Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 06:46 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Jerry, Seats look AWESOME! Can't wait to see them in that 1 of 120!!

Question about the is300 fans... is it recommended to use an IS300 radiator? I thought somewhere I read that the shroud/fans don't fit our radiator correctly. I could be wrong with this info which is why I am turning to you for clarity. When I do my gte vvti swap, I think i'll go with is300 fans for a cleaner look but need to know if the radiator makes a difference. Thanks!
Thanks Jim . They indeed look good. I want to enable every features of these seats. They only wired some of the movement features, not all features. I am currently studying their wiring diagram so I can wire everything through our stock switches like heater switches, etc. Then I will install them on the Black Pearl.

You can use any SC or Supra radiator . Not all the mounting holes will be in line but what we do is just fabricate mounting brackets made of aluminum or metal strips. As long as that shroud is firm against that radiator , you should be good. I have it on an aftermarket Koyorad and CXRacing Supra radiators and had to cut some metal / aluminum strips to fasten the shroud against the radiators.
Old 03-14-17, 04:25 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

These Infinity Q60 IPL Seats are awesome . Been rewiring them so I can use every feature they have to offer before I install them in one of the SCs. I thought of installing them in one of the MKIVs but the SC base is what have been installed / welded under the seats so I can only install them on an SC without any base modification. Only the power lines to get the seats moving have been connected.

One of the best feature I like aside from the usual lumbar and all other features which our Lexus seats have to offer is you can inflate and deflate the back rest side bolsters and the seat cushion side bolsters using the two switches on the front of the seat. The driver seat has a damn air pump which enables the seat to hug you even better .... hahaha...like a sleep number bed huh ? Only thing though is they are almost as heavy as our Lexus Seats ... well with so many motors and features to make us more comfortable what do you expect . It is a luxury car so we will keep all the luxury features and more. After all , all that weight can easily be taken cared of by the horsepower the car will eventually make without sacrificing the luxury features and comfort for day to day driving.

Name:  IPLSeatD_zpsfyk8uejm.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  201.4 KB

Then I would need to secure those two rotary switches found in many later model Infinity cars and install them on our shifter bezel . They not only turn on and off the seat heaters , they actually adjust the heat in 6 different levels . There are 4 heaters that are located on the seat cushion and back rest of each seat.

Name:  iplsetrotary_zpsxahs8imk.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  218.4 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 03-14-17 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 06:16 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Talking Thanks to Every One who followed the Build Thread !

Five years today , 03/19/12 , I started this build thread. I never wrenched nor turned a bolt and nut before this thread. My desire and determination to learn because of bad experiences with these performance cars had enabled me to be able to tear apart my toys and assemble even a built engine. Thanks to all the people who have helped me learn. Just too many to mention one by one who in one way or another taught me a thing or two about these toys. I couldn't say I know everything .. still learning every day as I tinker with my toys and do a lot of reading and verifying what I read.

In the past 5 years , 13 SCs passed my hands , majority of them I just parted them out to get the best parts for my toys. That enabled me to have the best interiors for my SCs... 3 full black interiors , 2 full tan/beige interiors and 1 Black and Beige interior. Aside from my MKIVs , now I have 5 SCs with 2jzGTE , 3 of them with built ATF Trans and 2 of them with the V160 6 speed trans which are actually on the rare 1997 SC300 5 speed cars. Still have one 1997 SC300 5 speed which I currently am restoring that will get a Tremec Magnum 6 speed and built engine. I originally thought of just restoring it to a stock 1997 5 speed then let it go but I think it is worth experiencing the Tremec Magnum 6 speed since I already have a new built Tremec which I bought when I sold a used V160. I do want to experience how that trans perform and compare it with the V160 6 speed.

Thanks for all who followed my build thread. The most viewed build thread in any automotive website as far as I know. With over +750k views , it gets an average of more than 400 views every day in the past 1825 days (5 years). I started the thread with the intention of encouraging others to work on their cars. It is not rocket science. There are just too many people out there who pretend to help but are actually just after what money they can make from you. Wait till they are not making any money from you . You will know a real friend when you got no money to spend. Nobody will take care of your sh?t better than you do.

Now that I can take apart my toys in pieces and put them together , my next endeavor starting this year is to learn how to paint good. Got a number of cars that need painting so I might as well learn. That will enable me to refresh or even change the color of my toys anytime I want to.

Really glad a lot of people , based on PMs I receive , are being helped by my build thread. People going back and forth my build thread learning a thing or two . Once again thanks to every one who followed the thread .

Last edited by gerrb; 03-18-17 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (03-20-17)
Old 03-18-17, 08:15 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome Gerry! And thanks so much to you for taking the time to document everything that you have done throughout this thread and for all of the advice and knowledge that you pass to us through this thread, PM's, and even text messages
Old 03-18-17, 02:30 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
That's awesome Gerry! And thanks so much to you for taking the time to document everything that you have done throughout this thread and for all of the advice and knowledge that you pass to us through this thread, PM's, and even text messages
Glad to be able to help whenever I can. I just want to apologize for the many who at times I am not able to answer their PMs or text messages. I get so many of them that I couldn't possibly get through every one of them.

Saturday is usually a lazy day for me but decided to do some work on the 3rd 1997 SC300 5 speed , my 6th 2jzGTE SC , which is in the back yard . Was moving good parts from my 1997 SC300 red parts car to the 1997 SC300 5 speed.

Name:  20170317_123630_zpse41ywl0w.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  373.8 KB

Name:  20170317_123700_zpsrn2jq47s.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  368.1 KB

Many do not know about the cross bar under the dashboard being a bare metal. Being old cars , due to cold , heat , humidity and moisture, anything that is not painted can develop rust . The cross bar under the dashboard was left as a bare metal so it can start rusting . So decided to sand it down and paint it then install it back ..

Name:  20170317_125733_zpsd7cqs3lh.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  243.3 KB

Name:  20170317_123532_zpsvlz1myar.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  340.2 KB

Name:  20170317_123514_zps6qtrxolb.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  277.2 KB

Name:  20170318_102846_001_zpsemtnps8o.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  189.0 KB

Name:  20170318_102830_001_zpsymiqdgxx.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  191.3 KB

Ending the day with a few beers on my Club Lexus Glass while I decide which sticker goes to which SC depending on the color of the car. Just wondering where the right place to put them.... rear glass or driver side quarter glass.

Name:  20170318_165727_zpslmubn284.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  288.2 KB

Name:  20170318_165709_zpspaeccrjd.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  182.3 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 03-18-17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 10:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

From the one time I took my entire dashboard out I did notice that the big crossbar reinforcement was bare metal. I can't believe Toyota did that. At some point if I replace the dashboard in mine I will paint it also.

Your green 5-speed looks good so far Gerry! As always, I'm looking forward to seeing more as it comes
Old 03-19-17, 06:44 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
From the one time I took my entire dashboard out I did notice that the big crossbar reinforcement was bare metal. I can't believe Toyota did that. At some point if I replace the dashboard in mine I will paint it also.

Your green 5-speed looks good so far Gerry! As always, I'm looking forward to seeing more as it comes
Trying to convert the interior of that green 5 speed into black since the other two 97 SC300 with 6 speed already have good full black interiors .

In fact I will probably install the Q60 Infinity Performance Line (IPL) seats into that car since I didn't want to touch anymore the interiors of my SCs with black interiors. I have worked so hard to make them all in great shape already and tired of moving things around. After all, that car originally had heated seats so I can use the switches and wiring it already has.

I just realized that the 6P2 Classic Green Pearl Color only came out in 1997 cars. So that makes it even more rare aside from being an original 1997 SC300 5 speed , 1 of 120 . Can't believe I have 3 of the 120 now .

Last edited by gerrb; 03-19-17 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 04:28 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerry, in a day where everyone is going instagram, Facebook, etc etc and forums like this where you have to post links to photos, threads like these are a dying breed. I remember when these threads 5-10 years ago were commonplace. Now it seems all everyone wants to do is snap photos and not explain what's going on in it. What you do is insane I know all of this documentation is extremely time consuming and the write-ups take usually twice as long.

My hats off to you sir, because of your example I've justified going through 4 sc300's, I'm down to 3 now getting ready to buy a bigger house to keep all my crap better spaced out. I really wish I had the time you had to put out content like you do.

Hell when people approach me about my cars and they have the same, they usually don't even know about this thread.

Imho, this and Ali's thread are the two most helpful threads on clublexus.
Old 03-20-17, 11:19 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

When I removed my crossbar I had it powdercoated before I put it back in.
Old 03-20-17, 09:30 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
I just realized that the 6P2 Classic Green Pearl Color only came out in 1997 cars. So that makes it even more rare aside from being an original 1997 SC300 5 speed , 1 of 120 . Can't believe I have 3 of the 120 now .
in post #3822 i already pointed this out! hahaha
Old 03-21-17, 06:09 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Reyke
Imho, this and Ali's thread are the two most helpful threads on clublexus.
Thanks for the kind words !

Originally Posted by Reyke
My hats off to you sir, because of your example I've justified going through 4 sc300's, I'm down to 3 now getting ready to buy a bigger house to keep all my crap better spaced out. I really wish I had the time you had to put out content like you do.
Good for you . For me , I build these SCs to keep me busy. And pretty sure I will get back my investments and a little more once am done playing with them. I am doing all the work so I save tons of money. I build them using parts only I get from good deals that is why I take my sweet time. Even painting , I told myself "if they can do it .. I can do it", the same attitude I planted in my mind before I started wrenching on my toys. So I will work on the cosmetics myself. I believe my toys will appreciate just because they have the 2jzGTE drive train which is getting more expensive as time pass . Keep in mind these SCs are all 2jzGTE. That is one reason why I stayed with that platform based on my experiences on the MKIVs.

I had good luck on all the 10 MKIVs that passed my hands and that includes the 4 MKIVs I still currently have. What I have on them will be more than double .. actually nearer to triple once am ready to let go. Right now I do believe they will still inch up in values . They are all original 6 speeds (2 of them have 3.4 stroker motors , 2 of them are very hard to find / rare original 6 speed hard tops) that is why their values have really risen to the roof. Hopefully I will have same luck with my 2jzGTE SCs . They are toys in which I am enjoying while building them and I know I will get good returns from all of them once I am done playing with them.

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
When I removed my crossbar I had it powdercoated before I put it back in.
Nice Ryan ... that will prevent it from rusting in the future

Originally Posted by Ezroni
in post #3822 i already pointed this out! hahaha
Checking that post , indeed you did. Hahaha .. I am a very forgetful man especially money I owe.. hahaha .

Last edited by gerrb; 03-22-17 at 05:28 AM.
Ezroni (03-21-17)
Old 03-22-17, 03:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Nice color matching and the beer glass is slick, now I know what to do with all those extra stickers
Old 03-23-17, 05:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Default Why I need to learn how to paint !

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Nice color matching and the beer glass is slick, now I know what to do with all those extra stickers
It was a coincidence actually . That Rustoleum green paint was the only thing I had that prevents and kills rust at the same time . And coincidentally it was the day or day after St. Patrick when I decided .. let me do some internal cleaning up on the 3rd 1997 SC300 5 speed .

These are the reasons why I need to learn how to paint ! These four cars are ready for a paint job. They all have the 2jzGTE drive train and they all have the best interiors one can hope for , two with black interiors and two with tan interiors. So I need to start working on the cosmetics .. external appearances like pulling better the fenders and quarter panels so they will look better and fit wider tires, installing coil-overs on two that are not yet as low as I want them and looking for the right wheels / tires setup having in mind the power that each car makes . For the other two 1997 SC300 original 5 speed I have , one doesn't need a paint job and the other isn't a running car as of today.... so four good reasons for now , the other one would follow once it is running.

Learning how to paint my own cars will enable me to refresh or change the colors of my cars anytime I want to. It will also save me tons of money. Imagine 5 SCs needing a paint job. At a minimum of let's say $2.5k per car that is a whopping $12.5k . And that is not even the best paint job in town. I probably won't even spend $5k if I do all the work . The rest can be spent for go fast goodies....maybe a 3.4L Stroker Crank with CP Pistons, Carillo HD Rods with Carr Bolts , Billet Mains and 625+ Head Studs / Main Studs for the Black Pearl ? That set is around $7.5k . Well if I can save that by doing my own paint job then it basically will be a freebee . And keep in mind "no one takes better care of your sh?t than you will" so doing things yourself when you can is the best way to go.

Doing the painting will enable me to acquire a skill that I will be able to put to use anytime I need some touching up or even a full paint job . It might take time to be a real good painter cause it needs a lot of practice but I don't think it is rocket science. Have started frequenting other forums to learn and start gathering the equipment necessary to do a good paint job. I am very confident I will get there just like I never wrenched five years ago but I can assure you, now I can tear apart my toys to the last bolt and nut , last wire and pin of every connector and put it all together with even a built engine or wiring I have put together. Again thanks for all the people and motor shops who had a hand in my journey up to this point.

As you can tell , I have a 92-96 look SC , a 1997 - 2000 look SC and SCs with the look of an Auto Couture Body kit on them though made much better by APTech since they are made of poly-urethane that will be very hard to break. The idea of a 2jzGTE SC430 hasn't been totally scratched out yet. I still want a convertible with a 2jzGTE . That will complete my SC collection. And dang ..... Irving and APTech , I don't know whatever happened to them .. communication was slacking lately . I still am interested in an APTech wide body kit but tough when they don't posts on their threads , answer questions so we know what is happening .

Name:  4pic5_zpsievbppzh.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  318.2 KB

Name:  4pic4_zpsu6lpj8iy.jpg
Size:  228.9 KB

Name:  4pic6_zpselaqdvna.jpg
Size:  347.2 KB

Name:  4pic2_zpsrm7k3p6b.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  343.2 KB

Name:  4pic3_zpsggres9ob.jpg
Size:  335.8 KB

Name:  4pic1_zpsfth1iefl.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  353.8 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 03-24-17 at 05:55 AM.
Ezroni (03-23-17)
Old 03-24-17, 06:18 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

After a lot of thinking on where to install the Infinity Performance Line seats , decided that they should be on the Black Pearl being the cream of the crop eventually. Every thing works now except for the seat heaters since I am still waiting for my 6 point rotary switches which should be around today. I will install the rotary switches that control the seat warmers in 6 different levels on the lower part of the shifter bezel. This car didn't come with heated seats from the factory . If your car didn't come with seat warmers , depending on the year , the seat heater relay and/or the wiring from the fuse to the shifter bezel / switches to the other junction / connectors on the passenger foot well are missing. So you would have to install those to enable seat warmers with stock wiring .

The current seats and center console of the Black Pearl have red stitches so these seats are a perfect match having red stitches too. After installing them , I took the car for a test drive and all I can say is I love these seats . They are awesome with all the features they have ... nice , sporty and comfy. As I have mentioned before , the driver seat has a damn back rest and seat bolster pump to inflate or deflate the bolsters so you can be well seated and be hugged .

Name:  20170323_163142_zpsiwokriio.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  206.8 KB

Name:  20170323_163206_zpsxtedcsgy.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  191.5 KB

Name:  20170323_173708_zpsbedssndo.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  199.3 KB

Name:  20170323_173553_zpswqzqzxo0.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  229.1 KB

Name:  20170323_163251_zpszbxchaas.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  188.0 KB

Name:  20170323_173632_zpshapvdrvl.jpg
Size:  165.1 KB

These were the seats taken out of the Black Pearl .. and were installed on the Red Mamba Two since they have red stitches. They have seat warmers too so I did enable the seat heater wiring for Red Mamba Two and replaced the shifter bezel with one that had the heater switches.

Name:  20170323_174027_zpsjaa3ww7l.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  215.9 KB

And these are the perforated seats taken out of Red Mamba Two which I am installing on the Green Pearl (1997 SC300 5speed being worked on) . I am converting the tan interior of that car into a full black interior so all my 3 original 1997 SC300 5 speeds (1 of 120) will all have black interiors. These seats have seat warmers too which the Green Pearl had too originally.

Name:  20170323_190712_zpsobkk9ygw.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  253.5 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 03-24-17 at 04:34 PM.
Ezroni (03-24-17)
Old 03-24-17, 08:55 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Those IPL seats look like they are really tall and the seating position would be really high....

Also, that red sc with the 95-96 bumper and oem lip looks great. I think its the best looking front end on the SC

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys