil just to confirm that it is healthy. As I have previously mentioned, if you are only aiming for 500-700 rwhp , all you need is a stock but healthy 2jzgte long block. That will keep your costs down. Once you start tearing apart the engine and using aftermarket internals , you better be ready to spend big bucks

Name:  20151116_110103_zps4v5pdybt.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  416.5 KB

Name:  20151116_110121_zpsidfjsn7n.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  363.7 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 11-16-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 08:49 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i had the money, i'd throw it at real street any day.

that sliver 1600hp supra was seriously the sickest thing ever. it sold fairly quick for a 95k price tag lol
Old 11-16-15, 08:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

engine looks clean , no mettalic dirt / dust . All rods and crank journal caps are firm .

Name:  20151116_110400_zpstdihavvj.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  389.3 KB

Name:  20151116_110445_zpsfpartq5y.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  514.7 KB

Name:  20151116_111822_zps39lmmusn.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  336.0 KB
Old 11-16-15, 09:00 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by irondonkey
if i had the money, i'd throw it at real street any day.

that sliver 1600hp supra was seriously the sickest thing ever. it sold fairly quick for a 95k price tag lol

The 1997 SC300 Black Pearl being 1 of the 120 deserves to have the best so I don't mind trying to save for it and giving it one from Real Street Performance. I will take my time saving every penny, collecting all the other parts it needs to be installed on the car together with that long block. Meanwhile, I will start using the car before the holidays since I will drop in a stock 2jzgte VVTi with a 6speed V160 for now . In that way I would not be so pressured to get it running and start buying parts that won't help me in my ultimate build .

It will be awesome to know that a rare 1 of 120 is making +1600rwhp . I hope it becomes a reality. Every thing starts with a dream and that I don't see it being farfetched ! It would be a matter of time . I will try my best to make sure it happens.

I know that damn car sold for a pretty penny. Just a good sign that MKIVs with good drivetrains will sell. Reason why I know eventually I would make money on the 4 MKIVs I have since all of them are making either in the vicinity of 1000rwhp or 1200rwhp and two of them have stroker motors and all done by well known supra builders.

But with SCs , whose values are down the gutter , kinda tough getting back your money. Every built SC I have seen in the past many years were all parted out . Nobody will buy them. Well, majority of people with more than $25k will rather buy a MKIV than an SC , plain and simple. It is the prestige of having one. Especially now they are getting more expensive as each day pass and harder to find.

Last edited by gerrb; 11-16-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 09:21 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

that car had a lot of press behind it too. i've seen so many $40k 1000hp supras from guys that are having a really difficult time getting rid of it.
Old 11-16-15, 10:11 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

that car had a lot of press behind it too. i've seen so many $40k 1000hp supras from guys that are having a really difficult time getting rid of it.
The builder / shop helps a lot. People wants to spend only on high price engines when they know that the person / shop who built it is a well known Supra builder and know their stuff and the car was never abused especially from the drag strip. But even cars used on the drag strip as long as it was built by a well known supra builder sells good. But you got to be patient selling it.

Two of my MKIVs were built by Boost Logic , one by Majestic and the other by Sound Performance and none of them have ever been run on the drag strip with all of them having less than 3k miles from being built . And all of them I bought from people who where in a bind and had to sell them really quick as in a couple of days not a week. Go figure how much I spent on them. To give you an idea, one of my stroker MKIV 6 speed making +1200rwhp I spent only $28k.

Not too sure which planet you see the $40k 1000hp supra not being sold...not unless it was built by shade tree mechanics like us.. lol. Those are shunned by buyers who know what they are looking for. It is not a matter of being able to make that much HP. Even a stock 2jzgte long block had been known to be dynoed at 1000rwhp. It is the reliability of all the parts put together in the car that matters. You can make 1000hp on the dyno then a couple of miles from the dyno the engine is a ticking time bomb. The stock 6 speeds now are already between $30-35k and low mileage ones are well over $50k. There is even one stock 6 speed with a very low mileage that wanted well over $90k .

And one more thing , selling a performance car doesn't happen overnight . Not everyone has $50k cash to throw on a car. Only the military guys are able to get a loan for them because most banks if not all will not finance a 15-20 year old car. Got to have the patience. If you are in a hurry to sell a MKIV , then definitely you won't get the price you want. With the MKIV being rare and getting harder to find, it will sell , it is a matter of time. Go check craigslist , even MKIV NAs are being sold between $18-22k now.

Last edited by gerrb; 11-16-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 11:44 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i dont think you're on FB?

it's all over the supra pages lol. i sparingly browse, to see them still listed.

the 20k NA supras are def not selling, as i've seen on FB. lol

Last edited by irondonkey; 11-16-15 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 12:42 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I don't have to be on FB .. to know the values of MKIVs . I have owned 9 MKIVs in 5 years and sold 5 .. I always got what I want and made money.

Just like I said, it all depends on what is on the car and who built it and if one is patient in selling. If you think posting a $40k car will sell right away , then you must me dreaming. It takes a while but it will sell. Not every one selling a supra for $40k means it is worth 40k ... exactly the reason why one may not be selling . But a 1000rwhp MKIV that is built reliably by people who know what they are doing to hold that power will definitely sell. It might take time but it will sell. Only people who do not know what they are buying will think it is expensive so they don't buy it. A lot of people want to be cheap in having a performance car , then they are the first to complain that they have an unreliable car.

Even your 5 speed car posting it at $3k will take a while , lmaol , much more a $40k car ? Are you serious ? Expecting them to sell quick ?You said it yourself , you sparingly browse... lmaol, even that of Geo of Realstreet which you say had lots of publicity from the press TOOK A LOT OF MONTHS , lmaol. He started selling that as early as last year December if I am not mistaken. Wasn't getting what he want . Decided to build it more. Posted it a couple of times on ebay for around $75k .. didn't sell, posted it more on SF , then built it more and then posted it for a HIGHER PRICE and then finally sold it. He was patient but it took a lot of time. Performance cars takes time to sell , plain and simple.

IF a $3k car would take a while to sell , how do you expect a $40k car to sell quick ? lmaol... smh ! It is not like a lot of people have $40k to blow away just like that on a car. Many , that includes me are not rich like you who can afford to buy any car or build a car anytime , lmaol.

You say , that the $20k NAs are not selling... lmaol. Yeah , wait a while, when those sellers won't budge , they keep their cars and there are more and more people looking for them , they will sell like hotcakes at the price they want... lol. Four years ago I bought a stock 6 speed for $14k because at that time they sell around $20-22k. After two weeks, someone offered me $20k and sold it. Now do your research , how much do they sell ? ..well over $28k , could have doubled my money in 4 years. The thing with the MKIVs , if you got it at a bargain , you can enjoy it and when you are tired of it and want to sell it you can still make money.

Last edited by gerrb; 11-16-15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 12:51 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

ive already have two friends who will pick it up from me, if i let it go lol. still tossing up the idea of packing my stuff up and just moving to another state to start a new life. just getting back from NYC, and i can see how it pretty much ****s on atlanta, in every way. i'd like to visit cali first, since it's a lot like NYC, except you have to drive. it'll probably be either/or since any other city doesn't sound too appealing to me. there is nothing left for me here in GA. lol
Old 11-16-15, 01:25 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Junan you are young , you just pretty much finished school and you are already giving up . Wherever you are , if you have the attitude of giving up just because of you not getting right away what you want, you will never be successful wherever you go. Nobody gets rich over night just like nobody sells a $40k car over night , lmaol. I have been in almost all the States of this country and Atlanta is a place I would say one of the best to build a life in every way... weather, economy , cost of living ...you name it . If you are saying there is nothing here in Atlanta for you then think again , something is wrong, either you took the wrong course or simply just impatient to be rich right away .. lmaol.

Since the engine is open , I have decided to install all ARP fasteners . I had ARP rod bolts around so I installed them. Just ordered ARP Mains and Head studs today. I will change the head studs one by one without changing head gasket or lifting out the head. I just want it all to have ARP fasteners even if it is a temporary engine for the 1997 SC300 . It is usually recommended that whenever you use ARP mains or rod bolts , you need to line hone the block or re-size the rods since clamping force of ARP is different. I did re-measure however the bearing clearances on the mains and rods with the ARP fasteners and am good.

Rod Bolts
Name:  20151116_160332_zpsin6cxwhq.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  275.9 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 11-16-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 01:41 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i just ready for a change of life i suppose. i really enjoyed NYC.
Old 11-17-15, 08:42 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeesh NYC, sorry too crowded and too many rules/stupid laws.

Gerrb, Jesus with all those swaps, just out of curiosity have you ever thought of swapping a 2jz into something different, like an frs/brz, s2000, g35, rx-8, etc. just thinking about it there's a lot of cool cars with horribly underpowered power plants plus some of them could be had cheaply under the right circumstances...just a thought. Plus a lot of those cars are in some situations 1000lbs lighter.
Old 11-17-15, 10:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

NYC and Cali are both places that you have to work very hard just to keep afloat.. good places to visit, but to live takes some serious determination, especially when you have to carve a path in the snow at 7am to get to the subway and thats only the first part of getting anywhere. I lived in DC for a couple years and yeah... not living there again but they are both great places to have fun. If you love the metro lifestyle then it may be worth it. I still remember a particular Friday where I circled my block for an hour and a half before I found parking, seriously do not miss that anymore.

you gotta watch out with 2jz's in light chassis cars. I used to think a built 2jz 240sx would be silly fast and fun to have, until I started talking to people who have done that and its sad but what I encounetered were some pretty bad horror stories of 240's being mangled from too much power and slamming walls, etc... basically just too much power in a chassis that can't handle it. That extra weight of the SC and supra everyone complains about is what makes them stable. The FD rx7 is a good example of lots of power and very light weight, and having driven one of those and a supra I can hands down say the supra was confidence inspiring, and the rx7 you just pray to the LSD gods that the vehicle stays straight.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-17-15 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 11:31 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

welp, guess i should move to europe LOL
Old 11-17-15, 12:01 PM
1SICKGT
Driver School Candidate

welp, guess i should move to europe LOL

you would love it over there way better than here