Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 02:59 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,242 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
^^^ Indeed it is a powerful sedan. It kinda haul a?s . I guess it was meant to rival the M3s. Hmmm, so it doesn't have an lsd. I didn't find any info on it when I was searching about that rear end.
It was definitely Lexus' first attempt to directly compete with the M3 sedan... although the current 3 Series chassis is as big as an E39 5 Series chassis. They really need to do another one that competes more directly with the M2 (which itself is much more "classic M3" sized)... and with a 6-speed manual The RC-F looks very good but is also very heavy.

Yep. In stock form the 2008-2009 IS-F's had an open diff but did have an "electronic LSD"... which probably means mechanically an open diff but with brake-based control. 2010+ IS-F's got a real Torsen LSD and apparently this did help very significantly as you'd expect:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lsd-right.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eted-pics.html

Then again, this might be the ultimate version of that generation IS chassis even if the IS-F does have more stock horsepower

http://my.is/forums/f219/is250-is350-6mt-build-564794/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...completed.html

At any rate it is not something I will keep. Maybe enjoy it for a couple of weeks then let it go. Well, as you know , cutting on the number of vehicles so the stock GTE SC had to go and I don't mind at this point. With the trade , my buddy actually was just interested on the GTE SC . He wants to sell the 97 5 speed too. He won't even take it with him.
Yes, and you'd only be reducing one instead of two cars if you kept it Still... between the IS-F and your Benz? Just saying... they both have four doors and one is faster

That 97 5-speed you traded him will probably show up on the forums before long

I would still need that complete short block. It can wait buddy, no hurry . Need to put that 97 SC 5 speed without engine back to all stock again.

So you are back in the west already ?
If the timeframe is still okay then you will have it as promised I left the SC driveable until I get back to begin the swap. There is only a bit left to complete with the GTE wiring harness. Yep, I have been back on the west coast for a couple of weeks now. In late February I'll be back to finish everything just before many other things will get underway.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-27-18 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-27-18, 09:22 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn´t say no to an ISf. Not as beautiful as a Supra or an SC ( ), but man I would like to have that engine on a daily driver. Have you decided to do the trade?

Old 01-27-18, 12:01 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Still... between the IS-F and your Benz? Just saying... they both have four doors and one is faster
Craig - you are making me think of letting go of my beloved Benz . You know I love that car .

Originally Posted by Lettut
I wouldn´t say no to an ISf. Not as beautiful as a Supra or an SC ( ), but man I would like to have that engine on a daily driver. Have you decided to do the trade? .
Anders - yes sir . But I doubt it will stay long with me. You want it on the next boat to Sweden ? . Savannah port authority is just 250 miles away from me or even Magnus in VA , your freight guy isn't really that far away. I can easily make that drive for you , hahaha .
Old 01-27-18, 01:40 PM
KahnBB6

Craig - you are making me think of letting go of my beloved Benz . You know I love that car .
Only joking my friend I know you love that Benz. That car is one of the best that M-B ever made.
Old 01-28-18, 08:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Only joking my friend I know you love that Benz. That car is one of the best that M-B ever made.

I know you were ! You see how it rode good when you were around my place. At this point , having a low mileage on that MBenz and having done all the maintenance on that car since I had it , I know every bolt and nut on the car. It will serve me a very long time . Every time I need to use a sedan , it will always be ready to rock and roll .

Well, pretty sure before summer , your 2jzGTE SC will be on the road. You don't have much to do after all !
Old 01-29-18, 04:41 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Anders - yes sir . But I doubt it will stay long with me. You want it on the next boat to Sweden ? . Savannah port authority is just 250 miles away from me or even Magnus in VA , your freight guy isn't really that far away. I can easily make that drive for you , hahaha
Don´t tempt me man . No more cars for me for now . Wouldn´t be good for my marriage .

Old 01-29-18, 03:15 PM
KahnBB6

I know you were ! You see how it rode good when you were around my place. At this point , having a low mileage on that MBenz and having done all the maintenance on that car since I had it , I know every bolt and nut on the car. It will serve me a very long time . Every time I need to use a sedan , it will always be ready to rock and roll .

Well, pretty sure before summer , your 2jzGTE SC will be on the road. You don't have much to do after all !
I would definitely not suggest you let go of your E320 That model is one of the best and will last for a very long time.

I am definitely close with my SC. And there will be more time to sort it all out. I have considered a couple of extras beyond the bare bones swap: for one, maybe getting a custom steel driveshaft made by SFS to replace the OEM Supra MKIII Turbo R154 front driveshaft and rear SC section, thus eliminating my stock carrier bearing. I have a brand new never used SC d/s carrier bearing if I need it but I'm wondering if perhaps a one piece driveshaft that is freshly balanced might be a good idea for the long term.

The rest... I just have to get back to and finish. I think I may install the GTE harness on the engine so that I can see all of the sensor connector locations and test all of them to the body pins that way before I wrap and tidy the body plug wiring. Some of it I left a tiny bit long but I assume that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-01-18, 11:31 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

That 97 5-speed you traded him will probably show up on the forums before long
My buddy is not interested with it so we will let it go for a good price . I just need to see that it goes to someone who we believe will take care of it. We will let it go for a price some one will really be happy .

Originally Posted by Lettut
Don´t tempt me man . No more cars for me for now . Wouldn´t be good for my marriage .
I told my wife not to meddle with my toys or she will be on the classified ads quick j/k.

Let her buy anything she wants whenever she wants to and she won't meddle with your toys ! Just be ready , you will see her packages coming in every day .

I would definitely not suggest you let go of your E320 That model is one of the best and will last for a very long time.
Yeah , it is not going anywhere . European cars have bad resale values anyway .
Old 02-14-18, 08:40 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Default OldManTan 1200rwhp E85 Fuel Setup

For those asking about the detailed fuel setup of my OldManTan here you go ... found pictures I took before I installed it in the car.

The setup can support between 1100rwhp - 1200rwhp on E85 . I made around 950rwhp on this car with a lot of available fuel still. You can never be wrong when your fuel system is overkill. Also this setup is a lot cheaper than what I have on my Ultimate SC Sleeper that has a Weldon -2345a and 3 Denso Pumps that can support well over 2000rwhp on E85.

Fuel setup compose of :
1 x SC Fuel tank ... bottom openings were welded so there are no leaks.
1 x Surge Tank with 4 x -8an and 2 x -6an fittings
2 x Bosch 044 One Way Check Valves
1 x Y fitting (2 x -8an to 1 x -10an)
1 x -10 stainless fuel filter for E85
1 x Flex Fuel Sensor
-10 an PTFE fuel lines
- 8 an PTFE fuel lines
- 6 an PTFE fuel line
- Miscellaneous fittings
2 x Bosch 044 Pumps - installed beside the Surge Tank
1 x Denso Pump - this is installed inside the SC fuel tank. I was suppose to use also a Bosch 044 inside the tank but it is louder to my liking so replaced it with a Denso Pump .

* Denso pump provides fuel to the -10an line through the -10an T-fitting.
* Fuel from Denso pump doesn't flow back to the surge tank because of the two One Way Check Valves
* Up to 350rwhp on E85 and 500 on Pump 93 , the Denso pump provides the fuel towards the fuel filter and fuel rail.
* Fuel returns to the surge tank using the -8an line . You also have the flex fuel sensor on the return line so your ECU can adjust your map on the fly depending on alcohol content of your fuel.
* Once the Surge tank fills up, fuel returns to the main tank using the -6an line.
* Both Bosch 044 lines get their supply from the surge tank
* You can activate each Bosch pump based on boost so you don't use them uselessly and heat up the fuel. By the time you are using them, their noise should be drowned by your exhaust since by that time you are already above 500rwhp.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20171230_114150.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111320.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111300.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111327.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111334.jpg  

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111414.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111338.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111405.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180214_111346.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 02-14-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 07:32 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

So these are the fuel system setups of my Daily Driver SC and my Ultimate SC Sleeper . I guess not so sleeper if somebody look into the trunks of these SCs. These are the two SCs that will stay with me I guess for a while . My mind is still dilly dallying whether to keep a third boosted SC or not ... maybe yes and maybe not but definitely not 6 as I used to have . Right now I was able to cut them into 4 and my dear wife is happy . Two out of the 4 SCs I have now are the original 1997 SC300 5 speed.. I don't feel like molesting them anymore with a 6 speed 2jzgte swaps so keeping them stock and probably let someone enjoy them if someone is interested.

A lot of changes had happened on the engine bays of these two sleeper SCs since I last posted engine bay pictures. For now I will keep them under wraps though pretty sure some local forum members have had a glimpse of them already. Their fuel system setups I guess speak volume of the engines in-front that needs to be filled with alcohol so they go down the road fast ! Even the colors of these cars are changing this year so till then .....sleeper SCs FTW ,
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20171230_114150.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20180127_151848.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 02-22-18 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 03:37 AM
KahnBB6

So these are the fuel system setups of my Daily Driver SC and my Ultimate SC Sleeper . I guess not so sleeper if somebody look into the trunks of these SCs. These are the two SCs that will stay with me I guess for a while . My mind is still dilly dallying whether to keep a third boosted SC or not ... maybe yes and maybe not but definitely not 6 as I used to have . Right now I was able to cut them into 4 and my dear wife is happy . Two out of the 4 SCs I have now are the original 1997 SC300 5 speed.. I don't feel like molesting them anymore with a 6 speed 2jzgte swaps so keeping them stock and probably let someone enjoy them if someone is interested.

A lot of changes had happened on the engine bays of these two sleeper SCs since I last posted engine bay pictures. For now I will keep them under wraps though pretty sure some local forum members have had a glimpse of them already. Their fuel system setups I guess speak volume of the engines in-front that needs to be filled with alcohol so they go down the road fast ! Even the colors of these cars are changing this year so till then .....sleeper SCs FTW ,

The giveaway will be that the trunk will only fit one suitcase now instead of two because of the huge nitrous bottle and additional pumps taking up more room

I may be one of those who have seen the start of the new under-hood work but I know I haven't seen the finished form of any of them. When you eventually only have SC's I can still see you with three of them but as you've speculated to me before, one boosted auto and one boosted manual would still be the minimum. I can think of one variation that might be fun that isn't a 900whp+ auto or the 1500whp manual-- a lower powered (ie: 500whp??) hardtop manual set up more for canyon carving? What turbo I wouldn't speculate. I know you don't really care for the STU hybrids be they USDM or JDM. I'm trying to think of another boosted SC variation that the other two (RM2 and OMT) could not do as well despite their other good qualities. Then again... both your auto and manual can easily do mountain road duty. As you explained to me, you don't even have to (or won't always want to) use the full fuel system on the RM2 all the time, making it easily run at a lower power level until it is called for. Maybe the size of the turbo will be the only limiting factor there.

That is a tough one since you are narrowing down the cars but I think the answer will be not in the extreme capabilities but in some of the more practical or simple considerations.
Old 05-04-18, 06:11 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ Craig - I have narrowed down the SCs I am keeping . A minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 though am still wishy washy on the 3rd cause I have two already with the power I want them to have and here I am working on an Ultimate SC Sleeper ... sickness, addiction ... you name it ! So if I am only keeping two then one of those already running (940rwhp or 870rwhp) would have to go for which I am adamant to let go.

As you know I have sold one of the 4 built 6speed MKIVs . I have started cashing in on them. I got the car $25k 9 years ago and sold it for $100k recently. Well it is a 68k miles original 6 speed hard top at around 1krwhp so it went good. The hard top original 6 speeds are very hard to find. I wonder how much my 35k miles 3.4 stroker 6 speed hard top which I got for $38k 8 years ago , will sell . I will wait for the best offer on that. I have the feeling I will get all the money I spent acquiring the 4 6speed MKIVs from that car alone ... fingers crossed. It will be the last I will let go though . Might even keep it as remembrance and just put it in limbo inside my man's cave in the South. So now, I got a bit of cash to play around for my Ultimate SC Sleeper which already have a stroker 3.4 of course with all the bells and whistles...just need to get all the other bolt on accessories I want for the car to have. Motec stuff is so pricey !

Mocking up my exhaust manifold for my Ultimate SC Sleeper which as you know I am hoping to get 1500rwhp . With that power , every bit of power / torque have to be extracted but at the same time every ounce of protection I need to employ to save my engine and other stuff if something goes wrong.

The car will have a Motec ECU . I will be installing a thermo-couple on each runner so I can do tuning or modify trims of each cylinder . AFRs usually are an average of the 6 cylinders output but if you monitor every cylinder , you are in better shape to extract every bit of power from each cylinder , you know what is going on on each cylinder and adjust things accordingly per cylinder .

6 bungs installed on the exhaust manifold ... one per runnner so I can monitor what is going on for each cylinder

My exhaust manifold mockup on an extra GTE head show me I will have a problem on those manifold studs ... they are very long ..

one of them done ... 11 more

Last edited by gerrb; 05-04-18 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 11:05 PM
KahnBB6

I can't suggest what you should do with those cars, Gerry I mean, keeping one nice MKIV could be a good thing or selling them all down to the last one could also be a good thing. On one hand there is the monetary value in them and on the other... you'd still have a Supra MKIV. That's such a personal and emotional decision.

The SC's... it always seemed to me that you'd keep one GTE Auto and one GTE 6-speed (V160 or Magnum) at minimum. However with your 1500whp project I wonder if that is not a special case compared to a lesser powered manual turbo SC? So maybe that is your reason to keep three SC's?? I know your fuel system is staged so that it can be run in a low boost mode on just one Denso TT pump but maybe the overall tuning of that car is still better as a very very high horsepower machine rather than an everyday manual turbo SC.

You made a comment to me once that you liked how one of your cars with just a 2JZGTE on the JDM sequential twins at BPU and the stock A340E automatic was a great daily driver that you liked to go around town in on a regular basis. But perhaps that's what your 940whp ATF A340E car is doing now?

How many SC's are you down to right now anyway? You still have a couple to sell before you come to this decision, don't you?

I'd just work on your 1500whp car and focus on that. It may be an addiction but maybe getting that one near complete will make it clearer which ones you want to keep.

The individual cylinder tuning is going to be awesome! Has anyone else in the 2JZ world done that before?
Old 05-08-18, 05:12 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Yeah , I have seen some 2jz being monitored per cylinder by some 2jz big hitters with the Motec ECU. It will be fun learning the ins and out ... am new to it so am trying to be careful. Well, I have made my decision on which two to keep... the third I know too which one but it is a question of do I really need to keep it or not. It just bothers me to let go of the third since it is a good running car already at 870rwhp.

It will be nice to keep the best MKIV I have but to let a $150k car just be sitting wouldn't make a lot of sense anymore for me in my opinion . Exactly the reason I am building the 1500rwhp SC in exchange ... will have all the power I want , make it look good and not have as much money on it since am doing everything and finding deals on the parts I use. It just makes sense that having spent less than $135k on all the 4 6speed MKIVs 8-10 years ago to just cash in right now . Pretty sure with the way these cars are going in sale , I will get around $450 - $500k out of the 4 MKIVs. That is for me a very good return of investments..... enjoyed them for 10 years and yet still made a lot of money from them after I was done playing with them. Now I wish I kept all the 9 MKIVs I had in the past 10 years and started only disposing them now .. hahaha.

How many SCs I still have you ask ? Dang , instead of cutting on the number of SCs .. I don't seem to be heading there for now . Just this week , a friend told me he was junking his original 1993 5 speed shell . I couldn't take it , see it go to the junkyard to be crushed when it is really in great shape , very few original 5 speed SCs with clean title , so decided to buy it . I have the drivetrain to install on it if I decide to after all. So I have more SCs now than when you last came to see me in my place up in Atlanta. I believe I still had 5 then when you were there in Dec. . Got more now in that place ... .

Here is the green 1993 5 speed on the left that just got delivered to me the other day so I told them to put it in the backyard .. ... just wanted to save it from being crushed so I got it but I will trade it for some parts I can use like an exhaust manifold / turbo with anybody who wants an original 5 speed shell with a clean title. It has the front bumper , just not pictured. It actually is lowered already with lowering springs / suspensions.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-08-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-09-18, 11:05 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Sir - I like your style lol.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys