Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by APTech
coming along great gerrb!
Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Looking good so far with RM1!
Originally Posted by geauxsimon
Looking good brother!!! Keep up the awesome work
Thank you guys !

The Work Wheels Dealership called me back yesterday and asked me if I wanted to switch to Work Meister S1 3p instead of the VS-XX since the former have concave instead of flat spokes. With the amount of lip I wanted on the wheels which is around 5" rears & 3" fronts, after giving them the measurements of the Big Brake Kits that I have , they are afraid that I will have a clearance problem. I told them I will think about it and get back with them so I am back to square one on the wheels. I already have those Meister S1 in one of my MKIVs that is why I didn't choose them in the first place. Besides I don't want a step lip this time. A full 5 inch flat lip (full reverse) just looks sick in my opinion that is why I wanted the VS-XX.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-13-17 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 06:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Working on the body of your car before sending it out for a paint job , if you are not painting it yourself , would save you tons of money. It is not rocket science to pull the small dings and dents and straighten / smoothen them out just like I did with OMT yesterday after I was done with RM1's quarter panel flares . You just need to have the right tools like a dent puller. This car's body is in good shape except for the small dings and dents caused in the parking lots I guess. All I have to do is sand the whole car using 320 & 400 grit once I am ready to do the paint job for this car. I will also shave all the badges out of this car.

Am keeping the Mickey Thompsont ET Street II 305/35R18 & 245/40R18 Tires on this car since they are already perfect for the car's ride height and very mild panel pull & a lip roll. And can put to the ground the +900rwhp the car is currently making. This car used to have the 295/50R16 MT ET Street II tires when I tuned it at the dyno. The car was higher at the rear . With the APTech Body Kit , it looks better when it is a bit lowered.

Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170412_200152.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170412_200205.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170412_200227.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 06-29-17 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 10:58 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

A lot of things are running through my mind , now that I will paint my own cars ....

Why don't I paint the 3 1992s into a Red , White and Blue .. . The one with black interior which is RM2 now can get the Blue .. just like the Blue paint of Jimmy or an RSP or Speedway Blue 8P1 like that from a Tacoma . Then the two , since they have tan interiors will be a Ferrari Red (RM1) and Alpine white (OMT) ... hhhmmmm.

Since white is a very forgiving color , that is more likely the first car I will paint
Old 04-15-17, 12:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

White is actually not that easy to paint. Every spec of dust particle, fiber, etc. in the atmosphere will show through the paint.

I would never attempt to paint on my own unless I had the proper paint booth and spray equipment. Every garage paintjob I've seen looks like complete sht. Unless you're the kinda guy who doesn't care about how it looks, and in that case why not just keep the cars the way they are with the original weathered paint.
Old 04-15-17, 01:22 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

for my SCs .... they are not show cars so I don't care much for now. I just want them one color... presentable. They will be used to di?k around with other cars as sleepers . I have my MKIVs for showing off .

I will buy all the equipments needed. The only thing I don't think I will have is a professional paint booth . But all the other equipments I believe I can have them. I can setup a temperature controlled room in my place in the South to start with. We can also rent booths nearby my place once you are about to do base coat / clear coat . Only by doing that someone can learn. Every painter started somewhere so got to do it to learn. Hopefully it gets better for every car I paint . I have 6 cars to paint . Just like , if I didn't start building or tuning my own engines / cars then up to now I am spending tons of money getting them built or tuned every time I make changes on them. So I have to start somewhere. I don't expect the paint job to be same as those done by the professionals . As long as they are presentable , good enough for me. Hopefully one day I can do it a lot better.

When I said white is easier , I meant compared to darker colors it doesn't magnify or show much the flaws for which the darker colors do. That is at least one thing told to me so far in an Automotive Painting Forum and by a local guy who paint cars at a Dealership nearby.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-15-17 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 01:38 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I get it gerrb, and I like the DIY mentality. I am the same way. However being in the detailing business, I know that painting a car without a booth is just not a good idea if you want even a half decent result. Too many elements completely out of your control.

You can have the best spray equipment and best paint and all the experience in the world but you can't control what's in the atmosphere. So essentially all that hard work, prep, etc. is pointless if you have a ton of dust specs and so forth settling in the paint if you do this in your garage. There's nobody in the area that can rent you a booth for the day? Just bring the car fully prepped and primer sanded, mask everything off and spray it. Well worth it in my opinion. Just have them call you on a slow day when they're not painting anything.
Old 04-15-17, 01:52 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I hear you buddy . I know I will learn a lot from guys like you who do a lot to make a car look really good . Your suggestions will be very valuable .

That is what I said in my last post , I can rent a booth nearby when I am ready to do basecoat / clearcoat . We have them around . All they do is rent paint booths for DIYers . That was the plan all along if truly the controlled room I will set up in my place in the South won't work .

I know dust will just ruin your paint job . Things got to be controlled when it comes to dust , moisture and temperature . The place should keep that dust and moisture down on the floor and right termperature is needed for curing and getting the right flash time for your recoatings.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-15-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 02:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome, I must've missed it where you said that was the plan. If that's the case, there is no reason why you can't do excellent work. Definitely practice on some junk panels first to get the feel for it before doing your good cars!
Old 04-15-17, 03:31 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
A lot of things are running through my mind , now that I will paint my own cars ....

Why don't I paint the 3 1992s into a Red , White and Blue .. . The one with black interior which is RM2 now can get the Blue .. just like the Blue paint of Jimmy or an RSP or Speedway Blue 8P1 like that from a Tacoma . Then the two , since they have tan interiors will be a Ferrari Red (RM1) and Alpine white (OMT) ... hhhmmmm.

Since white is a very forgiving color , that is more likely the first car I will paint
Can I suggest Mars Red (Mercedes), Bianco Canopus (Lamborghini), and Monterey Blue (Lamborghini) instead?

*Edit* All these colors are horrible ideas for a beginner, but they all look amazing.
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (04-17-17)
Old 04-15-17, 04:02 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Awesome, I must've missed it where you said that was the plan. If that's the case, there is no reason why you can't do excellent work. Definitely practice on some junk panels first to get the feel for it before doing your good cars!
Yes sir , I will practice first on a trunk lid I have around then the extra shell I have . Then I will paint a set of 1997 body kit which I have been hoarding as reserve for my cars. Then paint on my first running car . I will have lots of practice first. Pretty sure my first car will not be the best but hopefully I get better as I progress. I will learn as I go ... practice makes perfect as they use to say .

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Can I suggest Mars Red (Mercedes), Bianco Canopus (Lamborghini), and Monterey Blue (Lamborghini) instead?

*Edit* All these colors are horrible ideas for a beginner, but they all look amazing.
Dang , just checked those cars' colors and they look really good . I will keep them in mind and do more research on their materials and see if I can do those colors. Looks like those colors are not yet suitable for a wannabee painter like me since they are 3 stage , hahaha. Thanks !

Mercedes Mars Red = C590
Lamborghini Bianco Canopus = PPG 0107
Lamborghini Monterey Blue = PPG 0031

I might have to stick with 2 stage for now ... base coat / clear coat on the first car. That alone is already a lot to learn at this point . Initially I thought of single stage but heck I might as well do it better than that so decided on a 2 stage paint job.. Then later maybe once I can paint really good , I can use lot better paints like candy or paints used on exotic cars.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-15-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 04:49 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Dang , just checked those cars' colors and they look really good . I will keep them in mind and do more research on their materials and see if I can do those colors. Looks like those colors are not yet suitable for a wannabee painter like me since they are 3 stage , hahaha. Thanks !

Mercedes Mars Red = C590
Lamborghini Bianco Canopus = PPG 0107
Lamborghini Monterey Blue = PPG 0031

I might have to stick with 2 stage for now ... base coat / clear coat on the first car. That alone is already a lot to learn at this point . Initially I thought of single stage but heck I might as well do it better than that so decided on a 2 stage paint job.. Then later maybe once I can paint really good , I can use lot better paints like candy or paints used on exotic cars.
That sounds like a solid plan. I knew those colors were a little out there for a beginner, but I would love to see a SC in any of those colors. I want to see mars red the most.

Bianco Canopus is one of the most pure colors I've ever seen in person. It makes my SC look extra yellow when parked next to it.
Old 04-16-17, 11:09 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Gerry, you should keep the OMT the same color but update with the new Tacoma color....I believe it is called "Quicksand"
Old 04-16-17, 03:40 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ Ryan - every time I see this picture below , since OMT has the APTech Body kit which is exactly same as the Auto Couture pictured below... part of me wants to keep it just as is ... sandstone beige which is truly a sleeper color . And at 940rwhp , a car whose color looks like it belongs to a grandpa (which actually I am , hahaha) , it would be unsuspecting and I can di?k around with almost 99% of cars on the street whenever I want to. As my buddy Aaron (geauxsimon) says , "You naughty old man" , hahaha . So it will be perfect . After all sandstone beige matches well with the interior which is also light beige and one of the best original interior I have ever seen . It comes from a 38k miles car so its condition is really phenomenal and it still smells like new. Another advantage is I don't have to tear apart the inside and paint the cabin nor the inside of the trunk and engine bay. That is really a big plus .

When you do the painting , you can't make up your mind . There are tons of nice colors just like what Blkexcoupe had suggested . You damn want to have all of them
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-autocouture-sc55.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 06-29-17 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 02:22 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,242 Likes on 866 Posts

^^ You know, that sandstone beige/tan color in the above picture looks really nice. A very appropriately 1990's color. I agree that it has a sleeper appeal.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys