2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 12:13 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ I like that approach a lot. Very efficient

I've been reading some more on simple IC water spray systems versus CO2 (and now I will have to add nitrous alongside CO2) and the compressed gas seems to be more preferred now or at least gets better consistent results in testing. I have seen water spray systems used on many 80's and 90's rally cars but maybe they were restricted from using anything other than pure water for external cooling as per class rules.
the other issue I see with having CO2 is I hate to accidentally interchange , due to one day being absent minded, the lines for the N20 and CO2 and that will be a big problem if I have C02 instead of N2O into the engine . So I will use N2O for both the Direct Port Nitrous System and NX N-tercooler System.

Looking forward to what comes next for this one.
This morning I have installed 3.5" pipes pre-intercooler and 4" pipes post- intercooler PLUS Two Tial Blow OFF Valves, one pre and one post intercooler .

Why two BOV you might ask ? With the huge turbos I will be using (Gen 2 PT-8385 CEA initially for dyno and Gen 2 PT-7675 CEA for daily) , there would be a lot of air flowing towards the engine and an abrupt closing of the throttle body would be detrimental to the turbo if that excess air isn't bleeded before it is pushed back to the turbo compressor wheel .

Still not sure if I will keep the body of this Ultimate SC 3.4 6 speed Sleeper all stock body or use an APTech Body Kit , though am inclined to keep it all stock .. so it truly is a sleeper . That is something I would worry about later since it will be easy to install a body kit if ever. I already have a Red Mamba so the color would definitely change.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20171024_140023.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20171024_135919.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 10-24-17 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 03:33 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,242 Likes on 866 Posts

You know what bumpers I'm going to vote for with RM2, Gerry Super sleeper all the way!

The worst case scenario you lay out mixing CO2 lines with NO2 lines makes a lot of sense. You're right-- it would probably be too easy to mix them up during some occasion and CO2 in the engine would be catastrophic.

Twin BOV's aren't common I think but it completely makes sense here with you pushing as much power as you plan to. They'll sound awesome! This is silly but is it possible to ever so slightly stagger the timings of their valve openings so that it sounds like a rapid "tsh-tsh"? Probably not a practical thing to do for function but if it didn't affect function it would sound very mean and a little weird to people still trying to understand what's with the old Lexus that just walked away from them. Another quality to throw someone off. That probably wouldn't work though Just hearing them in perfect synchronicity would probably be enough.
Old 10-25-17, 03:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ am leaning to an all stock looking car Craig , so it truly willl be a sleeper .

I doubt you can intentionally time the BOV openings. The whole pipe line from the turbo compressor , inter-cooler to the throttle body is filled with charged / compressed air so I would assume both BOV opens at the same time once TB is closed. My guess is , the one closest to the TB will open first since it sees first the flowing air being blocked by the TB and that chain reaction goes backward going back to the turbo to create that backward surge.

When you come over my place up North Atlanta , bring another guy to drive one of the 1997 SC300 5 speed, lol. I will give it to you for a good price in installment since I know you. Am tired of seeing it and the last time I drove it was 3 months ago so I would better let someone enjoy it.

Last edited by gerrb; 10-25-17 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 05:02 PM
KahnBB6

What you say makes complete sense regarding why you can't specifically time BOV valve openings. I was thinking purely in audible aesthetic terms when I suggested that but reflecting on it and your explanation I realize it's not a realistic idea. Still, a close second might be how the synchronized BOV's sound when they open and close. Now I'm completely back to pure aesthetic idea mode again

As-is in visual terms that unassuming red SC (RM2) wins me over. And now it will be an angry red 1,000whp+++ 3.4L 6-speed land missile

Well, let me fill you in on my east coast drive plans over PM or text. I am still short a couple of parts (most critically an adequate clutch and new coil packs) but I think I will have to make it happen soon regardless. I will stop at your place and an old friend's place also in GA before I get to Florida.

That poor resting 97 SC300 M/T you have... I cannot buy another car at this time (let alone another SC) but if I *could* I would seriously buy that one from you and keep it a low use east coast car. I know it's in good shape and due to the rarity I'd even be inclined to keep it W58/NA, save a basic suspension, swaybar, brake and LSD upgrade.

A good close friend of mine out here loves manual SC's but he's too mentally and financially tied up with a 4x4 restoration project of his own to be a real candidate. An older family member back in Florida who has driven my '93 NA M/T says he likes the original SC's a lot and I have teased him with many ads before. I can let him know and see what might interest him but I can't say for sure at current time. He's a retired car and boat guy who is very handy with tools and tinkering who likes a fun ride and knows what these cars are. Hypothetically he'd be more inclined to tweak the car just a bit while leaving the engine stock. While driving my car he said it had enough power for him. He's also going to graciously help me with the engine removal and GTE engine installation once my SC is in Florida again. If he were to be seriously interested then I know he would take care of and enjoy the rare SC with his preference of a manual transmission without the need to go all out modifying it. I can't say for certain Gerry but I will let him know that your car is available and any details about it.
Old 10-25-17, 05:05 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

That poor resting 97 SC300 M/T you have... I cannot buy another car at this time (let alone another SC)
That's not the right attitude, Kahn!
Old 10-26-17, 03:27 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Now I'm completely back to pure aesthetic idea mode again . As-is in visual terms that unassuming red SC (RM2) wins me over. And now it will be an angry red 1,000whp+++ 3.4L 6-speed land missile
the aesthetic look is what I had in mind that's why I installed them on each side of that massive intercooler. Seeing one on each hole / side .. looks good .

well I know how you want that RM2 all stock look. I remember when you were in my place up north , loving that car .. hahaha

it will truly be a good sleeper .. that is why I call it the Ultimate Sleeper .... 3.4L 2jzgte VVTi , 6 speed with direct port nitrous ... I don't know what else to put into it to make it even better

Well, let me fill you in on my east coast drive plans over PM or text. I am still short a couple of parts (most critically an adequate clutch and new coil packs) but I think I will have to make it happen soon regardless. I will stop at your place and an old friend's place also in GA before I get to Florida.
Let me know your plans so I can be there. The stuff are ready on a bin.

Also , we have decided to give the SC430 I bought to my youngest son so he will be picking it up. Being a very low mileage car , I didn't feel like tearing it apart just to put in a 2jzgte . You two can make the drive together from California. He picks up the car from my cousin's place in West Covina and you two meet up for the trip.

That poor resting 97 SC300 M/T you have... I cannot buy another car at this time (let alone another SC) but if I *could* I would seriously buy that one from you and keep it a low use east coast car. I know it's in good shape and due to the rarity I'd even be inclined to keep it W58/NA, save a basic suspension, swaybar, brake and LSD upgrade.
No worries , that car won't get damaged where it is right now . I reckon it will only appreciate in value as time pass. I believe it is one of the low mileage 1997 SC300 5speed still running so worth keeping it all stock for someone who isn't really into the 2jzgte swaps.

Last edited by gerrb; 10-26-17 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 05:01 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
That's not the right attitude, Kahn!
Tom, you misunderstand me, lol (but you may have just been kidding with me?). By "another car" I was thinking of pretty much a plain old normal appliance econobox or a utility van. Something very boring and normal along those lines. To me those would be baseline utilitarian choices, not passionate choices for a car. A 97 SC 5-speed is a nice car choice of course compared to a cheap econobox or utility van. But that is how my mind was working when I posted that. I was actually trying to convey that a nice SC requires a little more care and respect than just any "car" Which of course any of these cars deserve.
Old 10-26-17, 05:41 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by gerrb
the aesthetic look is what I had in mind that's why I installed them on each side of that massive intercooler. Seeing one on each hole / side .. looks good .

well I know how you want that RM2 all stock look. I remember when you were in my place up north , loving that car .. hahaha

it will truly be a good sleeper .. that is why I call it the Ultimate Sleeper .... 3.4L 2jzgte VVTi , 6 speed with direct port nitrous ... I don't know what else to put into it to make it even better
RM2 is certainly my favorite of your cars in that unassuming original bodywork Very classic style sleeper.

It will definitely look good with the BOV's on each side of the intercooler. Symmetry with stuff like that does something to the observer

Just thinking out loud...

1400whp with a manual stroker running nitrous is pretty extreme. I can think of one other thing: that 6 piston front and 4 piston rear brake upgrade Jim did to his blue SC. I think you'll need a setup like that at a bare minimum with that much power. However the calipers can't be a bright color like his to stay with the sleeper look.

Also maybe a set of MKIV seats matched to the interior leather color? But I don't think you have been bothered much by stock SC seats. I drive on mountain roads so much I instantly fell in love with the (to non SC people) almost stock looking MKIV seats. Only SC or MKIV people even think my seats aren't what the car came with originally.

Then again, a 180whp to 350whp SC on tight mountain roads with its long wheelbase helps the driver with bolstered bucket seats because you want to be held in place during such rapid turning. A 1400whp SC with driven much more often on straighter roads including big multi-lane straight sections probably doesn't need bolstered bucket seats as much.

I know you've got some traction control scheme in mind too since you're tuning with a standalone ECU.

All of this I know you've already considered or have planned for. I think you're right... there aren't too many other things that you haven't already covered.

Let me know your plans so I can be there. The stuff are ready on a bin.

Also , we have decided to give the SC430 I bought to my youngest son so he will be picking it up. Being a very low mileage car , I didn't feel like tearing it apart just to put in a 2jzgte . You two can make the drive together from California. He picks up the car from my cousin's place in West Covina and you two meet up for the trip.
The current plan is that I will want to drive out from L.A. at the very start of December. I will start out on I-40 but I am trying to see if I will take a different set of roads after Texas this time. I will have room in my trunk for those extra parts. Let me keep you up to date soon as the plans solidify and let's see if I can coordinate with your son for the drive if he and you and planning for a similar timeframe.

Somewhere in the middle of the trip at least once I will get the car's oil changed. Maybe twice over the entire trip. I don't want to pay their prices for labor (I will have my own extra oil and filters with me) but I may chart out a few Lexus dealers on the route for this. There is a repaired oil pan drain plug (a previous mechanic's shop whom I do not use any longer stripped the original drain plug threads which required an aftermarket replacement repair) that has to be used a certain way and I'm not sure I want to trust a Jiffy Lube in the middle of nowhere to get it right lest they damage the repaired pan and drain bolt. The fixed drain bolt has a lower section that has to be held in place with a 3/4" wrench while the bolt is loosened with a 19mm (I think) wrench.

Of course I would watch the mechanic at the Lexus dealer like a hawk, too. I don't want to test how well the engine will do on a normal oil use interval across the country with the coolant leak issue it has. When the oil isn't used for more than 500-1,000 miles it seems to be fine.

As long as I pay attention to that and keep an extra jug of coolant in the trunk the SC is fine for the long drive. 246k miles and tough as nails, the 2JZ.

No worries , that car won't get damaged where it is right now . I reckon it will only appreciate in value as time pass. I believe it is one of the low mileage 1997 SC300 5speed still running so worth keeping it all stock for someone who isn't really into the 2jzgte swaps.
I think you are right. I don't see it hurting the value to tastefully change just a couple of suspension basics to a clean low miles stock 97 5-speed just to allow it to handle better than stock. The rest of it, being that original after this many years, I think is what is better left stock to preserve originality.

For what I have put into my car's uncommonly crazy GTE swap I could probably have bought two stock '97 5 speeds from you by now Well...maybe just 1.6 of them.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-26-17 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 06:38 AM
Farhan
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

stock body MKIV/SC + 3.4L stroked + VVTI + medium sized turbo/QSV + FlexFuel = my holy grail. Can't wait to see this build complete!
Old 10-26-17, 07:31 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gerrb come out to my neck of the woods lol
Old 10-26-17, 12:44 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Farhan
stock body MKIV/SC + 3.4L stroked + VVTI + medium sized turbo/QSV + FlexFuel = my holy grail. Can't wait to see this build complete!
Thanks ... it will be a little rocket !

Originally Posted by chnk
Gerrb come out to my neck of the woods lol
Dang.... Chris ... update your build thread . It has been two years since your last update. Is the wide body kit installed ? Let me know , I will swing by your place to check it out.

Also maybe a set of MKIV seats matched to the interior leather color? But I don't think you have been bothered much by stock SC seats. I drive on mountain roads so much I instantly fell in love with the (to non SC people) almost stock looking MKIV seats. Only SC or MKIV people even think my seats aren't what the car came with originally.
SC seats do not bother me at all but this car has the Infinity Q60 IPL seats. I moved them here since I have restored the 1997 SC300 5 speed to all stock parts. I am not a big fan of the MKIV seats to be honest. I have been selling my MKIV seats to local members here . The interior of this car would be all black to match the Infinity seats.

The current plan is that I will want to drive out from L.A. at the very start of December. I will start out on I-40 but I am trying to see if I will take a different set of roads after Texas this time. I will have room in my trunk for those extra parts. Let me keep you up to date soon as the plans solidify and let's see if I can coordinate with your son for the drive if he and you and planning for a similar timeframe.

Somewhere in the middle of the trip at least once I will get the car's oil changed. Maybe twice over the entire trip. I don't want to pay their prices for labor (I will have my own extra oil and filters with me) but I may chart out a few Lexus dealers on the route for this. There is a repaired oil pan drain plug (a previous mechanic's shop whom I do not use any longer stripped the original drain plug threads which required an aftermarket replacement repair) that has to be used a certain way and I'm not sure I want to trust a Jiffy Lube in the middle of nowhere to get it right lest they damage the repaired pan and drain bolt. The fixed drain bolt has a lower section that has to be held in place with a 3/4" wrench while the bolt is loosened with a 19mm (I think) wrench.

Of course I would watch the mechanic at the Lexus dealer like a hawk, too. I don't want to test how well the engine will do on a normal oil use interval across the country with the coolant leak issue it has. When the oil isn't used for more than 500-1,000 miles it seems to be fine.

As long as I pay attention to that and keep an extra jug of coolant in the trunk the SC is fine for the long drive. 246k miles and tough as nails, the 2JZ.

Let me talk to my son and see if he can wait that long. Since we told him this past weekend that I am giving him the SC430 , he couldn't wait to fly and pick it up and make the trip. Well, he got a $18k SC430 for free , what else does he want . My only condition was it stays in my name since it is already titled and once it konks out or not interested with it anymore then I will get it back plus of course I want to see the body and interior in tip top condition all the time. That is all what I am interested after all. Maybe later I will have back that zest to put a 2jzgte.... not now . I hate to do the swap and just throw or put aside a very low mileage drive / power train.

I can think of one other thing: that 6 piston front and 4 piston rear brake upgrade Jim did to his blue SC. I think you'll need a setup like that at a bare minimum with that much power. However the calipers can't be a bright color like his to stay with the sleeper look.
It will definitely have the best front and rear brakes because of the power goal. Will look at 6 or 8 pot calipers once am on that part . Dang .... need to be able to stop a 1500rwhp rocket or I will be history . I would keep everything as stock looking as possible. The only thing that might give an idea that there is something on the car will be the wide 345 tires , seeing them from behind. The car's rear fenders have been flared today like that of Red Mamba. As usual, I was able to get an extra 50mm from stock quarter panel. Still a little bit of work though as seen on the pictures. Trying to clean up the small imperfections that I cannot get from pushing that fender out.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20171026_154818.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20171026_154827.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 10-26-17 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 08:45 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Tom, you misunderstand me, lol (but you may have just been kidding with me?)
Was 100% messing around with you.
Old 10-28-17, 05:40 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

after a lot of thinking about those two BOVs , one on each side of the inter-cooler in front of the left and right opening of the bumper, I believe they won't be the right place to be . They sure look so good there but what if I am caught on the road with a heavy rainstorm ? Is there a danger of ingesting water through the BOVs ? That question had been bothering me in the past 24 hours . I know , the BOVs are pushing air out but a heavy rainstorm can push water through them too as they start to close .. wouldn't it ? That water depending on volume getting into the engine wouldn't be fun. Not unless , I would never use the car when it rains . That I cannot say since you can always be caught with it while your are out.

I might have to rethink the location of those two BOVs . But sure do look good right where they are right now . I never had that kind of dual BOV setup but the thought of water ingestion through the BOVs is now bothering me.

Last edited by gerrb; 10-28-17 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-28-17, 05:52 PM
KahnBB6

^^ You know, I hadn't thought of that but maybe you're right...? If the BOVs happen to expel all the pressurized air and for a brief moment create a vacuum at their openings before they close again maybe some small amount of moisture could be sucked in. I'm not sure if this is a valid hypothetical scenario or not but it would concern me too. There is always a chance of being caught in the rain.

It's a shame to have to remove and reposition them under the hood but if that's what it will take to be safe then so be it.
Old 10-29-17, 09:43 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ keeping the two Tial Blow Off Valves where they are because they are pretty where they are right now and the PSSSTT sound will be loudest there ..

If I get caught on a heavy rainstorm while using the car which will be very rare, since I am not gonna be boosting on wet roads anyway , I will get into a gas station or secured place ...remove the Tial BOVs and cap them off so water won't get in

Below you will find the available caps for the Tial BOVs
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-atp-fls-230.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 10-29-17 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys