Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 05:15 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
@LoveSCs - if you will do a lot of welding , go with the better MIG welder right away as Ali said.

@KahnBB6 - yeah , the welding skill can come very handy. I still have to hone really my skill. I want to do aluminum welding too cause it cost so much to get things done. I just want the skill for my personal use so I save tons.

it might be good news for you and your family and the Eastern Side of FL after all since it looks like the hurricane had shifted to the west. Hope everyone will be safe. Property can be replaced but not one's life. I know we have tons of forum members from FL , GA , AL .
^^ I know my family will be safe through it. Yes, property can be replaced. Life cannot be. Friends of mine who live on the west coast of Florida, south Florida and some of the islands to the south have taken drastic precautions or have in some cases left town by now. We have a lot of forum members here in the southern states that will be affected by this storm. Florida is especially dangerous right now and I hope everyone has put themselves in a safe spot either out of state or in very strong structures if they plan to ride it out.

As of a couple of hours ago I last heard the storm was once again downgraded to a Cat4 (it was a Cat5, then a Cat4, then a Cat5 again for a few hours before this news) which is still horrible but any weakening we can get at all is better in the next few hours.

^^ As you said, Gerry, the more welding you practice the better you will get at it. You will certainly save a lot in labor costs if you can do it yourself. It's one of the best universal practical skills to have, I think (skill at welding in multiple disciplines).
Old 09-09-17, 02:05 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ As you said, Gerry, the more welding you practice the better you will get at it. You will certainly save a lot in labor costs if you can do it yourself. It's one of the best universal practical skills to have, I think (skill at welding in multiple disciplines).
Oh yeah , before I redid this exhaust of the OldManTan, I got a rough estimate of $600-$800 to redo my whole exhaust , tucking up my downpipe and midpipe which entails removing , measuring , cutting , re-welding and reinstalling and same thing with the cat back with an addition of a 4" v-band and 4" x 20" long pipe to be merged to the dual 3" exhaust . I told myself that I can do it and just did it . Spent less than $100 on everything .

It may not be the prettiest welding or I would say it maybe sh?tty looking , lmaol , but I tried to make sure there are no leaks . The only paint I have around was blue so I did paint the whole exhaust from mid pipe till before the muffler and its shields just to prevent rusting and make it look a bit clean though I know it won't be seen by anyone . One day, I would like to paint & clean up the whole under carriage of this OldManTan. Being a 25 year old car , it definitely needs some refreshing . All my SCs are southern cars so no stubborn rust . The most is surface rust.

This car is already lowered and now I can still lower it another 2" in spite of the fact that I have a 4" down pipe and mid pipe. That exhaust had been tucked in pretty good I would say . This just proves that nobody will take care better of your sh?t but yourself.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_164528.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_164547.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_164615.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_164715.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 09-09-17 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 02:31 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

When I lowered the car , I used to have 1.5" clearance between the pavement and that massive 4" down pipe / mid pipe . I was scraping the damn thing in every hump , bump, incline and dips on the road.

Now I have 5" clearance so I would lower the car another 2" , to make it look even better.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_172022.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_172031.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 09-09-17 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 05:48 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Both my SCs which has the APTech Body Kit and which badly needs a paint job now has full 4" dual exhaust . Drove the OldManTan around town and a 10 mile drive just to see how the dual exhaust sound and I love it !
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_192557.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_192606.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_192615.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_192520.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_192529.jpg  

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170909_192544.jpg  
Old 09-09-17, 09:55 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Those pipes look great! Even the cool blue-teal color! From the outside of the car you cannot tell there is a full 4" system under there. Those Magnaflows... I recognize them from a way back when I was going through their entire catalog. Despite how abnormal an exhaust system like that is, they go very well with your sleeper look
Old 09-10-17, 12:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

gerrb who is tuning the proefi on all those cars? Do you have any vids of any of them anywhere? Curious to see.
Old 09-10-17, 03:25 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
gerrb who is tuning the proefi on all those cars? Do you have any vids of any of them anywhere? Curious to see.
I have been doing all my tuning . I got AEM V2 , AEM Infinity , Haltech and proEFI . There are no proEFI tuners in GA so you got to learn and do it yourself . I just rent dyno time around. Now I am going Motec on my Ultimate Sleeper so need to go into a Motec Training soon . When you have a number of vehicles that needs to be retuned whenever you make major changes on the setup , it pays off just going training and learn for yourself. Once you get to know the principles of tuning , it is all about learning the features of the software / firmware of the particular ECU you are currently working on. You save tons of money. Otherwise every re tune or tweaking costs money and I hate the fact that my own ECU is being locked by a tuner so much so that I cannot do anything about it and am at someone else mercy .'

For anyone interested in tuning , attend the 5 day training from the EFI University ( EFI101.com ) . It is pricey but it is all worth it. It will have hands on dyno training too. Then just rent dyno time and keep on practicing / tweaking your car's tune . Doing is the only way to master the trade.

For someone who had been asking and for the info of many ... "when do you need billet mains ?"

That all depends on the power goal and the use of the car . IF you are 1000rwhp and below , they are not a necessity . It will be nice to have if funds are not a problem but above 1krwhp it is suggested that you do get them. But people like Darin , have been using stock mains caps up to 1100rwhp and he brings his car to the drag strips. Of course there are others factors to consider like the use of the car and so on. Darin does his own tuning so every detail is considered. The tune plays a very important role in the longevity of your car . So I would say 99.5% of SC owners I reckon would never need them.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-10-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 03:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting. Do you have any exhaust clips or drive by videos or anything from the track? Just realized I've never seen any and would love to if you got them!
Old 09-10-17, 04:13 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I never go to the track . My cars are street cars , that is how I build them. Just to support my ego on the streets whenever necessary. I hate spending money to tear apart a car on the track. Every one has their own interests I guess. The track or being after a time slip is not something for me. I am very impatient on the streets especially if I am done wrong and having a car to support that ego is why I built my cars . Let someone try me on the streets and he will get the worst of me .

One thing I have always been warned by my local police friends around , never post any street driving videos above speed limits . They can give you a citation since that is a proof. They can tell how fast you go without seeing that speedometer. And if you have DMV friends who can access records , they will be able to tell the number of speeding tickets , speed over the limit and fines I have paid. I almost lost my drivers license already and be suspended for 3 years from driving .

Seriously thinking of buying a dyno and put it in my back yard and do tuning every now and then. A few friends had been encouraging me . So even if retired , I can make money at my leisure time.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-10-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 07:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

gerrb you going to TX2K next year? I am thinking of going.
Old 09-11-17, 05:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

No I won't. I believe the SILV is a lot better to go now with all the 2jz oriented cars. TX2K is very diverse now. All kinds of cars.
Old 09-11-17, 09:58 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Those pipes look great! Even the cool blue-teal color! From the outside of the car you cannot tell there is a full 4" system under there. Those Magnaflows... I recognize them from a way back when I was going through their entire catalog. Despite how abnormal an exhaust system like that is, they go very well with your sleeper look
That's why I love these SCs , I am able to fool a lot of newer cars like corvettes , mustangs , camaros on the road . They are unsuspecting for a 25 year old car .

I am returning all my 4 Supra MKIVs to stock drive / power trains since stock 6 speed MKIVs sell so well now. I will end up too with a lot of aftermarket stuff and built engines. That will save me money on my Ultimate SC Sleeper since two of the MKIVs have 3.4l stroker motors. I will use one of them on that SC. I have seen stock 6 speeds going for $60k now and for the original hard tops with less than 50k of miles are selling between $60k - $80k. One of my hard tops MKIV has 38k miles and the other is at around 63k . So I expect them to fetch good $$$. One targa top has less than 50k and the other at around 120k. So selling them as stock 6 speeds with stock twins just makes sense , making more money and I end up with a lot of aftermarket stuff and built engines for my SCs. It is these cars that I see myself having them for a long time since they don't sell well anyway. I could hardly sell a stock low mileage 1997 SC300 5 speed or an SC with a 2jzgte swap for a good price. Those who wanted the damn cars are broke *** kids offering me $4k or trade for a damn old Honda Civic or legend . And we have seen these with people who posts their cars on our classified ads. They either can't sell them or give them away for nothing.

The MKIVs , it is time to cash in ! Selling them stock 6 speeds is the best way to go at this point . I will get 3x my investments on them even if I sell them stock. At stock , having them appraised , I will get at least $300k.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-11-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-11-17, 07:11 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
The MKIVs , it is time to cash in ! Selling them stock 6 speeds is the best way to go at this point . I will get 3x my investments on them even if I sell them stock. At stock , having them appraised , I will get at least $300k.
Does this mean you're collecting more SCs? jk
Old 09-12-17, 01:11 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Does this mean you're collecting more SCs? jk
if I sell all my 4 MKIVs I believe I can build another 15 x 6speed 2jzgte SCs spending $20k per SC which is more than enough since I have no labor cost....lol

well I am done. I will just choose two of what I have..
one 6speed and one built auto...and make them the best I can with drive / powertrains that make them the ultimate sleepers..and make them pretty too. They will be my toys to keep. Tough selling SCs... no market. Well , correction, there is but nobody wants to pay for what they are truly worth meaning what it will cost to build one. I will get myself busy with something else so I don't keep on tinkering with these 2jz toys.

I wish now I would have kept all the 9 MKIVs I had in the past 8 years. They could have been a good fortune now.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-12-17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 04:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

After you let some of those go.. I bet you'll consider building that SC430. I think one of those 3.4L 6 speeds would be very happy in that chassis

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys