Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 06:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Craig , it is surely one of the rare good deal out there. That I wouldn't deny. You seldom see these kind of deals in which with a few parts , you get your money back. Exactly the reason I didn't let it pass my way even if I don't need it. I will get back my money surely and will have a lot of good parts left for my cars. What I am trying to say is , looks like we have better SCs for sale at a better price here in the SE compared to other states.The beauty of cars that reside in the South East all their life is they don't have stubborn rusts that plague cars coming from the North.

We will see how it goes with the MKIV am currently selling and the 6 speed I am eyeing. Only if it is given at the price I wanted , then I will grab it. You know me , I just grab them for investments cause I know I am surely more than doubling my money on the Supras I currently have now.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-25-17 at 06:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (03-10-17)
Old 02-25-17, 07:14 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Yes, I know you're very deliberate in your purchases especially with MKIV's

I agree with you though. Southeastern cars generally fare well if they have been cared for. West coast cars generally do also but I think the pool to choose from is smaller because people tend to keep and drive them longer than usual. Condition tends to vary all over so I agree that it's probably down to the climate that a car has lived most of its life in. Great exceptions show up all over too but I agree with you.
Old 03-04-17, 05:40 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Gerry, that VVT-i SC400 is beautiful! That's definitely a good car as-is. I read what you said about knowing where to look but it's still a lucky find for the price!

And possibly a new MKIV on the way! Things are definitely getting interesting in your 2017 stable
Yes, I know you're very deliberate in your purchases especially with MKIV's

I agree with you though. Southeastern cars generally fare well if they have been cared for. West coast cars generally do also but I think the pool to choose from is smaller because people tend to keep and drive them longer than usual. Condition tends to vary all over so I agree that it's probably down to the climate that a car has lived most of its life in. Great exceptions show up all over too but I agree with you.

A friend and a local member here bought the bare shell with the drive train and Supra MKIV front and rear brakes. He would like to install an APTech kit and continue to use the car as an SC400. On my end , I would have parted it out since I have more than enough SCs I can handle or would have returned it to a running car and would have sold it after having taken everything I wanted from the car. That car would still have sold at least $3k I believe. I have taken out the whole black interior , wheels , +1997 body kit and Stance SS coilovers.

Yeah this year , with so much SCs to be painted , I will learn to paint my cars. It is a skill worth learning . Got nothing to loose. It would help me save tons of money and be able to paint or change color of my toys anytime I want to .

MKIVs at this point are investments for me. Will only grab another one if indeed it is a deal that will be hard to pass. I love playing with my sleepers more, fooling around with the newer cars, they not knowing what you have on your old car . With the MKIVs , they are very much an attention getter which am becoming uncomfortable with. You basically can't go anywhere without anybody on the road "shouting ... Supra" or "giving you a thumbs up" or "saying nice car " or "trying to test you by revving beside you" .

Tried the wheels with brand new tires that Brandon , who sold the SC400 above , gave to me as part of the sale. I simply didn't like them on the Black Pearl so I believe they will go in one of the red SCs since they have 285 / 245 radial tires. I need drag radials anyway on the Black Pearl .

Name:  20170303_114323_zps8qymcor9.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  315.0 KB

Name:  20170303_114143_zpsdvjuvuj0.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  325.8 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 03-08-17 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-04-17, 04:09 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerrb
A friend and a local member here bought the bare shell with the drive train and Supra MKIV front and rear brakes. He would like to install an APTech kit and continue to use the car as an SC400. On my end , I would have parted it out since I have more than enough SCs I can handle or would have returned it to a running car and would have sold it after having taken everything I wanted from the car. That car would still have sold at least $3k I believe. I have taken out the whole black interior , wheels , +1997 body kit and Stance SS coilovers.

Yeah this year , with so much SCs to be painted , I will learn to paint my cars. It is a skill worth learning . Got nothing to loose. It would help me save tons of money and be able to paint or change color of my toys anytime I want to .

MKIVs at this point are investments for me. Will only grab another one if indeed it is a deal that will be hard to pass. I love playing with my sleepers more, fooling around with the newer cars, they not knowing what you have on your old car . With the MKIVs , they are very much an attention getter which am becoming uncomfortable with. You basically can't go anywhere without anybody on the road "shouting ... Supra" or "giving you a thumbs up" or "saying nice car " or "trying to test you by revving beside you" .

Tried the wheels with brand new tires that Brandon , who sold the SC400 above , gave to me as part of the sale. I simply didn't like them on the Black Pearl so I believe they will go in one of the red SCs since they have 285 / 245 radial tires. I need drag radials anyway on the Black Pearl .

Old girl is stil sexy..something about that black🤤
Old 03-05-17, 07:31 AM
geauxsimon
Driver

What kind of mufflers are those on the red mamba? GT spec?
Old 03-05-17, 12:35 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi g. the pistons are installed, I will update my thread in 10 mins.
Old 03-05-17, 04:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by geauxsimon
Old girl is stil sexy..something about that black��
The black interior of Black Pearl have been replaced with a lot better one with red stiches . It got to have the best of course . As I have mentioned to you on our text messages , all I need to practice now is painting so I can repaint my toys any time I want to. I would buy a really huge compressor this summer. The 15 gallons I have is small. Painting is a skill I really want to acquire.

Originally Posted by geauxsimon
What kind of mufflers are those on the red mamba? GT spec?
Got Dual Apexi GT Spec on one and Dual Magnaflow on the other red car. But the single 4" HKS Super Dragger on the Old Man Tan is what I love most . I had an extra Apexi GT Spec I sold while back to a guy in San Diego through SF. Need to find a real good single for the Black Pearl once I have the stroker on it. Right now , it has the dual stock SC300 exhaust with the stock 2jzgte vvti / v160 6speed . I am looking at a 5" Burns muffler because I got the 5" down and midpipe for it... or maybe dual 4" Burns not unless I would just cover the right side opening of the APTech rear bumper.

Originally Posted by megamax
hi g. the pistons are installed, I will update my thread in 10 mins.
Am glad you are done with the built engine Jim . Just happy I was of help to you with those pistons.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-05-17 at 04:36 PM. Reason: qu
Old 03-08-17, 07:44 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I have received 3 PMs and 2 text messages in the past 4 days about electric fans . Let me voice my opinion here. FOR ME , IS300 fans are one of the best that will be sufficient for 99.5% of people on this forum if indeed you need to go with electric fans. I have proven them on a +1000rwhp car . They give you around 3300 cfm of air. They are OEM on the Lexus IS cars so they are reliable. Take note though that there are fake or aftermarket ones roaming around Ebay. The stock IS300 dual fans already have a shroud and even a coolant reservoir plus they really do not cost that much second hand. If you can keep the clutch fan though , keep it , it is the best for our boosted 2JZs.

When you install electric fans , use one that is more than enough to cool your setup. Surely there would be those who will say oh.. these one will give you more air . IMHO , it is not a matter of giving more air cause there are other factors to worry about. With me the dual IS300 fans is more than enough to cool down a 1000rwhp car for which I have more than enough proven it. Those dual fans draw less than 28 amps of current. Someone ask me why will I not go with the 1780 cfm SPAL fans x 2 = 3560 cfm ? The rationale is simple , if you don't need it , why will you go for them ? What is the current draw of the fans ? Like I was doing a research on those 1780cfm SPAL fans , they draw 34 amps so if you have two , that is a 68 amp current draw when both fans are in max usage. Without a huge alternator with a high amperage rating , it will kill your battery quick especially when your lights and AC are on. I would say the IS300 fans are more than enough for most if not all SC users. Besides for the price of one of those SPAL , you already can get your OEM IS300 dual fan setup on Ebay.

You can control them in low or high speed using your aftermarket ECU or two Coolant Fan Switches installed on your radiator. You will first need to know the size of the holes in your radiator then get the fan switches that matches those sizes and then the temperature you want the switch to activate .

Below you will find the different diagrams and some explanations I have done for Ed some time back ..

This is what I have on Red Mamba One with two IS300 fans. It is a lot simpler , less wiring and less components...only 3 relays to take care of the switching from low speed to high speed .

Name:  is300fanswiring_zpse2a8ef94.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  37.1 KB

With the above diagram ,

A) You should have at least one relay that should have 5 pins (2 for pin 85 & 86 which is the relay coil , 30 is for common and would be used for the voltage supply , 87a is the normally closed pin , 87 is the normally open pin ) , for the other two relays you can used a 4 pin relay ( those relays do not have the 87a which is the Normally Close pin ) or it doesn't hurt to use 5 pin relays for all the three.

b) Connect AEM Wire 1 to any available LOW Side (these connects the wire to ground to complete the circuit where as HIGH SIDE provides +voltage) switching output of your ECU... in this case your AEM.

c) Enable that switch on the AEM and set the parameters / conditions when you want it to toggle the switch to ON. Like , you want the AEM lets say to toggle that switch to ON when it sees Coolant TEMP at 160. You can add other parameters available there.. There are around 5 conditions you can set. You can set the condition also when to toggle it OFF based on whatever temperature you want.

NOTE: DO NOT set those ON & OFF temperatures so near each other , otherwise your fans will be cycling on & off like crazy and will never transition back to LOW SPEED... I would say at least 5-10 degrees in between the ON & OFF settings.

d) Once your ecu sees that all conditions are met .. it toggles that LOW SIDE switch to ON thereby grounding that AEM Wire 1

e) With AEM Wire 1 grounded , it energizes the coil of Relay 2 , thus the internal switch of Relay 2 is activated. And following the diagram , voltage is supplied from pin 30 of Relay 2 to Fan 1 and also to Fan 2 since the diagram shows that they are in series.

f) Being in series , there would be voltage drop for each fan , basically like dividing the +12 volts into two (6v for each fan) that is why they run at a lower speed.

g) Now for AEM Wire 2 , again set the condition you want, let's say 178... again once that condition is met , Relay 1 and Relay 3 are energized . Because of the switching we did through how we wired the relays , each fan now has his own +12v supply , thus they are running faster (HIGH SPEED).

NOTE : I would personally set the HIGH Speed Conditions at a higher temperature like 190 on my end. The less they go on High Speed , better cause those fans at high speed uses huge amount of current and if your alternator is not able to return it to your battery , it will kill that battery especially at night when all the lights are on too. Since you are using a TRD 160 thermostat where the coolant is brought back to the radiator to be cooled, you may not even see them go on high speed depending on the conditions you set. Just experiment what is the best TEMP settings to turn them ON and OFF on your particular setup.

Also make sure that if AEM Wire 2 is switched to ON , AEM Wire 1 is also ON. Theoretically it should cause the conditions of your AEM Wire 1 is at a lower temperature so it is still ON at the moment AEM Wire 2 is switched to ON , otherwise only the fan on the right of the diagram will be running. So be careful in setting your ON/OFF conditions for both AEM wire 1 & 2.

Don't worry about the AC. Even if your AC is ON all the time or not , your fans are controlled by what temperature your ECU sees. IF you set your high speed ON condition to 178 , then regardless whether your AC is on or off , those fans will be on HIGH SPEED the moment that ECU senses your engine is going hot (above your preset condition)

As for which of the two wires on the plug of the fans you will use , it will now depend on which pin number each of the two fan motor wires were connected. This is what you can do, once it is all setup , you will need to make sure that the fans are sucking air out of the radiator rather than pushing air towards the radiator. Just reverse the wiring on the plug of the fan if they are not sucking air. You won't damage the fan if those wires are inverted. The fan will just rotate on the opposite direction (reverse) ... a fan is made up of a big coil of wire so there is no polarity per se.

NOTE : The relays can all have a common switched/fused +12 volts supply. The same with the fans. Just be aware of the size of wires you use on the fans, they draw a lot of amperage.

For those who are not on stand alone ECUs and want to use the IS300 electric fans and want to control their operation based on temperature monitoring of the engine coolant , here is what you can do..

Get two Coolant Temperature Switches from NAPA or anywhere. Most radiators have two ports at the bottom to screw on these coolant temp switches. Get one lets say that closes at 160F for Coolant Temp Sensor 1 and another sensor that closes at 190F. for Coolant Temp Sensor 2. . Remember , first get the sizes of the holes of your radiator then get the the coolant fan switch with the same thread and pitch and with the temperature sensitivity you want them to turn on and off.

The bigger hole at the bottom of my radiator has an M16-1.5 thread pitch. The smaller hole / drain hole is M10-1.25 on mine . I believe the stock drain hole is M14-2.0 . So you need to look for fan switches with those thread pitch. You can also use two 3/8 NPT fan switches by converting the M16-1.5 to 3/8 NPT then a Tee{T} fitting.

Note that such sensors also have closing temp and opening temp meaning, the switch closes at a particular temperature and opens up again at a lower temperature so check those numbers based on what temperature you want the fans to operate.

Here is the wiring diagram.. instead of the standalone ECU (AEM above) , you have coolant temperature switches ...operates exactly the same way based on coolant temperature.

Name:  is300fanswiring2_zps7ed585f9.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  40.2 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 05-09-17 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 09:57 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

You are da bomb...you deserve the Congressional Medal of SC! ��
Old 03-10-17, 04:34 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Anybody have experience with the Q60 Infinity Performance Line (IPL) Front Seats ? Someone has these kind of seats on his SC and wanted to trade with some hard to find good condition black interior parts so he can complete his interior. They are exactly as pictured like new coming from a brand new Q60 that was in an accident and they have the red stitches . The seats already have the correct base and had already been wired to the SC so all the different functionalities do work. Sat on them and they seem comfortable so tomorrow we will do the swap since it was already dark when we discussed it today.

Planning to move the black seats with red stitches that are on the Black Pearl to the Red Mamba Two and these ones going to the Black Pearl which for me should always get the best since it will be my best SC eventually. And the black seats on the Red Mamba Two going to my 3rd 1997 SC300 5 speed . I will turn it's tan interior into black while I slowly gather the different black pieces.

Name:  IPLSeatD_zpsfyk8uejm.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  201.4 KB

Name:  IPLSeatP_zpsaqftdonu.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  174.0 KB

Name:  IPLSeatR_zpssuen0j3p.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  167.9 KB

Name:  IPLSeatR2_zps5z8drmru.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  214.0 KB

Name:  IPLSeatR3_zpsv9r1trj6.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  309.0 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 03-10-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-10-17, 06:02 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

I do like those IPL seats! Very nice find, Gerry! You'll show us some pictures once they're installed, yes?
Old 03-11-17, 05:23 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I do like those IPL seats! Very nice find, Gerry! You'll show us some pictures once they're installed, yes?
Will do Craig if he comes around today and didn't change his mind .
Old 03-11-17, 05:37 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Those seats look really nice and I bet are extremely comfortable! I hope he comes around cause I'd like to see them installed too
Old 03-11-17, 01:38 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Those seats look really nice and I bet are extremely comfortable! I hope he comes around cause I'd like to see them installed too
The guy came around and was true to his word. We took the seats out of his car and I gave him what he wanted. He was converting his car into a Black and Beige combination interior. He needed black window trims , black A pillars , tan door panels .and he will come back to get the black upper dashboard which Eldon my buddy is gonna bring early this week. I also gave him a set of old tan seats so he can drive his car around .

I haven't installed them yet but here they are . Seats are really in very good condition. They actually look like new. Was doing a research about these seats and Ebay has them for over a $1000 that are not even in good shape as these. Looks like Black Pearl will have two new front seats since its center console arm rest and rear seat and back rest also have the red stitches .

Name:  20170311_161906_zpssg2ssb6j.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  194.3 KB

Name:  20170311_161928_zps88pwjzkr.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  192.1 KB

Name:  20170311_162001_zpsdrtchvsh.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  231.4 KB

Name:  20170311_161734_zps8drkjlhi.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  199.7 KB

Name:  20170311_161211_zpsmwydk1kh.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  208.9 KB

Name:  20170311_161842_zpspzckvvyk.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  200.2 KB

red stitches

Name:  20170311_161533_zpsxiyozg5x.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  185.3 KB

the front even adjusts like those of the recaro

Name:  20170311_161813_zpsigb3gvpi.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  183.1 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 03-11-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 06:09 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Jerry, Seats look AWESOME! Can't wait to see them in that 1 of 120!!

Question about the is300 fans... is it recommended to use an IS300 radiator? I thought somewhere I read that the shroud/fans don't fit our radiator correctly. I could be wrong with this info which is why I am turning to you for clarity. When I do my gte vvti swap, I think i'll go with is300 fans for a cleaner look but need to know if the radiator makes a difference. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys